• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

If we're genuine about going for quality over quantity then we should only be looking to bring in, at most, two players imo. 

A forward who can either give Boyce competition or play alongside him; and, depending on Cammy Logan's recovery, a right wing back capable of consistently putting in decent crosses, perhaps on loan. 

If we get those, I'll be happy. 

1 hour ago, Trajan said:

If we're genuine about going for quality over quantity then we should only be looking to bring in, at most, two players imo. 

A forward who can either give Boyce competition or play alongside him; and, depending on Cammy Logan's recovery, a right wing back capable of consistently putting in decent crosses, perhaps on loan. 

To be fair the management have done an incredible job in ridding us of dead wood and bringing in quality. There's obviously a couple who haven't lived up to expectations but it has been much much better than the levein days. 

Savage has been outstanding in identifying targets.

A proper RWB is need as well.

An improvement on Boyce will be hard to come by imo. We might get a loan from an EPL under 23 team and I'm sure they will be technically gifted but may lack experience to make a significant impact, see Woodburn for details. 

1 hour ago, Trajan said:

Hopefully Logan will be ready to make the transition but if I recall correctly he was not a regular when he was on loan to Cove Rangers. 

12 minutes ago, Sertse said:

To be fair the management have done an incredible job in ridding us of dead wood and bringing in quality. There's obviously a couple who haven't lived up to expectations but it has been much much better than the levein days. 

Savage has been outstanding in identifying targets.

Are you sure?

McEneff doesn't even get a game

Nando is garbage

Woodburn lacks a cutting edge and dropped lately.

Moore not a first choice either, although maybe should be

Did Savage give Stewart the nod to make the loan permanent?

Edited by JamboAl

I feel we can get by in every position bar forward. We are desperate with almost nothing to offer. Possibly the weakest in the league in this department.

Really dislike the January window. Obviously there are exceptions but it's going to be difficult to find a goalscoring striker.

I wonder if we will look further afield to say Australia or somewhere again given the early success of Devlin.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Trajan said:

Agreed.
Logan is fit now but needs games to get his match fitness up, which they are struggling to do. 

Pasquale for King

Liverpool may well take Woodburn back if he isn’t playing or making much of an impact, if he doesn’t by January that might not be a bad thing so hopefully they have a contingency plan in place. 
I think the forward we look at might be a loan, RN has loaned a forward in January in every window he’s been here so far. 

17 minutes ago, Homme said:

Really dislike the January window. Obviously there are exceptions but it's going to be difficult to find a goalscoring striker.

I wonder if we will look further afield to say Australia or somewhere again given the early success of Devlin.

Maybe Kenny Miller can give a name or two to Robbie and Lee. Last week on open goal he mentioned he has suggested a few names of players to Scottish and English clubs.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Liverpool may well take Woodburn back if he isn’t playing or making much of an impact, if he doesn’t by January that might not be a bad thing so hopefully they have a contingency plan in place. 
I think the forward we look at might be a loan, RN has loaned a forward in January in every window he’s been here so far. 

If Woodburn is recalled because he is not playing at Hearts or making an impact its now looks like its his attitude whats the issue. Done nothing in his loans in England. I can see Liverpool releasing him in the summer and he will end up going abroad like Jon Flanagan, Nathan Eccleston, Predicted to do big things at Liverpool and just fall of the face of the earth. 

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Did we get a loan forward last season? Only remember GMS and gnando arriving up front. 

They may go for a loan if no-one worth a permanent deal is available. 

Berra than you
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Did we get a loan forward last season? Only remember GMS and gnando arriving up front. 

Kasteneer. Easily forgettable mind. I do think though he was only signed to cover Gino.

34 minutes ago, Homme said:

We did sign Boyce in the January window.

8 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Kasteneer. Easily forgettable mind. I do think though he was only signed to cover Gino.

Yes, I had forgotten about him. 

jamboinglasgow
36 minutes ago, Homme said:

I am the same with looking wider afield, as we could use the work permit issues to our advantage and looking in some unused markets. But the problem that brings for January is that we need to have a deal agreed at the start of January as Devlin showed it takes time for a work permit to be agreed. I do think any non-European signings will come in the summer window.

I would hope by now we are narrowing down to a short list and starting to make plans on how we try and sign these players.

As our front 5 forward players haven’t been firing on all cylinders,are there any we could look to move on?Id send Woodburn back to Liverpool in Jan and maybe look to shift Nando.

The Mercer Takeover

If we are serious about progressing, Gnando and Smith need replaced.

I will also be surprised if Beni is still here after this window. 

Edited by The Mercer Takeover

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

As our front 5 forward players haven’t been firing on all cylinders,are there any we could look to move on?Id send Woodburn back to Liverpool in Jan and maybe look to shift Nando.

I think Woodburn just needs a goal to get him going, we have seen glimpses of what he is all about but i do agree he needs to step it up and start performing on a weekly basis.

57 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Are you sure?

Nando is garbage

So of 6 new players signed in the summer, only one of them looks like a miss and another has looked good but isn't being selected by the manager? That's an excellent hit rate, but I'm not sure that's the point you intended to make.

Stewart is a stopgap back-up who was clearly not "identified" by Savage. If Neilson didn't want him he wouldn't be here.

I don't think Savage necessarily "identifies" players btw, I think that's an oversimplification of the set-up we have. We have a head of recruitment and others (including analysts) working under him. Our recruitment has improved because we've got a proper set-up now, not just because of one guy's eye for a player.

Same required as last window. Striker and wing backs. They did great work in central midfield in the summer and now need to finish the job to really kick on.

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Kastaneer from Coventry, Instantly forgettable. 

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

If Woodburn is recalled because he is not playing at Hearts or making an impact its now looks like its his attitude whats the issue. Done nothing in his loans in England. I can see Liverpool releasing him in the summer and he will end up going abroad like Jon Flanagan, Nathan Eccleston, Predicted to do big things at Liverpool and just fall of the face of the earth. 

I’m still hopeful he can do a job but he’s getting worse as time goes by. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m still hopeful he can do a job but he’s getting worse as time goes by. 

I hope so we should of played him more central when Boyce got injured he started as a forward at Liverpool. I think his best games in a Hearts shirt was when he was playing CM before Devlin came into the team , 

SomethingAboutObua

1. Striker

2. Right back

3. As always, anyone that's an exceptional talent that's available 

4. If we could swap GMS for literally any backup winger (that's not Jordan Roberts or Elliot Frear) I'd be very happy  

Not sure about getting guys out, maybe try and get McEneff away on loan and try again with him next season?

18 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

So of 6 new players signed in the summer, only one of them looks like a miss and another has looked good but isn't being selected by the manager? That's an excellent hit rate, but I'm not sure that's the point you intended to make.

Stewart is a stopgap back-up who was clearly not "identified" by Savage. If Neilson didn't want him he wouldn't be here.

I don't think Savage necessarily "identifies" players btw, I think that's an oversimplification of the set-up we have. We have a head of recruitment and others (including analysts) working under him. Our recruitment has improved because we've got a proper set-up now, not just because of one guy's eye for a player.

Totally agree, 5 from 6 signings being good is way above expectation of our Head of Recruitment, in the podcast Lancefield done last year he stated that a success rate of 55% was a high benchmark for recruitment at any club.

He also went on to say that him and his recruitment team would sit down face to face with the manager, coaching staff and DoF where they'd be told the position and attributes that were needed, they then use their data to identify players to actually go and scout (minimum of 3 scouts each watching a players 3 times so 9 games in total) before they then come back to the manager and DoF with player recommendations. Considering the majority of the recruitment team have only just arrived ta the club the success of our summer signings is remarkable and i'd expect that we'll have more confidence in the players we are targeting, both in January and for next summer too as we'll have actually had the opportunity to fully scout them.

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I hope so we should of played him more central when Boyce got injured he started as a forward at Liverpool. I think his best games in a Hearts shirt was when he was playing CM before Devlin came into the team , 

Yeah I thinks he’s a number 10 more than a wide player, was getting into som great positions against Hibs before being subbed. 

3 hours ago, Trajan said:

I have a hunch an agreement is already in place with one or two players, just a hunch.

51 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

No chance are we letting him go in January unless silly money is offered.  We'll never be able to replace him in the January window, and I reckon he's part of the plans for the next season or two at the very least.

I'd doubt that heavy bucks would be offered for someone who has only just played a double digit number of games for us.

1 minute ago, tian447 said:

No chance are we letting him go in January unless silly money is offered.  We'll never be able to replace him in the January window, and I reckon he's part of the plans for the next season or two at the very least.

I'd doubt that heavy bucks would be offered for someone who has only just played a double digit number of games for us.

I worry what the release clause is in his contract . I really hope its not something silly like 300K. 

37 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I think we have differing views  on what constitutes a hit or a miss.  Given that McEneff gets no game time I'd say he was not a hit, Nando certainly isn't and Woodburn is hardly any better  Moore is a decent player but he too struggles for game time.  I omitted Kastaneer who wasn't even good enough for the Championship.  I wouldn't describe all that that as "outstanding" as said by the poster to whom I replied.  BTW what was the point I was trying to make?

Possibly but is it not Savages's job to identify a goalkeeper ie one that is better than Stewart?

I'm neither doubting nor agreeing with you on that point but the poster to whom I replied seems to have thought so.

Can’t believe some are wanting Woodburn sent back already, he’s played in what 8 games! Give the young guy time FFS, no doubt he has something about him but these things can take time, a goal would help his confidence. 
Priorities are a out and out striker whether it’s a loan with looking at other options in the summer, I wonder how the “Quality” striker we nearly had over the line is doing.  RWB would be a bonus! 

Just now, make a noise said:

Can’t believe some are wanting Woodburn sent back already, he’s played in what 8 games! Give the young guy time FFS, no doubt he has something about him but these things can take time, a goal would help his confidence. 
Priorities are a out and out striker whether it’s a loan with looking at other options in the summer, I wonder how the “Quality” striker we nearly had over the line is doing.  RWB would be a bonus! 

How long is long enough?

10 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I worry what the release clause is in his contract . I really hope its not something silly like 300K. 

Well, that's the Edinburgh Evening News got a source for a backpage story tomorrow :lol: 

Hearts at risk of losing star player in January
Celtic top the list of interested parties keen on signing the young midfield ace for just £300k.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Are you sure?

Nando is garbage

Sorry forgot to hit send.

In fairness I look at McEneff and Nando as championship signings since that's the league we were in when we got them. Better players would have been reluctant to sign for us.

Don't agree with you about Moore, he's been decent. Woodburn has definitely dropped in form, I reckon he should be given a chance to play as striker over Nando.

19 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

He was quoted as saying 'I'll make the club money' I seriously hope he meant over 300k🤣

33 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I have a hunch an agreement is already in place with one or two players, just a hunch.

Yep, they just need to stay for for two months. If things go to plan one may even debut at the Giro. 

19 minutes ago, make a noise said:

Maybe we need to try him as an out and out striker before making our mind up about him 

1 hour ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

If beni goes this window then someone’s gonna have to pay the money for him, he signed a permanent deal in the summer so there’s no way he can leave for something stupid. However I look forward to the inevitable £300k bid from either of the OF 

The White Cockade
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

People wanting Woodburn sent back early. Jesus wept. 

:rofl:

When you think back to the pish we had in the team over the past few years, and these planks want him away. 

Some people are utterly dense.

if we don't win every game then we are rubbish!

these boys heads would have exploded in the 70's and early 80's 😂

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

When you think back to the pish we had in the team over the past few years, and these planks want him away. 

What has he given us,what has he produced?Just out of interest.

Pasquale for King

People do realise that Savage and his team only go and scout a certain type of player that the manager asks for, RN then makes the final choice. It’s not their job to say oh here’s a better player than you have in that position. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

if we don't win every game then we are rubbish!

these boys heads would have exploded in the 70's and early 80's 😂

I hope you’re not aiming that at me because suffering those dark days, and the last few years, is part of the reason why I want success. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I wasn’t saying we should send him back, just that they may recall him and there’s nothing we can do about that, same with Moore. If they’re not playing or producing we might need a back up plan to replace them. 

I'd go for Shaun Rooney for RWB. Clueless on who'd be good for CF. Paterson would be my pick, but wages likely a stumbling block we can't get over. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal
  • davemclaren locked and unlocked this topic