Romanov Item on Football Focus ( updated )

Thumb Up Emoji

37 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Dig out the Bosnian pensioners

:glorious:

Mr Romanov, still our greatest owner

Dig up, surely?

After evil Vlad ripped them off, they'll all be 6ft under now due to their callous impoverishment.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• i8hibsh

• Thumb Up Emoji

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Dig up, surely?

After evil Vlad ripped them off, they'll all be 6ft under now due to their callous impoverishment.

Fair point, well made.

Yes, I can see the vista now. A Sarajevo graveyard, filled with bodies. Not from the horrendous civil war that inflicted this country but the actions of one man causing destitution amongst hard working souls....

Guest ToqueJambo

After a promising start and some notable high points this pretty much sums up Vlad's time for me. Oh what could have been with a saner person in charge.

simpsons-sideshow-bob.gif

WorldChampions1902

I remember reading a supposed true story of a trip Vlad made by chauffeur-driven limo to Aberdeen when he instructed the driver to stop at a remote farm house. Vlad then asked the farmer if he would allow him to slaughter one of his sheep, so he could have a BBQ. Vlad said he would do this on the return leg of his visit to Piitodrie. The farmer rightly told him to bolt. IIRC the story was covered by a footy journo in one of the football mags at the time.

Another story was one I witnessed on our Away trip in the Champions League versus Siroki Brijeg. About 10 mins before kick off, a large number of ‘Hearts fans’ flooded into the ground where the Hearts fans were seated. They were all wearing Ill-fitting white T-Shirts with Hearts slogans printed on them. It turns out that they all worked in a nearby aluminium plant owned by the Ukio group and they were instructed to attend the game to lend support and were shipped in by coach(es) paid for by Vlad. Utterly surreal. Crap game though.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

Thumb Up Emoji
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

When is it due to be shown do you think?

Hey bud, it should be on Football Focus in the coming weeks.

Forgot how mad this forum is, just wanted other fan's POV on the thing that summed up Romanov era. Jeepers.

Cheers!

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, Thumb Up Emoji said:

Hey bud, it should be on Football Focus in the coming weeks.

Forgot how mad this forum is, just wanted other fan's POV on the thing that summed up Romanov era. Jeepers.

Cheers!

You want a summation - saved our ground from disappearing, gave us some of the best players to ever wear maroon, won two trophies and got caught with his pants down by the financial crisis, the same financial crisis that ironically made our ground worth much less and allowed us to save the club, albeit via administration and the agreement that fans would pay back the woman who would thankfully fund our exit from administration.

A mad roller-coaster that I would accept every time.

7 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

There is footage of Romanov in the crowd at Livingston and just prior to kick off the wife was coming back from the toilets and kissed Romanov my mobile started ringing my mate was watching the game in Spain and said just saw your missus on the TV. I think he travelled to the game on a supporters bus and there was some footage of that as well. Not sure if it was Sky or BBC

Fairly certain the league was covered by setanta that season

Fxxx the SPFL
6 hours ago, BM1874 said:

Cheers be struggling to get footage of that 

will-i-am-a-jambo
17 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

It really is that bad.

They keep rehashing old formats and failing too - they have nothing original in the tank.

Question of Sport with a panel that ticks all boxes and the Darling Buds of me that they have created new characters just to tick a box.

No shock that they will fail to hit the mark.

I'm assuming the bit in bold is The Darling Buds of May? That's on ITV chief, not BBC. 

Naisys Tackle
14 hours ago, BM1874 said:

While it was, the story was on STV who had scotsport at the time. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Thumb Up Emoji said:

On Football Focus tomorrow. Cheers.

Interesting stuff.  Will record it/watch later on iplayer as I have a pre-match appointment in a nearby boozer.

Edited by frankblack

• davemclaren changed the title to Romanov Item on Football Focus ( updated )
Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, Toronto Jambo said:

Is there a way for us non-UK residents to watch? iPlayer doesn't work for us.

*Cough* VPN

Watched it. A little disappointed that there wasn't enough detail as to how Vlad came in and the fact that Robinson and co had us up the shiter. Either way, the reason we have the club and the ground now is because of the financial crisis and Vlad's empire going tits up, which allowed us to be poppy thieves, pensioner shafters etc. :smuggy:

15 hours ago, Thumb Up Emoji said:

On Football Focus tomorrow. Cheers.

Followed by a similar one of David Murray wheeling rangers into a crypt I presume?

Didnt think so.

As best as could be expected in 7 1/2 minutes, it gets the point over in that it was us, the fans , that saved our club.

My how I love Hearts, Club, Fans and Community ♥️♥️G♥️

I still don't get the "Vlad ran the club into the ground" view. It is simply inaccurate. Hearts had the same amount of debt £28m when his business group collapsed as when he bought the club. It was the collapse of the metals prices which brought down his bank, investment company and thus the football club. House of cards it may have been but he didn't ruin us, Pieman did. Vlad squandered a lot of money on football, but it was the same debt he inherited when he bought the club which was still the problem 7 years later.

20 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I still don't get the "Vlad ran the club into the ground" view. It is simply inaccurate. Hearts had the same amount of debt £28m when his business group collapsed as when he bought the club. It was the collapse of the metals prices which brought down his bank, investment company and thus the football club. House of cards it may have been but he didn't ruin us, Pieman did. Vlad squandered a lot of money on football, but it was the same debt he inherited when he bought the club which was still the problem 7 years later.

This.

No Vlad, no Tynecastle, no Skacel.

Good job , a good watch.

What a character Vlad was, he will be sitting in his submarine with a hot chocolate watching this with a smile on his face. He might have left us in a massive hole, but he gave us some wonderfull times and made it possible for us to become the owners of our Famous Football Club .

Long Live Vladamir Romanov

FTH

Edited by Boyces beard

It’s a good piece, brought back some great memories. Although it would’ve been clearer to mention that one of the reasons the fans didn’t have £2m to take the club out of administration was because we’d already fronted up £1.2m in a week to keep the lights on! 

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

This is the truth folks.

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Never sure about this argument. 

If I rescue you from a burning building and then dump you in the water hurtling towards Niagara Falls, is that “saving” you?

He was irresponsible because he had the power to do more than Ann has done for us, but ultimately left us panicking for the very existence of the club. 

But what a journey to get there 😂

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If I rescue you from a burning building and then dump you in the water hurtling towards Niagara Falls, is that “saving” you?

He was irresponsible because he had the power to do more than Ann has done for us, but ultimately left us panicking for the very existence of the club. 

That is the big problem that sports clubs have: The new owner seldom wants to pay for the previous owners' mistakes. Vlad's bank held our debt rather than write it off because it clearly didn't have the cash to expense it, so just held it as an "asset" in the books instead. Bank went bust suddenly the debt is called in by the liquidators...

Basically company law allows directors to do things that are not really in the best interest of the club from supporters' POV. Another example is the nepotism that Budge practiced at Hearts whereby her relatives either got jobs or contracts at Tynecastle... Do any of us regard the new stand as a triumph of a construction contract? It was a shambles akin to the Edinburgh Trams! Fortunately Ann had some rich pals to bail her out...

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Apparently Football Focus are visiting "the biggest fans' owned club in Britain" this afternoon.

Sounds good 😎

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I literally came on to post precisely this. 

People claim he ran up debt and into the ground when actually the debt was the same when he left as when he came. So the players, the fireworks, the memories were all spent using money from him/his companies (okay yes money from Gordon etc too but I'm sure pieman brought in some transfer money over the years).

If anything we were lucky that the debt was transferred and held by ukios who voted in favour of a pence in the pound offer which if the debt was hmrcs wouldn't of been the case.

He we sold tynecastle and moved I can't imagine what position and if we'd even still be here right now.

To me Romanov gave us some of the best memories and put us in the position that led us to be where we are now and fan owned.. had pieman got his way I doubt we'd be where we are or successfully fan owned. Romanovs involvement enabled the chain of events to allow that to happen

4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Followed by a similar one of David Murray wheeling rangers into a crypt I presume?

Didnt think so.

Exactly. A club with every advantage domestically and decided not paying tax was the way forward. One of the most disgraceful periods of Scottish sport. 

Pity Mark Lawrenson is on it, though. Can't stand that guy.

FF did a piece on Edinburgh football in 1999 when Hearts were bottom of the Premier and Hibs in Division 1.

"They should merge, Gary" he shrugged, as only he can, when Lineker asked him his opinion.

I should let it go, 20 odd years on, but it still irks me. 😊

Edited by martoon

1 minute ago, martoon said:

FF did a piece on Edinburgh football in 1999 when Hearts were bottom of the Premier and Hibs in Division 1.

"They should merge" he shrugged, as only he can, when Lineker asked him his opinion.

can’t stand the man. Ignorant, with the personality of cardboard.  How the hell he’s managed to be a pundit for so long is baffling. But then I remember it’s the bbc 

Special Agent Dale Cooper
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

"They should merge, Gary" he shrugged, as only he can, when Lineker asked him his opinion.

I haven't watched in years tbh. Is he really still on the go? Clinging onto the last vestiges of his mullet?

4 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Its a shame none of the grand plans regarding the stadium never came to pass. The hotel idea was genius and it sounds like we are including some sort of mini hotel on the 2nd floor now. Vlad knew eh :D Should be a license to print money over the festival once covid is under control. 

I do think we were on the same road as Rangers without the work put in by Bryan Jackson, Budge and the rest of the FOH, so ran into the ground isn't an unfair description. Although we are 2 scottish cups to the good, so hardly complaining especially with where we are now. 

48 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If Ann Budge comes past in her yacht and with the help of 8000 others puts you back safely on solid ground, I'd say yes thanks for saving us Vlad.

Contrast that with David Murray and ra people who all did a disappearing act as soon as flames appeared in the big hoose.