***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

Dundee is done,

So let's move on to our next match, so how's everyone feeling about this one ? 

I would bring GMS in for Woodburn, hopefully Boyce is still fit to start.

Going for a solid 0-2 hearts win,

McKay and Boyce to score.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

Woodburn isn't shy about having a pop at goal, and he can handle the physical part of it (as long as he keeps his cool). I'd go with a front three of GMS, Woodburn, McKay.

Massive game .  Looking at the fixtures I would expect wins for Celtic, Rangers and Dundee Utd so we have to win to keep in the mix. I don’t want us to lose touch.  
I would be surprised if Boyce is risked so I’d go with Woodburn up top and bring GMS in.  Rest of the team picks itself although I have a feeling he may give either Haring or Halliday a run.

St Johnstone aren’t doing very well but can raise their game at home so it will be difficult.

0-2 would be my prediction (hopefully)

I agree Woodburn needs a break. Let him play against tired legs off the bench and play GMS. 

Hopefully Boyce makes it but even if he doesn’t I think we will edge this one. St Johnstone no great shakes this season 

1-2. 

Its just a difficult game where the smart money would be in a draw which is not what we're looking for but most likely result

I had LWWD for Rangers onwards. Wrong twice already. 4 points from next 2 would be entirely acceptable to reach 6 points instead of predicted 7. 

1 minute ago, Homme said:

This team have something about them and that was the worst result of the season - I fancy us to right the wrong of Saturday

Can we start on Wednesday then continue it on Saturday please. 

InternationalJambo
Just now, GinRummy said:

Was a typo. Added 9p by accident 

£17.50 is still a mental price, though. Rinsing the maroon pound for all it's worth 😁

Jambof3tornado
8 minutes ago, kila said:

Woodburn isn't shy about having a pop at goal, and he can handle the physical part of it (as long as he keeps his cool). I'd go with a front three of GMS, Woodburn, McKay.

I think he's been bossed by big CHs in most games to be honest. I do think he has a great deal of skill, and just needs a goal to get going. I'd play him off Gnando and hope his reading of the game gets him opportunities.

Just now, InternationalJambo said:

£17.50 is still a mental price, though. Rinsing the maroon pound for all it's worth 😁

Does seem steep. 

InternationalJambo

I will post again as they keep appearing to be deleted. 

2-1 Hearts. Would bring Gino in for Woodburn, put Mackay out left. Majority of Celtics attacks came down St Johnstones left from what i heard so being direct and hitting them on the counter will be RN's game-plan IMO. Agree with above, give Woodburn a rest and bring him on with 15 to go if we need a moment of magic.

Edited by InternationalJambo

4 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

thats steep.  Hopefully a link on HesGoal for those who can’t go

InternationalJambo
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

thats steep.  Hopefully a link on HesGoal for those who can’t go

Would imagine they are trying to sell as many tickets as possible hence the high price. Good for us tbh. 

I would play Peter Haring in this match and Aberdeen away, why?

I believe that St Johnstone and Aberdeen are the two most physical sides in this league, and we are going to need a bit of dig against both and for me Peter Haring provides that. I would also consider giving Taylor Moore a start too.

InternationalJambo
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I believe that St Johnstone and Aberdeen are the two most physical sides in this league, and we are going to need a bit of dig against both and for me Peter Haring provides that. I would also consider giving Taylor Moore a start too.

I kind of agree with this logic also. Someone pointed it out on another thread earlier about having some protection for baningime as he was kicked up and down the park from the first minute yesterday. On the other side of the coin though, if he changes it up and we end up getting beat RN will be lambasted. Haring worked against Dundee United away, but that was before Deviln came in. It's a good headache to have but this is where the manager earns his coin. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

Missed the game on Saturday so can't comment who should be dropped and so on. But we are still undefeated and confidence should still be high. Huge away following, looking forward to it.

Edited by Sir Craig Gordon

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

bang on 👍 Aberdeen are full of thugs. They try and lay a marker down and intimidate. At Tynecastle it was apparent and whenever I’ve watched them it’s the same.  They have very little skill and very little quality so it’s their way.  Not seen much of St Johnstone though as they make my eyes bleed but can imagine same things apply

2-0 Hearts           

Boyce**

GMS                            McKay 

Devlin     Beni 

Cochrane                       M. Smith 

Kingsley* Halkett Souttar 

Gordon 

*Moore for Kingsley if injured

** Woodburn for Boyce if injured

The players need to tune back in. Not saying they played poorly but we just lost a little bit intensity and fell into the trap of thinking we had the game under control v Dundee.

I don’t think the shape or system will change but I hope Neilson has more variety on the bench for any scenarios that crop up that we need to adapt to. 

It’s funny, Souness just made a point about Fred and McTominay being ok if Man U are leading or drawing but you need more “maverick types” (his words) when you need a goal to get back in the game or even push to kill a game. 

For all Devlin and Beni are superb together and our best midfielders in general, their strength lies in defending, closing down and retaining the ball. I think a time will come when Neilson will need to be braver and sacrifice one if we ever have to chase a goal, esp if his reliance on the wide options he likes isn’t working.  

Pasquale for King

Changes required, if not in formation then Kingsley to wing back with Moore back in, Woodburn up top with GMS replacing him. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I agree Woodburn needs a break. Let him play against tired legs off the bench and play GMS. 

I know Woodburn hasn't scored but he seems to have more shots on target or close to target compared to GMS who routinely skies his shots (aside from hitting the post against Dundee). Think I would personally be more confident with Woodburn up top but like you say maybe he needs a break...

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Hopefully Boyce makes it but even if he doesn’t I think we will edge this one. St Johnstone no great shakes this season 

1-2. 

It will be a hard game   GMS doesnt have the heart

I'd like to see us try something different with the right wing back position as Smith isn't working in that role. Either look at playing a 4231 formation, which allows Smith to play to his strengths, and also gives us an extra attacking player. Or could someone like ginelly play the rwb role? Not as good as Smith at the defensive side but would give us more going forward. 

I reckon Robbie will stick with the same line up and formation we've had the last 4 games. Only change might depend on Boyce's injury. 

SpruceBringsteen

Hopefully the away support behaves itself and there's no disparaging songs. People need to remember there might be children at the game with an adult who bought "Groovy Train"

portobellojambo1
4 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Dundee is done,

So let's move on to our next match, so how's everyone feeling about this one ? 

I'd be very happy to see Boyce fit, GMS playing up alongside him, as the two did successfully towards the end of last season, and a final score of 2-0 in our favour.

4 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Its just a difficult game where the smart money would be in a draw which is not what we're looking for but most likely result

I had LWWD for Rangers onwards. Wrong twice already. 4 points from next 2 would be entirely acceptable to reach 6 points instead of predicted 7. 

My thinking also.  Thought we'd lose and win last two games.   Two wins from next two and we're back on track.

GMS Gnando McKay across the front for me. Boyce might be able to go but he's too valuable to us to risk a long-term injury by rushing him back, and it's frankly time to see what Gnando can do for a whole game, and whether his Rangers self or his Dundee self is the real one.

Woodburn needs a rest. Thought this after Rangers and think it twice as much now. Nothing wrong with that.

Also put Walker on the bench FFS. We need goals.

2 hours ago, leginten said:

Am I right in thinking the last time we won there was the Cup replay in 2012?

Great night. Dodgy pen right at the end, Big Zal scoring right at the end of injury time and us all going tonto behind the goals. Our name was on the cup that year when you look at all the luck we had on the way to the final. 

Edited by Mars plastic

This. 

Fully expect a GMS start, would be worried if Boyce isn't fit.

McKay goal feels written in the stars.  

6 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

7 hours ago, jonesy said:

You get four hours of premium tractor footage thrown in, though. They know their regular audience.

Sounds like a Deere John letter.

6 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

Great night. Dodgy pen right at the end, Big Zal scoring right at the end of injury time and us all going tonto behind the goals. Our name was on the cup that year when you look at all the luck we had on the way to the final. 

You would rarely see a more clear cut pen. Suso touches the ball past defender in the box and he takes him down, going to ground. 

I'd like to see GMS to start regardless of who is and isn't injured. Woodburn  in the strikers role if Boyce is out. As early as it is the next few games are huge for the battle for 3rd, hibs are toiling and have a hard fixture list. Given we play Aberdeen, Utd and motherwel, there's some huge points to be won. 

StevenNaismith

Gnanduillet will start if Boyce isn’t fit. He was limping heavily when he left the stadium on Saturday so not looking good. My preference would be to bring in GMS and play a fluid 3 up top with BM and BW. 

13 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Gnanduillet will start if Boyce isn’t fit. He was limping heavily when he left the stadium on Saturday so not looking good. My preference would be to bring in GMS and play a fluid 3 up top with BM and BW. 

Robbie almost always goes like for like with team changes and subsitutions, so I suspect you're right. Your fluid front 3 could be great, although I think they have only one goal between them all season so it would be a risk. 

13 hours ago, kila said:

Unless Boyce is fit, in which case Woodburn on the bench.

13 hours ago, GinRummy said:

£17.50 for st Johnstone ppv 

A bit steep imo.

Pasquale for King

Not sure why Woodburn needs a break, he’s only played about 6 games this season and barely a full 90 minutes a couple of times. 
It’s more games he needs with this group of players so he can lower his expectations and get used to how to play with them and their lack of the correct movements in certain situations. 

Ford Prentice

GMS for Woodburn and give Gnando a run if Boyce doesn't make it.

Would like to see McEneff or Walker on the bench to give us the option to try something a bit different if we're chasing a goal.

I am thinking we will bounce back and win it 1/2-0 

Hoping Boyce hasnt really hurt himself

Woodburn to start and score(hopefully)