***Official Rangers vs Heart of Midlothian match thread ***

William H. Bonney

William H. Bonney

Internationals over, back to the league. 
An intriguing fixture. Will hearts give a good account of themselves in Glasgow for once. 
My head says 3-1 to rangers 
My heart says 1-1. 
I just really hope we give them a game. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• King prawn

• CloustonHMFC

I don't think we're quite there yet. Very encouraging start to the season but need rangers to be poor to get any sort of result. Massive boost if we do though.

kingantti1874

Hardest game of the season, just want us to us a go and not meekly surrender as we usually do at ibrox .  A result of any kid will be a bonus 

highlandjambo3

I think we will play well and score but, lose by 1 goal, (2-1 / 3-2)……..I also think the hand of god (ref) will play a part……dodgy red for us/off side goal from them stands/legit goal for us chalked off etc.

I think we are good enough to beat them.

I think my team would be the same as the Motherwell game but replace Moore with Soutter

I think Haring might get a start in midfield replacing Devlin

I'm quite upbeat about this one (not usual for me). They aren't as good as last season and we are miles better. If Benne and Devlin carry on their good form I think our midfield is better than theirs. All depends on our back 3. Get into Morelos head (spooky place I know) and he could see red. 

1-0Jambos. 

...andFulton'sBaggio

Play the same team as last time, as long as Halkett makes it. If not, a reshuffle of the back 3 may be required. I reckon Souttar will make the bench, but not ready to start. Not too worried about that though - Taylor Moore's done brilliantly!

We've always got Haring to come off the bench if we need to shore it up in midfield. Likewise Gnando up top if we need the ball to stick.

The 3-4-3 we play is flexible enough to soak up pressure and spring forward in attack. Play our usual game Hearts, be confident on the ball. That's the main thing. Small chance of a slim victory, but given our recent form through there, I'd bite your hand off for a 1-1. 

50 minutes ago, UpThePark said:

I think my team would be the same as the Motherwell game but replace Moore with Soutter

Neilson is a tinkerer but if he drops skippy for Haring that alone is a basis for sacking. 

At the very least it's nice to contemplate a Hearts visit to Ibrox/Parkheid and not just write it off.

I usually do nowadays but this feels different.

Even if Saturday does end up in a routine defeat at least, right now, I have belief we can take a point or three.

I've stopped making actual result predictions on the match day thread this season and we're undefeated (league).

I'll stick to that.

Edited by martoon

Sub4TiddlerMurray
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

4-0 rangers. 

3-0 at ht. 

what?

They’ve been beaten 5 times this season…ok, once in the league. They’ve mostly struggled to slim victories, including a 2-1 against 10 man Hibs. Dundee U beat them 1-0. Whereas we are unbeaten in the league with more clean sheets. 

No way they are playing well enough to stick more than 2 past the best defence (and best keeper) in the SPFL. And, the only way they get 2 is if we  start with “the low-block” rather than the 3-4-3 that has been winning us games.

This is the game that will define our season: 1-2 or better to the JT’s!

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

Boooooooooooooo

Just now, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

what?

They’ve been beaten 5 times this season…ok, once in the league. They’ve mostly struggled to slim victories, including a 2-1 against 10 man Hibs. Dundee U beat them 1-0. Whereas we are unbeaten in the league with more clean sheets. 

No way they are playing well enough to stick more than 2 past the best defence (and best keeper) in the SPFL. And, the only way they get 2 is if we  start with “the low-block” rather than the 3-4-3 that has been winning us games.

This is the game that will define our season: 1-2 or better to the JT’s!

😂

Yip, and with it being 3-0 at ht we'll be happy with game ending 4-0.

Hope I'm very wrong. 

I think we have enough quality to rattle them. A hard fought 1 goal difference win is my prediction HOWEVER!!!!!

See if we go through there to "contain them" or dramatically change our shape to cope with them I will be EFFING PEED OFF!!!!

GET INTAE THEM HEARTS. THE HUN DOESNT LIKE IT UP THEM!!!!

EDIT: As always with these feckers, if we lose but have had a real genuine go at them and gave 100% for the shirt I would be happy with that (not happy with zero points but happy with the teams genuine efforts). You can't really complain if the other team is "just better than you" but you can complain if they shit themselves and the occasion intimidates them....INTAE THE HEARTS!!!  

Edited by Pans Jambo

28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

😂

Yip, and with it being 3-0 at ht we'll be happy with game ending 4-0.

Hope I'm very wrong. 

I hope you're wrong as well.

Unfortunately, I think a demoralising 'back in your box' scudding is on the cards as well.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, martoon said:

At the very least it's nice to contemplate a Hearts visit to Ibrox/Parkheid and not just write it off.

I usually do nowadays but this feels different.

Even if Saturday does end up in a routine defeat at least, right now, I have belief we can take a point or three.

I've stopped making actual result predictions on the match day thread this season and we're undefeated (league).

I'll stick to that.

I like this. 

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

I think we have enough quality to rattle them. A hard fought 1 goal difference win is my prediction HOWEVER!!!!!

See if we go through there to "contain them" or dramatically change our shape to cope with them I will be EFFING PEED OFF!!!!

GET INTAE THEM HEARTS. THE HUN DOESNT LIKE IT UP THEM!!!!

EDIT: As always with these feckers, if we lose but have had a real genuine go at them and gave 100% for the shirt I would be happy with that (not happy with zero points but happy with the teams genuine efforts). You can't really complain if the other team is "just better than you" but you can complain if they shit themselves and the occasion intimidates them....INTAE THE HEARTS!!!  

Sums up my thoughts too

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Hardest game of the season, just want us to us a go and not meekly surrender as we usually do at ibrox .  A result of any kid will be a bonus 

Bang on. Sick of the shite we normally serve up in Glasgow. Hopefully Neilson has learnt his lesson. Time will tell.

If we get a bit luck and a first half lead (and don't concede right away afterwards) I think we could destroy them on the counter over the course of the game. 

Otherwise I expect it to be a fairly close affair.

Either way, I can't see us conceding many goals.

I think there will be a few goals and it'll be a close match. I'm really looking forward to it, first away match of the season. 

Brick Tamland

I don't think they are playing that great at all and have weaknesses all over the pitch.  If we are on our game, as we have been, then they are absolutely there for the taking, unfortunately we will require a referee who has a set of balls and Don Robertson isn't that man.

A good ref and we are winning 2-0 / 3-1 but with the ref we have they will get every call so 1-1

Sorry, but seen it all before. Promising first 15 mins and then on the end of a 3 or 4 nil pumping. Please prove me wrong Hearts. One for the stats; How many wins have we had in total in Glasgow since we came back in 83/84? 

I can see a solid performance and it finishing a 1-1 draw imo, I don't think Rangers are at their best and we are playing well at the moment, us to score first and then Rangers will win a last min dodgy pen as it looks like we're about to win. 😕

As long as Robbie doesn't ‘do a Robbie’ I reckon it’ll be 1-1.

A sneaky wee 2-1 Hearts would be just what the doctor ordered though.

Hackney Hearts
19 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

One for the stats; How many wins have we had in total in Glasgow since we came back in 83/84? 

6 at Ibrox, I make it. 

85     2-0

88     2-1

96     3-0

04     1-0

12      2-1

14      2-1

Plus one cup win in 1998 obviously. 🏆

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

6 at Ibrox, I make it. 

85     2-0

88     2-1

96     3-0

04     1-0

12      2-1

14      2-1

That is Grim. 

Put things into context tho. 

portobellojambo1

I think if we approach the game properly we have reason to believe we can get a result through there. It is within this team to get a close victory but I'd accept a draw.

For Rangers to play poorly that involves the way Hearts go into this game, they will play poorly if we force them to do so. Sitting off them and hoping they play poorly won't work, competing with and confronting them is what is needed. We tried sitting off in our last trip to Glasgow, the Premier Sports cup tie versus Celtic and lost out due to the manner we played the first half. Learn from mistakes, have confidence in what they players can do and set them up to do it.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Hackney Hearts

If we were to manage a win, it would be the first time we've won 3 in-a-row against them since 1985-86 (when we actually did 4).

7 hours ago, UpThePark said:

No way is Devlin getting dropped. Only change, should we have a full compliment of players, will be Souttar for Moore.

Whitecapjambo

Maybe not the right place to post this....over in Edinburgh visiting the mother for the weekend. Does anyone know of a pub that might be showing the game? Was looking to see if there was a beam back to Tynie but doesn't seem so. Feel free to DM me if you don't fancy posting it publicly. Cheers WCJ

Go there and attack from the start, that has confused them for years when that happens. Almost every team that plays there, start defensively and gives them a boost from the start. Just go for the kill from the start.

2 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

6 at Ibrox, I make it. 

85     2-0

88     2-1

96     3-0

04     1-0

12      2-1

14      2-1

These stats can't be right.  I thought we used to go to Ibrox and "have a go" before Levein and Neilson got their wicked way.

27 minutes ago, WageThief said:

These stats can't be right.  I thought we used to go to Ibrox and "have a go" before Levein and Neilson got their wicked way.

Neilson being the last one to win there puts the 'doing a Neilson' to bed. Unless that means winning of course.

That said I think we will be beaten on Saturday and we will give the ball away too cheaply.

I was at a Shareholders meeting when James Bee(Edinburgh ref retired) spoke about this.The point he was making was that of these few meagre victories only 1,I think, was via a Weegie ref.All the rest were from somewhere on the east coast.He was pretty angry about this as it just showed up the bias.

Tickets arrived this morning and really looking forward to this one. Last time I went to Ibrox with this particular friend of mine was the Osman Sow game so the signs are already there for a Hearts win! 

Joking aside I’m actually about as confident as I’ve been for going there. They are not anywhere near what they have been in the past and even though they have a decent squad I don’t believe they have a better starting eleven than we do just now. We are looking good and have some real talent and youthful swagger and I’m not sure this squad will have that fear of going through there.  We are winning this one and it will be the game that makes a lot of people realise what we are aiming for this season. It’s going to be a tough one but we are winning this convincingly. Can’t wait. See you all Saturday👍

My worry is that if we lose and then lose any of the last 3, a gap of sizeable proportions is more than likely to open up.

For me, that means we can't afford to lose.  We can't sit back from the start and I don't think we will.  I'll stick to my optimistic prediction that we'll be 2 up at half time then see what happens.  Either a memorable big win or nail biting.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, WageThief said:

Yip. 

JKB myth busted. 

However, looking at that we are now due a win. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, scottishguy said:

Go there and attack from the start, that has confused them for years when that happens. Almost every team that plays there, start defensively and gives them a boost from the start. Just go for the kill from the start.

But.... What if rangers go for the kill and attack as well! 

🤷‍♂️

Takeshi kovac
2 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

No way is Devlin getting dropped. Only change, should we have a full compliment of players, will be Souttar for Moore.

Don't think Moore deserves to be dropped,  he has been excellent the last 2 games

1 hour ago, WageThief said:

Neilson done well against Rangers in the championship but I’m sure stats were posted on here that Levein had close to the worst old firm record of any Hearts managers ever.

39 minutes ago, billybalfour said:

I was at a Shareholders meeting when James Bee(Edinburgh ref retired) spoke about this.The point he was making was that of these few meagre victories only 1,I think, was via a Weegie ref.All the rest were from somewhere on the east coast.He was pretty angry about this as it just showed up the bias.

Should be something that we are aggressively pushing behind the scenes. Get the feeling Ann knows its a waste of time though. 

I would be interested what they would say if we just published the stats and let them speak for themselves. We all know there is a series bias problem and the stats would back it up, someone collating all of it and publishing it would make it undeniable.