What a shock Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent.

7628mm

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Maroon Sailor

• JamboAl

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bannon Flick

Bruce has a better record at Newcastle than Benitez - winning the same number of games (and a lot of Rafa’s were in the Championship).

Won’t be remembered as a great manager but anyone that’s managed that amount of games in one of the top leagues in Europe must have something about him.

Seems like a nice guy as well so good luck to him.

Got to laugh at folk on here ripping into him cause he’s overweight… the guy was a professional sportsman for 20 years - so what if he’s fat now - let’s see all your physiques 😂

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

And so is your spelling.

Ok you're weird.

Basically, you made an arse of yourself with your Ormond statement.

13 hours ago, Boris said:

Eh?

You're joking?

I just made the quip because Steve Bruce reminds me of Bernard Cribbins...

:D Someone else, but nearly.

Edited by ri Alban

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Ok you're weird.

Basically, you made an arse of yourself with your Ormond statement.

And you've made an arse of yourself with your lack of (simple) spelling ability.  Seems a bit weird after presumably spending at least 10 years in school.

FWIW my point was that while Bruce was the manager of the Mackems BEFORE going to SJP, O rmond went in the the other direction.ie from managing us to (later) becoming Hubs manager.

Not something earth shattering but valid nevertheless.

Maroon Sailor
33 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And you've made an arse of yourself with your lack of (simple) spelling ability.  Seems a bit weird after presumably spending at least 10 years in school.

FWIW my point was that while Bruce was the manager of the Mackems BEFORE going to SJP, O rmond went in the the other direction.ie from managing us to (later) becoming Hubs manager.

Not something earth shattering but valid nevertheless.

I was too young at the time to know that Ormond played for Hibs. I just thought we've got someone who was the Scotland manager.

Even though we were top of the First Division he was not universally popular with the Hearts fans and I couldn't understand it. Then someone told me it was because he was a Hibby.

Anyway Bruce should never have taken the Sunderland job for similar reasons that he supported Newcastle as a kid. You are never going to escape stick from some quarters no matter what you do.

Be interesting to see what happens with Rafa if Everton go on a bad run.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I've noticed you get pricky with other posters in the past. Picking up on a spelling error (lack of checking predictive text on my part) proves to me your are another roaster for the ignore list.

And you thought you'd (try and) sort me out.  Total failure.  :rudi:

Predicitve text, my ****.   If you were able to spell correctly in the first place the function of predictive text would be academic

You'll still manage to read this.

Your point is garbage and suggests you forgot Ormond's true love was Hibs.

I didn't forget at all nor did I forget Smith, Johnstone, Reilly and Turnbull but the thread was about Manager(s) not ex players.

Ta ta roaster

I'll still be able to see your posts but that apart it will be a pleasure to be on your IGNORE list.

Have a nice day.

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, The Bannon Flick said:

Bruce has a better record at Newcastle than Benitez - winning the same number of games (and a lot of Rafa’s were in the Championship).

Won’t be remembered as a great manager but anyone that’s managed that amount of games in one of the top leagues in Europe must have something about him.

Seems like a nice guy as well so good luck to him.

Got to laugh at folk on here ripping into him cause he’s overweight… the guy was a professional sportsman for 20 years - so what if he’s fat now - let’s see all your physiques 😂

A lot of folk don’t have the money to eat healthily, or have access to gym equipment and do a job where you can run about and exercise, or have time. Football managers do, they also have to advocate a healthy lifestyle to impressionable young kids as part of their job. It’s not setting a good example really in this day and age. 

12 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

' When British Secret Service agents kidnap Steve Barnes (one of four kidnappings in the book) and ask him to go undercover, he refuses.

"He tells them, 'my country never wanted me'," said Seamas. "His reasoning for not helping counter-terrorism is not that he lacks training or expertise or that he's a middle-aged football manager, it's that he never got an international cap." '

County Durham Hearts
23 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think they will be consulted to be honest, most Geordies don’t seem to agree with you on him doing a decent job and I’m usually likely to go with their opinion, but the majority backed Levein initially and I got dogs abuse for criticising him and not being “on his train” whatever the **** that means. 
Doing a decent job with 7 wins in the last 38 games isn’t going to keep you in a job, I’m sure his £8m payoff will soothe his pain. 

He has done well having helped the lads finish 12th and 13th over last couple of seasons, glad it will be someone else trying to better that now, as clearly Bruce health would have been an issue carrying on.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, County Durham Hearts said:

He has done well having helped the lads finish 12th and 13th over last couple of seasons, glad it will be someone else trying to better that now, as clearly Bruce health would have been an issue carrying on.

You’re in a small minority that think that, as for his health he should’ve quit and sought help if it was affecting him that badly, not like he couldn’t afford to.

The Bannon Flick
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

A lot of folk don’t have the money to eat healthily, or have access to gym equipment and do a job where you can run about and exercise, or have time. Football managers do, they also have to advocate a healthy lifestyle to impressionable young kids as part of their job. It’s not setting a good example really in this day and age. 

Ha 😂 -what a lot of absolute nonsense 

On 20/10/2021 at 17:56, AlimOzturk said:

Rangers fans be shiting themselves now. 

Gerrard would be nuts to take the job. Toughest gig in England for a manager, probably toughest in the UK. Huge and highly demanding support despite decades of failure, and unlike Sevco, you need more than one club to have a loss of form in order to win a trophy. Plus Newcastle have struggled in the past to attract high calibre players, because they don’t want to live in Newcastle (way better than Manchester or Liverpool IMO, but there you go).

Not saying he won’t go there (the owners can offer funny money) but it wouldn’t be a good move for him.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, The Bannon Flick said:

Ha 😂 -what a lot of absolute nonsense 

How many managers, ex players, do you know in top flight football that are overweight. Name 5?

Do they not tell their players to be fit and healthy? Eat right etc?

Edited by Pasquale for King

Maroon Sailor
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

How many managers, ex players, do you know in top flight football that are overweight. Name 5?

I can only think of Rafa and Bielsa

10 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Gerrard would be nuts to take the job. Toughest gig in England for a manager, probably toughest in the UK. Huge and highly demanding support despite decades of failure, and unlike Sevco, you need more than one club to have a loss of form in order to win a trophy. Plus Newcastle have struggled in the past to attract high calibre players, because they don’t want to live in Newcastle (way better than Manchester or Liverpool IMO, but there you go).

Not saying he won’t go there (the owners can offer funny money) but it wouldn’t be a good move for him.

He is probably aware of the risks but what more can he achieve at sevco? It’s not like they are winning anything in Europe, he has already got them their holy grail and stopped Celtic in their tracks. He won’t be offered anything bigger in England and he has the chance to do something big with Newcastle with unlimited amounts of cash. Plus like you said he will be given a shed load of wages in the process. 

not saying he will get it but he would mad to turn this down. Bigger managers won’t touch it but someone like gerrard might just. 

The Bannon Flick
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I'm sure a number of managers eat sensibly and look after themselves -couldn't really care to be honest.

A manager is employed to get results - not have a six pack. In this day and age and at the level of football he's consistently managed at over his career where there are sports scientists, dieticians and chefs employed by the club to ensure that players are at peak physical performance, his players are hardly likely to eat a Greggs for lunch each day cos that's what the boss looks like he does. He can do what he wants. 

Similarly, where you talk about "setting an example to impressionable kids" again that's not his responsibility. If a kid is overweight that is on their parents / guardians - not the manager of their favourite football team.

A_A wehatethehibs
11 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

He would be "nuts" to take a contract worth 5x or 10x more money than he will be on at Rangers and a £1bn war chest worth of world class players?  He would be nuts to turn it down to stay here at tin pot level mate :lol: 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, The Bannon Flick said:

I'm sure a number of managers eat sensibly and look after themselves -couldn't really care to be honest.

A manager is employed to get results - not have a six pack. In this day and age and at the level of football he's consistently managed at over his career where there are sports scientists, dieticians and chefs employed by the club to ensure that players are at peak physical performance, his players are hardly likely to eat a Greggs for lunch each day cos that's what the boss looks like he does. He can do what he wants. 

Similarly, where you talk about "setting an example to impressionable kids" again that's not his responsibility. If a kid is overweight that is on their parents / guardians - not the manager of their favourite football team.

So you can’t name 5 fat managers then, but you don’t think that’s important. 
He was also absolutely hopeless at getting results hence the reason he was criticised for his appearance. 
As a manager you set an example, he didn’t and the game down south will be better off without him in it. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I can only think of Rafa and Bielsa

I hadn’t really considered it before but it would seem 99% set an example to their players, you’ve got Ange as well who there are rumours about fitness problems with the squad, but I said top level managers 😜

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I hadn’t really considered it before but it would seem 99% set an example to their players, you’ve got Ange as well who there are rumours about fitness problems with the squad, but I said top level managers 😜

So what did you make of Jock Stein and Ferenc Puskas?

The Bannon Flick
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So you can’t name 5 fat managers then, but you don’t think that’s important. 
He was also absolutely hopeless at getting results hence the reason he was criticised for his appearance. 
As a manager you set an example, he didn’t and the game down south will be better off without him in it. 

The weight thing is a mental argument mate and completely irrelevant.

You say yourself, he was hopeless at getting results - that's the be all and end all. End your argument there. His weight / looks are of no importance.

You clearly don't rate Steve Bruce, fair enough football is all about opinions. Yes, he's not won much in his management career granted but enough top flight clubs have been impressed enough to employ him without forcing the bloke to go to Weightwatchers.

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

So what did you make of Jock Stein and Ferenc Puskas?

That was a completely different era, Cryuff for example smoked on the touch line as a manager. In today’s game you have to set an example it would seem. 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, The Bannon Flick said:

The weight thing is a mental argument mate and completely irrelevant.

You say yourself, he was hopeless at getting results - that's the be all and end all. End your argument there. His weight / looks are of no importance.

You clearly don't rate Steve Bruce, fair enough football is all about opinions. Yes, he's not won much in his management career granted but enough top flight clubs have been impressed enough to employ him without forcing the bloke to go to Weightwatchers.

Nobody outside his group of pals rate him, the majority of fans at every club he’s managed despise the man and were delighted when he inevitably jumped ship. 
When Chairmen who know nothing about football hire managers then problems will arise, as we know all too well, but now that DoFs and SDs are involved guys like Bruce will struggle to get jobs. 
The top flight clubs like Hull/Sunderland/Birmingham/Wigan that hired him are no longer classed as that, he’s been relegated a few times and had Newcastle struggling last year and are even worse this term. 

32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That was a completely different era, Cryuff for example smoked on the touch line as a manager. In today’s game you have to set an example it would seem. 

He also smoked as a player along with many others, they were still better FOOTBALLERS, than 98% of those of today imho.

On 20/10/2021 at 11:26, tian447 said:

Got to love when people open threads and post things like "Who cares".  Why even bother opening the topic in the first place :lol:

Anyway, Steve Bruce has never really fit in at Newcastle, and I don't think the fans ever really liked him.  He's from the wrong end of Northumberland for his accent, and the fact that he managed Sunderland previously must rub some fans up the wrong way.

I can't blame them either, I'm not sure I would particularly enjoy an ex-Hibs manager in charge of our team, unless it was a manager who publicly burned all their bridges and abused the **** out of the club on the way out to join Hearts out of spite.  Then it might be a bit more admirable. 

Bruce is a decent manager, no more than that, and by all accounts a decent bloke. Geordies have got what they wished for. Long way to go yet before any sniff of success and I think there'll be another few victims along the way.

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Bruce is a decent manager, no more than that, and by all accounts a decent bloke. Geordies have got what they wished for. Long way to go yet before any sniff of success and I think there'll be another few victims along the way.

Not sure what they wished for other than Ashley to GTF

42 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Yeah, Bruce is the sort of manager that does the dirty jobs that the bigger names won't go to. He's a good lad, comes across really well and seems like a nice guy to be in charge. 

He'll get a job at one of the Championship teams like Blackburn or Preston, no problem. 

On 20/10/2021 at 18:29, Debut 4 said:

Don’t know if he is a dinosaur?  If there’s so many alleged, good, modern thinking , more forward thinking managers, why are they not winning leagues instead of Warnock, Bruce etc..?

Not picking an argument with you. But this kind of point come up a lot.  

No problem .. it might be my interpretation of a dinosaur of a coach.  Modern players I am told by coaching pals find it hard to be motivated by some old school managers on the training ground where coaching, team building, tactics and individual match responsibilities are communicated because those coaches do not actively lead, direct or at times even participate in sessions.  It helps if you have an enthusiastic and technical coaching support team but if you dont then what happened to us at the start of Season 2019/20 happens.  I like Managers who are good training ground Club Managers (eg David Moyes & George Burley in his time with us) and note how much players respond to them.

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

He also smoked as a player along with many others, they were still better FOOTBALLERS, than 98% of those of today imho.

I have a memory of a being on the pitch after the Celtic game where Austin McCann scored his rocket of a goal and walked past the Celtic Dugout and Celtic Asst Manager and ex Scotland legend John Robertson was sitting down relaxing enjoying a couple of fags and he saw me looking in surprise and he said with a shrug "Nothing I can add to what Martin is already saying to them" ..... It still makes me smile

13 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

I have a memory of a being on the pitch after the Celtic game where Austin McCann scored his rocket of a goal and walked past the Celtic Dugout and Celtic Asst Manager and ex Scotland legend John Robertson was sitting down relaxing enjoying a couple of fags and he saw me looking in surprise and he said with a shrug "Nothing I can add to what Martin is already saying to them" ..... It still makes me smile

Aye, and he was some player for Forest too.

6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He would be "nuts" to take a contract worth 5x or 10x more money than he will be on at Rangers and a £1bn war chest worth of world class players?  He would be nuts to turn it down to stay here at tin pot level mate :lol: 

:laugh2:

Why would he want success, riches, a harem of birds with massive knockers and free oil changes?

Actually feel a bit sorry for him, I mean about as much as you can when you know he's just pocket £8m in severance... nice retirement Stevey boy :D 

Apparently he was getting called Mike Basset behind his back by some of the players and obviously the fans have that hilarious but really harsh picture of him superimposed on a cabbage. Not being respected by his own players is a bit of a shame to see, also the hatred directed his way by Newcastle fans is sad given he is a life long Newcastle fan, so I reckon this should have been a job he was buzzing to take. I dare say whoever followed Benitez had their work cut out.

Hope he enjoys his retirement, or whatever he decides to do next. It must be shite being a manager in English football because of how impossible it is to actually win silverware. The amount of money on offer downsouth attracts the best of the best meaning invariably that means few English managers at the top clubs. 

23 minutes ago, OTT said:

Actually feel a bit sorry for him, I mean about as much as you can when you know he's just pocket £8m in severance... nice retirement Stevey boy :D 

Apparently he was getting called Mike Basset behind his back by some of the players and obviously the fans have that hilarious but really harsh picture of him superimposed on a cabbage. Not being respected by his own players is a bit of a shame to see, also the hatred directed his way by Newcastle fans is sad given he is a life long Newcastle fan, so I reckon this should have been a job he was buzzing to take. I dare say whoever followed Benitez had their work cut out.

Hope he enjoys his retirement, or whatever he decides to do next. It must be shite being a manager in English football because of how impossible it is to actually win silverware. The amount of money on offer downsouth attracts the best of the best meaning invariably that means few English managers at the top clubs. 

Sadly Bobby Robson suffered the same disrespect off over rated and vastly overpaid players at Newcastle. 

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

There’s no doubt about that. 

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, OTT said:

Feel a bit sorry for him ?

He's shit and has just pocketed 8 million squid !

He has never played for Newcastle, turned them down when offered the manager's job (his dream job apparently) only to go and manage Sunderland

The guy is an arsehole

Can you imagine the likes of Gary Locke or Gary MacKay managing Hibs if they were offered the job