Facebook rebranding

A Boy Named Crow

A Boy Named Crow
3 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Hopefully his grand vision is a massive flop. Sounds absolutely horrendous.

Imagine it, come and experience my dinner/ cat video/ sadness at kids going back to school in glorious VR...stuff that!

Just another nail in the coffin for people enjoying real human interactions though. Imagine the possibilities for wierdos to live their entire lives in an online fantasy!

Once they're all plugged in, he'll find a way of turning their useless bodies into a fuel source and...

A Boy Named Crow
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It sounds like when Google became Alphabet and nothing really changed

It's not the name change, that is largely meaningless   it's the vision for a VR metaverse I'm more bothered about. 

8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Just don't use it?

From what I hear facebook itself is largely losing a lot of its appeal. I don't use it and haven't since the late 00s but the only time I hear about stuff people seen on facebook is usually one of the family boomers showing me some low quality borderline racist meme or a lie they heard that they're repeating as fact. It sounds grim. But it barely matters when they own whatsapp and instagram among others, they're going to continue to grow. 

15 minutes ago, The Internet said:

From what I hear facebook itself is largely losing a lot of its appeal. I don't use it and haven't since the late 00s but the only time I hear about stuff people seen on facebook is usually one of the family boomers showing me some low quality borderline racist meme or a lie they heard that they're repeating as fact. It sounds grim. But it barely matters when they own whatsapp and instagram among others, they're going to continue to grow. 

Signal is a good alternative to WhatsApp. I'm in the process fo trying to get my friends to cros over.

Byyy The Light
11 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Signal is a good alternative to WhatsApp. I'm in the process fo trying to get my friends to cros over.

And that’s the problem. Everyone knows about signal or alternatives but it’s too much hassle to move

Byyy The Light
8 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Imagine it, come and experience my dinner/ cat video/ sadness at kids going back to school in glorious VR...stuff that!

Just another nail in the coffin for people enjoying real human interactions though. Imagine the possibilities for wierdos to live their entire lives in an online fantasy!

Once they're all plugged in, he'll find a way of turning their useless bodies into a fuel source and...

He’s a very weird guy. This bringing people together thing is utter rubbish and I’m not sure how he gets away with perpetuating it without being called out. You just can’t recreate real human interaction.

I use WhatsApp but ditched Facebook about 6 years ago and never used Instagram (had an account before Facebook bought it).

My life is not poorer for it. 

I watched a bit of the launch as it came up on my Facebook feed and Mark Zuckeberg is genuinely the weirdest most awkward person ever. It is was so ****ing cringe. 

This whole metaverse thing - they can have it. I think this is the line that I won’t be crossing and I imagine my kids and future grandkids will see me as the old dinosaur who doesn’t want to keep up with the times. 

This is becoming the matrix 

10 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's not the name change, that is largely meaningless   it's the vision for a VR metaverse I'm more bothered about. 

It's a big pile of nothing IMO, augmented reality came and went and this'll be just as useful I reckon.

VR and AR is going to be huge. Facebook/Meta have already made huge strides forwards in popularising VR with the Quest/Quest 2. Give it another 10 years and what they'll be able to do with the tech will be mind-blowing.

The potential for it's use in education is massive. 

Edited by Ray Gin

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

All governments should block this entire thing. Time to bring Facebook to an end.

but but, i want the breakfast pics.

A Boy Named Crow
40 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's a big pile of nothing IMO, augmented reality came and went and this'll be just as useful I reckon.

I think the AR thing a few years ago with pokemon etc was the trial run. The thread on here in a few years about the crap that happens on "Metaverse" will make grim reading!

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I think the AR thing a few years ago with pokemon etc was the trial run. The thread on here in a few years about the crap that happens on "Metaverse" will make grim reading!

We'll see, I just don't think it's got the long term grabbing power they think it does, not with current tech anyway.

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, The Internet said:

Sounds like we are about to enter the wall-e era. 

I always thought that bits of that film were a glimpse into the future. 

We've got folk getting shite like McDonald's delivered by some random on a push bike. It's rank when it's hot let alone when it's been cycled half way across Edinburgh in a padded bag. 

lazy-people-walle.jpg

Edited by The Mighty Thor

• 5 months later...
A Boy Named Crow
On 29/10/2021 at 19:57, Smithee said:

If it was a big pile of nothing,  that'd be fine. But even at this early stage, with crap tech and limited uptake, the 'Metaverse' is already being shown to be a haven for freaks and weirdos to prey on kids...who would have thought it? Zuckerberg is an arsehole of the highest order. His comment about parents having a responsibility to monitor their kids online is a bit like a drug dealer saying parents need to make sure their kids don't buy drugs from him!

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/internet/metaverse-young-girls-virtually-raped-new-report-reveals/news-story/c28ceebb2707cf89413c059ee549a2e4

Edited by A Boy Named Crow