Most important/vital goal you have missed?

Muppetboy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Stu_HMFC

• martoon

• Muppetboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couldn't stand the pressure Celtic were putting us under in the last few minutes of a match at Tynecastle so I nipped to the loo to sneak a smoke and missed Austin McCann's winner. 

24 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Did he walk like ? Haha

Na he got a train from Mt Florida to Central and then had to walk to Queen St. We celebrated like feck for ages after the game, left Hampden and were spawny to get a 7 seater taxi back to the train station :lol:

14 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Na he got a train from Mt Florida to Central and then had to walk to Queen St. We celebrated like feck for ages after the game, left Hampden and were spawny to get a 7 seater taxi back to the train station :lol:

😂

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Was just about to leave the ground at Dens when Alan Lawrence equalised in the 90th minute to make it 3-3 (finished 4-4 and lost on pens for

those who don’t remember ) in the epic league cup game back in 95.

I had my back to the pitch as did masses of other JTs.  Managed to retake my place on the terracing and watch the remainder like

many others. 

I have vivid memories of being bursting from the first minute until HT. I wish I had missed Henry’s penalty in the shootout, like he did 🤦🏽

Was leaving the 4-4 game at 2-4 down.  Just walking through the tunnel to the concourse and a roar as Hearts scored 3-4.  Turned along with everyone else to try to get back and met a wall of people doing the same thing.  The next minute or so was completely surreal.  All I could see was the backs of about 20 or 30 heads.  They turned as the ball was played up towards the Hibs goal, there was then a moment as you could see the heads stretch in some sort of anticipation, which would have been the moment the ball gets cut back to Weir.  Suddenly the place went mental and all of us behind the 'lucky' heads were all dancing celebrating like the best goal we had never seen lol.  In a strange way it's a memory I cherish but I now stay until the final whistle as a rule of thumb!

After many, many beers over the course of the day, I got on a train back home to Dundee well chuffed that we'd drawn 0-0 with Liverpool at Tynecastle, and argued with my flatmate about the result because I'd been at the game :lol:

:olly:

Texaco Cup tie at Motherwell about 1971 or 1972. We were 1-0 down very late on so I decided to walk back to my dad’s car. Waited for ages, no sign of anyone so decided to walk back to the park and found my dad still on the terracing and the game still going. Apparently Donald Ford had equalised at the end but I was able to see George Fleming’s winner in extra time. 

12 minutes ago, tian447 said:

After many, many beers over the course of the day, I got on a train back home to Dundee well chuffed that we'd drawn 0-0 with Liverpool at Tynecastle, and argued with my flatmate about the result because I'd been at the game :lol:

:olly:

You know whats funny it wasn't that long ago. Today with phones and social media it would never happen. I remember also leaving Murrayfield early vs AEK thinking 1,0 was a fantastic result no social media no phones etc back on the train going home then found out from a fan who just made the train it was 1.1 he left early also got home to find it was bloody 2.1  

maroonlegions
3 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

Robbos scissor kick 😍😁

:scenes:    In the Roseburn when Robbo scores the equaliser...   

That"s how we used to celebrate back in the day....

Missed all goals  in a 5 nil defeat at Burnley. 1rst  went for a beer  2nd went for a pee, 3rd another beer. Left early , on way to the chippie heard the roar of the 4th came out the chippie heard the roar of the 5th

This one......  Was making my way to the corner for a quick getaway as we wanted to be well away from the ground when the inevitable fighting started on the way to the City Centre. We got a corner but could only see the kick being taken. Next thing I knew it was mayhem....ant the game wasn't even on the TV for highlights later!

IMG_20211026_191900.jpg

McGlynn The Money

Dave McPherson late equaliser against Celtic in a 2-2 draw, October 1996. ****ed off early to the pub and missed that glorious diving header.

I very rarely get in late or leave early but missed both our goals in the 1968 & 1976 finals as we'd left early due to being 2-0 down in both games and feeling totally hacked off as we were being totally outplayed in those games. Can only remember missing one other goal and that was when Robbo scored the only goal from a penalty after about 5 minutes against Celtic at the end of the 1986/1987 season.

4 hours ago, Barry Radge said:

Texaco Cup tie at Motherwell about 1971 or 1972. We were 1-0 down very late on so I decided to walk back to my dad’s car. Waited for ages, no sign of anyone so decided to walk back to the park and found my dad still on the terracing and the game still going. Apparently Donald Ford had equalised at the end but I was able to see George Fleming’s winner in extra time. 

This was my Grandpa's story . He went on the train with his Motherwell supporting downstairs neighbour . Met him the next morning and neighbour says unlucky last night Wull . Auld guy couldn't believe it when Grandpa told him the score 🤣🤣 He had left early to catch the train home Grandpa got the later one HHGH 🇱🇻

millerjames398
3 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

:scenes:    In the Roseburn when Robbo scores the equaliser...   

That"s how we used to celebrate back in the day....

Just a wee bit before i started going, but i must have watched it a hundred times, on the old back from the brink VHS 😆🇱🇻

21 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

This was my Grandpa's story . He went on the train with his Motherwell supporting downstairs neighbour . Met him the next morning and neighbour says unlucky last night Wull . Auld guy couldn't believe it when Grandpa told him the score 🤣🤣 He had left early to catch the train home Grandpa got the later one HHGH 🇱🇻

Last minute george got the equaliser and ford the winner

2 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Dave McPherson late equaliser against Celtic in a 2-2 draw, October 1996. ****ed off early to the pub and missed that glorious diving header.

Leaving early is alright then, as long as you don't get there late?  :shifty:

McGlynn The Money
29 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Leaving early is alright then, as long as you don't get there late?  :shifty:

If you say so squire.

The pen in ‘98.

To be fair I was lucky to get in at all after being cheeky to a Weegie polis at the turnstiles. My mate managed to talk him round by claiming I wasn’t right in the head. 

Kalamazoo Jambo

Not a goal but I had my head slightly turned at Stark’s Park when Levein decided to punch Hogg’s lights out. So only saw the direct aftermath.

SomethingAboutObua

Not an "important goal" but Kingston scoring v St Mirren right after they scored in like 90+2 or something, remember the crowd cheering and everyone that had gone to leave sprinting back in. Left after Gnanduillets header was ruled a foul on Saturday and that was the first draw in a long time I've decided to beat the rush and leave. 

Francis Albert

Only goal I remember missing was George Fleming's very late equaliser at Montrose in the cup in 1970. Heard a roar after leaving the ground and hauled myself up on the wee wall around the ground to see the pitch flooded with celebrating Hearts fans. Apart from avoiding one of our more embarrassing cup results it turned out to be of no great importance. Although we scraped a 1-0 win in the replay we went out meekly 2-0 to Kilmarnock away in the next round. My main memory of the Killie game was trundling around central Scotland in an unheated Football Special train for what seemed like hours.

Anyway I learnt my lesson and don't think I have left a game early since except when catching a train necessitated it. 

In 2007 we beat Hibs 2-0 at Tynecastle and I missed the first goal (Pospisil after about 30 seconds) as I was at the kiosk getting a pie. Just about chucked it at the lady behind the till when we scored and jumped about the concourse celebrating the goal despite not physically seeing it.

Edited by heartsfc_fan

Maroon Sailor
17 hours ago, Ominous said:

I missed camerons penalty in 98 because of a nervous pre-match jobby.

At least you were in an appropriate place to carry out that deed

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, stevie.nolan.5 said:

Missed Ryan McGowans header in the Scottish cup final. 

I missed our last 5 goals in that final, the 6th to 10th one's 

:seething:

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Tbf, that wasn't clear..... 

I always have a pre match jobbie before a big game as well... Sometimes 2.

Even on the house if I'm listening to it. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Only goal I remember missing was George Fleming's very late equaliser at Montrose in the cup in 1970. Heard a roar after leaving the ground and hauled myself up on the wee wall around the ground to see the pitch flooded with celebrating Hearts fans. Apart from avoiding one of our more embarrassing cup results it turned out to be of no great importance. Although we scraped a 1-0 win in the replay we went out meekly 2-0 to Kilmarnock away in the next round. My main memory of the Killie game was trundling around central Scotland in an unheated Football Special train for what seemed like hours.

Anyway I learnt my lesson and don't think I have left a game early since except when catching a train necessitated it. 

Cannae wait for part 2.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I missed our last 5 goals in that final, the 6th to 10th one's 

:seething:

David Gray? 

::troll::

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbf, that wasn't clear..... 

I always have a pre match jobbie before a big game as well... Sometimes 2.

Even on the house if I'm listening to it. 

In the house... 😳

19 hours ago, Ominous said:

I missed camerons penalty in 98 because of a nervous pre-match jobby.

Haha, I missed Adams because for a pee, came running out when I heard the roar, wasn't even finished.

2 hours ago, garybwick said:

Haha, I missed Adams because for a pee, came running out when I heard the roar, wasn't even finished.

Pish all over the place 

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Haha. When Rangers made it 2-1 I could have gone again my stomach was doing cartwheels after that.

2 hours ago, garybwick said:

Missing the penalty was bad but Missing Adams goal must have been gutting for you.

11 minutes ago, garybwick said:

Not for the first time 🙄

Least it wasn't as bad as some of they Rangers fans last year when they won the league 🤢

Missed Quitongo's equaliser v Celtic and Graham Weirs two goals v Hibs because I'd left the ground. 

Adams third goal v Killie in the 5-3 game because I was taking a piss. 

I hid in the toilets during the penalty shootout v Gretna and smoked a cigarette because I couldn't watch. 

Other than that, I don't think I've ever missed one. 

Missed the first equaliser in the 2-2 v Celtic a few years ago because I’d gone a couple of minutes early to the pie stand to beat the queues at HT :facepalm: only time I can think of it happening to me.

kingantti1874

Penalty Awarded in the 2012 cup final.. was stuck in the queue at the kiosks.. heard the roar. Watched in seconds later on the TV.

tried to run down the stairs to watch it.. lost my lucky hearts scarf that my granny had given me when I was a wee boy.  

delighted and gutted in the same moment 

Edited by kingantti1874

Due to living overseas I have not been to many “important” games in the last 45 yrs but did make a trip home for 2012 final. Missed the third goal as I was in hospitality at half time with my Celtic supporting FiL. That man could eat!  He was on his third pie when I said we better get back to our seats as the game would be restarting. 
also was at a run of the mill league game around 1975-76 against Clyde. Hearts winning 2-0 with a few (maybe 2) mins left so the boy I was with and I decided to leg it back to his place on Robertson Ave. Imagine our surprise when watching the results on the telly when it ended up 2-2!

On 26/10/2021 at 12:40, frankblack said:

Both Graeme Weir's goals.  Was already out the ground after Hibs 4th.

He scored the first as I was at the bottom of the stairs of upper N. Still thought,  too late. Was crossing the old car park as he equalised.

Got to be the most infuriating thing I have done.

Missed Stephane Adam's goal against Rangers in the 98 cup final as I was down buying a Pepsi for my 6 year old son. When I heard the roar I thought Rangers had equalised but then came the tannoy announcing 2nd goal for Hearts and there was bedlam at the pie-stall.

PhoenixHearts

Try 17th December 2017...

I was in quite a pessimistic mood that day and not feeling like sitting through a typical 0-1 late Celtic winner.

Went to a Christmas lunch at Murrayfield golf club instead with the grandmother in-law...

Needless to say every time I pulled my phone I felt an increasingly curious mix of elation and regret.

My own bloody fault.

Still not over it.