***Official Rangers vs Heart of Midlothian match thread ***

William H. Bonney

1 minute ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Don't think Moore deserves to be dropped,  he has been excellent the last 2 games

It's a tough decision and if anyone should drop out it's probably Souttar. As you say, Moore was excellent v Livi & Motherwell and Halkett has been solid all season. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• King prawn

• CloustonHMFC

Every click on the web just now is Rangers "swooping" in January for Soutar.  Aye, swooping like vampire bats.

They can't afford him unless they sell one of their trillions of multi-million players that nobody has put a serious bid in for yet.

Soapy you would be a standout in Italy!!!

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

My worry is that if we lose and then lose any of the last 3, a gap of sizeable proportions is more than likely to open up.

For me, that means we can't afford to lose.  We can't sit back from the start and I don't think we will.  I'll stick to my optimistic prediction that we'll be 2 up at half time then see what happens.  Either a memorable big win or nail biting.

Why should we be getting worried anout a potential gap opening up behind Rangers?  We’re not finishing above them or even Celtic,  not a chance.  Our battle is with Hibs and Aberdeen and we have a chance to open up a sizeable gap on Aberdeen. 

52 minutes ago, billybalfour said:

I was at a Shareholders meeting when James Bee(Edinburgh ref retired) spoke about this.The point he was making was that of these few meagre victories only 1,I think, was via a Weegie ref.All the rest were from somewhere on the east coast.He was pretty angry about this as it just showed up the bias.

My old man was at a dinner not too long ago and was speaking to a retired grade 1 ref, he said the ref told him he once told Walter Smith to shut the **** up and after that he didn't referee another Rangers game ever again. 

Edited by Cruyff

5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Rangers will probably win but I just want us to play well, give them a game and not see a repeat of our first half v Celtic at Darkheid. 

This is - in a nutshell - how I am feeling too.

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

As long as Robbie doesn't ‘do a Robbie’ I reckon it’ll be 1-1.

A sneaky wee 2-1 Hearts would be just what the doctor ordered though.

I don't think my doctor would order a Hearts win this weekend. Be a sair liver on Sunday morning if we do it.

Hackney Hearts
8 minutes ago, dunciboyjambo said:

Don Robertson the ref for Sat, what’s he like? 

He and Robbie have history...

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-boss-robbie-neilson-slams-19554423

Funnily enough, he also reffed our only home defeat in the 2014-15 Championship season (2-3 v Falkirk).

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

My old man was at a dinner not too long ago and was speaking to a retired grade 1 ref, he said the ref told him he once told Walter Smith to shut the **** up and after that he didn't referee another Rangers game ever again. 

To be fair the ref sounds a bit of an arsehole if that’s how he spoke to managers. Don’t think a ref would last long these days if he behaved like that.  They want respect from players and managers so they should treat them with the same respect they expect back. 

8 minutes ago, dunciboyjambo said:

Don Robertson the ref for Sat, what’s he like? 

Doesn't matter who it is when the choices would be. 

Bobby Madden 

Steven MacLean 

John Beaton 

Dallas Jr 

Nick Walsh 

Don Robertson

Wullie Collum

38 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

But.... What if rangers go for the kill and attack as well! 

🤷‍♂️

Thats what they do anyway.

40 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's a tough decision and if anyone should drop out it's probably Souttar. As you say, Moore was excellent v Livi & Motherwell and Halkett has been solid all season. 

I kind of agree that Moore should stay in, I actually didn't think Souttar had a good game against hibs this season, but maybe because he had a niggle at that time? Erm tough choice but for me Moore should stay In the team.

25 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Doesn't matter who it is when the choices would be. 

Bobby Madden 

Steven MacLean 

John Beaton 

Dallas Jr 

Nick Walsh 

Don Robertson

Wullie Collum

And your choice would be  ?

51 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Why should we be getting worried anout a potential gap opening up behind Rangers?  We’re not finishing above them or even Celtic,  not a chance.  Our battle is with Hibs and Aberdeen and we have a chance to open up a sizeable gap on Aberdeen. 

Fair enough but I'm an optimist.  So is Savage.

13 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I kind of agree that Moore should stay in, I actually didn't think Souttar had a good game against hibs this season, but maybe because he had a niggle at that time? Erm tough choice but for me Moore should stay In the team.

I agree, Souttar on the bench.

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I agree, Souttar on the bench.

Wouldn't surprise me if we play souttar, Halkett and Moore and put young Cochrane on the bench with Kingsley playing left wing back 

Jean Louis Valois
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

2-2

Woodburn and Halkett with a last minute equaliser

I'm convinced Woodburn will score for us this Saturday, he's due a goal.

BRAVEHEART1874

Hope Soutar, smith, halkett if they are starting all stay fit and dont need subbed later on. As we will have good options on the bench that can make a difference if we are still in the game after 70 mins and choosing 3 subs if needed from the likes of Nando, Ginelli, GMS, haring, walker ;) When was the last time we had a strong bench 2006?

3 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Neilson being the last one to win there puts the 'doing a Neilson' to bed. Unless that means winning of course.

That said I think we will be beaten on Saturday and we will give the ball away too cheaply.

I just realised Neilson has only ever managed us twice at Ibrox. A 2-1 win when it mattered and a 2-1 loss when it didn't (because we'd already won the league by the time the game was rescheduled).

Overall Neilson's record against Rangers in his first spell was 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss - the 60% win percentage is actually marginally better than his overall win percentage of 58.49% in his first spell.

31 minutes ago, number-16 said:

I just realised Neilson has only ever managed us twice at Ibrox. A 2-1 win when it mattered and a 2-1 loss when it didn't (because we'd already won the league by the time the game was rescheduled).

Overall Neilson's record against Rangers in his first spell was 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss - the 60% win percentage is actually marginally better than his overall win percentage of 58.49% in his first spell.

The defeat being a rescheduled match from when it got called off after half an hour due to snow. We were battering them from what I recall and Ozturk rattled the bar and it was 0-0.

Are the Old Squirm anything to be afraid of this season? Nope. Negatives are them banning away fans, journos they don't like so that it's just you, them, and 50,000 underevolved throwbacks who wouldn't know a bar of soap if it hit them on the base of the spine at the speed of sound. But silence that overly-entitled crowd and it works in your favour.

Robbie likes a game against the Rangers. Under his tenure, we have a good record against them.

Couple that with how we have started this season, I don’t see any reason why we can’t leave Ibrox with a respectable 3-0 defeat…🙃

Na, in all seriousness, this game will be a great test for our players, who I suspect will play with absolutely no fear. Unlike previous seasons, we now have a proper team. I don’t see the shape or tactics changing. We look solid at the back and dangerous going forward. Play just like we have in the majority of games this season and I think we could well get a result.   

Match Winner.

Now before everyone has a cammy  I'm just asking a question will it be Craig Gordon with a usual magnificent save or will it be Boyce with a lucky tap in or Kingsley with a superb free kick, me I think Woodburn is about to show his class and get the winner however would love it to be Barry Mckay

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm tempted to say we'll lose. Badly.

But on this occasion, I can see us taking at least a point. Based on no more, than players like Beni, Devlin, Woodburn & McKay not giving two shits about the supposed aura of playing at Ibrox. 

It'll become patently clear within 20 minutes, what Hearts' intentions are. 

Rangers will be 4-3-3. We'll be 3-4-2-1. (3-4-3).

If Beni & Devlin win their battles, & we take advantage of their wb's leaving space... it'll be a contest. Not a procession.

This is what I was thinking. You can also add Cochrane to that list. Guys that want to make a name for themselves and have played against the top EPL clubs. They won't be beaten before they go through there, like some scottish players almost seem to be. 

I would stick with the same line up and formation that's worked for us the last two games. Souttar on the bench. They are not as good as they've been and we've got a good side now. We've got every chance. Im feeling hopeful we can get at least a point. 

4 hours ago, Largo said:

And your choice would be  ?

Has to be the Celtic supporting Father Gollum. Maybe his septic bias would even up the score in our favour. Funny he doesn’t t get the nod for the top fixture in Scotland. Probably for him reffing the sceptic game this weekend 

1-2 The Famous with Walker playing the role of Osman Sow and cancelling a late equalizer with a goal of his own.

AlphonseCapone
21 hours ago, UpThePark said:

I think we are good enough to beat them.

I think my team would be the same as the Motherwell game but replace Moore with Soutter

I think Haring might get a start in midfield replacing Devlin

Why on earth would Devlin get dropped? His energy will be one of our biggest assets in terms of getting a result. 

AlphonseCapone
7 hours ago, Barack said:

I'm tempted to say we'll lose. Badly.

But on this occasion, I can see us taking at least a point. Based on no more, than players like Beni, Devlin, Woodburn & McKay not giving two shits about the supposed aura of playing at Ibrox. 

It'll become patently clear within 20 minutes, what Hearts' intentions are. 

Rangers will be 4-3-3. We'll be 3-4-2-1. (3-4-3).

If Beni & Devlin win their battles, & we take advantage of their wb's leaving space... it'll be a contest. Not a procession.

We've signed quite a few lads with ambition to go higher than us. Some disparagingly call that a stepping stone but I've got zero problems with that attitude, in fact that's the type of players we should be after. Saturday will be a huge opportunity for them to demonstrate they're capable of going higher as to do so, Ibrox can't phase you. 

It's a real opportunity for all of them to perform on a massive stage.  Who knows what will happen.

Given that rangers have already suffered 5 defeats, I'm sure our players won't be overwhelmed by the occasion and I'm equally confident we'll give a good account of ourselves.

I believe we can win and I'll be delighted if we do.

3 more sleeps.  Cannae wait.

Howdy Doody Jambo
10 hours ago, BRAVEHEART1874 said:

Hope Soutar, smith, halkett if they are starting all stay fit and dont need subbed later on. As we will have good options on the bench that can make a difference if we are still in the game after 70 mins and choosing 3 subs if needed from the likes of Nando, Ginelli, GMS, haring, walker ;) When was the last time we had a strong bench 2006?

I respect this gameplan however it's never been successful against the old firm in Glasgow for Hearts nor many other teams,

I hope Neilson goes all out for the knockout first and hopefully 2nd goals, staying in the game for the first 70 minutes, sitting in is just waiting on a rainy day and a booby prize at the end of the day, hope we start fast and attack them from the first whistle, the referee will be bad enough 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Wonder how the Ex Rangers lads will cope on Saturday.

I think we can beat them.

17 hours ago, jonesy said:

Two MoM candidates from last match dropped? Why? I know Devlin is a stick-on yellow card, but he's a level of quality above Haring from what we've seen already. Moore does the Souttar stuff just as well as the man himself.

I think Neilson will go for big game experience and both Soutter and Haring have that.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, UpThePark said:

I think Neilson will go for big game experience and both Soutter and Haring have that.

Haring might need be needed for his ariel presence. 

Harsh on who gets dropped but I think he'll cone in. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Haring might need be needed for his ariel presence. 

Harsh on who gets dropped but I think he'll cone in. 

He is a reserve will get odd minutes here and there only

Soapy for Cochrane, that's only change subject to last minute injuries, this for me is likely team.

Rangers at Ibrox is probably the hardest fixture on the calendar in SPL just now.   My head says 2-1 Rangers.  But my head is often wrong 🙂

Hoping we give a good account of ourselves, none of this sitting back crap, waiting for the inevitable. No point having a go when we're 2 or 3 down, games done, have a go from the start, let them worry about us, as long as we get stuck in from the first whistle, I'll be happy. 

A win would be brilliant, just don't get beat. 

FTR 

If we play as we have been then we will give them problems,, change our style and we will be in trouble, they have had bother with teams who are not of our standard   so put in the effort along with the football we've been playing and we could get something this weekend. I'm hopeful 

InternationalJambo
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

He had Van Veen on toast when most other centre half’s have struggled against him this season. It’s early days and I don’t want to jinx it but the boy looks an upgrade on Souttar when played on the right of a back 3. Souttar was starting to look shaky.

Edited by InternationalJambo

mickycameron98

I've got a horrible fear that Devlin will get a red card. If we can keep our discipline and the referee isn't a bellend then we can definitely come away with something here.

Edited by mickycameron98

Horatio Caine
2 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

I've got a horrible fear that Devlin will get a red card. If we can keep our discipline and the referee isn't a bellend then we can definitely come away with something here.

Oh well...

Takeshi kovac

Our defence is looking pretty solid ,Moore looks a great addition.  We have players all over the pitch that match up with them. The biggest concern I have is the referee booking Devlin or Beni early doors stifling their game. Knowing this ref he will be all out to book both in the first 20 minutes 

I keep getting the feeling this is where we will lose our first game... But we have a chance of picking up points. In the last few years i would have written us off at Ibrox completely so even having small hope is good