Neilson

SuperAustin

This phrase "the Glasgow blink" will I think catch on and if other clubs use it aa well maybe it will shame the GFA into a fairer geographical allocation of referees.

On second thoughts that was silly of me to suggest that possibility.

Edited by JamboAl

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Jim Panzee

• Riccarton3

• Unknown user

Guest ToqueJambo

"Glasgow long blink" is a cracker. Everyone knows exactly what he means. Is that a Robbie original?

Edited by ToqueJambo

17 minutes ago, Rods said:

Big few days coming up for Robbie. Has he got the nous to change the system? 

I don’t think he’ll change the system and I fully understand that, but he has to weigh up what we may need to change to regards his options from the bench.

Not one attack minded centre midfielder on the bench yesterday and that problem stuck out at 1-1.  He keeps pinning his hopes on this rotation of wide options but we needed something different late on.  

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

I don’t think he’ll change the system and I fully understand that, but he has to weigh up what we may need to change to regards his options from the bench.

Not one attack minded centre midfielder on the bench yesterday and that problem stuck out at 1-1.  He keeps pinning his hopes on this rotation of wide options but we needed something different late on.  

If Boyce is out he should be changing the system. They system should have been changed yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

We are becoming far too predictable in our build up play, plus we take 3 passes where one would suffuce. We may have created chances yesterday, but not many from getting behind the Dundee defence. We are still missing a playmaker through the middle. I hoped Woodburn would have filled that role, but I am beginning to be concerned about what he contributes to the team.

2 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

We are becoming far too predictable in our build up play, plus we take 3 passes where one would suffuce. We may have created chances yesterday, but not many from getting behind the Dundee defence. We are still missing a playmaker through the middle. I hoped Woodburn would have filled that role, but I am beginning to be concerned about what he contributes to the team.

I agree. A few nice shots at goal but doesn’t seem to contributing a lot else. 

3 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

I think elements of our system need changed. Woodburn seems like he'd be better in the middle rather than out on the wing, and we might be able to free Boyce up more with a 2, rather than him being isolated in the middle.

Our weakest areas seem to be at wingback and that link up between Boyce and midfield. Maybe time to ditch 5 at the back for 3 with a winger and a full back.. So something like:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Devlin Beni

McKay                     Cochrane

Woodburn

Boyce GMS

You still have decent defensive options but have someone in midfield to provide a bit of creativity. It might mean Walker and McEneff have a role in the team now. Smith can come on to help us close games out or be alternated with Cochrane so we're still having a defensive minded player out wide doing that wingback job. Mckay can track back I think too which would offset some of what we'd lose benching Smith. 

43 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Tend to agree. As the game wore on I just felt it was becoming like a passing routine for Hearts. We switched off to doing the key things, even basic things in respect of telling runs off the ball and getting in the box when the ball went wide for a cross. 

I really enjoyed the first half, our play was sharp with plenty intent but there was still a safe pass too many at times.  

6 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Good post/analysis. Makes sense to me. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, OTT said:

I think elements of our system need changed. Woodburn seems like he'd be better in the middle rather than out on the wing, and we might be able to free Boyce up more with a 2, rather than him being isolated in the middle.

Our weakest areas seem to be at wingback and that link up between Boyce and midfield. Maybe time to ditch 5 at the back for 3 with a winger and a full back.. So something like:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Devlin Beni

McKay                     Cochrane

Woodburn

Boyce GMS

You still have decent defensive options but have someone in midfield to provide a bit of creativity. It might mean Walker and McEneff have a role in the team now. Smith can come on to help us close games out or be alternated with Cochrane so we're still having a defensive minded player out wide doing that wingback job. Mckay can track back I think too which would offset some of what we'd lose benching Smith. 

If he's fit I can definitely see Walker coming into contention for the bench at least. McEneff too maybe - billed as a box to box mid and has a decent scoring record from midfield. Halliday and probably Ginnelly could drop off the bench for a couple of games to see how we do. Maybe bring Fraser Pollock back in too to freshen up the bench.

Edited by ToqueJambo

It's strange, is it not that with all their combined experience of top level professional football Neilson, McCulloch, Gallacher and Naismith fail to see any of this? Perhaps assiduously reading the Terrace needs to be higher on their list of priorities - possibly a contractual obligation is required?