Hypothetical situation (do we spend money in Jan?)

gregzy2k7

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vlad the impaler

• johnking123

• FarmerTweedy

• Kiwidoug

The trouble is that top players cost top dollar. We have a fairly tight group of players now so imagine if we went out in January and brought someone in who was earning more than some of the guys who've been playing all season. That could upset the whole team dynamic.

I'll trust Joe and Robbie to do what's necessary without upsetting the applecart IF we are in a good position in January

SomethingAboutObua

I think this really depends on Souttar (and Moore). If in January Souttars not signing a new contract and Moore's performing at his level then, then Souttar will be away without needing immediatly replaced, so there could be a couple of million for the club to look at using as they please.

Right now though I think stick with the current structure and focus on retaining and plans for replacing players (ie Beni and his £100mil move) for next season. Savage has said he wants to win the league in future and going by the success of thesummer window there seems to be a plan in place to actually be a top 3 or 4 team minimum again. This is our first season with the new scouting set up and first without 25 yewrs at the club John Murray, for a first season of such change the recruitment seems to have gone ridiculously well. Another summer transfer window with the knowledge and experience of all parties working together then who knows what we might be able to do next season...

So on that, stick with whatever Savage and the recruitment team's long term plan is, unless Souttar leaves and we don't need to spend to replace him in the starting XI (if Moore continues being good) in which case spend Souttars fee on a quality player we know is above our Prem's level  

If I win the Euro lottery, we're in. 

We need a RB and some ***** who can cross the ball . 

Edited by ri Alban

10 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Was just thinking that if we were to keep our form up and I know, I know, it's only been 9 games etc, but let's just say hypothetically we get to the 1st of January in the same position or perhaps better than we currently are now. (say a minimum deficit of 1 or 2 points off top of the table)

My Question is in that situation should we go all out and spend a million or two? to try and challenge the OF for the title? Or do we just try to sign free agents and hope that savage and the recruitment team gets it right?

If it was up to me I would go all out and spend to bring in 2 or 3 real quality players in key positions, as I think this might be the best chance that we could ever get of taking a title of the OF, as they both look off it this season imo, I'm sure they will also spend too tbh, but even if we were to fall short and finish say 3rd, we would still be guaranteed the 3 million from the europa conference league group stages next season anyway.

Also we have James Anderson on the board now and he is loaded, we are also fan owned and have the foh money coming in every month, so we are in a fairly strong financial position, oh well it's nice to dream isn't it!

To be honest on this one happy to leave this one in JS and RN hands. Last window was excellent.

I have full faith they will know what we need to do, and there will already be a plan in place, and if we get to that point. They will probably have a few plans kicking around for different scenarios already prepared 

I hope we don’t go down the speculate to accumulate route we did in the late 90s, the problem being we don’t have dosh to speculate with. I like my club in safe hands thank you very much. 😁

22 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

I hope we don’t go down the speculate to accumulate route we did in the late 90s, the problem being we don’t have dosh to speculate with. I like my club in safe hands thank you very much. 😁

The difference today is benefactors.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

The difference today is benefactors.

I’m not so sure our benefactors are so keen to directly contribute to the playing side Doug, remember the SMG money getting frittered away. 🤨

I remember talking to Celtic fans a few years back when they were selling Wanyamas, Forsters, Van Dijks and Ki Sung Yungs for several times what they paid, then going out and picking up the likes of Dembele for money we could also afford.

If they sold a player for 10m+, they wanted to replace him with a player worth the same or more 

The Tore Andre Flo logic. Spend £10m and we'll win the league.

I told them their scouting network at the time was second to none, why spend that when you can get the next Dembele or Van Dijk for £1m or £2m?

The same applies here.

We are challenging early on with cheap signings and loan players. We have found a market that is rewarding us with excellent value, why not keep fishing in the same pond.

If the people scouting the players and negotiating the deals found quality in the summer, ask them to do the same in January.

Another 3 players of Beni or McKays quality might be all we need to keep the challenge going.

We need a little bit more quality and a bit more strength in depth on top of whats here, no reason we can't get it the same way we did Cochrane, Beni, Devlin, Woodburn and McKay

Plenty top players out there without the need to spend money on signing fees. We just need to find them.

I have no desire for us to start throwing money around.

28 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Would be a spectacular signing.

Wish I'd spelt his name right, though. 😄

All I can see is money being spent on a decent striker, we have a very good squad and are well capable of a top 3 finish but if the right player at the right price is available we will strengthen the attack. Our midfield this season with the addition of Beni and Devlin is able to compete with any other in this league, the defence is looking solid and the best keeper in Scotland is in goal. Come on Hearts! HHGH

I think Rooney at St Johnstone can be spoken to in January. If we can get him signed on a pre-contract then I think the board will release the funds to get him in early. Probably £150k then gets us a player who a few days before that would cost £500k.
Loans for a quality left sided centre back and a quality striker on top of that and a few signing contract extensions including Soapy constitutes a good window for me.

If we manage to finish in the top two we should get decent money from Europe meaning we can sign the best performing loans full time and with money and European football on offer we can attract some decent talent.

Even if we have some cash on hip at the end of the season however I hope we go down the route of using that money to bring in 3/4 players of better (more expensive wage) quality rather than 7/8 players of lesser quality and again supplement those 3/4 quality full time signings with a 1 or 2 quality loan signings - a few cycles of this and we should within 2/3 windows have a squad of quality with strength in depth that should be able to sustain regular league challenges.

Broxburn Jambo
17 hours ago, DH1986 said:

In January I’d like to see us bring in a RWB to compete with Smith, a winger to compete with McKay…..iI’m not convinced GMS or Gino are going to be consistent enough to be adequate cover for BM.

A CF is also a must. Big, strong, powerful, fast and can find the net regularly. 

Finding that guy won’t be easy…….

A striker like that would be out of our price range

13 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

A striker like that would be out of our price range

I would have said a midfielder like Beni was out of our price range too…….

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Almost 0 chance of Pato coming back but how good would he be in this team btw.... Someone with his ability to put the ball in the back of the net getting the chances that Smith gets at RWB at the back post... Title winners.

20 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

Not spending money in January 1998 cost us the league in my opinion. If we are up there again we should spend within our means obviously and have a good crack at it. 

Beat me to it. IMO we’re a couple of players short of a real challenge 

Gordon getting injured/suspended is terrifying 

Different Class
20 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

IMO if we were to find ourselves in that scenario, we need to spend. The risk is worth it, champions league group stage money would completely transform us, not to mention actually winning the league. As mentioned above the old firm are both off it, you can wait 10-15 years for that to happen again - and we would have to actually be good again when it happens or the wait is even longer. There would have to be a limit to the budget (don't do a Vlad) but if I was me I'd be prepared to gamble the next 2-3 seasons transfers budget's if Joe was confident it would make a difference.

It's been 20 games since our defeat to some fishermen and teachers - champions league group money is back on the kickback agenda. Fantastic stuff :lol: 

If we can improve without disruption of the team then yes, Aberdeen have 'spent big' in a wages sense this summer and its gone horribly wrong. 

Squad is in a good place, there's areas needed strengthened, I would expect us to wait for the right player though rather than flung money at someone.

34 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

If we can improve without disruption of the team then yes, Aberdeen have 'spent big' in a wages sense this summer and its gone horribly wrong. 

Squad is in a good place, there's areas needed strengthened, I would expect us to wait for the right player though rather than flung money at someone.

After winning the cup in 98 we went out and strengthened the team by signing Petric and a couple of others.  Next season we had a shocker with Colin Cameron out most of the season.

Debts mounted from there until we were in deep shit.  That was us trying to spend to compete with Rangers who had unique tax management strategies.

I sincerely hope there is no deviation from what seems to be the current policy of signing players who are nearly top quality, not much older than 23, ambitious but not quite made it yet, desperate to play first team football, are highly competitive and self motivated.

2 hours ago, Different Class said:

It's been 20 games since our defeat to some fishermen and teachers - champions league group money is back on the kickback agenda. Fantastic stuff :lol: 

Naw, it's the hypothetical scenario if you care to read the thread. I think we've no chance of winning it, but if given the situation stated above. Not reading back on the kickback agenda, Fantastic stuff 😆

Europa league group qualification brings in 8 million and Europa conference league qualification 4 million before a game is played so if we're in the mix come January we need to spend within our means to worst case finish no lower than 4th.

the Hearts way
On 19/10/2021 at 19:21, best in the land said:

Also think priority would be to get our best out of contract players tied up. 

Our whole defence is out of contract 

Haven't read the whole thread yet but this was my initial thought!

Broxburn Jambo
8 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I would have said a midfielder like Beni was out of our price range too…….

A fair point DH, but a striker that had pace power and scoring goals is unlikely to not be playing for his club week in and week out, or go to a club that would be paying more money in wages

We’ve found a transfer policy that works and is sustainable and affordable. I don’t want to see us speculating huge sums when there is no guarantee unless those fund come from an individual source that doesn’t burden the club (a benefactor) If we’re in with a shout in January then it’s the current squad that we’re good enough to get us there. Full a couple of gaps if we must but trust the core of the squad to keep delivering.

Edited by JimmyCant

We need another striker, end of. Whether we can get that striker in January, remains to be seen. If Boyce gets injured we're struggling big time.

48 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ve found a transfer policy that works and is sustainable and affordable. I don’t want to see us speculating huge sums when there is no guarantee unless those fund come from an individual source that doesn’t burden the club (a benefactor) If we’re in with a shout in January then it’s the current squad that we’re good enough to get us there. Full a couple of gaps if we must but trust the core of the squad to keep delivering.

Nail on head

17 hours ago, davie1980 said:

I remember talking to Celtic fans a few years back when they were selling Wanyamas, Forsters, Van Dijks and Ki Sung Yungs for several times what they paid, then going out and picking up the likes of Dembele for money we could also afford.

If they sold a player for 10m+, they wanted to replace him with a player worth the same or more 

The Tore Andre Flo logic. Spend £10m and we'll win the league.

I told them their scouting network at the time was second to none, why spend that when you can get the next Dembele or Van Dijk for £1m or £2m?

The same applies here.

We are challenging early on with cheap signings and loan players. We have found a market that is rewarding us with excellent value, why not keep fishing in the same pond.

If the people scouting the players and negotiating the deals found quality in the summer, ask them to do the same in January.

Another 3 players of Beni or McKays quality might be all we need to keep the challenge going.

We need a little bit more quality and a bit more strength in depth on top of whats here, no reason we can't get it the same way we did Cochrane, Beni, Devlin, Woodburn and McKay

I agree with a lot of this.  One of the main reasons Celtic dominated Scottish football in the early part of this century was the quality of their recruitment.  Sure they had more money to spend, but they spent it wisely.  They would sell players for five or six times their purchase price and always had the next one lined up.  In comparison teams like ourselves and Rangers squandered any financial advantages they had on poor recruitment.

Southampton had a similar successful system in England, which is why it’s exciting that we now have a guy who was involved in that working for us.

The money we wasted under the Levein/Murray regime was scandalous.  With the financial advantage we have over other teams in this league, proper recruitment like we’re now seeing could open a significant gap on our rivals and take us far closer to the Glasgow clubs.

Vlad the impaler

I think it would be complacent if we didn’t improve the team whilst doing well. According to Mark Donaldson on satf podcast the new boy hibs are bringing in in January from

America is going to be on double the wages of hearts highest earner….so they’re definitely going for it

22 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

I think it would be complacent if we didn’t improve the team whilst doing well. According to Mark Donaldson on satf podcast the new boy hibs are bringing in in January from

America is going to be on double the wages of hearts highest earner….so they’re definitely going for it

Yeah he scoring like nobodies business 😆😆

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

If we were in the same position at Jan.  It would be a now or never scenario impo.

Even third is massive this year, could really set us up for next season. 

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Vlad the impaler said:

how does he know how much hearts highest earner is on and how much hibs are paying him?  

but on the general question, yeah I absolutely think we should be going for it.. another striker with real pace and a right back..  

Everyone's saying it, quality RWB and a Striker. Preferably under 25 with sell on value. Need a bit more power and pace in the team especially upfront. Loans from EPL teams would do the job until the summer when we can make more permanent improvements. 

Hackney Hearts
38 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

how does he know how much hearts highest earner is on and how much hibs are paying him?  

Hearts' highest earner is also getting paid by Hibs? OMG! 😱

On 20/10/2021 at 07:39, jamboozy said:

I’m not so sure our benefactors are so keen to directly contribute to the playing side Doug, remember the SMG money getting frittered away. 🤨

I think they are, at least to an extent. When Naismith came in, it was definitely said that the benefactors had helped to make it possible, and I'm sure it's been alluded to that they'd helped support the playing budget more generally too. It's also been stated in the annual accounts that they've committed to continuing to provide support for a few more years, and with the new stand all but completed, I'm not sure what else will be done with the bulk of the money other than to boost the playing budget!

One thing I will say is that I wouldn't regard spending benefactors' money on players as speculating to accumulate if the benefactors have committed to continuing to provide support. In my mind, speculate to accumulate means spending above what you can afford in the hope that you achieve onfield success which brings in at least enough extra income to cover the extra spending. I would say that if the benefactors have provided funds and committed to continuing to do so, we're just spending what we can afford, rather than speculating!

What I would 

21 hours ago, frankblack said:

After winning the cup in 98 we went out and strengthened the team by signing Petric and a couple of others.  Next season we had a shocker with Colin Cameron out most of the season.

Debts mounted from there until we were in deep shit.  That was us trying to spend to compete with Rangers who had unique tax management strategies.

Your timeline's a little bit out re signings, Petric wasn't signed until after the SMG deal, which was when the overspending really started to get out of hand. Robinson seemed to think tv money in Scottish football would grow at a similar rate to England, and seemed to spend in anticipation of that. When it didn't happen, he had no answer to the financial mess he'd got us into!

19 hours ago, Snedds76 said:

Europa league group qualification brings in 8 million and Europa conference league qualification 4 million before a game is played so if we're in the mix come January we need to spend within our means to worst case finish no lower than 4th.

I think it's actually more like about £3m for the Europa League and about £2.5m for the Europa Conference League althoughIcouldbewrong, I was once before ;) . Still nice money for us if we managed to get there, but not the sort of money that could justify spending much in a gamble to get there.

The bit in bold doesn't make much sense. We'll already be spending basically as much as we're able to within our means anyway, and there's no realistic amount we could spend that could ensure we'd finish 4th at worst. Even if there was, and we spent it, it would be more than the money we'd get for being in the groups, and we might still not qualify for the group stages next season anyway.  

3 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I think it's actually more like about £3m for the Europa League and about £2.5m for the Europa Conference League althoughIcouldbewrong, I was once before ;) . Still nice money for us if we managed to get there, but not the sort of money that could justify spending much in a gamble to get there.

The bit in bold doesn't make much sense. We'll already be spending basically as much as we're able to within our means anyway, and there's no realistic amount we could spend that could ensure we'd finish 4th at worst. Even if there was, and we spent it, it would be more than the money we'd get for being in the groups, and we might still not qualify for the group stages next season anyway.  

Well that was the figure quoted by both Mark Donaldson and Lawrie on this week scarves around the funnel podcast so assumed the figures they quoted were accurate or why mention them? 

On 19/10/2021 at 20:45, Jack Torrance said:

I was thinking about this the other day there. It reminded me of the story I think Jeffries tells when Robinson called him in to the office around January when we were going well, and asked him if there was anything he needed to which Jim replied something like "give me a million and I'll win the league."

Ironically he was later given more than a million in SMG money, and spent it on the likes of Gordon Petric and Fitzroy Simpson.

Guest ToqueJambo

Yes. For as long as I've been a Hearts supporter we've rarely if ever strengthened while doing well. Instead we wait until we lose players. I'd love us to bring in a quality striker and another defender

Vlad the impaler
17 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

He ain't hitting the target much  sure I read he has 2 goals so far.

Think he’s been injured but aye let’s hope he’s a big waste of wages👍🏻