Hearts fans riot at Tannadice in 1984

Deodato

2 hours ago, Drew Wallace said:

Was that the game there was say 65 Hearts fans arrested ??

yep 65 or there about

All over the Sunday papers

Think the headline was Maroon Morons

Out there for those that can check these things 

Sure yrs later there was something like a hundred Hearts fans arrested/charged  at Hampden when we played the Sheep

Not even a fight in sight 

Certain  the  Glasgow Police had to back track and apologise for the over handed behaviour towards our support and many charges were dropped later 

Sounds funny numbers but im sure i aint that far off the mark with these mental stats 

I think it was more than that. 

My brother was one of them.

IIRC they were strictly enforcing the no drink in the streets law.

3 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Two incidents I remember.  Home v Rangers sometime around 82-83 (might have been the LC semi as it was midweek), resulted in a Rangers boy chucked through a chip shop window on Gorgie Road.  Second was 87-88 ish, midweek at Parkhead, after the game there was a running battle on the wasteground where our buses were parked, a window got panned in and boys were coming in with cut heads from bricks being chucked.

The Rangers game I remember a Rangers fan driving along Gorgie Road through the Hearts fans laughing. Someone booted his door. He got out to reconstructed and promptly got jumped by the surrounding Jambos .

Just now, bigdav said:

The Rangers game I remember a Rangers fan driving along Gorgie Road through the Hearts fans laughing. Someone booted his door. He got out to reconstructed and promptly got jumped by the surrounding Jambos .

Not reconstructed- remonstrate.  I shouldn't try to use big words lol

50 minutes ago, bigdav said:

Oldco fan needed facial reconstruction, probably better looking after it. 

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, superjack said:

I'm sure that was the 1996 Scottish Cup semi. Plenty of arrests for both sets of fans, and as you said, hardly a fight to be seen. Me and my mates, when getting into queen Street for our train home, we were singing the hearts song. This weegie copper came up to us and said "anymore of that singing from you Edinburgh ^^^^s, you'll be banged up for the effing night". We just said no worries and shut our mouths, we seen what the polis had been like all day. Another guy comes injust behind us, again singing the hearts song, and he got the same welcoming speech from said copper. He said no problem officer and proceeded to board a train that was just about to leave. As he got on, he sticks his head out the door and started singing at full pelt. 2 cops jumped on the train to lift him. Just as the doors were about to close, said guy jumps off from the next set of doors. Train then pulls away with the 2 polis on board, including the nice guy who politely welcomed us to the station.

If I remember correctly someone wasnt allowed into the game as they had their diabetic medicine with them as it came in a syringe. Despite having a medical letter the cops told them to bolt. Sure the EEN had a fair bit about it on the Monday. 

Old JT I worked with was at that game(Tannadice) and had a story.   Not seen him for years now,  he was a great guy but you could tell he’d be a bam when he was younger😂 

He jumped on a policeman’s back after the copper hit his mate who was doing nothing but stepping away from the bother.  A scuffle ensued and he was eventually nicked.  As he was being led around the track a Daily Record reporter came out from behind the hoardings who’d witnessed the incident and told him to call him on a number written on a bit paper handed to him.

Right enough, the story made it in the paper (just a small piece) and charges were dropped against him.😉

Edited by Debut 4

The fight at Celtic Park midweek game was something else

Went on a bit as Hearts fans challenged an earlier attack on our  fans and busses

Wont say to much more on it but take what some of them got 

I was there and I don't even remember it.

As has been said, very normal those days.

PS Dundee police caused more riots than any casuals.

Edited by colinmaroon

32 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Old JT I worked with was at that game(Tannadice) and had a story.   Not seen him for years now,  he was a great guy but you could tell he’d be a bam when he was younger😂 

He jumped on a policeman’s back after the copper hit his mate who was doing nothing but stepping away from the bother.  A scuffle ensued and he was eventually nicked.  As he was being led around the track a Daily Record reporter came out from behind the hoardings who’d witnessed the incident and told him to call him on a number written on a bit paper handed to him.

Right enough, the story made it in the paper (just a small piece) and charges were dropped against him.😉

Weegie bizzies pure b.......s some c.... s   never change......

baron of ness

Remember my brother telling me about Newcastle v Hearts Texaco Cup where Hearts took 10k fans down, they invaded the the park and went toe to toe with the Newcastle fans.  Carnage. 

Jeffros Furios
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Small world. Was a crazy night alright. Don't really like going to parkhead, been a few times since then though but not many.

100s of septic scum chucking bricks and stones as me and the old man tried to find our bus .

Auld Worthies Bus was last to leave driver was injured and a guy had blood pouring from  a head wound

I was just a wee laddie at the time. 

10 minutes ago, baron of ness said:

Remember my brother telling me about Newcastle v Hearts Texaco Cup where Hearts took 10k fans down, they invaded the the park and went toe to toe with the Newcastle fans.  Carnage. 

Heard from older Brother who was at the game telling me it was utter chaos

I go back to 1967/68 for my first visit to Tannadice. The 6-5 cup tie. The battles were everywhere. Not helped by Dundee playing Rangers an hour later kick off. Generally, the early seventies were the craziest for me. No segregation at all. Drink in the ground etc. Plus, we had such a reputation that everywhere we went the locals (including Old Firm fans) would turn out to have a go. Mental.

5 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Two incidents I remember.  Home v Rangers sometime around 82-83 (might have been the LC semi as it was midweek), resulted in a Rangers boy chucked through a chip shop window on Gorgie Road.  Second was 87-88 ish, midweek at Parkhead, after the game there was a running battle on the wasteground where our buses were parked, a window got panned in and boys were coming in with cut heads from bricks being chucked.

It was 84 that took place Chuck! I remember as I was huckled by horse back copper and spent the night in London Rd cells aged 14 

kants attacked us in pitch dark so in good old Gorgie tradition we fought back 🇱🇻

1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

100s of septic scum chucking bricks and stones as me and the old man tried to find our bus .

Auld Worthies Bus was last to leave driver was injured and a guy had blood pouring from  a head wound

I was just a wee laddie at the time. 

Horrible, stuff like that when you’re a wee bairn. 

13 hours ago, hearts151 said:

Based on this.. assuming it's the same game based on the score the commentator mentioned and the year.. it does sound like it was pretty tame going by other games in this book lol

DSC_0815.JPG

DSC_0816.JPG

always made me laugh when the guy says "all 6 of us"  :lol:

Edited by tedarmy

Read a few Casual books

Found most of those writing them  have one hell of a memory , when they reflect it was like yesterday

Never ever took liberty's or  a kicking either especially  when the odds were stacked against them 

Basically  whats in these  books

Well bar the exception its by and large dug shit 

Edited by Drew Wallace

7 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

I was on the same bus and the same age!  had just moved to England as parents had moved south for my dads work and this was one of the few games I made that season.  Never actually been back to Parkhead for a Hearts game since that day.

That’s a shame (that you’ve never been back to Parhead for a Hearts game) because you missed the greatest Hearts game ever (for people of a certain generation) and it really was the greatest game and day ever!

…. 1998 “when the Hearts went up to lift the Scottish Cup”! Yep it happened at Parkhead!

Anyone recall if there was much bother at the 88 semi when Celtic scored 2 and won in the last few minutes? I only recall the atmosphere being poisonous among the Hearts fans as we left the stadium. I think I recall a copper being dragged off his horse but my memory may be faulty

Edited by edramone
typo

12 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

If I remember correctly someone wasnt allowed into the game as they had their diabetic medicine with them as it came in a syringe. Despite having a medical letter the cops told them to bolt. Sure the EEN had a fair bit about it on the Monday. 

That story rings a bell. In fact, did the poor guy not end up in the cells, and cops wouldn't give him his medication?

Forever Hearts
3 hours ago, edramone said:

Anyone recall if there was much bother at the 88 semi when Celtic scored 2 and won in the last few minutes? I only recall the atmosphere being poisonous among the Hearts fans as we left the stadium. I think I recall a copper being dragged off his horse but my memory may be faulty

I remember coming out the stadium and two Celtic fans walked right through the middle of a very angry and pissed off Hearts support. They got chased into a tenement building by some Hearts fans and I can only presume it didn't end too well for the Celtic supporters. Silly bhoys doing what they did anyway.  

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, superjack said:

That story rings a bell. In fact, did the poor guy not end up in the cells, and cops wouldn't give him his medication?

That rings a bell. It was total chaos and the police were the worst I have ever experienced.

We're soft as shite now though. Group of Dundee fans in their early 20s walking along Dalry Road after the game singing about Albert Kidd and nobody said a word.

1 hour ago, pablo said:

We're soft as shite now though. Group of Dundee fans in their early 20s walking along Dalry Road after the game singing about Albert Kidd and nobody said a word.

doubt they were at that game.

18 hours ago, corryjambo said:

That semi-final against the sheep was the worst display of policing I have ever witnessed.

Waiting in the queue to get in a wee laddie buys a Hearts flag then the copper at gate immediately takes it off him rips the cane from it and hands the flag part back to the wee guy.

The boy's dad then politely asks the cop why he is allowing the flag seller to sell them yards from where he is standing if they are deemed dangerous with the cane on them.

His reply was something like " if you moan again you are getting lifted". By this time the wee lad is crying his eyes out.

There was a guy next to us at the Hearts end lifted  without any warning for standing in the aisle talking to his mate at half time. 

I am eternally grateful to my great pal who is no longer with us for grabbing me and keeping me in my seat as I was going to try and let the guy know I would be a witness for him if the case came to court. Without a doubt I would have been lifted at the same time.

Utter madness and a very strange day only saved by our last minute winner. 

I snuck in a flag on a cane that day.  I took it out and got approached by the stewards and Police.

i tried to run but I was steaming so fell up the hampden steps and got lifted and spend the weekend in the cells.  Great end to the game I hear 😂

McGlynn The Money
17 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Glasgow polis were definitely on one that day. Aggressive and confrontational from the start.

Jangling Jack

I was at this match. I was 14. I'm one of the ones that jumped over onto the touchline. I said to the policeman that it was to escape the crush but really I just wanted to jump the fence! I could actually spot myself in among the initial melee when I watched the highlights later but this is a bit too blurred to do that now. It basically kicked off as we were all hacked off 'cos we were getting pumped. I used to love that steep terracing at Tannadice. Was probably my favourite away ground back then. 

As an aside, and as an old fart now, I'm amazed my mum let me, with my mate of the same age, go to a midweek game in Dundee without an adult! I would never have let my two do that when they were that age! Am I too soft?!! 

4 hours ago, pablo said:

Why didn't you wade in and take a few out?

On 25/10/2021 at 08:19, hearts151 said:

Based on this.. assuming it's the same game based on the score the commentator mentioned and the year.. it does sound like it was pretty tame going by other games in this book lol

DSC_0815.JPG

DSC_0816.JPG

Needless to say, we had the last laugh

19 hours ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

It was 84 that took place Chuck! I remember as I was huckled by horse back copper and spent the night in London Rd cells aged 14 

kants attacked us in pitch dark so in good old Gorgie tradition we fought back 🇱🇻

It was defo 87-88 period, maybe it was a regular occurance...........

15 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

That’s a shame (that you’ve never been back to Parhead for a Hearts game) because you missed the greatest Hearts game ever (for people of a certain generation) and it really was the greatest game and day ever!

…. 1998 “when the Hearts went up to lift the Scottish Cup”! Yep it happened at Parkhead!

Should have been clearer, not been back for a Celtic - Hearts game...........

Edited by Chuck Berry

22 hours ago, Mister T said:

I was at that League Cup game. It was a right old carry on walking back to the car my dad had cunningly parked near the rangers buses🙄

I was only 12 at the time, but I distinctly remember the guy flat on his back inside the chippy and no window.

pettigrewsstylist
On 25/10/2021 at 00:05, jbee647 said:

To be honest that’s fairly tame for the time, I was there that night, and nothing that night was particularly out of the ordinary for many away games in that era

Totally. That night was general caberet.

On 25/10/2021 at 00:39, davemclaren said:

I miss the Maroon and White caps that supporters wore in those days. Never had one myself.  

I have a brand new one, was giving to me as a gift  

I was at Tannadice that night. It was verbals, coins etc. over the fence. I've got a recollection of Police with a couple of dogs at the back of the terracing though causing a few to push towards the pitch. Steep terrace, dogs etc. you see the rest.

Away games were something else back then.

I followed Hearts home and away 83-90 and went to this game. I know people get a bit nostalgic about these terracing days but I do find the peace and quiet much better at matches these days. Walking to a Hearts home game without the away fans entering and exiting on Gorgie Road is wonderful, I never even see an away supporter anymore. It was bad in the 80s with the emergence of football casuals, trouble could find you at anytime.

Was my first away game outside of Edinburgh as a 14 year old. Was a lively old evening. My 15 year old wouldn't believe what it was like back then.

On 25/10/2021 at 08:19, hearts151 said:

DSC_0815.JPG

DSC_0816.JPG

screen play exaggerated for artistic effect, hardly a riot and normal for that time

21 minutes ago, JamboAl1965 said:

screen play exaggerated for artistic effect, hardly a riot and normal for that time

TBF, most of the book is. 🙄

Doctor FinnBarr
On 26/10/2021 at 16:02, Chuck Berry said:

I was only 12 at the time, but I distinctly remember the guy flat on his back inside the chippy and no window.

My mate grabbed the guys hat just as he was launched through the window, Fedora I think it was. He wore it for a few years until he lost it in a drunken escapade.

Oddly enough he was a founder member of Blackburn/Whitburn HSC.

19 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

My mate grabbed the guys hat just as he was launched through the window, Fedora I think it was. He wore it for a few years until he lost it in a drunken escapade.

Oddly enough he was a founder member of Blackburn/Whitburn HSC.

Superb, he should buy another and relive the past....

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Superb, he should buy another and relive the past....

Last time I spoke to him he was living in Henley-on-Thames.........and follows Leeds nowadays.

Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Last time I spoke to him he was living in Henley-on-Thames.........and follows Leeds nowadays.

Nice place, Leeds? FFS.