Wild mushrooms & Foraging in General

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Since we got the pup we've been noticing an abundance of fungi and other edible berries, brambles in the main but found a sloberry bush too on our walks.

The advice is if you're not sure leave it the feck alone, so we have been looking at various books but frankly the choice bewildering.

Does any one on here forage and  could you recommend a decent reference book.

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Since we got the pup we've been noticing an abundance of fungi and other edible berries, brambles in the main but found a sloberry bush too on our walks.

The advice is if you're not sure leave it the feck alone, so we have been looking at various books but frankly the choice bewildering.

Look for the ones with the nipples

There are a couple of groups on facebook that would be a good start. 'Foraging Edinburgh and Lothians' is one. Sure you'd be able to find the others. 

Konrad von Carstein
12 minutes ago, conn artist said:

There are a couple of groups on facebook that would be a good start. 'Foraging Edinburgh and Lothians' is one. Sure you'd be able to find the others. 

Cheers will have a wee look, the groups I've joined so far are much like this place 👀

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, been here before said:

All you need and it fits into your pocket. Ive used it for years...

41rmWZ0ZMJL._AC_SY780_.jpg.9f4a7549a45c775484e1d9a0fd5c6acb.jpg

I've actually bought that,  should be hear soon....

There are various funghi-recognition apps available - haven't used any, so take a look at the reviews, etc.. I have the Collins guide to Wild Mushrooms & Toadstools, which is OK but by no means comprehensive. I used to have a better one but I can't remember which one it was - I gave it to someone years ago.

Two of my favourite wild mushrooms to collect and eat are Shaggy Inkcaps and Giant Puffballs, partly because they're both fairly common and widely-found, and secondly as they're not easily confused with other, dangerous, mushrooms. Neither are regarded as the very finest edible ones, but they're both tasty and versatile. I've also gathered Chanterelles, but they are quite easily confused with False Chanterelles, which are not poisonous but can result in abdominal discomfort (and profuse farting, as I can testify through personal experience! :ermm: ).

Shaggy Inkcaps Shaggy Inkcap

Giant puffball:  Giant Puffball

28 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Was out for a meal the other night and the bottom of the menu had a thank you to the forager. Bit much.

😁😁😁

Wild Garlic is very common and easy to find in the early spring. The stretches of the Water of Leith between Dean Village and Roseburn, and also in Craiglockhart and Colinton Dells, are great places to look for this.

Ramsons, Wild Garlic, Broad Leaved Garlic, Wood Garlic, Allium ursinum

Both the narrow and broad leaf varieties are great in soups, stews, salads, pesto and the like. (Hint: if you pick it and it smells strongly of garlic, it's almost-certainly wild garlic! :thumbsup: )

Kalamazoo Jambo

I don’t forage as I don’t want to accidentally kill myself but morel mushrooms are a big thing in Michigan and people will pay a lot of money for them. So those who know a spot for them tend to keep it secret.

I forage a bit for mushrooms, mainly chanterelles. I have quite a few favourite spots, mainly in Highland Perthshire, Speyside and Aberdeenshire, but I’m obviously not telling any of you ****ers where they are.

Started looking for ceps as well recently.

Scotland really is amazing for wild mushrooms. One of the enduring mysteries (to me, anyway) of a country where so many people living in rural areas were historically not well off is that there is next to no indigenous mushroom cuisine or tradition.

Edited by leginten

Just now, jonesy said:

I used to live in central Catalonia and those buggers were daft for mushroom picking in the autumn. Usually seemed to involve a lot of drinking, too.

It’s a major thing in most European countries. I sometimes meet other people foraging. 90% of them here are Polish, and they find it hard to believe that the Scots know so little about this bountiful - and free - natural harvest on their doorstep.

There’s something very civilised and satisfying about the whole thing. I also love going to markets in other European countries where they have tables heaving with all sorts of different wild mushrooms.

52 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I used to live in central Catalonia and those buggers were daft for mushroom picking in the autumn. Usually seemed to involve a lot of drinking, too.

45 minutes ago, leginten said:

It’s a major thing in most European countries. I sometimes meet other people foraging. 90% of them here are Polish, and they find it hard to believe that the Scots know so little about this bountiful - and free - natural harvest on their doorstep.

There’s something very civilised and satisfying about the whole thing. I also love going to markets in other European countries where they have tables heaving with all sorts of different wild mushrooms.

Yep, they're daft on the wild mushrooms in central and eastern Europe and - like the Catalánes - often combine their foraging with copious amounts of alcohol. Rather too copious, in fact, as hundreds of folk die every year in Poland alone from eating poisonous mushrooms by mistake.

Apparently, in France, if you've been out gathering mushrooms and want your haul checked-over, you can take them in to your local pharmacy, where there will be someone qualified to do so on hand. A good idea, if that is the case. :icon14:

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, leginten said:

I forage a bit for mushrooms, mainly chanterelles. I have quite a few favourite spots, mainly in Highland Perthshire, Speyside and Aberdeenshire, but I’m obviously not telling any of you ****ers where they are.

Started looking for ceps as well recently.

Scotland really is amazing for wild mushrooms. One of the enduring mysteries (to me, anyway) of a country where so many people living in rural areas were historically not well off is that there is next to no indigenous mushroom cuisine or tradition.

Found a few of these... Nothing too substantial sadly only a couple of lone specimens... Plenty of magic ones available though... 🥴

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

Wild garlic is barry and grows in abundance all over Embra.

I have also memorised all the local spots for wild blackberries, elderflower, rosehips, apples and even raspberries.

Community garden open days are also worth attending as they usually send you away with a big bag of veg for nowt.

Still not experienced enough to confidently go mushrooming, but I'll get there one day.

I noticed during furlough when I was cycling as much as I could nearly everyone you saw collecting brambles was either east European or Middle Eastern. 

21 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep, they're daft on the wild mushrooms in central and eastern Europe and - like the Catalánes - often combine their foraging with copious amounts of alcohol. Rather too copious, in fact, as hundreds of folk die every year in Poland alone from eating poisonous mushrooms by mistake.

Apparently, in France, if you've been out gathering mushrooms and want your haul checked-over, you can take them in to your local pharmacy, where there will be someone qualified to do so on hand. A good idea, if that is the case. :icon14:

I think this is the case with pharmacies in Germany, Austria and Italy too.

Just trying to imagine the reception I’d get at my local pharmacy in Trinity if I pitched up with a manky piece of fungus for them to identify…

2 minutes ago, leginten said:

I think this is the case with pharmacies in Germany, Austria and Italy too.

Just trying to imagine the reception I’d get at my local pharmacy in Trinity if I pitched up with a manky piece of fungus for them to identify…

:laugh:   :getout:

magicjohnston

Some of the river cottage foraging guides are good. But The Forager's Calendar: A Seasonal Guide to Nature’s Wild Harvests by John Wright is really good. And tells you what's in season.

Foraging mushrooms is basically they all have an "evil twin", so make sure you can tell the main differences and you should be grand.

the Hearts way
On 24/10/2021 at 17:42, Konrad von Carstein said:

Unfortunately, the first frost kills the magic, in Auld Reekie we've already had that (frost) so it's a non starting for myself crawling about on my knee's but maybe not everywhere 😀 

Must have nipples, as previously mentioned 😋 

• 4 weeks later...