Walter Smith passed away

Салатные палочки

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Boab said:

We played Celtic at Park head the previous week, beating them 2-0. I was there. The announcement of the pope's passing wasn't till Saturday night so the Semi was the first game for them after that. 
I'll leave the circumstances of the Semi as it's a thread about WS. 
What transpires tonight will, no doubt, be discussed on here tomorrow.

My memory was a bit foggy about tbh, I do remember Rangers not having one. 
Yes I’m sure anything that transpires will be discussed in detail. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Naisys Tackle

• Mikey1874

• Jambo 4 Ever

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

My memory was a bit foggy about tbh, I do remember Rangers not having one. 
Yes I’m sure anything that transpires will be discussed in detail. 

Yea, it's probably for another thread, mate, but Rangers played Motherwell at Fir Park the day before the Semi with no minute's silence. The rights and wrongs of that are open for debate. It, no doubt, added fuel to fire about why the authorities were selective in holding a silence at one game but not another.

As I say, for another thread.

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Yea, it's probably for another thread, mate, but Rangers played Motherwell at Fir Park the day before the Semi with no minute's silence. The rights and wrongs of that are open for debate. It, no doubt, added fuel to fire about why the authorities were selective in holding a silence at one game but not another.

As I say, for another thread.

There was a minute's silence at the semi final in 2005, because the leader of the Celtic's supporters association wrote to the SFA requesting one, but it was actually more of a demand.

Being a baptised Catholic myself, but very far from a practising one, I observed the silence, but I am in James Traynor's camp when he wrote in the Daily Record, that it was the biggest stitch up on the Hearts support ever.

However it is all by the by now and was over 16 years ago.

Walter Smith deserves his minute silence to be impeccably observed, not for his footballing allegiance or accomplishments, but purely for the simple fact he was a very decent human being. I have read lots on various platforms since his passing, and not one person from whatever their footballing allegiance has had a bad word to say against him, and that includes Celtic who imho made a very heartfelt statement regarding his death.

I am no lover of either of the two big Glasgow clubs, but Walter Smith to my knowledge never said anything bad about Hearts and was very dignified and magnanimous after our cup victory in 1998, and that to me signified the class of the man.

I have only seen genuinely kind comments regarding the death of Walter Smith on social media from Celtic fans, the Aberdeen fans have taken this to a whole new level, lots of media coverage in the last day with Smith and Mcoist with Tommy Burns and there was obviously a wonderful relationship there

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Aye but is a Proddy or a Feenyin Dalai Lama? 🤔

Exactly. We had a minutes silence for the pope because the SFA promote and actively encourage bigotry in this country. 

William H. Bonney
4 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Hadn’t been aware of this… doesn’t surprise me though. 👍

It surprises me. Wasn’t he banned from the dugout for the cup final? Doubt he would have been allowed to walk round the pitch. 

Naisys Tackle
15 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hi Robbie,

who was the boyhood idol of your dad that passed today?

I can’t find anything about this?

Thanks 👍

Was Jimmy Millar.  Thankfully was just a rumour I think. 

1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

It surprises me. Wasn’t he banned from the dugout for the cup final? Doubt he would have been allowed to walk round the pitch. 

He wasn’t banned. He usually sat in the stand watching the game. When Hearts went 2-0 he came down to the dug out.

Edited by Thomaso

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 hours ago, lou said:

I have only seen genuinely kind comments regarding the death of Walter Smith on social media from Celtic fans, the Aberdeen fans have taken this to a whole new level, lots of media coverage in the last day with Smith and Mcoist with Tommy Burns and there was obviously a wonderful relationship there

Hope Aberdeen supporters at game tonight show respect but I've got my doubts they will 

33 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Hope Aberdeen supporters at game tonight show respect but I've got my doubts they will 

If they don't, it shows up just how insignificant a club that they are, when the only thing they have to make any noise about is the death of a 73 year old man who managed a club that they claim a very much one-way rivalry with.

I hate to say it, but I hope they get utterly torn a new one if their fans don't behave.

What forum is this Aberdeen chat on I can’t see it unless it’s been deleted, either way that’s just sick behaviour if what’s been said here is true, Walter Smith is a legend in our game even if I detested/ detest the team he has managed. RIP. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

What forum is this Aberdeen chat on I can’t see it unless it’s been deleted, either way that’s just sick behaviour if what’s been said here is true, Walter Smith is a legend in our game even if I detested/ detest the team he has managed. RIP. 

The thread on the Aberdeen forum has apparently been deleted (or moved), and it was every bit as bad as people have said.

12 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

The thread on the Aberdeen forum has apparently been deleted (or moved), and it was every bit as bad as people have said.

Cheers, yeah I had a look for it and couldn’t see it. What a sad lot they are. 

19 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What did he say back?

To be fair he said he hadn't been on.

He is a nice guy and admits himself some posters are fuds.

He said its like painting the railway bridge trying to keep on top of it

20 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hi Robbie,

who was the boyhood idol of your dad that passed today?

I can’t find anything about this?

Thanks 👍

Was this the confusion over reports Jimmy Miller had died only for his family to confirm he’s alive and kicking?

23 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

My dad, a rangers fan has been in bits today with his boyhood idol passing same day as Walter.

Walter Smith and Rangers for me = a decent takeaway when winning in a big game.  Can still remember crying as a 7 year old when connect out the European Cup final. It was a way of staying up later. Dad still dropped me and my grandad off at Tynie and paid for our day and out season tickets. He was gutted today as was I.

Walter Smith very close to 2 European finals. Arguably cheated out of both with the referee v Roma and Marseille bribing people. 

1 hour ago, mscjambo said:

To be fair he said he hadn't been on.

He is a nice guy and admits himself some posters are fuds.

He said its like painting the railway bridge trying to keep on top of it

OT:

That's not actually true anymore. The last coat they gave it was designed to last 15 - 20 years. Only took them 120 to work that out though.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

I think it's a minutes applause at Ibrox.

That in and of itself is a shocking indictment of Scottish football. If I was in charge at Rangers *shudders* I'd just lock the Abersheep fans out and take the punishment from the SPFL to pay respect the way it should be. **** 'em.

2 minutes ago, trotter said:

That in and of itself is a shocking indictment of Scottish football. If I was in charge at Rangers *shudders* I'd just lock the Abersheep fans out and take the punishment from the SPFL to pay respect the way it should be. **** 'em.

Agree with all of this. 

6 minutes ago, trotter said:

Well said.  :clap: 

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was definitely ejected, there would no legal basis to ban him for life. 

They don't need a legal basis. They can ban who they want.

He definitely was - I remember it was covered in the press, and after a meeting at Tynecastle he was allowed back.

I'm sure he was from the Glasgow Hearts. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

They don't need a legal basis. They can ban who they want.

He definitely was - I remember it was covered in the press, and after a meeting at Tynecastle he was allowed back.

I'm sure he was from the Glasgow Hearts. 

I’m not sure if he had taken them to court they could legally ban him from the stadium for what he did, which is probably covered in freedom of speech and not some of the other stuff said by other fans. 

36 minutes ago, trotter said:

Was a minutes silence, impeccably observed by the away fans. 

15 hours ago, trotter said:

OT:

That's not actually true anymore. The last coat they gave it was designed to last 15 - 20 years. Only took them 120 to work that out though.

Love a fun fact 😆 

On 26/10/2021 at 15:02, jock _turd said:

Always came over as being a quiet and thoughtful type of guy and very articulate when being interviewed even by Chick Dung ... nobody will ever top that toasting🤣

I don't like Chick Young and this video is quite funny however Young was correct and Smith was wrong. Laudrup and Boli were signed to bring European success to Ibrox and it didn't happen. The former barely shown on that stage with Rangers and the latter was a disaster of a big signing  for them, one of Walter's many.