Gnanduillet

Muppetboy

SomethingAboutObua

Deserves a chance against someone but Boyce is also deservedly immovable. Do think Boyce is due a rest and maybe Dundee Gnando can get on at 60 mins or something and get a goal or 3

7 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Do pens not count?

Not when we go to Ibrox and dinnie get any, naw.

(tongue in cheek comment, just having a laugh)

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

So much of the first half Boyce was 20 yards from any support and it’s a thankless task for any player. Woodburn needs to start producing something. Although I can’t fault his effort I have to say I hoped for a bit more from him. Some goals for starters. 

Same for me, anticipated he'd be a lot more involved.

On watching the replay, I'd say the move isn't to drop Boyce for Gnanduillet, but to drop Woodburn for him. The two strikers played well together when they were both on.

9 hours ago, WDJ87 said:

Play Gnando and Boyce, drop Woodburn. Wanna see another 6 past Scumdee

That's the sensible choice 👍 

If we must play with only one, then I'd play Gnando for half an hour against Dundee then start him midweek against the farmers. Gives Boyce a chance to rest and gives Armand his start

21 hours ago, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

Boyce worked hard today, just didn't get the breaks. Think you're giving him a disservice here.

He does a power of work. Maybe a better as a no.10 and put the big guy up front and bench Woodburn for a couple of games...

With the width Cochrane gives us and Kingsley pushing on, I think Boyce could play off Gnado with McKay out wide. Although I would be tempted not to change too much, yes Dundee have started poorly but they had a good result yesterday and we can’t as a club become complacent. It would be typical Hearts to draw with Rangers and then drop points to bottom of the league. However, this team seems to be different. 

Ex member of the SaS

I have stated before I don't rate Boyce as he trips over his feet/ball too often, despite his obvious goal record ( many of which are penalties mind )  But I thought he did ok today with very little support and won a few fouls that broke up play. All about opinions I suppose.

Ex member of the SaS
17 minutes ago, karipidis said:

With the width Cochrane gives us and Kingsley pushing on, I think Boyce could play off Gnado with McKay out wide. Although I would be tempted not to change too much, yes Dundee have started poorly but they had a good result yesterday and we can’t as a club become complacent. It would be typical Hearts to draw with Rangers and then drop points to bottom of the league. However, this team seems to be different. 

Said this to the wife after the game, great result only to fail miserably against a struggling team. Just glad they got the bogey of not scoring past them as it was 100% sure we would let them break that hoodoo. So we have to go out with the attitude they are a worthy team and play like we did yesterday. Oh and hammer them stupid!

15 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Do pens not count?

Clearly they count as goals, but they don't really count when assessing whether someone is a good striker or not. If we had Craig Gordon take our penalties and he scored them all, would that make him a good striker? 

A really good forward player can hold passes, make passes and create chances as well as score goals. I think Boyce is a decent striker, but he's frustrating to watch as moves often break down when he gets the ball. It's all about opinions, of course, but personally I think he's a bit overrated.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I don’t mind this general idea but IMO Gnanduillet should be starting to get at least 30 mins every game - whomever he replaces, even Boyce (who I still have this nagging voice in my head about notwithstanding his - mostly penalty - goals as I thinks he often slows us down a bit in the top 1/3) as I’d say ironically Gnando is more mobile and busy than Boyce.

Anyway, thoughts regarding Gnando getting

more game time?

I guess deep down I think for us to properly challenge for the league we need more variety up front with our main striker - something Savage may be working on I guess for January.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Wasn’t able to watch the game yesterday but for me he should be getting more minutes aye. 

Edited by GinRummy

The right combination up front is still to be determined.

If we're going to properly challenge we need to do a bit better. I'd say Gnanduillet could be part of that.

Home game against Dundee next up might give us a chance to see more of him.

At the same time though, we don't want to change too much at the minute. 

Francis Albert
16 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Do pens not count?

Of course they do. But the penalty taker has  a bit of an advantage in clocking up goals compared to a non-penalty taker.

Francis Albert
21 minutes ago, Homme said:

Home game against Dundee next up might give us a chance to see more of him.

At the same time though, we don't want to change too much at the minute. 

Changes yesterday helped!

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Of course they do. But the penalty taker has  a bit of an advantage in clocking up goals compared to a non-penalty taker.

Yep. 

Pens count. But if Woodburn or Beni or Smith/Halkett etc took pens we’d likely have the same amount of goals form pens this season and Boyce would be on 4 goals (there or snouts).

4 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I have stated before I don't rate Boyce as he trips over his feet/ball too often, despite his obvious goal record ( many of which are penalties mind )  But I thought he did ok today with very little support and won a few fouls that broke up play. All about opinions I suppose.

Your point about "very  little support" says it all.  

Takeshi kovac

Woodburn done heehaw yesterday  , drop him and bring in Gnando against Dundee. 2 up top and Mckay out wide

29 minutes ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Woodburn done heehaw yesterday  , drop him and bring in Gnando against Dundee. 2 up top and Mckay out wide

Disagree. Keep the formation but give Boyce a rest. No problems if Woodburn starts again but we have depth so fair argument to rotate a bit.  We have a system that is working, so if it aint broke..

Gordon

Smith Souttar Halkett Kingsley Cochrane

Beni Devlin

Gino Gnando McKay

1 hour ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Happy to oblige, Mr McPake. What's that you say? Of course we could switch to a back four and give our venerable goalkeeper a much deserved rest this weekend. As you so perceptively and helpfully point out even the most successful of teams needs to be freshened up from time to time and no time like the present.

Takeshi kovac
34 minutes ago, sirwalter said:

Happy to oblige, Mr McPake. What's that you say? Of course we could switch to a back four and give our venerable goalkeeper a much deserved rest this weekend. As you so perceptively and helpfully point out even the most successful of teams needs to be freshened up from time to time and no time like the present.

I never mentioned switching to a back 4 ya nugget, you do realise you can have 2 centre forwards and a back 3 ?

Just now, Takeshi kovac said:

I never mentioned switching to a back 4 ya nugget, you do realise you can have 2 centre forwards and a back 3 ?

I'm extrapolating from what you say to what McPake might say if "advising" Robbie on tactics for Saturday. The intention is satirical and intended as an observation on the questionable advisability of a switch in tactics at present. Did you really think that someone could think you so foolish as to advocate dropping Craig? - although I'm sure McPake would in this imagined scenario! Yes, we could play 3-5-2 but there is an argument to be made for "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Lighten up! 

Jambof3tornado
21 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

So much of the first half Boyce was 20 yards from any support and it’s a thankless task for any player. Woodburn needs to start producing something. Although I can’t fault his effort I have to say I hoped for a bit more from him. Some goals for starters. 

I thought we could have brought gnando on for woodburn on the hour mark. Mix it up and give them a different problem. Woodburn was bullied by a very good right back yesterday who bullies most opponents.

No need to start tinkering now - we’re unbeaten. Gnando will get his chance and I’m pleased that he looks good when he comes on but isn’t Boyce the league’s top scorer ? 

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Disagree. Keep the formation but give Boyce a rest. No problems if Woodburn starts again but we have depth so fair argument to rotate a bit.  We have a system that is working, so if it aint broke..

Gordon

Smith Souttar Halkett Kingsley Cochrane

Beni Devlin

Gino Gnando McKay

Gino been quite poor so far this season. Would prefer Boyce and McKay with Gnando playing slightly in front of them.

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yep. 

Pens count. But if Woodburn or Beni or Smith/Halkett etc took pens we’d likely have the same amount of goals form pens this season and Boyce would be on 4 goals (there or snouts).

And if it was goals from open play per minutes on the pitch Boyce's scoring record would not be so far in front of other players. Of course he should be playing but when people mention him in the same breath as Robbo I wince a little, and he should certainly not be undroppable.

On 16/10/2021 at 19:33, comradejambo said:

Saying Gnando starts ahead of Boyce is nuts! Anyone who goes to the games must see the shift that Boyce puts in… sometimes it’s a thankless task but he gives everything and many days his work pays off… a real team player … Gnando has his place but no ways is better than Boyce 

Correct.

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

And if it was goals from open play per minutes on the pitch Boyce's scoring record would not be so far in front of other players. Of course he should be playing but when people mention him in the same breath as Robbo I wince a little, and he should certainly not be undroppable.

You just made that up. 

Nobody mentions Boyce in the same breath as Robbo. 😂

Francis Albert
Just now, luckydug said:

You just made that up. 

Nobody mentions Boyce in the same breath as Robbo. 😂

"Heading to be our first 20 goals a season striker since Robbo"

Read it on here more than once.  I think you would not need more than one breath for that.

portobellojambo1
On 16/10/2021 at 18:06, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Yup. Boyce is a total enigma to me. Goal stats are easily good enough but I'm hardly ever impressed with him. Slows every attack down and rarely gets in position to score from open play. 

I actually have a lot of sympathy with him (Boyce). Although I'm still not 100% convinced by Gnanduillet (done not bad when he came on yesterda) I do think Boyce can and will benefit by having another forward up front with him. He did get a fair bit of comment from fans in the first half where he was effectively playing the front role on his own. Whenever the ball was pumped forward to him he was on his own, with no one in advance of him. And because he was on his own and inevitably had to look backwards for someone to play the ball to he was also easy to deal with as the Rangers defenders only had to concentrate on him. Looked a lot better second half when we became more offensive, as did Michael Smith, who never had anyone wide right to play the ball to until Ginnelly came onto the park. I hope that in time we can attract another forward/penalty box player to play up top alongside Boyce. The problem is at the moment when you think about players you'd like to see in the team there aren't many, if any, strikers who stick out as players you'd love to see the club sign. Short term playing either Woodburn or Mackay Steven a lot closer to Boyce might help.

10 hours ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Sounds right 👍

pettigrewsstylist
On 16/10/2021 at 18:06, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Yup. Boyce is a total enigma to me. Goal stats are easily good enough but I'm hardly ever impressed with him. Slows every attack down and rarely gets in position to score from open play. 

Would like to see our crossing getting to a standard where he gets a chance to do what he does best.