***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

Would take a point right now. We find it tough there no matter the position they’re in . They raise their game for us and it’s always a battle. Don’t expect much flowing football 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

10 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:
Barry Anderson received a reply

oFJrgZW1_x96.jpg

Was told this afternoon Boyce is 50/50 for Wednesday. Calf muscles are delicate at the best of times and if one goes you're out for weeks so not sure Hearts will risk a longer absence. Will have more on it in the paper tomorrow.

I would fancy that he is missing on Wednesday.

Just now, Muppetboy said:

Would take a point right now. We find it tough there no matter the position they’re in . They raise their game for us and it’s always a battle. Don’t expect much flowing football 

Up to us to dominate like we did at Tannadice or to a lesser extent St Mirren. Don’t know why the negativity has suddenly crept in. We were outstanding in spells on Saturday. The goals will come. 

It’s been about ten years since we won at McDairmid, pretty mental when you think about it.

but what a game that was :jjyay:

17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Up to us to dominate like we did at Tannadice or to a lesser extent St Mirren. Don’t know why the negativity has suddenly crept in. We were outstanding in spells on Saturday. The goals will come. 

This. I would not be settling for a point. Performance levels never dropped on Saturday and St Johnstone haven't been great after losing there 2 best players and carrying a few injuries. 2-1 Hearts and momentum continues, and we move on to face an injury hit Aberdeen. 

Need a win, any win. Need to bounce back from the 1-1 draw. Gnado will finally find his form I am convinced. 

Captain Canada

A third consecutive draw would be disappointing but it would still be a great start to the season. 

I'd like to see GMS starting as I feel he's more of a goal threat than Woodburn and McKay. 

Assuming Boyce is injured, my team would be: 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

Smith Devlin Haring Cochrane

GMS Armand McKay

Subs: Stewart, Moore, Ginnelly, Beni, Woodburn, Halliday and Walker

I think it would be good to make a few changes to freshen things up.

Beni has been great but was at fault for Dundee's equaliser and I think Haring deserves another chance having not done much wrong this season. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

A third consecutive draw would be disappointing but it would still be a great start to the season. 

I'd like to see GMS starting as I feel he's more of a goal threat than Woodburn and McKay. 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

GMS Armand McKay

Beni has been great but was at fault for Dundee's equaliser and I think Haring deserves another chance having not done much wrong this season. 

Dropping Beni for that would be absurd. He's been our best player arguably in every game he has played.

17 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

GMS Armand McKay

Not a chance Beni can or will be dropped 

12 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Dropping Beni for that would be absurd. He's been our best player arguably in every game he has played.

Man of the match in just about every game he's played. One mistake doesn't define a player otherwise even Christian Ronaldo wouldn't get a game for us.

When the team is picked I would think that Beni's name is second on the team sheet after Craig Gordon.

9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Man of the match in just about every game he's played. One mistake doesn't define a player otherwise even Christian Ronaldo wouldn't get a game for us.

When the team is picked I would think that Beni's name is second on the team sheet after Craig Gordon.

I had posted on the Boyce injury thread about teams for Wednesday but having thought about it he might stick Gino or Woodburn up top with Gnando. Haring might come into the middle as it could be a tough slog to expect beni and cammy to run for 90 3 games on the trot. It would be harsh on mckay to be dropped as well but there's nothing to suggest the couldn't play 30 minutes off the bench along with GMS and keep an eye on fitness levels for the weekend also. We're all football managers I suppose. But I'd expect a few changes.

So either a front 3 of 

GMS Woodburn McKay 

Or GMS Gnando McKay if boyce is out which now looks likely.

I would personally give gnando the first half to see what he can do and if it's not good enough bring Woodburn on in second half.

On 24/10/2021 at 19:36, InternationalJambo said:

£17.50 is still a mental price, though. Rinsing the maroon pound for all it's worth 😁

HeSgoal.com free

14 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Hoping Armand starts on Wednesday, he's been waiting for this opportunity.

He started against Ross County, he either hid beside an opponent or fouled said opponent. Maybe Gino or Woodburn, we'd get the effort out of them

26 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Hoping Armand starts on Wednesday, he's been waiting for this opportunity.

I was in this camp till I witnessed his performance on Saturday,  he was utterly horrendous in every facet of the game. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

There’s a lot of folk on this thread saying St Johnstone won’t be pushovers. Not really sure what this is based on. They’ve got 9 points from 10 games and have been mostly poor so far. Would be just like the thing for them to find some form just as we come to town but I think we’ll edge it. 

Also there are hardly any players left from the last time we played them so our record means little. I’m guessing Smith, Halkett and maybe Boyce are left from our last match there. 

I would imagine it's because they gubbed Dundee 3-1 just before the last International break so they can still produce good performances. Also our record up there is dismal plus we have injury doubts about our only (real) striker

Just now, maroonsgotop said:

I would imagine it's because they gubbed Dundee 3-1 just before the last International break so they can still produce good performances. Also our record up there is dismal plus we have injury doubts about our only (real) striker

They’ve not produced very many good performances this season.  Our record at paisley and Ibrox has been pish for years as well. We have a good team and the best st Johnstone will get is a draw imo. 

Burford Jamtart

This is where Neilson has to show he’s moved on from the away games last season.  

Go there intent on winning the game and not to just grind it out - so don’t start Haring in the middle of the park, which is what I think he might do.  

Personally,I’d like to see a bit more pace up front so am hoping Woodburn gets the nod and gets a goal.

From what I’ve seen we’ve not really turned defences as yet, the build up play has been good up to the final third - with either the final ball or lack of movement in the box being the problem - but we haven’t cut teams open and for teams who sit in, that’s the way you beat them - quick and clever in my opinion and bloody shoot when the opportunity arises!

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I personally like the general sense of uncertainty re how the result might go here. It’s when we are confident against the shitty teams that things don’t go to plan.

Presuming Gnando plays I’d like Ben or GMS paying close to/off him. Width from McKay on right and Cochrane on left.

Can still keep the 3-4-3 - but I don’t fancy Gnando as a sole striker.

Going unbeaten is all very well but you need a win eventually.  Gnando at point with Woodburn playing off him and McKay switching left/right.  

Who will miss the penalty?

10 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:
Barry Anderson received a reply

oFJrgZW1_x96.jpg

Was told this afternoon Boyce is 50/50 for Wednesday. Calf muscles are delicate at the best of times and if one goes you're out for weeks so not sure Hearts will risk a longer absence. Will have more on it in the paper tomorrow.

Bollox. Normal folk who pull or tear muscles are at work every day. And most require the use of said muscle, especially calves to do their job. Footballers give up to a bit of pain to easily, these days. Made of fecking chocolate.

Sorry, pisses me off, how much footballers are unwilling to go the extra mile just because of a wee muscle pull. If it's not broken, get yer arse up and fight.

Had a dream we drew 1-1 with st Johnstone. :( So I'll go for 0-3 :yas:

:flag2: C'mon Hearts!

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I personally like the general sense of uncertainty re how the result might go here. It’s when we are confident against the shitty teams that things don’t go to plan.

Presuming Gnando plays I’d like Ben or GMS paying close to/off him. Width from McKay on right and Cochrane on left.

Can still keep the 3-4-3 - but I don’t fancy Gnando as a sole striker.

If the full backs push high up the park we could play GMS/Woodburn up beside Gnando and McKay or Woodburn in behind them. Gnando won’t drop deep like Boyce often does so we need to make sure he’s not isolated. 

St Johnstone have managed 6 goals from their 10 games so far (3 v Dundee) so would suggest one of those games that first team to score wins. Usually Davidson has them well drilled defensively. All that said, we will click at some point and score 4 or 5 goals v someone

12 hours ago, ramrod said:

I was in this camp till I witnessed his performance on Saturday,  he was utterly horrendous in every facet of the game. 

Agree with this - maybe starting him on Wednesday is last chance if not then away in January 

kingantti1874

Hate Perth - been a horrible venue for us over the years.  

I can’t say I’m confident but maybe cautiously optimistic..

not sure Gnando deserves to start after the weekend. He hardly went out and made a case to play.  

Gimme an H...
13 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

GMS Armand McKay

Dropping our, arguably, player of the season (so far) for one lapse in concentration?

We need to play our best players. Especially away to St Johnstone on a  Wednesday night.

This is maybe a point for another thread but it ties in with my point about Beni above - I want CG coming for that long throw. Drops on Cummings wee shite heid about 4 yards away. He could walk out and catch it quite easily. 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Bollox. Normal folk who pull or tear muscles are at work every day. And most require the use of said muscle, especially calves to do their job. Footballers give up to a bit of pain to easily, these days. Made of fecking chocolate.

Sorry, pisses me off, how much footballers are unwilling to go the extra mile just because of a wee muscle pull. If it's not broken, get yer arse up and fight.

Normal folk have normal jobs though and aren't required to play professional sport. Suggesting Boyce should just get on with it and play with a muscle problem is feckin crazy chat.

6 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Normal folk have normal jobs though and aren't required to play professional sport. Suggesting Boyce should just get on with it and play with a muscle problem is feckin crazy chat.

Very much this^^

hilarious :)

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

If the full backs push high up the park we could play GMS/Woodburn up beside Gnando and McKay or Woodburn in behind them. Gnando won’t drop deep like Boyce often does so we need to make sure he’s not isolated. 

Aye. Decent point at the end. 

I don’t think it’ll happen but I’d like to see a more midfield orientated option ahead of Beni and Devlin supporting the frontman through the centre. 

Someone who naturally drops back in but sparks to go forward when we have the ball. However, it seems Walker and McEneff are well out the picture.  A forwards nature can sometimes be to switch off to dropping back into a defensive position.  

I don’t think it’s working with Woodburn starting wider and who’s struggling for strong form there, maybe we get his mind set for playing through the middle in a different role?

We’ve all witnessed his striking of the ball. Get him closer to goal earlier and use his best parts.  

27 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Drinking coffee and eating a scone at your desk is considerably harder with a calf strain. Trust me on this one. 

Spoken by someone who has no clue that fitness coaching or sports science exit

Boyce could play with a calf strain very easily

But one stretch, twist or fast movement can cause the already weak muscle to snap

Then it would be weeks-months recovery

There is also the point that if you tear a muscle, it takes much longer to get back to previous strength

So he could start playing after say 6 weeks, but wouldn't have the same power or speed until 10 weeks

Daft to risk 12 games for the sake of 1

16 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Some are still pissing themselves  from Hibs getting beat 1-0 fae the Sheep..

Tears and snotters eh..

Historically a tough place for us to go.

Boyce likely to be out and our other attackers not scoring goals.

The unbeaten run isn’t going to last forever.

I think it’s plausible that we come unstuck here but I’d love for us to keep it going.

Huge away support is an obvious bonus.

23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Drinking coffee and eating a scone at your desk is considerably harder with a calf strain. Trust me on this one. 

Dave, ease your way up to a scone if you have a calf strain, surely.  Crumpet.  Scone is the equivalent of "back doing ball work".  Sliced sausage roll is full contact training of course.  

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Dave, ease your way up to a scone if you have a calf strain, surely.  Crumpet.  Scone is the equivalent of "back doing ball work".  Sliced sausage roll is full contact training of course.  

True, too easy to push yourself too hard too early. 

scott herbertson
12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You can easily do your back in with a crumpet, or so I've heard.....

2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

You can easily do your back in with a crumpet, or so I've heard.....

Ooh!  Very confessions of a window cleaner era ref imho

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

True, too easy to push yourself too hard too early. 

I often skip breakfast and then go double Greggs at lunch.  But I'm really into nutrition, muscle recovery etc, it's not for everyone.

Just now, TheBigO said:

I often skip breakfast and then go double Greggs at lunch.  But I'm really into nutrition, muscle recovery etc, it's not for everyone.

🤣

We seem to be unbeaten in the last 8 against St, Johnstone (according to London Hearts [Health warning; you can get lost for hours in LH]) although LH doesn't show the Sean Clare game at McDermott Park. 

That surprised me because my recollection is of endless defeats there. Last defeat was 17-05-2017, but before that we went 7 games without a win, which is probably  where my grim memories come from.

ScandinavianJambo
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye. Decent point at the end. 

I don’t think it’ll happen but I’d like to see a more midfield orientated option ahead of Beni and Devlin supporting the frontman through the centre. 

Someone who naturally drops back in but sparks to go forward when we have the ball. However, it seems Walker and McEneff are well out the picture.  A forwards nature can sometimes be to switch off to dropping back into a defensive position.  

I don’t think it’s working with Woodburn starting wider and who’s struggling for strong form there, maybe we get his mind set for playing through the middle in a different role?

We’ve all witnessed his striking of the ball. Get him closer to goal earlier and use his best parts.  

100%. W naturally is drawn to the middle of the park so get him playing there just off G... 

7 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

We seem to be unbeaten in the last 8 against St, Johnstone (according to London Hearts [Health warning; you can get lost for hours in LH]) although LH doesn't show the Sean Clare game at McDermott Park. 

That surprised me because my recollection is of endless defeats there. Last defeat was 17-05-2017, but before that we went 7 games without a win, which is probably  where my grim memories come from.

We got beat there in CL’s last game as Hearts boss in 2019. 

Pasquale for King
14 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

GMS Armand McKay

Haring does deserve a chance but Beni wasn’t the only one at fault for the goal, if you’re dropping players for that Halkett would hardly play as he’s made numerous mistakes resulting in goals lost including Dundee’s. Gordon was also at fault, you want Stewart brought in to freshen things up? 
I doubt if there will be many changes but it’s likely to be in the front 3 not the 8 defensive players.