The G.O.A.T

ri Alban

59 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Yes I was lucky my main Hearts following days were in the Conn, Bauld Wardhaugh hey days.

Lucky man. 

I'd love one of our stands to be named after him.  

Only got 3 caps and scored twice.   I suppose Glasgow bias was as strong back then. 

56 minutes ago, Ked said:

Aye maybe but not in the sense I meant it.

I know what sense you meant it in, Ked.  👍

I was merely adding (as a wee aside) what Robbo thought of Jim.

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

Lucky man. 

I'd love one of our stands to be named after him.  

Only got 3 caps and scored twice.   I suppose Glasgow bias was as strong back then. 

Willie as a perfect gent always said that Laurie Reilly played better than him for Scotland and deserved the place in the team. 

24 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Ali, nobody else comes close imo. 

I think he is the ultimate sporting legend.  Everything about him was class.  

I’ve tried to resist posting this but have decided to anyway. Yes Ali protested against the war and was a great boxer, but he also cheated on every woman in his life and wasn’t shy about lifting his hands to them. I admire the boxer and activist but not the man in his personal life. 

8 hours ago, Ked said:

Mohammed Ali.

More than just a sporting hero.

Class principled and inspirational to all even though he was for his people first and foremost.

On a par with any black civil rights leaders of the time.

Oh and a tough machine in the ring .

Obviously Robbo is a living hero but I'm sure even the man would give a nod to Ali

He may or may not be the greatest boxer ever. But as mas who Treated women like trash, and probably hit and who was a member of the gangster Mosque, isn't principled or an inspiration as human. 

And it's Muhammad.

Edited by ri Alban

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

Ali, Zidane and.....

****ing Robbo.

And, not necessarily in that order..  :sadrobbo:

:robboyas:deffo robbo

12 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve tried to resist posting this but have decided to anyway. Yes Ali protested against the war and was a great boxer, but he also cheated on every woman in his life and wasn’t shy about lifting his hands to them. I admire the boxer and activist but not the man in his personal life. 

I didn't know that. I may need to cancel him.... :)  im sure he's worried.  

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

Eddy Merckx. Name a classic cycling event and he won it, several times. 
World champion x 3

Tour de France x 5

Giro D’Italia x 5

La Vuelta

And all the spring classics and monuments 

And the world record on the track just to run it in. 

He could win any kind of race and his overall number of victories will never be broken. 

Came on to post this, extraordinary sportsman. 

4 hours ago, cheetah said:

Came on to post this, extraordinary sportsman. 

Cocaine/speed are fecking amazing.

14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cocaine/speed are fecking amazing.

It was a level playing field and he still won. And he was cleaner than most back then. 

18 hours ago, Tazio said:

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He may or may not be the greatest boxer ever. But as mas who Treated women like trash, and probably hit and who was a member of the gangster Mosque, isn't principled or an inspiration as human. 

And it's Muhammad.

He was known for his appetite for sex.

But as far as I know was no predator or abusive .

Albeit he cheated .

29 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

For just being a nice man the late Sir Bobby Robson 

He's my favourite Englishman when it comes to football.   A brilliant man.  I thought that Newcastle got what they deserved over the next few years for sacking him when they were something like 5th in the league.   Not sure it it's on Netflix but there's a very good documentary about him 

I P Knightley
21 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Were you fortunate enough to have seen Bauld play for us?  I'd love to have seen him play.   

I looked in wikipedia not long ago and can't believe his goal scoring record.   Sadly also noticed that he passed away at only 49.  

Jimmy Wardhaugh was a youngster when he passed, too, wasn't he?

Anyway, on the debate and leaving Robbo to one side so that there is something to debate, I'm going to pop Roger Federer's name into the mix with Novak Djokovic in a strong position to out-GOAT him over the next year. Each of them has been dominant in a sport where competition has been intense while they've been playing. More so for Djokovic.

Tiger Woods did more than just win tons of tournaments; his persona reinvigorated a sport that was on the slide.

Ali was a huge personality but surely there are others at other weights who had far more impressive fight records?

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Jimmy Wardhaugh was a youngster when he passed, too, wasn't he?

Yes, only 48.

To answer the question in the OP, no idea. Hope that helps.

Sir Donald Bradman, Aussie cricketer

He has a career Test average of 99.94. The next best is 60.97. The Don would have finished his career with an average over 100 (it was 101.39 at the time of his last game) but he scored a duck (0) in his last Test innings.

The statistics show that "no other athlete dominates an international sport to the extent that Bradman does cricket". In order to match Bradman's dominance, a baseball batter would need a career batting average of .392, while a basketball player would need to score an average of 43.0 points per game. The respective records for each sport are .366 and 30.1

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

It was a level playing field and he still won. And he was cleaner than most back then. 

Well that would make Lance the best.

11 hours ago, Ked said:

He was known for his appetite for sex.

But as far as I know was no predator or abusive .

Albeit he cheated .

He hit women. Big Heavyweight champion. What a guy.