Alec Baldwin’s prop gun kills cinematographer

Kalamazoo Jambo

dobmisterdobster
5 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

No surprise in a country where assault rifles can be legally acquired. Should these guns not be completely fake replicas, i.e. they have no firing mechanism or ammunition chambers whatsoever. Which would still require scrutiny. The discussion should not be about blank or dummy bullets, if an accident can happen, it will.

You still have the fire the gun for the scene. It's not just a static prop.

But I get that you could maybe do the muzzle flash, recoil etc in post production.

• 2 weeks later...

Doctors are fighting to save the arm of a crew member who was bitten by a brown recluse spider, which is venomous.

The crew member was winding down the production set of the film when he was bitten by the spider.

https://news.sky.com/story/alec-baldwin-film-shooting-rust-crew-member-in-hospital-for-multiple-surgeries-after-spider-bite-12462638

dobmisterdobster
44 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Doctors are fighting to save the arm of a crew member who was bitten by a brown recluse spider, which is venomous.

The crew member was winding down the production set of the film when he was bitten by the spider.

https://news.sky.com/story/alec-baldwin-film-shooting-rust-crew-member-in-hospital-for-multiple-surgeries-after-spider-bite-12462638

This truly is a cursed production like the Twilight Zone movie or The Crow

highlandjambo3
On 29/10/2021 at 19:50, dobmisterdobster said:

You still have the fire the gun for the scene. It's not just a static prop.

But I get that you could maybe do the muzzle flash, recoil etc in post production.

The military currently have an indoor set up called the Dismounted Close Combat Trainer (DCCT) which is in effect a multi million pound XBOX.  There are loads of them dotted around the country in hangers at military barracks.  The weapons used are authentic looking with their own internal gas and electrical system, the shots are laser shots projected onto a dynamic large screen, the weapons kick back, there is sound etc…..it’s a really impressive set up for up to 12 soldiers.  You can call in air strikes/artillery, there is rocket launchers/50 calibre machine guns/grenade machine guns etc……you can plug in every weapon used by the infantry and an impressive list of scenarios from desert/urban/rural settings etc.  all the scenarios are controlled by a central operator (of which I was one) that can analyse every part of each stage, you can even introduce a weapon jam in the middle of a firefight, so the technology is there for film sets to use…….I suppose it’s probably a cost issue to buy up this stuff.

Google “dismounted close combat trainer”

Lots of talk about banning guns from film sets, heard one producer say that real guns are not needed, it's not like we are soldiers and at war so guns are not needed.

Yet, you can walk along most/any street in New Mexico armed to the teeth, you ain't a soldier and you aren't at war, so you don't need guns.

I'm hopeful that it's a start that Americans are at least having the discussion that guns are not needed on film sets, once they realise this, then they'll realise that ordinary citizens don't need guns in their day to day life.  It's a long way off, but it's maybe a start.

• 4 weeks later...
highlandjambo3

So, after hearing from the Alec Baldwin interview yesterday that he didn’t pull the trigger, I was a bit sceptical because someone did.  It now transpires that the gun went off whilst he was pulling the hammer back, which it will do if you don’t pull the hammer all the way back till it clicks/locks so, in actual fact he didn’t actually pull the trigger.  Also, the act of pulling the hammer back with your thumb takes some considerable force to do this, it would appear his thumb let go of the hammer before it was fully locked back.  

The thumb being an opposing digit, would not have been in its normal holding position around the pistol handle therefor making the grip very unstable, it would be virtually impossible to be aiming the pistol whilst pulling the hammer back…….extremely unlucky that this killed someone.

Still, the question remains, how did a live round get into the pistol chamber.

It seems that there had already been 3 occasions of unexplained gun firings before Baldwin's  fatal one.   No evidence that the reasons for these 3 were investigated - which looks consistent with the reports of corner-cutting & lack of safety protocols coming from some crew members.   The armourer girl seems to have had limited experience in films and had come in for criticism on a previous film set.  Her father is involved in the storage & supply of weaponry for entertainment events, including films - and might include live ammunition.

A picture of  incompetence and  cost-cutting  is emerging.

• 2 months later...
On 23/10/2021 at 14:26, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Didn't realise until now she has a young son. Just tragic all round. Family without a mum, Baldwin fired the gun, assistant director cleared it, armourer in her 20s new to the job presumably prepared it. A few lives are never going to be the same again. 

Despite some other thoughts, Alex Baldwin is back at work.

• 11 months later...
henrysmithsgloves
On 08/11/2021 at 08:39, highlandjambo3 said:

The military currently have an indoor set up called the Dismounted Close Combat Trainer (DCCT) which is in effect a multi million pound XBOX.  There are loads of them dotted around the country in hangers at military barracks.  The weapons used are authentic looking with their own internal gas and electrical system, the shots are laser shots projected onto a dynamic large screen, the weapons kick back, there is sound etc…..it’s a really impressive set up for up to 12 soldiers.  You can call in air strikes/artillery, there is rocket launchers/50 calibre machine guns/grenade machine guns etc……you can plug in every weapon used by the infantry and an impressive list of scenarios from desert/urban/rural settings etc.  all the scenarios are controlled by a central operator (of which I was one) that can analyse every part of each stage, you can even introduce a weapon jam in the middle of a firefight, so the technology is there for film sets to use…….I suppose it’s probably a cost issue to buy up this stuff.

Google “dismounted close combat trainer”

Don't you miss the "old days"😃

I haven't been following the case in any great detail, and wondering how Baldwin can be deemed culpable. I get why the 'armourer' is, but not Baldwin.

• 2 months later...
On 19/01/2023 at 16:19, PortyJambo said:

Baldwin and the armourer being charged with involuntary manslaughter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64337761

Charges dropped against Alex Baldwin

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/20/alec-baldwin-charges-dropped-rust-shooting

Edited by Mikey1874

• 8 months later...