Hypothetical situation (do we spend money in Jan?)

gregzy2k7

Was just thinking that if we were to keep our form up and I know, I know, it's only been 9 games etc, but let's just say hypothetically we get to the 1st of January in the same position or perhaps better than we currently are now. (say a minimum deficit of 1 or 2 points off top of the table)

My Question is in that situation should we go all out and spend a million or two? to try and challenge the OF for the title? Or do we just try to sign free agents and hope that savage and the recruitment team gets it right?

If it was up to me I would go all out and spend to bring in 2 or 3 real quality players in key positions, as I think this might be the best chance that we could ever get of taking a title of the OF, as they both look off it this season imo, I'm sure they will also spend too tbh, but even if we were to fall short and finish say 3rd, we would still be guaranteed the 3 million from the europa conference league group stages next season anyway.

Also we have James Anderson on the board now and he is loaded, we are also fan owned and have the foh money coming in every month, so we are in a fairly strong financial position, oh well it's nice to dream isn't it!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vlad the impaler

• johnking123

• FarmerTweedy

• DH1986

If we're still in touching distance then it would silly not to try and strengthen however I don't think we should go all out and spend an amount of money that's going to make a difference to budgets in the next couple of seasons. 

We will not spend silly money but I am sure they will be trying to strengthen regardless.

Always leaves you as a more attractive proposition when flying high though.

Stick to our budgets,  at the highest end. Spending a couple of million and it goes south would leave us in a bad position.  Also, if we are still in touch at that point it's because our squad is more or less good enough. We need another striker minimum regardless. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
3 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Was just thinking that if we were to keep our form up and I know, I know, it's only been 9 games etc, but let's just say hypothetically we get to the 1st of January in the same position or perhaps better than we currently are now. (say a minimum deficit of 1 or 2 points off top of the table)

My Question is in that situation should we go all out and spend a million or two? to try and challenge the OF for the title? Or do we just try to sign free agents and hope that savage and the recruitment team gets it right?

If it was up to me I would go all out and spend to bring in 2 or 3 real quality players in key positions, as I think this might be the best chance that we could ever get of taking a title of the OF, as they both look off it this season imo, I'm sure they will also spend too tbh, but even if we were to fall short and finish say 3rd, we would still be guaranteed the 3 million from the europa conference league group stages next season anyway.

Also we have James Anderson on the board now and he is loaded, we are also fan owned and have the foh money coming in every month, so we are in a fairly strong financial position, oh well it's nice to dream isn't it!

I'd suggest that the quality of player we could sign permanently for one or two million would be no greater than the quality we have managed to bring in on loan this season already, so, unless we are unable to bring in loan players of the quality of, or better than, Woodburn, Cochrane and Moore, then there should be no need to spend big on transfer fees purely for the sake of chasing the title. I'd imagine that if we are putting in a serious challenge by the time the transfer window comes around, then picking up one or two quality loans might prove to be much easier than we've ever known before. We might, of course, have to pay a bigger percentage of their wages, but that would be more feasible than spending a couple of million over and above the higher wages that would result.

Just now, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I'd suggest that the quality of player we could sign permanently for one or two million would be no greater than the quality we have managed to bring in on loan this season already, so, unless we are unable to bring in loan players of the quality of, or better than, Woodburn, Cochrane and Moore, then there should be no need to spend big on transfer fees purely for the sake of chasing the title. I'd imagine that if we are putting in a serious challenge by the time the transfer window comes around, then picking up one or two quality loans might prove to be much easier than we've ever known before. We might, of course, have to pay a bigger percentage of their wages, but that would be more feasible than spending a couple of million over and above the higher wages that would result.

Good post

Bazzas right boot

We should be adding 1 or 2 any way. 

3rd place itself is huge,never mind above that. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Think we stick with the plan that Savage and co have hatched.  If we are able to get players like Beni, Devlin and Barrie McKay

I think we need different options in the striker department, with a bit of luck, (Gordon's fitness), we'll be fine elsewhere.

I think Joe Savage will already have identified and will be working on 3 or 4 key players for January AND next season. They know who they dont want to keep and who is likely to leave/return to their parent clubs. 

Joe’s the man with a plan….but he doesny tell anybody!

Edited by Pans Jambo

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Think we stick with the plan that Savage and co have hatched.  If we are able to get players like Beni, Devlin and Barrie McKay

Spot on and I can see another quality striker being signed by our recruitment team in January, they know what we need.

Not spending money in January 1998 cost us the league in my opinion. If we are up there again we should spend within our means obviously and have a good crack at it. 

I think we may bring 1 or 2 at a push but I suspect there’ll be a few pre contract deals done.

If we’re still a point behind come the window for every pound we spend the old firm will spend 5, it’s absolutely massive winning the league this year and they’re not for letting Hearts sneaking in a stealing that prize.

I think Rangers are heading for a managerial crisis which will open the door for Celtic who have a few quid left to spend and some quality players still to come in.

3rd will be a great finish this year and we can continue to build for next season.

We should be getting 2-3 players in come January to mitigate the inevitable injuries. 

probably one player light at RB, CF and CB. 

I would imagine savage will be tracking a whole bunch of players who he’s already spoken to who planned to stay and fight for a place wherever they currently are. If we are still top end with Europe a serious possibility, it may be easier to chip them away than it was in the summer. For example, the big CB from Everton (IIRC). He wanted to see if Rafa would give him a chance. If he is on zero minutes by January, it might be a different story. 

I would be keeping budget for fees to either pay to release somebody good we get on a precontract, pay a loan fee for someone class that several teams are after, or to pay off the wage differential of somebody like Baningame who has been told they can go (but is unwilling to take the financial hit). In all these circumstances, £500k gets a lot of potential bang for the bucks. 

i don’t see us spending £1-2m in an actual transfer fee for somebody. That’s us taking an asset from a championship/L1 side. They’d likely stay put. Maybe if there was someone at say Motherwell or Saints we wanted a £500k might happen (if we have the cash). 

i think we would free up whatever funds we have come January if still in the running. Might coax James Anderson into a wee flutter as well. 

I'm sure January targets  have been identified. We will spend what we can afford, that is how the club is run nowadays and quite rightly so.

There is no way Joe Savage and Robbie Neilson will be letting on who our targets are, and again quite rightly so.

Heart of Midlothian 2021 is a far different beast from Heart of Midlothian of the past.

best in the land

Wouldn't be spending on big transfer fees. 

If savage can get a striker at the quality level of a beni, devlin they were free and is the way we should go if we can. 

All down to availability not so many going usually in January. 

3 minutes ago, best in the land said:

Wouldn't be spending on big transfer fees. 

If savage can get a striker at the quality level of a beni, devlin they were free and is the way we should go if we can. 

All down to availability not so many going usually in January. 

Did we not have to pay some kind of fee for Devlin because he had signed for an Australian team just a few weeks before? Beni might turn out to be our best ever piece of business.

3 minutes ago, best in the land said:

Also think priority would be to get our best out of contract players tied up. 

Our whole defence is out of contract 

Hadn't actually thought about that 😬

Should probably get that sorted sooner rather than later :D 

I would say see if we can grab a couple we want on precontracts and make an offer to take the players now, see if we get any bites. Rooney at St Jiohnstone, Rudden at Partick would be high on my list. 

We definitely going for a striker January and goalie. Anything else will be done in the summer. Though we could go for a bit more if we still hanging in.

Would be good to see 2 or 3 quality additions to strengthen some areas - RWB, CF, possibly a more goal scoring attacking midfielder. However, stretch our budget but don't break the bank for them or go against our wage structure. You don't want to be unsettling a happy camp.

40 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I think Joe Savage will already have identified and will be working on 3 or 4 key players for January AND next season. They know who they dont want to keep and who is likely to leave/return to their parent clubs. 

Pans Jambo is on the money here 

in Joe we trust      👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻.     👏🏻

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

This for me. Incremental increases to quality. But like the last window, we want players who will improve the team, not just fill the bench. I would expect to see some move on too. I don't think Joe and the infrastructure that has been created will be wating until the summer, for sure.

Still think we have the best to come from some players.

Need a CF, RWB and back up GK. A loan or two on top would be a bonus. 

I think at most we’d pay a nominal sum to get any summer out of contract targets in earlier than planned. 

IMO if we were to find ourselves in that scenario, we need to spend. The risk is worth it, champions league group stage money would completely transform us, not to mention actually winning the league. As mentioned above the old firm are both off it, you can wait 10-15 years for that to happen again - and we would have to actually be good again when it happens or the wait is even longer. There would have to be a limit to the budget (don't do a Vlad) but if I was me I'd be prepared to gamble the next 2-3 seasons transfers budget's if Joe was confident it would make a difference.

InternationalJambo

See how we are come the end of December. If still in the mix i would speculate to accumulate. If we want a player in say summer, but can get him in January for a reduced fee i can see us doing that for example. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

A_A wehatethehibs

Of course we will look to strengthen and we may sell as well. Every player has his price. I think we would need to sell at least a couple of £million worth to buy someone for that, you say “should we spend money”, those funds have got to get built up beforehand imo. We’ve only had half a dozen full stadium match day revenues. Still building the club back up. The market will be interesting to see though. And you never know, we did not spend a lot when we went down, maybe we do have a secret war chest 

But a Liam Boyce, John Souttar, both £150k jan signings, I could def see something like that on the cards potentially 

Jack Torrance

I was thinking about this the other day there. It reminded me of the story I think Jeffries tells when Robinson called him in to the office around January when we were going well, and asked him if there was anything he needed to which Jim replied something like "give me a million and I'll win the league."

Edited by Jack Torrance

In January I’d like to see us bring in a RWB to compete with Smith, a winger to compete with McKay…..iI’m not convinced GMS or Gino are going to be consistent enough to be adequate cover for BM.

A CF is also a must. Big, strong, powerful, fast and can find the net regularly. 

Finding that guy won’t be easy…….

I'm always wary of the quality of players available in January. 

Someone in the mold of Moore and Cochrane on loan might be the best option - good players just not getting game time. We might see a pre contract or two also.

fabienleclerq

Surely we've learned the breaking the bank lessons! 

As someone else pointed out there isn't really a difference in market between the free agents and £1m players. I'd rather look beyond this year and look to build a team that's the best of the rest for the foreseeable. The other thing is keeping what we have will be a challenge if we keep playing this way. 

Tennant's  6's
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Ageee with this.

The team that's been put in place will no doubt have short & medium term goals/ targets.  

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I'm sure January targets  have been identified. We will spend what we can afford, that is how the club is run nowadays and quite rightly so.

There is no way Joe Savage and Robbie Neilson will be letting on who our targets are, and again quite rightly so.

Heart of Midlothian 2021 is a far different beast from Heart of Midlothian of the past.

I think you are right but if Savage and Neilson were to say to the board that we could land a proven striker for say £500,000 I think the board would find the money.

You say we're a different beast and I again agree.  I think an important part of that is serious ambition.

I agree also with the OP.  If we're in a good position at the end of the year I'm sure Neilson will be backed to keep us there.

2 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Another forward would be nice but I wouldn't break the bank. Its not all about this season. 

It is if we are hoping to qualify for the champions league or Europa.Gives us a better chance of attracting a better quality player for next season.

Fort Vallance
6 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

It is if we are hoping to qualify for the champions league or Europa.Gives us a better chance of attracting a better quality player for next season.

Wouldn't argue with that. But I would rather we had a gradual and sustained progress rather than chucking money to finish 2nd or 3rd for one season.

Calum Paterson, on loan if not permanent.

He'll add about 3 players to our squad but just one wage.

We need good back up for CG, too. Calum is versatile but does have limits.