***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

8 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Who is Beni’s level?  I’m jumping in here , so apologies, and I’m not saying Beni should be sacrificed whatsoever.  He’s the first name on the teamsheet just now but we need a threat from centre midfield.  

How we go about that is a conundrum because you can’t see Neilson changing much just now in shape or selection. But imo, it’s a managers job to start spotting little things that need to improve before it becomes too much a problem, even if the team is playing relatively well.

We can’t keep relying on in game rotation in the wide areas to swing games or kill them off. We were pretty much frozen out in the latter part of the game v Dundee and ran out of ideas.  There needs to be more variety across the team.  Maybe worth putting someone ahead of Beni and Devlin and tweak the shape in the last third?  

Good post. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

21 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Who is Beni’s level?  I’m jumping in here , so apologies, and I’m not saying Beni should be sacrificed whatsoever.  He’s the first name on the teamsheet just now but we need a threat from centre midfield.  

How we go about that is a conundrum because you can’t see Neilson changing much just now in shape or selection. But imo, it’s a managers job to start spotting little things that need to improve before it becomes too much a problem, even if the team is playing relatively well.

We can’t keep relying on in game rotation in the wide areas to swing games or kill them off. We were pretty much frozen out in the latter part of the game v Dundee and ran out of ideas.  There needs to be more variety across the team.  Maybe worth putting someone ahead of Beni and Devlin and tweak the shape in the last third?  

Agree entirely. We are danger of dropping down to 4th this week if we don’t win either of the two games. I think we need a tweak up front. Teams see what we’re doing now. That’s the downside of keeping the same line up.

Looks like Gnando up front so needs a change or two to accommodate that, even if it means going to a back 4 and sticking an extra attacker in midfield, like Mceneff or Walker for example

i much prefer us to play with 4 out and out attacking players anyway instead of the 3 we’re playing with just now

Edited by JimmyCant

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Agree entirely. We are danger of dropping down to 4th this week if we don’t win either of the two games. I think we need a tweak up front. Teams see what we’re doing now. That’s the downside of keeping the same line up.

Looks like Gnando up front so needs a change or two to accommodate that, even if it means going to a back 4 and sticking an extra attacker in midfield, like Mceneff or Walker for example

👍🏻  

I feel nando is soft for a big guy and will be eaten up by farmers defence who have been pretty solid for the most part. I would really like to see woody up top with McKay and mibbe Gino around him if Marlene injured. 

18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

i much prefer us to play with 4 out and out attacking players anyway instead of the 3 we’re playing with just now

It’s a good point about Gnando. Boyce does a lot of work in midfield that we know Gnando just won’t do. Whether it’s a change in formation or just a tweak on how high up we press (or a similar sort of change) we can’t play in exactly the same way and expect Gnando to fill Boyce’s boots. 

I’m not able to go tomorrow so a bit pig sick. An away game is fab but an evening away game - it’s going to be absolutely jumping. Sing ur hearts out boys and girls 

Jack Torrance

Been a while since I was up there. Thinking of making the trip. Is there still parking for away fans next to the main stand and what time do you need to be there to get a space?

36 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

Apologies if already covered ? Can you just show tickets on your phone like at Tannadice or do you need to print ? Thanks in advance 

Showed on phone last time I was there. 3-3 game. 

Gimme an H...
22 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Seems I’m not the only one…

They’ve not suggested dropping one of our two best midfield performers though have they… 

I'm going to keep saying this but in our set up we're much more inclined to get goals from our CHs than from Beni. That's by design. Kingsley, Halkett, and Souttar all have goals this season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few players rested tomorrow with Saturday in mind. If Boyce is 50/50, he'll probably be kept for the Aberdeen game. Beni took a lot of kicks on Saturday and Kingsley was obviously struggling with injury.

Halliday, Haring, GMS and Moore might all get a game and Neilson suggested Gnanduillet would get his chance up front.

My guess would be:

Gordon

Moore Halkett Souttar

Smith Haring Devlin Halliday

MacKay Gnanduillet GMS 

Then for Saturday revert back to:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

Smith Beni Devlin Cochrane 

MacKay Boyce Woodburn 

Personally I have lost confidence in Gnanduillet but maybe this will be the game he finally lives up to the promise he showed when he scored twice on his debut.

Burford Jamtart

That first team worries me as only 3 attacking players.  The current 3-4-3 again only has 3 attacking players. Could we not play the England formation of 4-2-3-1.  If Haring plays he sits in front of back 4 with Devlin.  If Gnando up top or hopefully Boyce then Woodburn, GMS, Mackay around him. Or Maceneff if that’s too adventurous.  

it’s okay having 3 forwards if they are Salah/Mane/ Firmino but IMO we need 4 to be more threatening and able to unlock packed defences.

Aye Robbie, read JKB, it's full of geniuses. 🤖 🧞‍♂️

It reminds me of the big fat slobs shouting abuse on fitness at professional sportsmen. Just shut up, eat yer kebab and doughnuts. Don't forget yer diet coke.

Edited by ri Alban

I honestly would sacrifice a result here if it meant key players were rested, Wednesday night games in the rain and glaur can sometimes end up with injuries or strains, I certainly wouldn’t risk Boycie at this one.

Off the happy train. Wheels have come off.

Defeat.

That Dundee result infront of 18,000 of our own fans clearly show that we are not as good as we think we are.

8 hours ago, cookieboy said:

don't change what ain't broken apart from injuries 

100% this. Performance levels haven’t dropped so why change things against a notoriously difficult team. Strongest team each game based on form and injury, we’re not in Europe or any cup competitions so the players should not need rested. 

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Defeat.

That Dundee result infront of 18,000 of our own fans clearly show that we are not as good as we think we are.

wheels will be right back on if we win tonight. No reason not to remain positive until tonight’s game as the performance on Saturday was more than good enough to win the game.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It reminds me of the big fat slobs shouting abuse on fitness at professional sportsmen. Just shut up, eat yer kebab and doughnuts. Don't forget yer diet coke.

Pretty much. 

The reaction to a 1-1 draw in which we dominated in startling. 

However, in amongst the usual snot and slavers there are some genuine concerns and points. 

For me it's a bit more simple, play Gnando instead of Boyce and drop Woodburn, who although I think is a good player isn't nearly as effective as GMS atm. 

McEneff and/or walker from the. Bench also seems sensible as they do have a goal threat in them. 

Like yourself tho it's not time to rip it up and fly into a panic. 

If folk take a step back and take third as our realistic target this season then they'll see our results and performances are well in line with that expectation. 

If you demand/ expect we challenge the OF then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment if it doesn't happen rather than being pleasently surprised if it does. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Defeat.

We aren't as Good as some think we are. 

Even in defeat tonight it will have been a good 1st round of fixtures, if we win then it's been excellent. 

Either way be prepared for a massive over reaction either way, probably led by comment's like yours. 

Defeat-seasons finished, life is shite, Robbie oot. 

Win- league is back on. 

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Defeat.

One defensive brainfart shouldn't be enough to convince you the team aren't good enough.

highlandjambo3
19 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Defeat.

Off the happy train 😂😂😂

The happy train left your station a long time ago 😏

...andFulton'sBaggio
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Weird post. What's the point of a fan's forum, then?

Oooooh. Excited for this game. Robbie should just do whatever he wants, cos he's the boss.

I do hope we win.

(Deletes kickback account).

26 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Defeat.

It's a very tight league i8, stay buoyant.

We have learned to win and not be beaten.

Annoying 2 draws against the bottom 2.

Balance that with 4pts off OF.

Be good to win tonight, it's a tough match (as every game is).

I think other than against the OF, we have well dominated possession, doesn't guarantee goals though. 

9 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few players rested tomorrow with Saturday in mind. If Boyce is 50/50, he'll probably be kept for the Aberdeen game. Beni took a lot of kicks on Saturday and Kingsley was obviously struggling with injury.

Halliday, Haring, GMS and Moore might all get a game and Neilson suggested Gnanduillet would get his chance up front.

My guess would be:

Gordon

Moore Halkett Souttar

Smith Haring Devlin Halliday

MacKay Gnanduillet GMS 

Then for Saturday revert back to:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

Smith Beni Devlin Cochrane 

MacKay Boyce Woodburn 

Personally I have lost confidence in Gnanduillet but maybe this will be the game he finally lives up to the promise he showed when he scored twice on his debut.

So you would drop both Kingsley and Cochrane who have been really solid on the left side and have been one of our best attacking threats? Cochrane was one of our best players on Saturday and has no injury concerns as far as i can see

6 minutes ago, merrymac said:

So you would drop both Kingsley and Cochrane who have been really solid on the left side and have been one of our best attacking threats? Cochrane was one of our best players on Saturday and has no injury concerns as far as i can see

No I am saying I can imagine the manager will want to use the squad he has at his disposal. It was just a guess at what he might do.

Re Cochrane, he's been OK but personally I would like to see us playing a more naturally attacking player in one of the wing back roles, certainly at home. Not convinced Perth is the place to try that though!

13 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Maybe worth putting someone ahead of Beni and Devlin and tweak the shape in the last third?  

Something we are crying out for imo.

22 hours ago, 5-1Jambo said:

The coaches and players say the squad is strong. Robbie been saying he has to have chats with Walker and MacEneef because the squad is so good they can't even make the bench. 

The guys have to show that they can still win games without their main striker. All teams have a player that they hope won't get injured but its up to the rest of the players to carry the load. 

who!? is this the South African version of our Aaron? 🤣

3 hours ago, jamboozy said:

I honestly would sacrifice a result here if it meant key players were rested, Wednesday night games in the rain and glaur can sometimes end up with injuries or strains, I certainly wouldn’t risk Boycie at this one.

Why would we sacrifice a result in Perth in preparation for a game in Aberdeen?  It’s our first Sat-Wed-Sat run of fixtures for many weeks. If the players we have can’t cope with one set of three games in 8 days then we need to get rid. We need to play to win both games. If we lose them both but give it a go I’m fine with that. Three points tonight and none on Saturday or vice versa is better than two draws. Hopefully the players realise that. Just like it would have been better to have lost at Ibrox and beaten Dundee than the two draws we managed. 

I would have liked to have seen Woodburn kept on on Saturday. 

Totally understand that he was a red card risk but this guy can play and I think he just needs a goal to improve his confidence (no, this is nothing like Wighton. Nothing like it at all😂)

He's only here on a loan deal so it's not the end of the world if he doesn't start firing. But if he chipped in with 10 goals before he goes back down the road it would be nice eh.

3-0 Beni, Woodburn and GMS

Disser Pointon

I can't say I'm feeling good about this one. From really looking forward to games again, Saturday saw us revert to type a bit with a lot of huffing and puffing and, with Boyce missing, I'm not sure we carry a lot of goal threat. Plays right into St Johnstone's style of game....... Happy to be proved wrong though!!!!!

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

We_are_the_Hearts

Despite the chances created I felt the performance level dropped a bit on Saturday. Just not the same energy. Also felt Devlin was restricted a bit and spent too much time in the centre circle unlike other games. He has the energy to offer much more in attack and more than Beni. Hopefully we can up it again tonight as will need to.

24 minutes ago, Longbaws said:

I would have liked to have seen Woodburn kept on on Saturday. 

Totally understand that he was a red card risk but this guy can play and I think he just needs a goal to improve his confidence (no, this is nothing like Wighton. Nothing like it at all😂)

He's only here on a loan deal so it's not the end of the world if he doesn't start firing. But if he chipped in with 10 goals before he goes back down the road it would be nice eh.

3-0 Beni, Woodburn and GMS

Yeah, I'm with you... we looked far better before the substitutions. In fact, I thought we played well on Saturday... the only bad point was not scoring another one or two. Dundee weren't in the game and if they didn't have Adam kicking lumps out of everyone, didn't offer anything - I think they had 2 shots on target and scored with one.... which was more down to a couple of (unlikely) brainfarts from Gordon and Beni.

I would stick with Woodburn, while I certainly don't think he's firing on all cylinders, his touch and movement are better than most... and he's also happy to have a pop at goal, which is something the rest of our midfielders and forwards should try instead of taking 2/3/4 touches.

This will be a tricky game, but I wouldn't change too much as we're very tough to beat ATM. Pretty sure Gnando will play and I would actually like to see a front two of him and Woodburn. TBH, if Woodburn comes off at any point, I would like to see him replaced with McEneff or Walker - as many above have said, they carry a goal threat.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Head says 1-1, with Boyce brought on to rescue a point and is then out for 4 or 5 weeks.

Heart says 2-0, Gnando and Beni.

During Levein's time I'd fully expect the first one. We have hopefully learned our lesson by playing unfit or injured players. 

I do think folk are overestimating how good St Johnstone are this season and think we will come home with 3 points. 

Would like to see Walker on the bench tonight, he's easily the most likely to make a difference from the bench IMO. He is direct and likes to shoot, none of the other players that come on seem to want to take on that kind of role.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

Weird post. What's the point of a fan's forum, then?

Oooooh. Excited for this game. Robbie should just do whatever he wants, cos he's the boss.

I do hope we win.

(Deletes kickback account).

Tbh, there is probably no point in a fans forum. 😁

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

During Levein's time I'd fully expect the first one. We have hopefully learned our lesson by playing unfit or injured players. 

I do think folk are overestimating how good St Johnstone are this season and think we will come home with 3 points. 

Most games are tight in scoreline tho. 

We just drew with Dundee at home 1-1, St Johnstone are better than them. 

I think we'll win tonight and draw or get beat sat. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Most games are tight in scoreline tho. 

We just drew with Dundee at home 1-1, St Johnstone are better than them. 

I think we'll win tonight and draw or get beat sat. 

According to the BBC since our last win against them which was 0 - 2 in November 2010 we have managed seven defeats and six draws.

For a club like our that just isn't good enough and needs to be sorted.

I was reading on hear about how JJ and Lockey used the media to spur the players on by posting clipping from various newspapers on the dressing room wall.

Robbie should be posting our record against this lot on the wall and telling them to get the finger out and give their loyal fans something to sing and shout about, namely a win.

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

They have never been blessed with a team of great players and have produced the odd decent player who they have sold on asap to balance the books.

The one thing they do have though is a team full of players who are 100% committed and will fight until the very last whistle.

We have to be prepared to match that and this is where the likes of GMS, Ginnelly and Gnando have to stand up and be counted.

No half hearted efforts . Only 100% will do.

6 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

It's called having fat fingers. 

keep em coming. I think we're all running out of spelling variations for his surname :)