Who owns Scotland?

Ked

It's not Westminster.

Did anyone watch this programme?

Real eyeopener to some reforms that are needed.

These are the issues that imo the current government in Holyrood could/should be addressing .

Are these issues in its remit and if so it would be a real transfer of power .

Really good questions on the programme.

For instance Tynecastle (old school) clever bit of marketing showing a community garden to push through development of more student(high price) flats.

Princess street shut of at New year unless you pay.

St James centre imo a future bet on high price property rent/purchase with future possibility of power over access.

Owning Scotland is now easy yet we focus on something that's becoming more and more irrelevant.

Democray .

23 minutes ago, LMc said:

What channel was it on?

bbc Scotland.

Guid Jambo that presented the programme.

Theres so much the current government could address in the interests of Scottish people through law.

It's a waste of a mandate imo.

Really good programme and it's good what is happening.

Also you have to tip your hat to the current government for some much needed changes.

It also reiterates the natural wealth Scotland possesses.

The regeneration of that and its protection is a feather in the cap of the current Scottish government.

Give it a watch .

Did I mention the presenters a Hearts supporter?

🙂

On 27/10/2021 at 00:29, Cade said:

Yip.

That certainly came through in tonight's programme.

Actually really impressed with some of the legislation that's coming into play next year.

On 27/10/2021 at 06:41, Jamstomorrow said:

Plenty of overseas owners of land here.

We are about to find out who next year.

And they wont be able to hide behind off shore overseas entities.

Hopefully more legislation to make our landscapes good for all and not the elite few.

Is it not the people who own their Country, and they use the their democratic right to elect governments to administer the business of the State. So any decisions made by the elected are a reflection of what they believe a majority of the electorate want, and gave them the power to carry out these actions.

7 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Is it not the people who own their Country, and they use the their democratic right to elect governments to administer the business of the State. So any decisions made by the elected are a reflection of what they believe a majority of the electorate want, and gave them the power to carry out these actions.

You would think that Sharpie until you want to get something done.

Or if you dont like what's being done.

The two programmes so far have shown different examples.

Our very own district council allow princess street gardens to be ruined by tacky overpriced Christmas fairgrounds but actually have no right to do so.

Or a landowner where birds of prey were caught and killed for the purposes of grouse shoots couldnt be identified as it was registered in Panama,Jersey etc.

This is changing though.

But 70% of Scottish land is privately owned by non resident Scots.

11 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Absolutely. They shat it on LVT though, which would be the real game changer.

Sorry although I've watched the programme I'm not clued up.

What's LVT and how is that a game changer?

5 hours ago, Ked said:

You would think that Sharpie until you want to get something done.

Or if you dont like what's being done.

The two programmes so far have shown different examples.

Our very own district council allow princess street gardens to be ruined by tacky overpriced Christmas fairgrounds but actually have no right to do so.

Or a landowner where birds of prey were caught and killed for the purposes of grouse shoots couldnt be identified as it was registered in Panama,Jersey etc.

This is changing though.

But 70% of Scottish land is privately owned by non resident Scots.

It does really annoy me the mess that Princes street gardens are left in after the Xmas carry on . It’s a disgrace . Who actually owns this land ? Did the programme say ? 

41 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It does really annoy me the mess that Princes street gardens are left in after the Xmas carry on . It’s a disgrace . Who actually owns this land ? Did the programme say ? 

The programme did definitely say.

And it belongs to the public.

Struggling to remember who got involved but after the last Christmas tack event the gardens were closed for 6 months.And many like yourself were none too pleased.

Have a watch of the programmes some really good stuff about our country and its landscape.

And last nights episode gave some hope.

Some credit goes to the current SG for that.

It also shows how legislation can backfire with regards to crofting.

55 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I hate sturgeon. ****ing *****

She wasnt on any of the programmes.

Although tbf to her government they do appear to be addressing the management of our beautiful country.

😛😂

11 minutes ago, Ked said:

The programme did definitely say.

And it belongs to the public.

Struggling to remember who got involved but after the last Christmas tack event the gardens were closed for 6 months.And many like yourself were none too pleased.

Have a watch of the programmes some really good stuff about our country and its landscape.

And last nights episode gave some hope.

Some credit goes to the current SG for that.

It also shows how legislation can backfire with regards to crofting.

Yes I’ll need To look out for it 

Carl Fredrickson

It is well worth a watch. As has been said, lots of new legislation on the way but it is a shame that what was meant to help crofting communities has in fact shafted them. 

Paddy Crossan

Andy Wightman wrote a very good book about this. He was given licence to check the ROS records and I helped him checked our various records at Meadowbank House

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

Andy Wightman wrote a very good book about this. He was given licence to check the ROS records and I helped him checked our various records at Meadowbank House

He is extremely knowledgeable on the subject and has been a consultant (even before being an MSP) on a lot of the legislation. His book is a very good read -I believe there is a copy of it in the RoS library. 

Paddy Crossan

I was volunteered by my boss to show him the system. I have his follow up book somewhere in the hoose, “the poor had no lawyers”

18 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

He was on last night.

34 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

It is well worth a watch. As has been said, lots of new legislation on the way but it is a shame that what was meant to help crofting communities has in fact shafted them. 

Dont know if the legislation for that was rushed but it is perhaps a lesson for not doing so.

I know so little about Scotland so glad I came across this gem of a programme.

11 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

I was volunteered by my boss to show him the system. I have his follow up book somewhere in the hoose, “the poor had no lawyers”

You must have come across some interesting stuff and some eye openers.

Anything stand out for you from your viewpoint?

Paddy Crossan
5 minutes ago, Ked said:

You must have come across some interesting stuff and some eye openers.

Anything stand out for you from your viewpoint?

I was only a humble civil servant who was instructed to show Andy how to check out our all our property records before he wrote his first book

7 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

I was only a humble civil servant who was instructed to show Andy how to check out our all our property records before he wrote his first book

Watching the programme last night it's that kind of knowledge that's leading to I hope a realisation of our natural wealth.

So the boy Wightman can take it forward.

👌

16 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

As someone who lives in a crofting community I'd be interested to find out more. Could you point me in the direction of some further reading, please?

Carl Fredrickson
9 minutes ago, Boof said:

As someone who lives in a crofting community I'd be interested to find out more. Could you point me in the direction of some further reading, please?

The part about the crofting is in the show and is about the cost of purchase the land if you are a crofter. IIRC it was 40 times the annual rent but as many crofts pay a peppercorn rent some crofters are buying the land then selling it on to developers thus losing the crofting aspect of the land, which is a shame. 

14 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The part about the crofting is in the show and is about the cost of purchase the land if you are a crofter. IIRC it was 40 times the annual rent but as many crofts pay a peppercorn rent some crofters are buying the land then selling it on to developers thus losing the crofting aspect of the land, which is a shame. 

Gotcha. I know that for non-crofting individuals wanting to build a house, for instance, the land would need to be decrofted first before mortgage lenders would even think about it. And that the decrofting process isn't necessarily all that straightforward. Maybe less of a problem if you're a developer with deep pockets who doesn't need a mortgage.

Edited by Boof

I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks for flagging it up.

Currently reading John Prebble's book on the Highland Clearances. 

It's excellent. Very thorough. Easier to read than I was expecting. And jaw-dropping in the details. 

20 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

That'll be "well-known transphobe Andy Wightman" after the manner of his departure from Scottish Greens? 

I find it staggering that they can let someone of his calibre and integrity go, because he does not buy-in to their Gender assertions.