Very good Baningime article on BBC

Mid Calder Jambo

On 14/10/2021 at 13:08, upgotheheads said:

Having played at Tynecastle with its atmosphere I don't think he will be fazed by Ibrox, in fact it might inspire him to be even better. What a great opportunity to let big teams in England se what he can do; two years with us then a mega-bucks move to the EPL.

Places like Ibrox will bring out the best in the likes of Beni and Devlin imo.

They have the correct mentality not to be fazed by these occasions.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colinmaroon

• niblick1874

• The Tackle

• Nookie Bear

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Darren said:

I was a news sub-editor for 13 years.

There are zings and there are zings. This is an M&S Zing with Devonshire clotted cream, dripping with a delicious raspberry coulet and served on a bed of creamy Naw, **** you

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

No need and no surprise at your "pish."

Go tell him to his face!  

Do you think there is a 'need' to cite god in his interview though?

However, as I have said, people are very entitled to have their beliefs.  This also includes those that believe it is all giant fraudulent scam.

24 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

However, as I have said, people are very entitled to have their beliefs.  This also includes those that believe it is all giant fraudulent scam.

For him yes, as he PERSONALLY has a strong belief and faith in God. God matters alot to him.

56 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

According to your reasoning, you're not entitled to say that.

2 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

According to your reasoning, you're not entitled to say that.

It is always re-actionary.

A_A wehatethehibs
59 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Beni was asked a question, he gave an honest answer. For some reason, someone mentioning their religious faith and significance of it in their life, seems to trigger certain insecure individuals to feel a need to attack and slag off all religious people, and be deliberately obnoxious and disrespectful like a 14 year old who’s watched a few Richard Dawkins clips on YouTube.

Thankfully as we can all see, the majority of grown up atheists and agnostics in this thread, generally respect the principle of not attacking religious faith and seeking to be a pound shop David Hume every time someone mentions their religious faith. It’s just tiresome and pointless. A fruitless debate and black hole of a conversation, the conclusion of which is, despite all arguments against it, and a changing world, religious faith persists, strongly.

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I think you will find young Darren works in the newspaper industry. If it is as a journalist I have no Idea. I suspect he may work at the Scotsman. Then I maybe be totally wrong there.

Did a few freelance shifts for them many moons ago. No longer in journalism.

3 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The idea that someone who works, or has worked, at the Scotsman could criticise anyone else's journalistic qualities is quite frankly mind-boggling!

But that's where the great Tom English worked for many years.

Tbh, I didn't think criticising his work would be all that contentious. But then this forum is weird.

What a truly fantastic player & person.......May he enjoy his stay at the Heart of Midlothian and long may it continue.....If he get a good move one day then he will have earned it thats for sure.

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

It is always re-actionary.

So, if someone says something mocking Jesus on here, you accept I am fully entitled to respond in an objectionable, personally insulting way?

24 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

So, if someone says something mocking Jesus on here, you accept I am fully entitled to respond in an objectionable, personally insulting way?

Or better still turn the other cheek (Mathew 5:38).

Surprised you've not come across that.

Ahh, I really do love JKB but conversations about religion on here really are the absolute worst.

Anyway, lovely article from the beeb. Not even one question about whether he’d like to join Rangers…

10 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Ahh, I really do love JKB but conversations about religion on here really are the absolute worst.

Anyway, lovely article from the beeb. Not even one question about whether he’d like to join Rangers…

Agreed. It’s shit. 

4 hours ago, Beni said:

Or better still turn the other cheek (Mathew 5:38).

Surprised you've not come across that.

Context is everything smarty pants.

It's not my cheek the trog is slapping!

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Simples!

Don't start it!

Hackney Hearts
7 hours ago, Darren said:

But that's where the great Tom English worked for many years.

Tbh, I didn't think criticising his work would be all that contentious. But then this forum is weird.

Don't think you've been paying attention. Tom English regularly gets a lot of praise on here - one of the very few journalists who do.

It wasn't always the way - back in 2009 he was the devil incarnate on JKB for launching a scathing attack on the "Shaun of the Dead crazies" that populate Tynecastle in an article about Hearts' atrocious discipline on and off the pitch (perhaps with some justification :wink:).

But he's redeemed himself since then by proving time and time again that he's not afraid to call out the Old Firm (particularly on sectarianism) and the Scottish football authorities. He usually calls it right.

On 14/10/2021 at 21:10, A_A wehatethehibs said:

5 years of residency required @ri Alban

think Scotland and England effectively treated as separate states 

But I was thinking Congo tbf. From the article it seemed he still feels a close connection there despite leaving at age 8 

Just thinking about John Barnes . He said he only played for England, because they asked first. He'd have played for Scotland, no problem.

Edited by ri Alban

13 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Of course. That guy mocking will probably be me. I don't like your Jesus but I like debate.

53 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Of course. That guy mocking will probably be me. I don't like your Jesus but I like debate.

Disliking Jesus, either as a real figure or a fictional character, is a bit harsh 😁

Disliking how his teaching has been interpreted is another thing altogether!

Mid Calder Jambo

I don't start many threads, but a good news story about a Hearts player who is loving being here and wants to do the best for the club, what could wrong. In the week we have our biggest game since the cup final against Celtic the thread turns into religion slag fest. I am glad I do Twitter mostly these days at least you get adult conversation. This Forum is ****ed if it can turn good news amongst Hearts supporters into a palce where they are going for each others throats. Grow up guys we were here to discuss Beni, football and Hearts not Jesus.

8 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

I don't start many threads, but a good news story about a Hearts player who is loving being here and wants to do the best for the club, what could wrong. In the week we have our biggest game since the cup final against Celtic the thread turns into religion slag fest. I am glad I do Twitter mostly these days at least you get adult conversation. This Forum is ****ed if it can turn good news amongst Hearts supporters into a palce where they are going for each others throats. Grow up guys we were here to discuss Beni, football and Hearts not Jesus.

Oh come on, Twitter? The home of online racial abuse? 

It’s a million% worse on there. 

25 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

And this Forum is abuse free?

Not abusive enough at times 😁

But Twitter…whole new level. 

On 14/10/2021 at 17:15, maroonlegions said:

And what "aspects of his job",  that he does adequately  are you talking about.??

The WHOLE of that articule WAS a shinning light of journalism , a light that some want to  snub out or play down.

Tom English is a better journalist than half of the one's we normally have to put up with. 

6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

"Debate" is an oxymoron where you are concerned.