Gnanduillet

Muppetboy

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Yup. Boyce is a total enigma to me. Goal stats are easily good enough but I'm hardly ever impressed with him. Slows every attack down and rarely gets in position to score from open play. 

Just now, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Yup. Boyce is a total enigma to me. Goal stats are easily good enough but I'm hardly ever impressed with him. Slows every attack down and rarely gets in position to score from open play. 

👍

Just now, jr ewing said:

Must keep. 

Going to struggle with that when he is not getting much game time, I thought he offered alot up top but he gave Boyce options who often looked isolated.

1 minute ago, steve123 said:

Going to struggle with that when he is not getting much game time, I thought he offered alot up top but he gave Boyce options who often looked isolated.

More game time then. 

26 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Boyce has flaws but is class above most strikers in this league.  Dont think the formation suits him, he slows play down as he typically gets it with not much support, but he is still bagging goals on a regular basis.  People will say penalties etc but he went and won that pen against Motherwell in the first minute.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Boyce has flaws but is class above most strikers in this league.  Dont think the formation suits him, he slows play down as he typically gets it with not much support, but he is still bagging goals on a regular basis.  People will say penalties etc but he went and won that pen against Motherwell in the first minute.

Unlucky not to get one today also. 
Gnando might’ve offered more in behind Balogun but no doubt would’ve been flagged offside by the dodgy ass refs. 

1 minute ago, jambo mark said:

Are we arguing about the same Liam Boyce that’s scored how many goals already this season?

How many of them have been penalties?

He Who Cannot Be Named

Boyce worked hard today, just didn't get the breaks. Think you're giving him a disservice here.

I've been thinking we needed to give Boyce a bit of a rest from starters duties for a few weeks now but you simply don't bench a striker on a goal streak. TBF if McKay had squared the ball today he'd still be on it.

I really like what Gnanduillet brings to the game but I think we would miss Boyce's strong nose for a goal.

Holyrood_Hearts
6 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

Are we arguing about the same Liam Boyce that’s scored how many goals already this season?

Yeah the very same. 

I like Gnanduillet, but guaranteed as soon as he replaces Boyce in the starting line up & hasn't scored within the 1st 5 mins of the game they’ll be wanting Boyce back in!

49 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Offered more than Boyce when he came on, looked assured and composed and a decent strike too

We need to see what he can offer! Looks far more mobile and a better option up top for high balls!

10 minutes here and 10 mins there is no good for him or us to judge!

Boyce looks frustrated and would benefit from either some support or a rest!

Home versus bottom of the league* next weekend might be a chance to give Gnanduillet a start, one way or another.

*may change in the next 45 minutes

PhoenixHearts

I think Dundee gives us a perfect opportunity to start Gnando in place of Boyce and see what he can do in a starting role. 

Some will say Boyce doesn't deserve to be dropped, and he shouldn't be, but playing at home to the worst team in the league is where you can afford a tinker.

And IF he did usurp Boyce (our leading goalscorer) then surely that can only be a good problem to have because it means he's came in and played great.

Remember not too long ago Haring was unfairly dropped (imo) but nevertheless Devlin came in and it seems to have been a great move. Devlin has looked the part and it's largely viewed as a good problem to have with a player of Haring's calibre on the bench. 

Our squad is very deep and as long as we're getting results we shouldn't be afraid of giving anyone a chance, whether or not that means Haring or Boyce or Ginelly or GMS or whoever else dripping out.

Byyy The Light

Boyce still starter for me. I think a lot of the good stuff he does goes undervalued. Especially the role he plays in a 3-4-3.

Gnando did well when he came on but we changed to a 4-2-3-1 at that point.

Great to have options. Would love a pace merchant too. 

Saying Gnando starts ahead of Boyce is nuts! Anyone who goes to the games must see the shift that Boyce puts in… sometimes it’s a thankless task but he gives everything and many days his work pays off… a real team player … Gnando has his place but no ways is better than Boyce 

jack D and coke

So much of the first half Boyce was 20 yards from any support and it’s a thankless task for any player. Woodburn needs to start producing something. Although I can’t fault his effort I have to say I hoped for a bit more from him. Some goals for starters. 

1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

This.

Boyce was poor today. Not the kind of player we need at Parkhead or Ibrox in my view. You could see the difference straight away when Gnando came on. He did well in his wee cameo role.

Big man done well in his time on the pitch, Boyce due to his goals is our first pick striker but was honking today. Slowed the game down constantly and his passing was woeful a couple of times today. Gnanduillet must be wondering how Boyce stayed on the park today. 

He certainly made a difference when he came on, but keeping Boyce on, also made the difference, 2 up top, gave them something more to think about, personally I'd like to see 2 up front in future games, especially at home, fair play to Robbie for that.

2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

1 hour ago, jambo mark said:

Liam Boyce has the quickest feet in this League. He's not your standard striker, doesn't run around like a headless chicken, doesn't challenge Centre-halves and goalies for high balls in the box; he's a one-off. 

If he had pace and physicality he'd be playing for PSG, not us. Sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone, so don't knock him for the things he doesn't do,  just recognise him for the things he does. 

He's a good player. It is extremely difficult to make an impact when you are getting 15 mins a game but I think he has done well. Unlucky that Boyce has been so consistent and not injured 

Can’t believe we’ve a guy on track for being our first 20 goal a season striker and we want him dropped!?

Gnando was decent when he came off the bench, but the game plan changed and became much more direct. We’d also moved 30 yards up the park.

fabienleclerq

Boyce again put in a shift today, holds the ball up and shuts defenders down. Don't understand people who don't rate him. Also on the penalties stuff, who gives af a goal is a goal. 

I like Gnando. Offers a real focal point and he most certainly unsettles defenders.

Boyce has obviously got a great scoring ratio but at times he just looks so easy to defend against. Nice to have another option when it's not working.

If anyone drops out it is Woodburn. He's done naff all since he signed. Clearly a good player but needs to either make some goals or start scoring them. Spent most of this afternoon giving the ball away before getting hooked. 

You can’t say he doesn’t take his chances when given time, which makes it all the more frustrating when he can spend a whole match on the bench. But we have a strong squad and I do understand the reluctance to take Boyce off if we’re ever in a position where a goal is needed. Gnanduillet made an impact once again though, not just offensively by offering something different (lost count of how many times we’d play a ball to a winger who would receive it only to turn back on themselves, so was amazing to see a straight ball up to him knowing he can take it in - which he done really well in the instance with his shot, where he leaped high to control with this chest, something that just couldn’t be done with any other player. Also done his part defensively at set pierces with clearances etc.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

If anyone drops out it is Woodburn. He's done naff all since he signed. Clearly a good player but needs to either make some goals or start scoring them. Spent most of this afternoon giving the ball away before getting hooked. 

He looked no happy at all when subbed today .

Dr Ian Malcolm

Boyce had a rest by not going away with Northern Ireland. Us creating nothing for an hour today did him no favours.

By far and away our best striker. Dropping him when there's no reason to would be nuts.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Can’t really disagree with that. Expected better from him but so far he’s just not got up to speed. A few games on the bench or being used as a sub might be the little bit of break or motivation he requires. 

Gnando must be watching Woodburn and think he deserves a fairer crack. But if we stay undefeated it’s difficult to argue. 

Great problems to have either way.

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

This

He can display some nice touches but really does not influence a game in any way.  I suspect that's why he's with us and not Liverpool