Very good Baningime article on BBC

Mid Calder Jambo

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Reading between the lines of the article.

I would say that money is not the number one priority for the young man.

That's handy!! Loving the fact that he's here, a total pleasure to watch.

Edited by Japan Jambo

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colinmaroon

• niblick1874

• The Tackle

• Nookie Bear

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

That is no surprise,  I'm not a looker and I don't have a womb 

It'd also be against his religion, I assume.  :)

A great interview and Beni comes cross very well.  :icon14:

A_A wehatethehibs

Only those with deep insecurities about their own beliefs, would have a problem with someone who has a strong religious faith. 

The strongest atheists I know, once they grew up and became adults, never take any issue with someone having religious faith, because they are certain in their own lack of faith and have no insecurity about it. You believe what you want and you leave other people’s beliefs to them. There’s no real conflict there and no need for disrespect. You just have different beliefs from that person. Beni was asked a question and he answered it. You don’t have to start an “existence of god” debate just because someone said faith & prayers got them through some tough times. He’s been sat there, praying for a good club and manager to come in and give him his chance. Now look at him. 

Aside from that, religions teach a lot of lessons which are an advantage for a modern day sportsperson. Clean living, discipline, meditation, respect, gratitude. These are all things which modern day health & wellness gurus are promoting, completely separate to religion. But they’re all there in the bible. 

Tyson Fury as well the other day. First answer he gave after smashing wilder, “I give God the glory, he gives me the victory”. Or what about Mo Salah, does his prayers after half his goals. Should be world player of the year for me. It’s very common among top sportspeople and I think increasingly so because of the clean living thing. 

4 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

Beni want's to cause wars and fly planes into buildings. Get rid of I say. 

Did i say that?

22 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Drinking and shagging is real and for the most part doesn’t cause wars or people to fly planes into buildings. 

Come on mate.

I'm as big an atheist as anyone but I respect peoples right to have faith in what they want to.

Religion is a crock of shit but it brings comfort to many people.  Blind comfort yes, but comfort none the less.  Not every believer is a fanatic and many still harbour doubts.

Great article

People ignore that an estimated 80%+ of the planet has a faith of some sort. A absolutely tiny fraction of that start wars or whatever other things folk blame religion for. The vast majority just use faith to have hope, morals and live out a normal life. I’m not here to champion faith - it’s just a solid fact.

Here’s a guy with a passion for faith just getting on with life… nothing unsettling about it whatsoever. Fair play to him if it’s important to him.

Anyone loving him and making a derogatory comment about faith.. why not just make a nice comment about him?! I just don’t get it.

Moving on, we’re lucky to have him. What an asset.

15 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Did i say that?

No you didn't but you tarred all people of faith as being fanatics.

Just now, Heartsofgold said:

No you didn't but you tarred all people of faith as being fanatics.

Fanatics no, deluded yes

8 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Did i say that?

You were commentating on Beni being religious by saying Religion results in wars and planes flying into buildings. 

If you apologize, which you should, don't expect me to apologizing to you for pulling you up for what you are. 

22 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Only those with deep insecurities about their own beliefs, would have a problem with someone who has a strong religious faith. 

The strongest atheists I know, once they grew up and became adults, never take any issue with someone having religious faith, because they are certain in their own lack of faith and have no insecurity about it. You believe what you want and you leave other people’s beliefs to them. There’s no real conflict there and no need for disrespect. You just have different beliefs from that person. Beni was asked a question and he answered it. You don’t have to start an “existence of god” debate just because someone said faith & prayers got them through some tough times. He’s been sat there, praying for a good club and manager to come in and give him his chance. Now look at him. 

Aside from that, religions teach a lot of lessons which are an advantage for a modern day sportsperson. Clean living, discipline, meditation, respect, gratitude. These are all things which modern day health & wellness gurus are promoting, completely separate to religion. But they’re all there in the bible. 

Tyson Fury as well the other day. First answer he gave after smashing wilder, “I give God the glory, he gives me the victory”. Or what about Mo Salah, does his prayers after half his goals. Should be world player of the year for me. It’s very common among top sportspeople and I think increasingly so because of the clean living thing. 

Superb post and I could not have articulated my own thoughts and beliefs any better than these word.  Live and let live is my motto.

2 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

You were commentating on Beni being religious by saying Religion results in wars and planes flying into buildings. 

If you apologize, which you should, don't expect me to apologizing to you for pulling you up for what you are. 

Why should i apologise? 

35 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Drinking and shagging is real and for the most part doesn’t cause wars or people to fly planes into buildings. 

Just swathes of British inner cities to be violent no go areas at the weekend for many people. Great.

2 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Why should i apologise? 

For insinuating that all people of faith at murderers, warmongers and terrorists?

26 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Tyson Fury as well the other day. First answer he gave after smashing wilder, “I give God the glory, he gives me the victory”. 

Makes a change from him using it to justify his homophobia and misogyny.

Horatio Caine

Fantastic.  JKB at its best.  We get a great, positive article about one of our players, and it turns into a religion slagfest.  Can we maybe just enjoy the player we have?

Edited by Horatio Caine

Mid Calder Jambo
19 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm still trying to get my head round the concept of a successful transfer window

Not had one of them for a while. If Beni is a product of that and it it benefits him and Hearts then I have no problem and can say I am really pleased for the new regime at the club.

Mid Calder Jambo
Just now, Horatio Caine said:

Fantastic.  JKB at its best.  We get a great, positive article about one of our players, and it turns into a religion slagfest.  Can we maybe just enjoy the player we have?

👍👍

1 hour ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

Tom English really is a shining light as far as the Beeb are concerned, isn't he? Actual, proper, real journalism. Enjoyed that. 

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The second part of this is just how good is Tom English?  he has got to be the only journalist in years, not out to create controversy just for the sake of it.  He has listened to the person.  No hidden agenda, He is not trying to sell him to the OF.  Just enjoying what he brings to our game now.   Credit to Tom and I hope Beni is a hero in the making.

Moving on from religion, can we tackle the important issue of overstated praise for Tom English?

He can put together some quotes from a footballer but he's still a mediocre broadcaster and an awful features writer these days.

Beni comes across very well.

2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

For insinuating that all people of faith at murderers, warmongers and terrorists?

I didn't insinuate that though did i? It's just scary that even a minute percentage of people with faith can interpret the nonsensical ramblings of the bible or the Quran and carry out these atrocities based on these beliefs. For me that is enough to distance myself from all religions. 

3 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

I didn't insinuate that though did i? It's just scary that even a minute percentage of people with faith can interpret the nonsensical ramblings of the bible or the Quran and carry out these atrocities based on these beliefs. For me that is enough to distance myself from all religions. 

That's the way your original post read mate.  For what it's worth I happen to agree with you that religion is the major cause of wars and strife but the most people of faith do not cause it.  It's religious fanatics that take things to the nth degree of their interpretation of their faith that are the problem.

Most people of faith just want to live their lives and believe and worship how they want to.  

What I'm saying is your post was not wrong but a bit disingenuous.

Great article , I could not give a flying one what Beni's beliefs are, that's his business. He sounds like a great guy and we are lucky to have such a talented player. HHGH!!

I think I'm right in saying the Everton support in general also rated him highly and were slightly aghast he was coming here.(cheeky gits)

I love the way he can sell the opposition midfield .

Still think we will see more of him in a more forward sense.

43 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm still trying to get my head round the concept of a successful transfer window

So far so good team spirit and balance looks about right.

Nowt like winning for confidence.

Hackney Hearts
11 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

It's religious fanatics that take things to the nth degree of their interpretation of their faith that are the problem.

Most people of faith just want to live their lives and believe and worship how they want to.  

A small number of football fans want to go out and fight. The majority just want to support their team and enjoy the football.

I believe in the almighty Beni. 

If we get a win on Saturday, I may believe there's a God.

13 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Didn't realise JKB was so full of folk that could think for themselves, this will be my last post on the subject

16 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Didn't realise JKB was so full of god fearing folk, this will be my last post on the subject

The bells of hell are ringing for you.

😂

It's funny in a way Hearts supporters slagging folk of for blind loyalty and faith.

Given our experiences over the years .

👌😛

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway...Beni is The Man and i cannot wait to see how he does this weekend.

It is ridiculous that nobody was interested in him before when you consider some of the dross that gets raved about these days.

I had not even heard of him until he signed for us.  I pay absolutely **** all attention to the English Premier League.

Just now, i8hibsh said:

I had not even heard of him until he signed for us.  I pay absolutely **** all attention to the English Premier League.

He barely featured for their first team and we have had enough rubbish come from EPL reserves in our lifetimes to be  sceptical about Beni before he arrived.

I love watching Beni play and I hope he stays at Hearts for a long time. The assumption is he will move on when an English club comes in for him but it would be great if we can keep him and Devlin for a few years.

As a Christian, it is also refreshing hearing him talk so openly about his faith in God and how he enjoys reading the Bible and living life with a smile on his face.

Religion is so often dismissed and derided in our culture but it would be great if on Kickback folks would remember that there are lots of Christians among the Hearts support as well as atheists, agnostics and people of other faiths.

Respect for other people's beliefs is a pretty basic starting point and some of the comments on this thread are pretty offensive to be honest.

What is interesting about Beni's faith is that influences both the way he plays and the way he lives his life. If you find that attractive in Beni, maybe ask yourself why a genuine Christian faith and lifestyle is something to dismiss out of hand.

1 hour ago, Ked said:

Good read and I cant wait to show my mum the stuff about God.

Whether you agree or not I've a respect for people with spirituality.

Be nice if some on here showed a bit of respect for his beliefs as well.

Exactly.   I'm atheist but have great respect for religious people who are open with their beliefs, as long as - like with any other belief - they're happy to live by it and not impose it.

All the "God?  Facepalm" stuff on here is juvenile.  The lad has found a way of life that makes him happy.  Amazing.  Lot's of guys his age struggle.  Know I did.

Anyway, won't debate it, slippy slope that one and prob for the shed!

His job is to be guid at football and try his hardest for Hearts.  Our job is to love him for it.  If he gets that through God or by a strict diet of S&M, dark arts and sugarpuffs, I don't give a shit!

Ford Prentice
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Tyson Fury as well the other day. First answer he gave after smashing wilder, “I give God the glory, he gives me the victory”.

Am I alone in finding this absurd, or was intended to be ironic? Tyson Fury as a role model - beggars belief.

Personally I find "faith" and "beliefs" worrying but as others have said that's probably best left to the shed.

As for Beni but he seems like a lovely guy and he is a terrific player. Amen.

7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Same same.

It's been a mixed bag, mostly of pish for us, that market, when you think of who we've had.  Even a couple of good talents just didn't work out like Mitchell and I'd include Ryo (kind of).

But this shows you can pick up guys if your scouting is bang on.  Must be more like Beni - the Prem academies spit out so much and the loan system is a tough gig down there.

Very very impressed by Joe Savage.

A_A wehatethehibs

1 minute ago, Ford Prentice said:

Am I alone in finding this absurd, or was intended to be ironic? Tyson Fury as a role model - beggars belief.

Personally I find "faith" and "beliefs" worrying but as others have said that's probably best left to the shed.

As for Beni but he seems like a lovely guy and he is a terrific player. Amen.

Boxings not for everybody I suppose but if you look into what’s happened with tysons comeback from drink and depression it is quite a story particularly if you know anyone who suffers with depression. He was 30 stone drinking daily at one stage. As a boxer, there’s none better at the minute. None. He is #1 - the man, and credits Jesus for putting him there. So it was more just an example of a current sportsperson at the top of their game and how the clean living thing has been a big factor. There’s innumerable other examples of top sportspeople with strong faith he was just the one off the top of my head from earlier this week 

Just had a wee look at some Everton fans forums where he is talked about.

We are all apparently creaming our pants 😂

Also some who felt he wasnt given a chance and some who think he will find his way back to the EPL.

Funny reading the wee spats between posters as well.😂

On the games he did play he stood out for many.

And many were annoyed at others getting game time before him.

Ford Prentice
9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Boxings not for everybody I suppose but if you look into what’s happened with tysons comeback from drink and depression it is quite a story particularly if you know anyone who suffers with depression. He was 30 stone drinking daily at one stage. As a boxer, there’s none better at the minute. None. He is #1 - the man, and credits Jesus for putting him there. So it was more just an example of a current sportsperson at the top of their game and how the clean living thing has been a big factor. There’s innumerable other examples of top sportspeople with strong faith he was just the one off the top of my head from earlier this week 

Fair enough - I accept your general point about sportspeople and the value of faith to many of them.

However for me Tyson Fury is a homophobic misogynist who makes a living out of violence towards his fellow man - not a good advert for the faith he claims to have which is why I honestly wondered if you were being ironic.

Beni's interpretation of his faith on the other hand seems wholly admirable, it's the person not the beliefs I think that are important.

Anyway, not wanting to pick a fight. All the best. Roll on Saturday.

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, Ked said:

Good read and I cant wait to show my mum the stuff about God.

Whether you agree or not I've a respect for people with spirituality.

Be nice if some on here showed a bit of respect for his beliefs as well.

Well said!

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

It's very "not Hearts". 😄

52 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

Beni's interpretation of his faith on the other hand seems wholly admirable, it's the person not the beliefs I think that are important.

I get where you are coming from, however, it is both that count.

maroonlegions

The boy just reeks of class. 

If he keeps his form up then he will be very hard to keep.

One thing is for sure he has a "football" brain.

Hope he smashes in his first goal on Saturday at castle grey skull and  it proves to be the winner.

Beni Baningime 

Edited by maroonlegions

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Moving on from religion, can we tackle the important issue of overstated praise for Tom English?

He can put together some quotes from a footballer but he's still a mediocre broadcaster and an awful features writer these days.

Beni comes across very well.

He's also the best they have by quite some distance so no great shock that he has admirers. One of the very few that asks the odd difficult question. 

14 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

He's also the best they have by quite some distance so no great shock that he has admirers. One of the very few that asks the odd difficult question. 

Being able to do aspects of his job adequately do not make him a "shining light" of journalism. There are very few examples of that in Scotland. 

maroonlegions
1 minute ago, Darren said:

Being able to do aspects of his job adequately do not make him a "shining light" of journalism. There are very few examples of that in Scotland. 

And what "aspects of his job",  that he does adequately  are you talking about.??

The WHOLE of that articule WAS a shinning light of journalism , a light that some want to  snub out or play down.

3 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

And what "aspects of his job",  that he does adequately  are you talking about.??

The WHOLE of that articule WAS a shinning light of journalism , a light that some want to  snub out or play down.

I suspect what you enjoyed was what Beni had to say rather than how the article was crafted.

If he'd said he wanted to move on at the end of the season, would you have found that disappointing but still been effusive in praise for Tom English?

Elsewhere on this thread I've already said I think he does a reasonable enough job of interviews - this is one of his better ones - but is generally a poor broadcaster and, these days at least, not a great features writer.