Ben Woodburn

pointon

loveofthegame

A very good footballer of that there is no doubt. Where I do have a little doubt is whether he is a left sided forward in a front three (particularly in a game like Sat).

I was there Saturday and not only did he not offer a great deal going forward (he wasn’t awful just struggled to get involved much), he offered Cochrane so little protection and we got battered down the right first half. 

I see him more as a 9 or 10, but he’s not replacing Boyce and we’re not playing with a 10 at the moment…

still think he’ll be a huge player this season.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• loveofthegame

• scott herbertson

• pointon

2 hours ago, loveofthegame said:

A very good footballer of that there is no doubt. Where I do have a little doubt is whether he is a left sided forward in a front three (particularly in a game like Sat).

I was there Saturday and not only did he not offer a great deal going forward (he was awful just struggled to get involved much), he offered Cochrane so little protection and we got battered down the right first half. 

I see him more as a 9 or 10, but he’s not replacing Boyce and we’re not playing with a 10 at the moment…

When subbed, he was visibly angry. 

I really hope it is with himself and not a feeling of entitlement.

He is great striker of the ball, maybe a goal will set him off.

If GMS could just hit the ball the same. GMS knows he has his work cut out to be in the team, but snatches at his chances.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

If GMS could just hit the ball the same. GMS knows he has his work cut out to be in the team, but snatches at his chances.

I was happy to see him angry at getting subbed. It’s the right attitude. He wants to contribute, he wants to do better.

He was probably frustrated that he was just warming up to the 2nd half, then he’s hooked. The lad seems desperate to contribute to the team and impress, I think he’s maybe trying a bit too hard at times. Think he just needs to relax a bit. Agree that a goal would work wonders 

loveofthegame
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Yeah noticed that at the game as they showed him on the big screens trudging off. But I’d expect him to want to play every minute, I’ve no issue with that. 

I agree he needs a goal though/ hopefully comes on sat and he kicks on. He’s a potential gamechanger as far as our whole season goes. 

14 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I hope we’d never ever take a player on loan who we’re instructed has to play every game unless injured. We learned the hard way if the rumors concerning Butter Fingers are true.

100% should never be a situation we allow ourselves to be put in. 

Teaches the player nothing too. Should bad performances be rewarded? What about squad morale? Ridiculous. At our level, we can always find someone, they may not always work out, but its not like we need to invest millions to find out. 

loveofthegame
6 hours ago, loveofthegame said:

I was there Saturday and not only did he not offer a great deal going forward (he was awful just struggled to get involved much), he offered Cochrane so little protection and we got battered down the right first half. 

this was meant to say “he wasn’t awful”- to late to edit 

loveofthegame
6 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Thought better of that post

Assume it may have been a go at me as I got a notification, have corrected the typo my initial post via a subsequent post  which hopefully makes it less controversial!! It wasn’t intended to be… 

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Assume it may have been a go at me as I got a notification, have corrected the typo my initial post via a subsequent post  which hopefully makes it less controversial!! It wasn’t intended to be… 

hi - not having a go. I am just less convinced than others by him but I can’t be assed arguing about it! And I may well be wrong, not for the first time

loveofthegame
1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

hi - not having a go. I am just less convinced than others by him but I can’t be assed arguing about it! And I may well be wrong, not for the first time

ha fair enough. I think he’ll come good but I don’t think it would be unfair to claim he’s not exactly set the heather alight yet. Which if I’m honest is what excites me- he’s been “ok” in a team up the top of the league- if it clicks for Woodburn then we’re only going to get even better. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
15 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

this was meant to say “he wasn’t awful”- to late to edit 

Fixed your original for you :thumbsup:

fabienleclerq
On 17/10/2021 at 11:04, JamboAl said:

Not just the last few games but ALL games he has played in so far.  It's time for him to make some sort of impression on games.

This is a nonsense. The guy is a quality footballer, he keeps the ball so well and shows composure to slow the game down when needed. One of the aspects of our play this year is ball retention, we tire teams out and it helps us close games out. He's been a big part of that. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

This is a nonsense. The guy is a quality footballer, he keeps the ball so well and shows composure to slow the game down when needed. One of the aspects of our play this year is ball retention, we tire teams out and it helps us close games out. He's been a big part of that. 

Good point and fair. 

It is a team game, and most fans will miss the simple play and off the ball stuff. 

However, I'd like him to have more of a direct impact. 

I also don't think he should be on the left. 

fabienleclerq
5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Good point and fair. 

It is a team game, and most fans will miss the simple play and off the ball stuff. 

However, I'd like him to have more of a direct impact. 

I think he's obviously better more central, it's not how we play though so it's a sacrifice he has to make. 

I really rate the guy, we'd all like him to be banging in goals every week but the team Is more important and we've started incredibly well. I think against hibs he was the best player on the park and in other games we have seen loads of quality. He's not the most direct but he offers a balance to the team imo. 

Edited by fabienleclerq

36 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Good point and fair. 

However, I'd like him to have more of a direct impact

That's exactly my point!

chuck berrys hairline

Think this weekend gives us the perfect game where he has to do no tracking back which lets him concentrate on what he's good at. I'd play Big Nando upfront with him on Saturday, will wreck havoc having two players with a point to prove and gives Boycie a deserved rest.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

That's exactly my point!

Also a good point and fair. 

😜