New Contracts

The Tackle

20 odd new contracts required for next year (i was going to post a list but I'm lazy) 

Who would you keep and who would you let go. Halkett in the news recently talking about how he's enjoyed his time here. He's playing well now and I'd be inclined to give him a 1 year deal. 

Bazzas right boot

Hard to say in all honesty. 

If we can replace with better then I'd let go, if we can't I'd keep. 

Even guys like Haring I'd keep but only if they're value and they themselves are happy being a squad player. 

We will want another 3 or 4 upgrades this year, no one is untouchable!

jamboinglasgow
11 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

No one priority got to be Gordon in my opinion 

I remember when he signed his contract was 2 years with an option of another year. So dont think he will be a problem.

I make it as the following players out of contract

Jamie Brandon 
Jay Charleston-King 
Arron Darge 
Aidan Denholm
Sean Docherty 
Armand Gnanduillet 
Craig Gordon (with 1 year option) 
Andy Halliday 
Chris Hamilton 
Peter Haring 
Craig Halkett  
Euan Henderson 
Stephen Kingsley 
Scott McGill 
Mihai Popescu 
Jordan Roberts 
Ryan Schiavone 
Connor Smith 
Michael Smith 
John Souttar 
Harris Spratt 
Leon Watson 
Jamie Walker

Certainly would take Gordon, Kingsley, Halkett, Souttar definitely on new contracts. Though with Souttar I would be happy for him to sign a new contract then get sold in the Summer. Possibly Haring and Smith (cant decide quite on him.) Would look to get Scott McGill on a new contract, Leon Watson, Connor Smith (depending how he does at Queens Park, scored his first goal for them last week.) 

Edited by jamboinglasgow

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I remember when he signed his contract was 2 years with an option of another year. So dont think he will be a problem.

Jamie Brandon 
Jay Charleston-King 
Arron Darge 
Aidan Denholm
Sean Docherty 
Armand Gnanduillet 
Andy Halliday 
Chris Hamilton 
Peter Haring 
Craig Halkett  
Euan Henderson 
Stephen Kingsley 
Scott McGill 
Mihai Popescu 
Jordan Roberts 
Ryan Schiavone 
Connor Smith 
Michael Smith 
John Souttar 
Harris Spratt 
Leon Watson 
Jamie Walker

Certainly would take Gordon, Kingsley, Halkett, Souttar definitely on new contracts. Possibly Haring and Smith (cant decide quite on him.) Would look to get Scott McGill on a new contract, Leon Watson, Connor Smith (depending how he does at Queens Park, scored his first goal for them last week.) 

Thanks for this. I really want to see more of Connor Smith but i just want all the youngsters to succeed. 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, The Tackle said:

Thanks for this. I really want to see more of Connor Smith but i just want all the youngsters to succeed. 

Yeah I am the same. I think realistically the vast majority on that list wont make at Hearts, and we need to ensure that we are doing everything possible to get it so youngster can get into the first team. Savage's comments about them wanting a reserve league as they think that is better then sending them out on loan, as it means players play but can be brought into the first team as well, is interesting but I would want to know what is the club doing about it to provide a reserve league.

19 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

No one priority got to be Gordon in my opinion 

This.  More of a priority than Souttar imo.

Bare minimum (in priority order)

- Gordon (2 year extension)

- Souttar (2 year extension)

- Kingsley (2 year extension)

- Boyce (2 year extension)

- Haring (1 year extension)

- Loan Extensions/permanent deals for Cochrane and Moore (don’t think we’ll come anywhere close on wages with Woodburn).

Money should be there to make this happen after the savings we’ve made from dumping all the duds (and I’m assuming Naisy took a cut).

Edited by gashauskis9

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Jamie Brandon 
Jay Charleston-King 
Arron Darge 
Aidan Denholm
Sean Docherty 
Armand Gnanduillet 
Andy Halliday 
Chris Hamilton 
Peter Haring 
Craig Halkett  
Euan Henderson 
Stephen Kingsley 
Scott McGill 
Mihai Popescu 
Jordan Roberts 
Ryan Schiavone 
Connor Smith 
Michael Smith 
John Souttar 
Harris Spratt 
Leon Watson 
Jamie Walker

There's a lot of young players in that list that should be given a chance to prove why they're here, but if they don't handle the step up, we should just be moving them on.  If they're not going to be able to step up into the first team, or have the drive to prove that they deserve a chance, there is little point in them being here.

Names that step out for punting would be Jamie Brandon, Mihai Popescu, Jordan Roberts, and possibly Andy Halliday, Euan Henderson, and Jamie Walker (unfortunately for Brandon and Henderson, they are capable footballers who I quite like, I just don't think at the level we want to be at).

7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Jamie Brandon 
Jay Charleston-King 
Arron Darge 
Aidan Denholm
Sean Docherty 
Armand Gnanduillet 
Andy Halliday 
Chris Hamilton 
Peter Haring 
Craig Halkett  
Euan Henderson 
Stephen Kingsley 
Scott McGill 
Mihai Popescu 
Jordan Roberts 
Ryan Schiavone 
Connor Smith 
Michael Smith 
John Souttar 
Harris Spratt 
Leon Watson 
Jamie Walker

Certainly would take Gordon, Kingsley, Halkett, Souttar definitely on new contracts. Though with Souttar I would be happy for him to sign a new contract then get sold in the Summer. Possibly Haring and Smith (cant decide quite on him.) Would look to get Scott McGill on a new contract, Leon Watson, Connor Smith (depending how he does at Queens Park, scored his first goal for them last week.) 

From that list I’d be looking to keep maybe 5-6 of the first team players plus any youth player with perceived potential still in them

Gordon

Halkett

Haring

Kingsley

Souttar

Jamie Brandon 
Jay Charleston-King 
Arron Darge 
Aidan Denholm
Sean Docherty 
Armand Gnanduillet 
Andy Halliday 
Chris Hamilton 
Peter Haring 
Craig Halkett  
Euan Henderson 
Stephen Kingsley 
Scott McGill 
Mihai Popescu 
Jordan Roberts 
Ryan Schiavone 
Connor Smith 
Michael Smith 
John Souttar 
Harris Spratt 
Leon Watson 
Jamie Walker

The ones highlighted and underlined are the priorty for me. The rest I could take or leave, although don't really know enough of the youth players to make an informed decision either way.

26 minutes ago, tian447 said:

There's a lot of young players in that list that should be given a chance to prove why they're here, but if they don't handle the step up, we should just be moving them on.  If they're not going to be able to step up into the first team, or have the drive to prove that they deserve a chance, there is little point in them being here.

Names that step out for punting would be Jamie Brandon, Mihai Popescu, Jordan Roberts, and possibly Andy Halliday, Euan Henderson, and Jamie Walker (unfortunately for Brandon and Henderson, they are capable footballers who I quite like, I just don't think at the level we want to be at).

The fact we are targeting a striker, yet allowed Henderson to go out on loan, says it all for me.

54 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

20 odd new contracts required for next year (i was going to post a list but I'm lazy) 

Who would you keep and who would you let go. Halkett in the news recently talking about how he's enjoyed his time here. He's playing well now and I'd be inclined to give him a 1 year deal. 

I wonder if the club know this.

1 minute ago, The Tackle said:

I wonder if this is a discussion forum

I wonder how many more threads are on this subject

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I wonder how many more threads are on this subject

I wonder why you're reading it if you're bored with the topic

12 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

I wonder why you're reading it if you're bored with the topic

So I can criticise the OP for being mundane.

Michael Smith also has a 1 year option on his contract. 

If he plays a certain amount of games this season (I think it was 30) then he would automatically sign for another year. 

Just now, John Findlay said:

So I can criticise the OP for being mundane.

Thanks for the criticism, I'll completely ignore it and move on. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Does anyone if any if the young guys listed above are exciting or have potential to feature in the first team in the future? Some of those names I barely recognise.

4 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Does anyone if any if the young guys listed above are exciting or have potential to feature in the first team in the future? Some of those names I barely recognise.

Scott McGill, Connor Smith and Leon Watson are 3 that will most likely get new deals and a chance to prove they have what it takes to make it at Hearts. Aidan Denholm is another who has been in the 1st team squad towards the end of last season and was on the bench a couple of times in the league cup at the start of the season.

Yeah bloody typical!!!

Win the bloody league then almost our entire team leaves for heehaw at the end of the season!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/heart-of-midlothian-fc/kader/verein/43/saison_id/2021/plus/1

I'd say keep: 

Gordon, Kingsley, Haring, Souttar, Halkett and maybe Smith if the terms suit the club.

I don't see the point in breaking the bank to keep Halliday or Gnando tbh. Halliday is neither the best CM or LB so I'm a bit meh. I do like him though, but if he has better options let him go. 

I'd love to get Moore and Cochrane on permanent deals, doubtful we'd get Woodburn though, but always worth asking the question. First choice here for another year or two would do wonders for him. 

Would like to get Boyce on an extension too, since his contract is up 2023, Beni & Devlin signing a 1 year extension would be great business too as keeps time on their contracts when we do eventually sell. 

I Imagine much of the 20 players are youngsters?

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Brandon worth one more season to see how he does I would say 

He will be released. Not good enough.

3 hours ago, Darren said:

Souttar's the priority, he's the only one likely to make us any money.

Gordon isn't going anywhere.

For me it's more about building a strong team. 

We won't get that much for sick note

anyway. 

Teams won't spend millions on a guy that's out injured more often than not. 

My priority would be finding a replacement for Soutar whether he stays or not. 

Gordon for sure.

Souttar partly for his value to the team and partly for his potential sell-on value 

I like Smith, Kingsley and Halkett, but based on this year's signings we can probably do better. No objections if they are good VFM though.

The rest of the first-teamers on that list can do one. 

Don't know enough about the youngsters to comment on them.

Gordon and Souttar obviously.  Smith also will soon get a year extension automatically based on games played this season.  Kingsley definitely.  Halkett is playing well in a 3 so I would probably extend it, but I'd look to get better.

Haring is a strange one as he was a first pick for most people until recently (and certainly before his injury).  But we've just signed two midfielders that make him look relatively average.  I'd probably ask Savage for another miracle midfielder instead.

7 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Jamie Brandon 
Jay Charleston-King 
Arron Darge 
Aidan Denholm
Sean Docherty 
Armand Gnanduillet 
Andy Halliday 
Chris Hamilton 
Peter Haring 
Craig Halkett  
Euan Henderson 
Stephen Kingsley 
Scott McGill 
Mihai Popescu 
Jordan Roberts 
Ryan Schiavone 
Connor Smith 
Michael Smith 
John Souttar 
Harris Spratt 
Leon Watson 
Jamie Walker

Gordon 

Smith 

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley 

All a priority 

Haring

Halliday 

Connor Smith 

Squad players happy to give contracts if they are happy to be a squad player

The rest, not arsed release the lot including Walker free up wages to bring in another couple decent players .

8 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Jamie Brandon 
Jay Charleston-King 
Arron Darge 
Aidan Denholm
Sean Docherty 
Armand Gnanduillet 
Andy Halliday 
Chris Hamilton 
Peter Haring 
Craig Halkett  
Euan Henderson 
Stephen Kingsley 
Scott McGill 
Mihai Popescu 
Jordan Roberts 
Ryan Schiavone 
Connor Smith 
Michael Smith 
John Souttar 
Harris Spratt 
Leon Watson 
Jamie Walker

The ones highlighted and underlined are the priorty for me. The rest I could take or leave, although don't really know enough of the youth players to make an informed decision either way.

Id agree but both Halkett and Smith might be let go if we have identified better or they might renew despite the knowledge that they might not be first picks

If we can improve on Halkett, Smith, Haring etc.. Great we still need 22-23 players. We can't have 22 starting XI quality players, firstly, we couldn't afford that and secondly, you need keep everyone happy, the likes of Haring, Smith, Halliday etc.. might be content as 2nd choices knowing they won't be guaranteed a start and will do a job when called upon. 

2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Gordon 

Smith 

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley 

All a priority 

Haring

Halliday 

Connor Smith 

Squad players happy to give contracts if they are happy to be a squad player

The rest, not arsed release the lot including Walker free up wages to bring in another couple decent players .

Agree with that 👌💯

AlphonseCapone
8 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Jamie Brandon 
Jay Charleston-King 
Arron Darge 
Aidan Denholm
Sean Docherty 
Armand Gnanduillet 
Andy Halliday 
Chris Hamilton 
Peter Haring 
Craig Halkett  
Euan Henderson 
Stephen Kingsley 
Scott McGill 
Mihai Popescu 
Jordan Roberts 
Ryan Schiavone 
Connor Smith 
Michael Smith 
John Souttar 
Harris Spratt 
Leon Watson 
Jamie Walker

I agree with this but I'd like to be in a place where Halkett and Smith are cover, not starters. Actually, editing this to say depends on how Smith feels for next year, I'm not against him starting still if he's up to it fitness wise. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Gordon obviously 

Kingsley, Halkett, Smith, Souttar and haring a must

would maybe give Halliday a year decent squad player who can play multiple positions

rest not too bothered about hopefully a few youngsters can earn extensions.

Stability is key, once you have a team that is good, keep them and build a squad. Halkett may not be the long term solution but would be stupid to let him walk on a free. Give him another 2 years, at worst he will be a very able backup.

I think Robbie will have learned from his last time at Hearts, felt like he was constantly looking to change things despite being successful  Ozturk captain one minute, next not good enough to get on the bench. Neil Alexander, still very able goalie but let's ship him out with no confirmed incoming.

PhoenixHearts

Gordon, Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley and Haring. I'd give them all 2 years.

Quite scary that our entire starting defense is out of contract at the end of the season.

Gordon goes without saying.

Souttar is obviously the priority of the back 3, then Kingsley.

Halkett has been pretty good this season and I'd take him back but he feels the most replaceable of those.

As for Haring even if he looks to be taking on more of a squad role, he's still a very dependable option to have. Also loves the club and Edinburgh.

If Armand starts getting a run in the team and looks to be as good as I think ge can be, I'd look at giving him another year. 

It's great to be in a position of trusting the new regime at Hearts from the Board down.  I'm sure they'll handle it well.

7 hours ago, Ribble said:

Id agree but both Halkett and Smith might be let go if we have identified better or they might renew despite the knowledge that they might not be first picks

6 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I agree with this but I'd like to be in a place where Halkett and Smith are cover, not starters. Actually, editing this to say depends on how Smith feels for next year, I'm not against him starting still if he's up to it fitness wise. 

Smith for me is still a class act. I understand reservations about fitness due to his age, but he's always struck me as super professional and someone who keeps himself in good shape.

Still don't think we've seen the best of Halkett, but depending how well he does this season, another 2 year deal wouldn't kill us.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
8 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

It will be interesting to see which ones reject any offer we give them   😲     

I would wager Souttar and Haring.

Not to fussy about Haring. But will be useful till end of season. Think we will go for Dundee United midfielder as replacement. Gordon, Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley and Smith are must try keep. 

13 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Not to fussy about Haring. But will be useful till end of season. Think we will go for Dundee United midfielder as replacement. Gordon, Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley and Smith are must try keep. 

Fuchs ?

Pretty confident Gordon will sign. Robbie mentions a clause which I assume will be the option of another year? We have a 1y option on Smith too, which I would take. 

Souttar is my concern. Losing him for nothing would be devastating. 

bringonthesevco

Our entire 1st choice defence is out of contract !!

gordon

smith

souttar

halkett

kingsley

cochrane (loan expires)

plus Moore (loan expires)

However for the first time in a long time thanks primarily to Joe, I have high confidence …