Edinburgh dialect (dying breed)

Restonbabe

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Trainspotting had to be subtitled for the U.S. I believe.

I subtitle US films a lot.

I would totally understand why Trainspotting would be in the US.

8 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Great hockey game eh, the goalie was good eh, pronounced the more ay,

Like the old joke. 
How do you spell Canada? 
C eh N eh D eh. 

6 hours ago, XB52 said:

It's the result of years of kids watching US shows and being told that a local accent makes you sound dumb by the talk snobs. 

I remember getting the belt at school for saying “Aye”. My lad sounds nothing like me. Says “yeah” instead of “Aye”…maybe I should give him the belt. 
Seriously though, he doesny even say “ken” as in “ah dinny ken”.  Weird!

14 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Ha, reminds me of a time l was in a hostel in NZ and an American asked me 'where in England l was from?' l told him l was Scottish and he replied 'same thing'. I nearly throttled him. I knew straight away without asking him he was an American as only Yanks are dumb enough to come out with that crap. 

👍 without stereotyping a whole people I did find when I lived there , a lot seemed to know deck all about world affairs and other countries . They are a very insular nation. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

👍 without stereotyping a whole people I did find when I lived there , a lot seemed to know deck all about world affairs and other countries . They are a very insular nation. 

Agreed, don't get me wrong lve met a lot of Americans who were nice. They're just not very well educated in world affairs although l did get one guy from LA try to tell me the whole 'Braveheart' story because he had watched the film. I think he was crestfallen when l told him most of that film was made up bollocks!

EDIT: probably why he thought Braveheart was true as a lot of them 'educate' themselves on world affairs through Hollywood. 

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo
To add more information

1 minute ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Agreed, don't get me wrong lve met a lot of Americans who were nice. They're just not very well educated in world affairs although l did get one guy from LA try to tell me the whole 'Braveheart' story because he had watched the film. I think he was crestfallen when l told him most of that film was made up bollocks! 

I always refer back to the time a guy in a bar in New York explained to me there’d never be peace in Ireland until there were no more tanks on the streets of Dublin. I think he remained dubious even after I explained Irish independence being almost 100 years before our conversation. 

8 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

EDIT: probably why he thought Braveheart was true as a lot of them 'educate' themselves on world affairs through Hollywood. 

Lol

not surprised ! When I was at a seeing a few years back in the USA I wore my full highland outfit . I got stopped by a few people for pics etc . One lad asked me what my sporran was for ? I said It was to keep our mobile phones from geting lost when we  went into 

“ battle “ ! 😂 he believed it ! Mind you think he was around 10 years old 

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

I work on the golden rule always defer to the less obvious guess if you don’t recognise an accent. A kiwi or Canadian will be pleased if they think you spotted their accent but annoyed if you think they are Australian or American. Whereas the Australian or American won’t care too much if you get it wrong. 

Just get a Canadian (if your unsure) to say 'about' Then you'll know. 

7 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Ha, reminds me of a time l was in a hostel in NZ and an American asked me 'where in England l was from?' l told him l was Scottish and he replied 'same thing'. I nearly throttled him. I knew straight away without asking him he was an American as only Yanks are dumb enough to come out with that crap. 

He's right. Most folk see England as GB and Scotland is part of GB. And no-one here cares, as so do they. 

Just look at your post, you've called him an American,  but is he a Texan, a California, a New Yorker? He may possibly want to strangle folk who call him an American.

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Lol

not surprised ! When I was at a seeing a few years back in the USA I wore my full highland outfit . I got stopped by a few people for pics etc . One lad asked me what my sporran was for ? I said It was to keep our mobile phones from geting lost when we  went into 

“ battle “ ! 😂 he believed it ! Mind you think he was around 10 years old 

What were you seeing. Ghosts, scenery, therapist?

Maroon Sailor

I find there's a noticeable difference between an Aussie accent and a Kiwi one.

It's like South Wales and North Wales. The Tafs and The Gogs

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Like the old joke. 
How do you spell Canada? 
C eh N eh D eh. 

“Do you have any cash eh?”

””Well my name carries a little weight..”

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Just get a Canadian (if your unsure) to say 'about' Then you'll know. 

Or a kiwi to say fish and chips. 
I can spot the correct accent most of the time though the difference isn’t as big as it was a few years ago as the insidious spread of the “tv American” accent spread. It is all down to tv in my opinion, kids ape what they hear subconsciously. 

15 hours ago, jonesy said:

Still remember a primary school friend being slapped by their mum for saying “aye” instead of “yes”.

I mind arguing with my teacher in primary 1 or 2, she'd told me to pronounce my T's, I was all "No! My mum says I don't have to!" Pretty sure I ended up in tears and in the huff with the teacher, refusing to pronounce my T's :laugh2:

will-i-am-a-jambo
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He's right. Most folk see England as GB and Scotland is part of GB. And no-one here cares, as so do they. 

Just look at your post, you've called him an American,  but is he a Texan, a California, a New Yorker? He may possibly want to strangle folk who call him an American.

He actually lied and said he was 'Mexican' (as he knew fine well what l was driving at) but then admitted he was an American. I can't remember where exactly in America he was from as this conversation was had over 10 years ago. He was deliberately winding me up though l remember that. That's just bad manners and etiquette when speaking to someone you don't know especially as l was travelling on my own and he was with his mates. 

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What were you seeing. Ghosts, scenery, therapist?

Oh I was half pissed when I wrote that ! I meant “ wedding “ 🤪

Its funny nwhen I first met my wife I thought she hd an accent, when I came to Canada it sounded like they all had an accent, and no for some reason they all lost their accent. Just read Ri Albans comment about have a Canadian say about, and have been saying it to myself, aboot ,aboot ,aboot, I don't know what he's getting at.

22 hours ago, XB52 said:

It's the result of years of kids watching US shows and being told that a local accent makes you sound dumb by the talk snobs. 

Isn’t the use of “dumb” in this context an Americanism? Physician, heal thyself! 🤣

Out with my toe blisters just now in a pub and was boasting about how I know most accents . The waitress was Chatting to us and she has an accent . I said “ what part of South Africa are you from ?    She replied “ Germany 🇩🇪 😎😎😜 what a Wally I felt 

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Out with my toe blisters just now in a pub and was boasting about how I know most accents . The waitress was Chatting to us and she has an accent . I said “ what part of South Africa are you from ?    She replied “ Germany 🇩🇪 😎😎😜 what a Wally I felt 

Actually to be fair to me she sounded very much like my my south African friend . She was rather posh . Is asked her  one time “ did you know any black people? “ she replied “ ofcourse darling my maid was black “! 😎

21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I was chatting to a bloke outside a pub a while back and he was telling me how it was his first visit to Edinburgh. He was then delighted when I correctly asked him if he was from Zimbabwe. Similar to South African accent but a bit softer. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I was chatting to a bloke outside a pub a while back and he was telling me how it was his first visit to Edinburgh. He was then delighted when I correctly asked him if he was from Zimbabwe. Similar to South African accent but a bit softer. 

Impressive 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Impressive 

I should have added he was a middle aged white man. I’m useless at African accents outwith that demographic. 

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Its funny nwhen I first met my wife I thought she hd an accent, when I came to Canada it sounded like they all had an accent, and no for some reason they all lost their accent. Just read Ri Albans comment about have a Canadian say about, and have been saying it to myself, aboot ,aboot ,aboot, I don't know what he's getting at.

Yeah, I noticed that when I was in Canada.

Speaking of which. On one trip I was talking to a guy in a Calgary bar who turned out to be the chief engineer for the tram system that was being built at the time.  He knew I was Scottish and said "you guys (I was with a workmate) should be very proud, the Scots built Canada".  I said "cheers, but he's Welsh".