SPL Improving

TexasAndy

I was looking for another thread to add this comment so apologies if it has been covered.  Wanted to say that, not for the first time this season, the SPL has thrown up some unpredictable results.  Not withstanding our own result but Livvie and Dundee Utd must have burst a few coupons this weekend.  I am enjoying the fact that the competition in each game is so open.  No result can be taken for granted so far.  Long may that continue (as long as we keep winning 😘)

Italian Lambretta

The league is looking a lot more competitive this year but sadly the weegie mafia will ensure that normal service will be resumed.

Not even one round of games in yet, injuries and suspensions yet to hit all teams, give it another dozen games before assessing whether it's competitive.

However I am enjoying almost every game I see whether Hearts are involved or not, can't quite say that for the EPL this season

Edited by brux

A_A wehatethehibs

Think getting the fans back in has been a big factor, it’s been an entertaining start, last season a lot of teams eg ourselves for example, performances were lacklustre without the fans in. 

But for the likes of Hibs, they benefitted from the empty stadiums. Their half decent form was down to the fact that with the empty park their players forgot which club they played for. But as soon as all the spoon burners got let back in to ER the bottles crashed. There’s no sight more delightful than that scattering of Hibs fans fuming as a 3rd goal flies in for the away team. 

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Think getting the fans back in has been a big factor, it’s been an entertaining start, last season a lot of teams eg ourselves for example, performances were lacklustre without the fans in. 

But for the likes of Hibs, they benefitted from the empty stadiums. Their half decent form was down to the fact that with the empty park their players forgot which club they played for. But as soon as all the spoon burners got let back in to ER the bottles crashed. There’s no sight more delightful than that scattering of Hibs fans fuming as a 3rd goal flies in for the away team. 

To be fair, Hibs have been used to playing in front of an empty home stadium since before the pandemic. :lol:

The Bannon Flick

All of a sudden our 2-0 victory at Tannadice is looking to be an even more impressive result than we realised at the time.

Even within the nine games played a lot of the teams in the division have had a good wee run of two or three matches where they look like they are capable of putting in a challenge for top three or four. Aberdeen (at the very start of the season), Hibs, Motherwell, United, christ even St Mirren (!) - only one team has looked strong enough to maintain it over the next few months though (😊)

And I don't think we've even hit top form yet.

It's rare to see it so tight even at this early stage, it's been great so far. Plenty of Derbys & Rivalries throughout with the 3 Tayside teams, Edinburgh Derby, Old Firm, New Firm etc. Who would have guessed that Hamilton & Killie going down & taking their hammer throwing tactics & shitty plastic pitches with them would make the league more enjoyable?

:greggy:

16 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

It's rare to see it so tight even at this early stage, it's been great so far. Plenty of Derbys & Rivalries throughout with the 3 Tayside teams, Edinburgh Derby, Old Firm, New Firm etc. Who would have guessed that Hamilton & Killie going down & taking their hammer throwing tactics & shitty plastic pitches with them would make the league more enjoyable?

:greggy:

I seem to recall Killie had a good run, staying a point behind Rangers and Celtic all the way up until January a few seasons ago so it's not all that unreasonable to suggest we can still be in the mix after Christmas if our attitude is right. The difference between Killie then and Killie now is the manager they had. Neilson could make the difference for us 

Good league and no Arabs, Americans or Asian billionnaires ruining it

:pleasing:

Edited by i8hibsh

37 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The Americans are skint. :D

2 hours ago, The Bannon Flick said:

All of a sudden our 2-0 victory at Tannadice is looking to be an even more impressive result than we realised at the time.

I almost corrected you thinking that the score was 1-2 but that was St Mirren, then I was overcome with a sense of realisation that this is the first time I've had the pleasure of confusing away win scores (in the SPL anyway) in a very long time lol

SuperstarSteve

Couldn’t find the SPFL review forum so thought I’d post here. 

There was a public meeting last night and the Falkirk chairman said hibs and Aberdeen have an intent with this review to split Scottish football based on minimum standards. 
Standards they will need meet or be left behind. 

On 18/10/2021 at 08:51, Italian Lambretta said:

The league is looking a lot more competitive this year but sadly the weegie mafia will ensure that normal service will be resumed.

This unfortunately. English media got right behind Leicester when they won the EPL, what do we get? Stories on which players the OF should sign. Fecking embarassing that our dailies can only talk about the uglies as if they were the only teams in Scotland. Hearts (and hibs) fans should boycott those Glasgow based rags. 

SomethingAboutObua

Aside from Celtic being not as good, I think this is really being helped as well by the fact that no one this season is Hamilton or Hamilton like.

County and Dundee didn't start the season aiming for 10th which is good to see, Livi probably did but still were cup finalists last season so had a bit of money and must have had belief that anywhere in the bottom 6 was doable, surely. So thats the 3 relegation favourites already trying to do better than just survival.

Motherwell and United are doing better than they probably expected, St Mirren keep talking about being top 6 or top 4 (hilarious but at least its ambitious) and are trying to make McGrath their highest ever earner so there's a big degree of wanting to be better.

We're doing better than expected, Hibs are maybe a bit surprised but it's far too early to write their season off of course.  Aberdeen are ****ing it up for now but lets be honest, they're not a team that even entertained being bottom 6 in their plans for this season and will still be confident of being top 6.

Besides Celtic, St Johnstone are the only team that are miles off where everyone thought they'd be and that's because they're being compared to their success last season and not wildly embarrassing themselves in Europe like Scottish teams normally do.

All very good to see from a health of the game point of view tbh.

So yeah basically, **** Hamilton and their sickening lack of ambition and wasting a space in the top flight for a team with more than 1000 global fans. 

On 18/10/2021 at 09:48, A_A wehatethehibs said:

But for the likes of Hibs, they benefitted from the empty stadiums

And seem to be carrying on that format, even though fans are now allowed to attend.😄

We haven't even got of of October

Water will find its level as per

Though its gonny be a great season for Hearts Re

The layout of the fixture list has been interesting. We had a pretty tough start, followed by a run of really winnable games, feel we are entering another period of tough fixtures on the horizon.  Everyone bar us and Rangers has been very inconsistent so really hard to judge who's going to end up where. 

4 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Couldn’t find the SPFL review forum so thought I’d post here. 

There was a public meeting last night and the Falkirk chairman said hibs and Aberdeen have an intent with this review to split Scottish football based on minimum standards. 
Standards they will need meet or be left behind. 

It already is split based on minimum standards, isn't it?  You cannot get into the top league without an all seater stadium.  I suspect there are maybe another couple of requirements.  One should certainly be a grass pitch.

SomethingAboutObua
6 hours ago, WageThief said:

It already is split based on minimum standards, isn't it?  You cannot get into the top league without an all seater stadium.  I suspect there are maybe another couple of requirements.  One should certainly be a grass pitch.

The requirements to enter the top flight are the same as entry to the SPFL at the 4th tier, but each league has a minimum covered seating requirement. I believe the Premiership's is 500 (hundred, not thousand, and covered being the important part of the seating rule)

On 18/10/2021 at 15:39, i8hibsh said:

The Arabs are sitting 3rd

I was delighted to discover an SPL highlights here.  Hope it's weekly.

Really enjoyed it.  Some of the goals scored were superb.  Looks to me, admittedly from short highlights, that there is some talent out there.

Das Viertel Hearts
On 18/10/2021 at 15:55, Restonbabe said:

Scottish championship is always brilliant. So close every season 

Regardless of league this is absolutely what makes for great watchable football !!!  And usually don't have to pay a fortune to watch too!! 👍

Probably not a bad thing that the OF have been so greedy that they've strangled the game and thus brought themselves back towards the rest. Rangers look a bit punchless with Morelos playing out his contract, and Celtic since Rodgers left have been chronic in the area of recruitment at the back. Only problem is that teams are there to be dismantled now, and it is one thing to be consistent over a season but almost impossible to have consistency for a few years...

Clubs find it almost impossible to recover the situation of a player's head being turned. Bosman destroyed football.

20 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Aside from Celtic being not as good, I think this is really being helped as well by the fact that no one this season is Hamilton or Hamilton like.

County and Dundee didn't start the season aiming for 10th which is good to see, Livi probably did but still were cup finalists last season so had a bit of money and must have had belief that anywhere in the bottom 6 was doable, surely. So thats the 3 relegation favourites already trying to do better than just survival.

Motherwell and United are doing better than they probably expected, St Mirren keep talking about being top 6 or top 4 (hilarious but at least its ambitious) and are trying to make McGrath their highest ever earner so there's a big degree of wanting to be better.

We're doing better than expected, Hibs are maybe a bit surprised but it's far too early to write their season off of course.  Aberdeen are ****ing it up for now but lets be honest, they're not a team that even entertained being bottom 6 in their plans for this season and will still be confident of being top 6.

Besides Celtic, St Johnstone are the only team that are miles off where everyone thought they'd be and that's because they're being compared to their success last season and not wildly embarrassing themselves in Europe like Scottish teams normally do.

All very good to see from a health of the game point of view tbh.

So yeah basically, **** Hamilton and their sickening lack of ambition and wasting a space in the top flight for a team with more than 1000 global fans. 

:clap:

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Probably not a bad thing that the OF have been so greedy that they've strangled the game and thus brought themselves back towards the rest. Rangers look a bit punchless with Morelos playing out his contract, and Celtic since Rodgers left have been chronic in the area of recruitment at the back. Only problem is that teams are there to be dismantled now, and it is one thing to be consistent over a season but almost impossible to have consistency for a few years...

Clubs find it almost impossible to recover the situation of a player's head being turned. Bosman destroyed football.

I think that's exactly what's happened... although, for me, it's more due to their toothless performances in Europe. They're not getting any where near what they once did in monetary terms, due to not qualifying for the CL - probably due to lack of competition in the domestic league. They're being left behind on the European front... what goes around, comes around!

I also agree with your 'Bosman destroyed football' remark... or by extension, the removal of the 3 foreigner rule. While Scotland are doing well of late, I don't think it's any surprise that, the last time we qualified for a International Tournament was when this rule was in place. It forced clubs to produce local Scottish talent - and that talent was getting a chance at club level.... the uglies were also doing well in Europe!