Mince ‘n’ tatties with……….

Angel eyes

26 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Hate Mince and Tatties more than Broccoli! Have not eaten it for 60 years or more.

Your loss.

On 15/10/2021 at 19:16, Angel eyes said:

Skirlie or mealie if you prefer……8-EAD272-D-DAB0-47-C8-8-D83-915655-A15-B

or doughballs……..9-C8-FB073-C76-B-46-A4-8-D33-FFC37124-ED

Option at tea time 🤔……….doughballs 👍

That looks braw, my granny always had doughballs with our mince, now its carrots , bisto gravy, slices of bread and marg.  

I'm the king of mince and tatties according to my Doris.

Mince with onion carrots and fresh peas through it.

Mashed tatties wi butter and milk.

Speyside specialties mealy pudding and baxters crinkle cut beetroot  on the side.

Finished off covered in broon sauce. 👌

37 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

I'm the king of mince and tatties according to my Doris.

Mince with onion carrots and fresh peas through it.

Mashed tatties wi butter and milk.

Speyside specialties mealy pudding and baxters crinkle cut beetroot  on the side.

Finished off covered in broon sauce. 👌

Baby beets but hey beetroot is beetroot eh…mealie if like the Speyside black pudding is spicy 👍

6 hours ago, weegranty said:

I put HP Sauce in my mince when cooking.

Broon is an acceptable addition IMO, Daddies ideally but HP will do.

Have we discussed mustard mash yet?

1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

Baby beets but hey beetroot is beetroot eh…mealie if like the Speyside black pudding is spicy 👍

Nah baby beets look too much like prostates 🤮

SS gear is good stuff likes

any good recipes for skirlie? this thread has inspired me to have mince n tatties tonight and i want to try skirlie with it. i'll probably have some doughballs as well

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Broon is an acceptable addition IMO, Daddies ideally but HP will do.

Have we discussed mustard mash yet?

Gotta add some mustard to a mash :icon14:, either grainy or Dijon works well. Mixed root-veg mash - including tatties, of course - is also great, especially for those who don't like bits of veg in their mince. I hardly ever do plain mashed tatties any more: I almost always cook up some carrots as well, with turnip and/or sweet potato also being acceptable additions. The best is with tatties and celeriac however.

As for the mince, I just can't help myself when it comes to adding garlic, chilli, paprika, cumin, and tomato paste / tinned-tomatoes these days - sorry...   :runaway:

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

any good recipes for skirlie? this thread has inspired me to have mince n tatties tonight and i want to try skirlie with it. i'll probably have some doughballs as well

https://m.facebook.com/speysidespecialities/?locale2=en_GB

Save yourself the hassle and pick a couple of white pudding from your local big supermarket

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

As for the mince, I just can't help myself when it comes to adding garlic, chilli, paprika, cumin, and tomato paste / tinned-tomatoes these days - sorry...   :runaway:

If I can be bothered I'll make posh mince and tatties. Start off with finely chopped shallots, soften them slowly in the pan and then add a clove of chopped garlic. After a minute or so, before the garlic burns, a big glug of balsamic vinegar, about a tablespoon or two. Then add the mince that you've browned in batches beforehand in another pan, as if you do all at once the mince can release moisture and ends up steaming itself instead of browning properly. Once it's all good add about a pint of good stock and red wine 50/50 mix, a squirt of tomato paste, and some fresh thyme. Then about half an hour before serving chuck in a good handful of chopped chestnut mushrooms. Any left over can be frozen and gives you a brilliant base for shepherd's pie with a nice cheesy mash on top. 

16 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

sadly they dont sell white pudding where i am. i doubt they have heard of it in england

My bad I assumed you were in Scotland 😔

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If I can be bothered I'll make posh mince and tatties. Start off with finely chopped shallots, soften them slowly in the pan and then add a clove of chopped garlic. After a minute or so, before the garlic burns, a big glug of balsamic vinegar, about a tablespoon or two. Then add the mince that you've browned in batches beforehand in another pan, as if you do all at once the mince can release moisture and ends up steaming itself instead of browning properly. Once it's all good add about a pint of good stock and red wine 50/50 mix, a squirt of tomato paste, and some fresh thyme. Then about half an hour before serving chuck in a good handful of chopped chestnut mushrooms. Any left over can be frozen and gives you a brilliant base for shepherd's pie with a nice cheesy mash on top. 

Bolognese in other words 😁

19 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

sadly they dont sell white pudding where i am. i doubt they have heard of it in england

TBF it was 20+ years ago but I used to get white puddings out of farmfoods in England. They were good too, like the ones you used to get in school dinners

Just now, crunchy frog said:

Bolognese in other words 😁

Not at all. Fairly close to some ragu recipes but the tomato is only there to add a bit of a tang and not be an identifiable flavour. Also I thicken it at the end with a bit of Bisto that I'd never add to a bolognese. My bolognese recipe includes pancetta, celery, and carrots, and a shit load more garlic. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not at all. Fairly close to some ragu recipes but the tomato is only there to add a bit of a tang and not be an identifiable flavour. Also I thicken it at the end with a bit of Bisto that I'd never add to a bolognese. My bolognese recipe includes pancetta, celery, and carrots, and a shit load more garlic. 

And tomatoes of course. 

Classic ragu from Bologna has milk of all thing instead of tomato and it's delicious. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

:icon14:

On 15/10/2021 at 19:40, Section N Rules said:

Mince and tatties with Heinz beans 

This all mashed together like a dogs dinner is the only way 😁

Hate the stuff. Used to have it all the time when I was younger but was never a big fan. Was put in front of me one night for dinner, made to eat it under the threat of my old boy skelping me and ended up spewing in it.

Never had it since.

5 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Never had doughballs for years.

Lovely.

Bread and butter lovely as well.

Think slimming world or weight watchers would have summat to say if one of their members rocked up at class said that’s what a had for my tea😜

23 hours ago, Wish said:

Hate the stuff. Used to have it all the time when I was younger but was never a big fan. Was put in front of me one night for dinner, made to eat it under the threat of my old boy skelping me and ended up spewing in it.

Never had it since.

I'm the same with mince that has peas and carrots in it, for the same reason. Didn't want to eat it for my tea one night as a kid and my mum, who had threatened before to give me it for breakfast the next morning if I didn't eat it, followed through with the threat and put it in front of me the next morning.

Had the exact opposite result than she probably intended, and I've got the boak every time since when I see mince with peas and carrots through it.

John Gentleman
On 16/10/2021 at 23:48, Maroon Sailor said:

Garden peas in with the mince

Another vote for peas.