What a shock Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent.

7628mm

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Maroon Sailor

• JamboAl

• Tommy Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor

Well out of it and football.management in general. Time for the pipe and slippers

"

By the time I got to Newcastle, I thought I could handle everything thrown at me but it has been very, very tough. To never really be wanted, to feel that people wanted me to fail, to read people constantly saying I would fail, that I was useless, a fat waste of space, a stupid, tactically inept cabbage head or whatever. And it was from day one. 

“When we were doing ok results wise, it was ‘yeah but the style of football is rubbish’ or I was just ‘lucky.’ It was ridiculous and persistent, even when the results were good.

I will feel sorry for people that lose their jobs and have not got a pot to piss in not some ***** getting a multi million pound pay off.

Got to love when people open threads and post things like "Who cares".  Why even bother opening the topic in the first place :lol:

Anyway, Steve Bruce has never really fit in at Newcastle, and I don't think the fans ever really liked him.  He's from the wrong end of Northumberland for his accent, and the fact that he managed Sunderland previously must rub some fans up the wrong way.

I can't blame them either, I'm not sure I would particularly enjoy an ex-Hibs manager in charge of our team, unless it was a manager who publicly burned all their bridges and abused the **** out of the club on the way out to join Hearts out of spite.  Then it might be a bit more admirable. 

Pasquale for King

Can’t believe he managed to get to 1000 games. 
SSN giving him all the sympathy, probably because he’s English and these nasty foreigners have sacked him unjustly. He’s said this will be his last job but I’m sure the lure of another big pay day will see some idiot hire him. 
In the real world the fans have wanted him out for years. 
No mention of the alleged £8m pay off he’s going to receive either, I will save my limited amounts of sympathy for those that deserve it. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Got to love when people open threads and post things like "Who cares".  Why even bother opening the topic in the first place :lol:

Anyway, Steve Bruce has never really fit in at Newcastle, and I don't think the fans ever really liked him.  He's from the wrong end of Northumberland for his accent, and the fact that he managed Sunderland previously must rub some fans up the wrong way.

I can't blame them either, I'm not sure I would particularly enjoy an ex-Hibs manager in charge of our team, unless it was a manager who publicly burned all their bridges and abused the **** out of the club on the way out to join Hearts out of spite.  Then it might be a bit more admirable. 

A bit like Jack Ross becoming our manager 🤔?

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

A bit like Jack Ross becoming our manager 🤔?

Okay, a new qualifier:

They also actually have to be a decent manager and not a creepy weirdo. 

Edited by tian447

Салатные палочки

"Money Money Money Money Money Money Money slluuuuurp" 

(one for the Athletico Mince fans). 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Okay, a new qualifier:

They also actually have to be a decent manager and not a creepy weirdo. 

Bruce wasn’t or ever will be a decent manager though. 

Hilarious listening to the geordies on the radio saying how sorry they feel for him and wishing him all the best.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

Saying he was dealt a short straw with the lack of finance but did everything he could...so is anyone wanting him kept on to spend the new money? Nah, didn;t think so.

1000 games as a manager and won f-all. I genuinely would not take him at Hearts.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'd give him a bit more respect than that.  Managing for 1000 games is some achievement, regardless of his declining success rate towards the end.

He was also a top player in his time, so all-in-all he's had a superb career in football, one that few can match.

The abuse he received throughout his time at Newcastle was horrendous.  It was never-ending for him - at games, from journalists, on phone-ins - all in an era when some people complain about a few nasty tweets.

And the money just goes with the territory in football.  There are people who will achieve far less in the game who will make more than he has.

I couldn’t care less about his playing career, that’s nothing to do with this. 
What did he achieve as a manager? Four promotions in 20 years? 
His net worth is £40m, i will save my tears for others. 

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'd give him a bit more respect than that.  Managing for 1000 games is some achievement, regardless of his declining success rate towards the end.

He was also a top player in his time, so all-in-all he's had a superb career in football, one that few can match.

The abuse he received throughout his time at Newcastle was horrendous.  It was never-ending for him - at games, from journalists, on phone-ins - all in an era when some people complain about a few nasty tweets.

And the money just goes with the territory in football.  There are people who will achieve far less in the game who will make more than he has.

Should never have turned the club down when he had the chance to take it after SBR got sacked.

For an alleged supporter of Newcastle growing up why would he then take the Sunderland job ?!

Doesn't do himself any favours but for a perennial failure in management he's done pretty well with the compensation packages.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I couldn’t care less about his playing career, that’s nothing to do with this. 
What did he achieve as a manager? Four promotions in 20 years? 
His net worth is £40m, i will save my tears for others. 

To be fair it does depend where you set the bar of "decent". 4 promotions and premier league survival seasons with relegation tipped clubs Birmingham, Wigan, Hull, Sunderland, Newcastle. It's decent compared to 90% of pro managers who are below that level. But not good enough to mix it with the Premier League which is the top 10% of managers in British football. Villa and Newcastle jobs too big for him and every manager has a sell by date.  

Maroon Sailor
21 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Bye Steve! 

😀

After managing Sunderland it was never going to work. 

It was never going to work whilst managing Sunderland.

He divided opinion with them as well !🤣

Geoff Kilpatrick

It's funny looking back. I remember when Pieman interviewed him after JJ left the first time, as well as Eric Black. Everyone knew it was for show and CL was appointed.

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

To be fair it does depend where you set the bar of "decent". 4 promotions and premier league survival seasons with relegation tipped clubs Birmingham, Wigan, Hull, Sunderland, Newcastle. It's decent compared to 90% of pro managers who are below that level. But not good enough to mix it with the Premier League which is the top 10% of managers in British football. Villa and Newcastle jobs too big for him and every manager has a sell by date.  

He’s definitely known when to jump

ship. No such entity as British football. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him.

Football management is just a glorified consultancy role which is usually for a set period but can be extended/reduced at any given time due to circumstances. You could not be a football manager if you took a contract termination in the same way the likes of us probably would.

Maroon Sailor

He said himself that he should have went at the end of last season.

His reason was he didn't want to shit on his backroom staff

Nothing to do with the 8 million squid he stood to gain from getting Santa's bag for life then

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Well out of it and football.management in general. Time for the pipe and slippers

"

By the time I got to HEARTS, I thought I could handle everything thrown at me but it has been very, very tough. To never really be wanted, to feel that people wanted me to fail, to read people constantly saying I would fail, that I was useless, a fat waste of space, a stupid, tactically inept cabbage head or whatever. And it was from day one. 

“When we were doing ok results wise, it was ‘yeah but the style of football is rubbish’ or I was just ‘lucky.’ It was ridiculous and persistent, even when the results were good.

Could be Robbie Neilson talking about jkb😊😊

Pasquale for King

I can’t believe he’s moaning about being called fat, truth hurts eh. Someone who has all the facilities available to exercise, for free, should really be in better shape. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Sir Craig Gordon said:

He's right he never stood a chance. Going from Rafa Benitez to Steve Bruce, of course you were never wanted.

Being useless also made it impossible. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I can’t believe he’s moaning about being called fat, truth hurts eh. Someone who has all the facilities available to exercise, for free, should really be in better shape. 

https___s3-images.ladbible.com_s3_content_cebc3e295884a3c851b640614f5ed349.thumb.jpeg.8d76b03404c2a2d96063690dac013f9c.jpeg

Seymour M Hersh
49 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Hilarious listening to the geordies on the radio saying how sorry they feel for him and wishing him all the best.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

Saying he was dealt a short straw with the lack of finance but did everything he could...so is anyone wanting him kept on to spend the new money? Nah, didn;t think so.

1000 games as a manager and won f-all. I genuinely would not take him at Hearts.

No different to every other clubs fans, including ours. 

Hope he got a big fat payoff.

I like Steve Bruce, comes across as a genuinely good bloke. He's done well to have gone as far in management as he has done though with one of the worst records ever. I suppose he's usually managed relegation fodder so that probably is the reason. 60 yrs old, has had a good career as a player and manager, probably time to put the feet up for a bit. 

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I must be in the minority, I quite like the guy from the little I know

He seems well liked in the football world but bottom line is he's a top bloke not a top manager. 

Maroon Sailor
26 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Could be Robbie Neilson talking about jkb😊😊

TBF you're spot on 🤣🤣

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

https___s3-images.ladbible.com_s3_content_cebc3e295884a3c851b640614f5ed349.thumb.jpeg.8d76b03404c2a2d96063690dac013f9c.jpeg

I remember that, imagine him having to tell a youngster how he should live his life properly and eat well 🤦🏽

Seemed a weird fit when he was originally appointed. Fair play to someone who can get £8 million severance package!

Maroon Sailor
Just now, jonesy said:

Maybe he was picking up a salad and bottle of water... :) 

I think he's dodged a few salads !

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think he's dodged a few salads !

I heard he was a massive cabbage head, loves the stuff

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I heard he was a massive cabbage head, loves the stuff

Imagine smuggling a cabbage into a game to lob at the manager 😂

Pasquale for King

They said oh SSN earlier that Newcastle would struggle to get applications for the managers job, don’t think I’ve heard a bigger pile of shite in my life 🤦🏽

57 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

He'll get a call to go and pick up his severance pay at the Saudi Embassy.

Lol, whole new dimension to being binned….

jamboinglasgow

He is a typical British manager of a certain generation, who are average with the odd good season and have made a living from bouncing from one club to another, getting massive pay offs. They have friends among journalists and pundits who will always big them up and suggest their names for any job going, and they are always defended when things go wrong as being "a nice guy."

Even the pay off is mental, was reading today that the £8m pay off was added to a new 3 year rolling contract Ashley gave him in the summer, in knowledge that the club will be sold and Bruce will be off when they are there. So basically a friend getting him a big pay off. 

Anyone watching Toon games these last 2 or 3 months could, from the body language, be forgiven for thinking Bruce was manager in name only and that Graeme Jones was calling the shots.