airbnb

Morgan

Hi,

I'm looking fo folks thoughts, and opinions, on how airbnb usually deal with complaints made by neighbours of flats and houses that are let out through them.

There is an apartment block quite near our house, it has been very heavily occupied since May.  There is a lot of noise and other anti-social behaviour.  Ourselves, and some neighbours have decided that enough is enough and that we are going to report this to airbnb.

I can’t find anything on the internet that gives any indication of how this company deals with these complaint.  Can you help?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I would suggest Airbnb is not your best starting point. It’s an apartment block so no guarantee those indulging in anti social behaviour are via air bnb. Unless you have specific evidence it’s related to Airbnb lets? 

I would suggest the best bet is local council or the French equivalent and get them to investigate the anti social. They will have way more authority to make things happen than some punter complaining in general sense. 

I understand that’s not the answer you will be looking for. 

Thanks for your reply.

It was worded wrongly by me.  There are a couple of apartments within the block that we know, for sure, are airbnb.

I realised my error just after posting!

40 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

https://www.airbnb.com/neighbors

The issue will be you will need to prove anti social behaviour is from Airbnb let’s not sure how easy that is unless you can identify the breaches are from their let’s.

Would recommend the French version of what @JamesM48posted as started point.

Hope you get it sorted👍

Oh yes I forgot Morgan lives in France 🇫🇷 ( lucky bugger) ! The link I gave only deals with Edinburgh complaints 

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hi,

I'm looking fo folks thoughts, and opinions, on how airbnb usually deal with complaints made by neighbours of flats and houses that are let out through them.

There is an apartment block quite near our house, it has been very heavily occupied since May.  There is a lot of noise and other anti-social behaviour.  Ourselves, and some neighbours have decided that enough is enough and that we are going to report this to airbnb.

I can’t find anything on the internet that gives any indication of how this company deals with these complaint.  Can you help?

Thanks

Take a bottle of vodka over and stop yer moaning, immigrant. 

:leveinproblem:

It is becoming a common complaint here, some of the time it is because of two house or domiciles owning. If traced heavy tax penalties are assessed on the second property being used as Airbnb. Nuisance complaints are also dealt with by Council,  one problem is that numerous properties are owned by a non domiciled person so it is difficult to take action. Local council are a starting points, there are some places where stricter rules are being applied to offshore investors in housing projects, but it is a rising problem in todays offshore ownerships and I have not seen any comprehensive or satisfactory solution stated.

AirBnB is the last place that will action any complaint successfully.  They will basically 'spin' the outcome that the problem is yours and that the "Hosts" of the property are doing nothing wrong and are indeed supporting the local economy and bring many gains to your area/department.  Second last place that will action a complaint is the owners/investors who actually fund the property.

AirBnB as a company are as unethical as most of the Hosts who capitalise from mostly unregulated commercial activity.

I'd expect the local council or equivalent in the region may be the starting point or try to find if there are other examples where action has been raised or maybe even focus groups in the area that can provide guidance on where to begin with a complaint.  

7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

No advice mon ami but I hope you get it sorted. 

Italians per chance?

Thanks.👍

French and Italian loudmouths.

7 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

https://www.airbnb.com/neighbors

The issue will be you will need to prove anti social behaviour is from Airbnb let’s not sure how easy that is unless you can identify the breaches are from their let’s.

Would recommend the French version of what @JamesM48posted as started point.

Hope you get it sorted👍

Thank you, BJ

I take your comments on board.

I appreciate your help.

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh yes I forgot Morgan lives in France 🇫🇷 ( lucky bugger) ! The link I gave only deals with Edinburgh complaints 

No problem, James.

At least you tried to help, thank you.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Take a bottle of vodka over and stop yer moaning, immigrant. 

:leveinproblem:

The vodka bit is the best suggestion I’ve had for a long time, ri.

Have a few yourself, on me.  :cheers:

6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks.👍

French and Italian loudmouths.

Thank you, BJ

I take your comments on board.

I appreciate your help.

No problem, James.

At least you tried to help, thank you.

The vodka bit is the best suggestion I’ve had for a long time, ri.

Have a few yourself, on me.  :cheers:

Air B and B anti social behaviour Is a massive issue in Edinburgh . Maybe the world over as those people only the place for a short period of time so aren’t bothered about creating a nuisance of themselves. 

id assume the local council would have some influence in dealing with those complaints ? Good luck anyway 

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Air B and B anti social behaviour Is a massive issue in Edinburgh . Maybe the world over as those people only the place for a short period of time so aren’t bothered about creating a nuisance of themselves. 

id assume the local council would have some influence in dealing with those complaints ? Good luck anyway 

I take it, Air bnb isn't regulated or licenced? 

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I take it, Air bnb isn't regulated or licenced? 

Semi regulated . This article is interesting about Edinburgh city plans to ensure those renting out air B and B they may need planning permission . 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/hopeful-edinburgh-airbnb-hosts-could-21321527.amp

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

We do use Airbnb a lot James in Scotland, England, Belgium and Spain/Canaries and we do try to respect others around us. Getting in from the pub to either sit in the flat or balcony we just put on Absolute Classic Rock at a very low volume.

Only problems we've had with Airbnb have been in Brussels where twice we've had to live out of a suitcase because the drawers were full of someone elses clothes, like someone had moved out to allow us to rent it, bit weird like.

Mid lockdown a couple of young local girls hired an Air BnB next to my house with the sole intention of having a party. The whole thing got out of control, police called, neighbours threatened, and police throwing people out in the middle of the night under threat of arrest. Then they wrecked the flat in the morning before they left, holes kicked in walls, furniture wrecked and a dining table thrown half way through the window of the first floor flat. 
It pisses me off having one next to me but no excuse for that kind of behaviour. 

A Boy Named Crow
6 hours ago, SecN said:

AirBnB is the last place that will action any complaint successfully.  They will basically 'spin' the outcome that the problem is yours and that the "Hosts" of the property are doing nothing wrong and are indeed supporting the local economy and bring many gains to your area/department.  Second last place that will action a complaint is the owners/investors who actually fund the property.

AirBnB as a company are as unethical as most of the Hosts who capitalise from mostly unregulated commercial activity.

I'd expect the local council or equivalent in the region may be the starting point or try to find if there are other examples where action has been raised or maybe even focus groups in the area that can provide guidance on where to begin with a complaint.  

Maybe @Morgan should start by shopping them to the French equivalent of HMRC...

12 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Maybe @Morgan should start by shopping them to the French equivalent of HMRC...

It’s funny you should say that.  We are hoping against hope that the owner of the offending apartment is not declaring his income!

16 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Cheers, James.  👍

highlandjambo3

Being in the accommodation side of hospitality (my tuppence worth), there are more and more accommodation loopholes popping up all over the place and, the big hitters like booking.com are only interested in coining in the WONGA (15% commission per booking).  

There are a fair number of properties up here listed on booking.com but, you would walk by them and have no idea they were b & b’s/guest houses, no traditional sign out front etc….why?  Well it’s much easier to bend the rules, no environmental agency spot checks, tax avoidance etc………these properties usually have a Mobil number for you to call when you are near to the property to allow some unscrupulous person to guide you to the actual house with a combination keypad outside to let yourself in.  The same number to call if you have a problem etc….self service Buffett breakfast in the morning and, you never meet the owner with no actual face to face with anyone……...dodgy as tbh.

I do believe some of these properties are rented to others by landlords then, advertised as accommodation lets (unknown to the landlord)….so, as long as people are looking for a cheap room from (insert any accommodation provider) the rogues out there will provide you with sub standard rooms…..complain all you want but you know what, they don’t care you won’t be back but someone else will.

I use booking.com (works for me) and, when listing your property you go through a massive “tick box” exercise listing the facilities you have backed up by pictures but, you can just bluff it….booking.com won’t check, if it goes wrong your own your own.

Id imagine many more are advertised on air b & b etc.

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Being in the accommodation side of hospitality (my tuppence worth), there are more and more accommodation loopholes popping up all over the place and, the big hitters like booking.com are only interested in coining in the WONGA (15% commission per booking).  

There are a fair number of properties up here listed on booking.com but, you would walk by them and have no idea they were b & b’s/guest houses, no traditional sign out front etc….why?  Well it’s much easier to bend the rules, no environmental agency spot checks, tax avoidance etc………these properties usually have a Mobil number for you to call when you are near to the property to allow some unscrupulous person to guide you to the actual house with a combination keypad outside to let yourself in.  The same number to call if you have a problem etc….self service Buffett breakfast in the morning and, you never meet the owner with no actual face to face with anyone……...dodgy as tbh.

I do believe some of these properties are rented to others by landlords then, advertised as accommodation lets (unknown to the landlord)….so, as long as people are looking for a cheap room from (insert any accommodation provider) the rogues out there will provide you with sub standard rooms…..complain all you want but you know what, they don’t care you won’t be back but someone else will.

I use booking.com (works for me) and, when listing your property you go through a massive “tick box” exercise listing the facilities you have backed up by pictures but, you can just bluff it….booking.com won’t check, if it goes wrong your own your own.

Id imagine many more are advertised on air b & b etc.

Do you have a sign outside HJ3?

Only asking because I seem to remember you saying you had a keysafe, did a buffet breakfast and never had to meet guests.

:whistling:

On 12/10/2021 at 14:23, Morgan said:

Hi,

Thanks

Flit. 

Heard some proper horror stories. Good luck getting any joy. 

3 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Flit. 

Heard some proper horror stories. Good luck getting any joy. 

🙄

Thankfully Vince, it’s not that close to our small villa that we would find that necessary, although we do hear some of their noise.

It’s the year-round residents in the apartment block that we feel sorry for.

We are going to contact the police and the town hall, in the first instance.

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

🙄

Thankfully Vince, it’s not that close to our small villa that we would find that necessary, although we do hear some of their noise.

I know of a group of people who went to a big house in the countryside recently for a weekender. Two of them (separate cars) drove into the grounds of the nearby house by mistake. The owners practically begged them not to go mental over the weekend saying their life was now a misery. Every weekend was mayhem. 

The owners of the other house further up the drive visited in the morning after the first night. 12 cars in the driveway of a 5 bedroom house and 8 of then were in the hot tub at 9am, reeking drunk and blasting tunes out. The lady from the other house was in tears. 

A few of them felt bad and reigned it in. Noone else gave a toss. 

Apparently its been like that for two years, including both lockdowns and noone cares. 

Edited by Savage Vince

Doctor FinnBarr
11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

🙄

Small villa my arse

800x600_8f01f861dcac60ab0083903b5124af50.jpg

24 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

I know of a group of people who went to a big house in the countryside recently for a weekender. Two of them (separate cars) drove into the grounds of the nearby house by mistake. The owners practically begged them not to go mental over the weekend saying their life was now a misery. Every weekend was mayhem. 

The owners of the other house further up the drive visited in the morning after the first night. 12 cars in the driveway of a 5 bedroom house and 8 of then were in the hot tub at 9am, reeking drunk and blasting tunes out. The lady from the other house was in tears. 

Apparently its been like that for two years, including both lockdowns and noone cares. 

Are you referring to the big place just outside West Linton ?   Pretty sure its rented out through airbnb, and sleeps about 20.     That place has  made it on to the radio news a few times recently due to all night parties and the mess they leave iaround the village. A few local residents have been trying for months to get  them or the police or the council to get a grip on it.

Whether deliberate or not, airbnb seems to have attracted a clientele consisting of rogue property owners and Ibiza nightclubbers.     

Hope you get some resolution to your situation,@Morgan    

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Are you referring to the big place just outside West Linton ?   Pretty sure its rented out through airbnb, and sleeps about 20.     That place has  made it on to the radio news a few times recently due to all night parties and the mess they leave iaround the village. A few local residents have been trying for months to get  them or the police or the council to get a grip on it.

Whether deliberate or not, airbnb seems to have attracted a clientele consisting of rogue property owners and Ibiza nightclubbers.     

No pal, the place I was on about is out by Dumbarton. 

Doctor FinnBarr
11 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Oi, I'm 60 and sitting listening to Absolute Classic Rock just now. I'm as far from an Ibiza nightclubber as you can get.

14 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

No pal, the place I was on about is out by Dumbarton. 

Ah ok.  👍  Similar situation though, it sounds like.       

I can't  understand why an owner of a big house would risk letting it out to the airbnb sort of folks * who are likely to trash the place and cause a nuisance to locals.     Most holiday house letting companies have it in their T&C that you'll be charged for breakages, extra cleaning etc  - and no parties !!

*  apart from @FinnBarr Saunders obviously...... when he's not playing rock music at full volume anyway.   🧐😃

Edited by Lone Striker

2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Small villa my arse

😆 I wish!

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Cheers LS, I appreciate that.  👍 

2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Small villa my arse

thats the staff quarters, morgan would not lower himself to something that small

Don't take this the wrong way. But millions of people go on holiday each year. And if folk would like to to run a business using their homes, 🤔 and using the income to live in a country which attracts visitors. Well, good on them, just not next to me.

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Do you have a sign outside HJ3?

Only asking because I seem to remember you saying you had a keysafe, did a buffet breakfast and never had to meet guests.

:whistling:

Course I do.  
I had to adapt during the lockdown so I did provide a “hands off” service for key workers.  All back to normal (ish) now.

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

I know how to blow shit up…………………….drop me a line 😂.  Any feds looking in, in joking of course….ain’t I 😏

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Don't take this the wrong way. But millions of people go on holiday each year. And if folk would like to to run a business using their homes, 🤔 and using the income to live in a country which attracts visitors. Well, good on them, just not next to me.

That is a valid point, but the problem we have here is people in an Asian country buy houses here as an investment, and await a period of high Real Estate prices. In the waiting period some have made these investment properties Air B&B, so other than the rental agency there is no ready source to complain to if misbehavior is occurring.

18 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

@Morganany update on progress of addressing issue? 

Hi BJ,

thanks for asking.

We have contacted three different bodies, still waiting on replies.

We have found out that the offending apartment block is run by a syndicate.  We have asked them if they are aware that at least two of the apartments are being used by airbnb for short-term leases.  We think they won’t as it is apparently against their rules.

We have written to the Mairie at the Town Hall and we have written to the Police.

I will let you know if, and when, any responses are received.

Morgan

It's against the rules in most places for residential properties to be used commercially. Modern (and likely old) Title Deeds are usually restrictive of such activity.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, SecN said:

It's against the rules in most places for residential properties to be used commercially. Modern (and likely old) Title Deeds are usually restrictive of such activity.

Might be but who's policing it?

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, SecN said:

Of course its against the rules but it’s still going on…….on a fairly large scale……..chances of getting caught are low.

Here’s how:

I rent a 4 bedroom house from a landlord at £XX per month, I then list the property on air b & b / booking.com making sure I don’t actually post any external building pictures or, give any external incline that it’s a guest property.  Combination box with a front door key and my contact phone number on the front door.  Make sure I post loads of good pictures online (see below) and it’s WONGA time.  Of course I do have to go and change rooms, top up continental buffet etc…….but, I can always pay someone to do this.

Later when I’m feeling flush, I can actually bump the landlord for a few months rent, string them along a bit whilst still letting out the property to guests……keep taking as many bookings as I can until I’m sussed, keep checking people in via Mobil phone until such time as the landlord twigs and changes the front door lock.  Peak tourist time is May-September £60 per room per night £240 per day £36k ish….that’s 1 property……now, how many properties could I manage 💰💰💰

So, at the point of being sussed, what will happen is unsuspecting guests show up at the property but they can’t get in and call me to say there is no combination box on the front door………I reply “dam I’ve been sussed” Chuck away my phone and then move onto the next landlord……..simple.

Show this information to a like minded person and the risk suddenly becomes acceptable.

E60C5E0D-A3D1-43A6-8AA0-5FBA57983BB2.jpeg

263D66D9-8AE2-4D3B-82A9-94C961366411.jpeg

A4BFF3CB-27DE-40D2-A134-8B420BD9FC2B.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Now we have the local council elections 2022 out the way, is the newly elected Edinburgh council now going to work towards getting Airbnb under control in the city. 

• 7 months later...

Living Rent is currently running a petition against Holiday Lets in Edinburgh with a closing date of 22 December if anyone is interested:

"Sign below and endorse our demands for:

• Restrictions on short term lets in residential areas, in quiet areas, in shared stairwells, in large properties, in properties with a shared garden, and where there would be an adverse effect on parking.
  • Further restrictions on short term lets to help maintain the availability of housing, particularly of accessible housing and of smaller properties to help tackle under occupancy in the city.
  • Proper enforcement mechanisms and meaningful penalties for landlords who operate short term lets unlawfully.
  • For this guidance to be implemented as quickly as possible to prevent landlords evading upcoming regulation."

https://www.livingrent.org/homes_not_holiday_lets_2022

Edited by Ray Gin

On 15/10/2021 at 09:41, highlandjambo3 said:

Of course its against the rules but it’s still going on…….on a fairly large scale……..chances of getting caught are low.

Here’s how:

I rent a 4 bedroom house from a landlord at £XX per month, I then list the property on air b & b / booking.com making sure I don’t actually post any external building pictures or, give any external incline that it’s a guest property.  Combination box with a front door key and my contact phone number on the front door.  Make sure I post loads of good pictures online (see below) and it’s WONGA time.  Of course I do have to go and change rooms, top up continental buffet etc…….but, I can always pay someone to do this.

Later when I’m feeling flush, I can actually bump the landlord for a few months rent, string them along a bit whilst still letting out the property to guests……keep taking as many bookings as I can until I’m sussed, keep checking people in via Mobil phone until such time as the landlord twigs and changes the front door lock.  Peak tourist time is May-September £60 per room per night £240 per day £36k ish….that’s 1 property……now, how many properties could I manage 💰💰💰

So, at the point of being sussed, what will happen is unsuspecting guests show up at the property but they can’t get in and call me to say there is no combination box on the front door………I reply “dam I’ve been sussed” Chuck away my phone and then move onto the next landlord……..simple.

Show this information to a like minded person and the risk suddenly becomes acceptable.

I wouldn't stay there. 

Signed, even as a non Edinburgh resident. 

I had a great discussion about a year ago outside the Co-op on Dalry Rd with a group that were campaigning against against short term lets etc. 

Doctor FinnBarr
On 15/10/2021 at 09:41, highlandjambo3 said:

Here’s how:

Personally, i'd never book an Airbnb/Vrbo without an outside pic. Balcony or terrace is always a must too in warmer climes (no Nairn). If you look through reviews on Airbnb/Vrbo someone will slip in the address to allow you a google street view.

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Living Rent is currently running a petition against Holiday Lets in Edinburgh with a closing date of 22 December if anyone is interested:

"Sign below and endorse our demands for:

• Restrictions on short term lets in residential areas, in quiet areas, in shared stairwells, in large properties, in properties with a shared garden, and where there would be an adverse effect on parking.
  • Further restrictions on short term lets to help maintain the availability of housing, particularly of accessible housing and of smaller properties to help tackle under occupancy in the city.
  • Proper enforcement mechanisms and meaningful penalties for landlords who operate short term lets unlawfully.
  • For this guidance to be implemented as quickly as possible to prevent landlords evading upcoming regulation."

https://www.livingrent.org/homes_not_holiday_lets_2022

Signed, cheers. 👍

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

I wouldn't stay there. 

Where?

Where wouldn’t you stay?

It’s not like you are posh, or anything.  🤓

highlandjambo3

Do NOT book air b&b (currently)…..it’s being put through the mangler to sort out its (current) problems…….i am sure it will come good.

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Eh? Wouldn’t stay where?

Any air b & b property’s …… the pictures are my place…..where you would stay

highlandjambo3

You know what I’ve seen in the hospitality industry since I opened a guest house ( about 12 years with absolutely no experience).   Punters want the lowest price then complain It’s shit….yes of of course…….McD’s don’t do filet steak…….if you want a single room for £25 you’ll find one….it will be a bed & breakfast.