Huge Test for Robbie Neilson

lost in space

ROBBIE NEILSON PRE-MATCH

https://t.co/l5VFDXvj5Q

Massive game for both Robbie and the team. Few interesting decisions to make regarding the team, the main one being does Souttar come straight back in for Moore. 

Good to hear we’re in talks with Gordon about extending his contract and it’s encouraging to hear Robbie saying we’re going to Ibrox to win… (talk is cheap though I accept). 

Been a while since I’ve been so hopeful of getting a result away to the Old-Firm, but we didn’t cover ourselves in glory at Parkhead in the cup, so hopefully Robbie has learnt something from that match. 

Reads appreciated, Michael Smith interview uptomorrow. 

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

• Gambo

• lost in space

south morroccan
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Well put, European teams have shown the way to play against them and their sewer sharing counterparts. 

Foreign teams do have the advantage of neutral referees.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

You do seem to watch a different game from the rest of us. 

Not the rest, about 10/12 select few. 

1970' s Brazil. 

Pep. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Put the sky remote down and get to Tynecastle. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, south morroccan said:

What foreign teams of a similar stature to ours are winning at Ibrox and parkhead regularly? 

I think certain folk are eating the glue again. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

What foreign teams of a similar stature to ours are winning at Ibrox and parkhead regularly? 

I think certain folk are eating the glue again. 

Malmo.

Hackney Hearts
2 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Malmo.

Yup. And they won 7-0 at Easter Road, which is what we should be doing. 👍

Guest ToqueJambo

Amazing how easy it seems to be for us to win against Rangers in Glasgow in the eye of some.

Strange then that not a single Hearts manager has been able to do it consistently, including when Rangers were not so far ahead financially.

The Grim Reaper
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Amazing how easy it seems to be for us to win against Rangers in Glasgow in the eye of some.

Strange then that not a single Hearts manager has been able to do it consistently, including when Rangers were not so far ahead financially.

No one is saying it will be easy. People like me just want to see us go there and have a go.

We have good enough players to try and take the game to them rather than sitting back like we usually do and inevitably getting beaten. 

Forever Hearts
27 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Can you point me to a single poster who said it will be easy? 

Thanks. 

18 hours ago, luckydug said:

Lost in space and Mars Plastic just itching to be able to say 'told you so' on Saturday night. 😏

I'll most likely still be in Glasgow on Saturday night after being at the game. You and the egg chaser should try is some time rather than racking up the countless inane posts on here.

17 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Are we? Can you quote the numbers?

The last numbers I saw were from 3 or 4 years ago because the big football salary survey always gets published well after the season in question is over. But IIRC Hearts payroll then was in the neighborhood of £4 million. Small SPFL clubs were in the £600-£800k range. The OF were at a bit north of £20 million at the time.

lost in space
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

What are "his tactics" exactly? How are they different from other Hearts and non-Hearts managers against Rangers and everyone else?

If you want a debate about tactics have a debate about tactics. You post your view of his tactics and how you see them and others can then respond. But you're just a troll aren't you, getting the reactions you wanted as well as gaining support from the familiar bunch of mini trolls lining up behind you, so I won't hold my breath?

That's a pity - I was hoping you would hold your breath.

17 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

The stats of this site would suggest that is not the case. This is average first team player wage rather than total payroll.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/547202/average-annual-first-team-player-salaray-football-clubs-scottish-premiership/

Happy to be shown other figures @Led Tasso. Often hard to pin down exact figures for these things.

While it doesn't look like the multiple is the same for Livi to us, as us to the Old Firm, we have clearly underperformed our budget regularlly.

I’m on my phone on a break from work so doing the figures in my head but the ratio of us to Livi as well as the ratio of Rangers to us both look to be in the 4-5 range?

lost in space
3 hours ago, WageThief said:

Dont take things so personally.  Note how I used "you" which is of course the plural of "thou".  I was referring to your ilk in general.

You are struggling to understand the basics here lad.  My comment about your erections had nothing to do with your sex life.  Not really sure where I mentioned your life, was just responding to the kind of person who thought I shouldn't comment on a stupid thread.

Have you never been to Easter Road?  

I think the last time at ER, I had my shoes in my hand, waving them in the air and singing "shoes off if you hate hibees".

Long time ago now.

Funny at the time but what a bunch of dafties. 

9 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

I'd agree that broadly speaking we will have a much higher average salary than Livi, St mirren etc - but in my opinion the difference between a £1k a week player and a £3k a week player is quite different to a £3k / week versus a £9k a week player - and it increases exponentially as the salary goes up.  e.g. our Gino v ryan Kent 

Hard to say IMO because there are hugely overpaid and underpaid players out there. Mind the time Juwon Oshaniwa was sitting at home every Saturday as our highest paid player by a decent margin while academy products were filling in for him at left back.

julienbrellier
On 12/10/2021 at 11:23, Taffin said:

He's definitely won me around quite considerably. I was never really anti-Neilson to begin with however the way he left last time and the ability to split the fans made me think he was a bad appointment and I'd have been happy to see him go at the end of last year. He didn't, and he's turned things around quite spectacularly, so massive congratulations on that from me, I was wrong. This game is a turning point though for me, go there and play to win and I'll get fully on board the Nielson train regardless of the outcome. Go there and sit deep, concede 1 and then 2/3/4 after we're forced to go chasing the game then I remain where I am on him. Happy with what he's achieving but convinced he's not the long term solution.

I'm hoping I'll be fully, 100% in the Robbie Neilson fan club come the end of the match.

That’s the post that expresses the opinion of a huge majority of hearts fans. This 100%

4 hours ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I hear you and will have to continue to hear you until we loose our first game, when I will have to put earplugs in.. 

maybe don’t read threads that upset you then? When Hearts lose I’ve no doubt on a forum for discussing all things Hearts,  people will have a say. I support Hearts not one person employed by the club and if I feel their is a weak link within the club holding us back then it should be discussed. At the moment everything has clicked or fallen into place this season and the club has at last given the fans the team playing entertaining football we all crave. Long May it continue. 
PS I’d take a draw tomorrow 👍

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Malmo.

Thier turnover is generally running about £30m, over double ours. 

The played the of In the ucl. 

They've won their league 6 times in the past ten years. 

They make the group stages regularly of the European comps. 

Their club ranking in 57, we are not in the top 300.

How is that even close to the stature of Hearts? 

We've been in the Scottish championship twice in that time. 

If Hearts get  near that level we'll all be happy and quite rightly have higher expectations. 

Malmo are far nearer the level of Rangers than us and compete as they should with the likes of rangers. 

14 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:Amazing how easy it seems to be for us to win against Rangers in Glasgow in the eye of some.

Every wonder why we’ve not been doing it more consistently?  

Cagey management....as much as the fluctuation of good and average players over the years. 

Money separates the clubs but if money was the deciding factor, why have we won there in the past?  Give me a management team when they have the tools(which I think we have in part just now) who push their team, who make them believe without doubt they can win more often v the Old Firm.

You won’t know until you try. I love employees at Hearts who want to overcome the odds and don’t make excuses. Too often our coaches have went into their defensive minded shells and we end up with another uninspiring, toothless performance. 

Bazzas right boot

Hopefully he's not slept in for his test today. 

Be a bad start. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

ScandinavianJambo
12 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

maybe don’t read threads that upset you then? When Hearts lose I’ve no doubt on a forum for discussing all things Hearts,  people will have a say. I support Hearts not one person employed by the club and if I feel their is a weak link within the club holding us back then it should be discussed. At the moment everything has clicked or fallen into place this season and the club has at last given the fans the team playing entertaining football we all crave. Long May it continue. 
PS I’d take a draw tomorrow 👍

I want us to win but would take a draw too 👌. However, if we loose life will not end (I will be in a grump though 😏). 

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I’m on my phone on a break from work so doing the figures in my head but the ratio of us to Livi as well as the ratio of Rangers to us both look to be in the 4-5 range?

Not far off. 

We're 3. 1 x livl. 

Rangers are 5.6 times ours. 

Celtic 6.5 times. 

If you average the weekly salary its a bit more dramatic, or looks more dramatic. 

Livi at £800 odd quid

£2.6k for us

£12.3k for rangers 

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not far off. 

We're 3. 1 x livl. 

Rangers are 5.6 times ours. 

Celtic 6.5 times. 

If you average the weekly salary its a bit more dramatic, or looks more dramatic. 

Livi at £800 odd quid

£2.6k for us

£12.3k for rangers 

The ratio stuff doesn't work really, it might even be that we should be doing better.  It really depends what the base level is for a footballer if it is to be judged properly.  At the bottom and top end of anything you get less for what you pay.  A £10 can of beer isn't twice as good as a £5 can.  A can of beer for £0.75 or £1.50 will be much the same too.  If you hire footballers for £100 quid a week, doubling your wage bill will make little difference.  They will still be shite.

I think if you double our average salary, you would get a more drastic improvement than doubling it at Rangers.  But I have no idea really.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, WageThief said:

The ratio stuff doesn't work really, it might even be that we should be doing better.  It really depends what the base level is for a footballer if it is to be judged properly.  At the bottom and top end of anything you get less for what you pay.  A £10 can of beer isn't twice as good as a £5 can.  A can of beer for £0.75 or £1.50 will be much the same too.  If you hire footballers for £100 quid a week, doubling your wage bill will make little difference.  They will still be shite.

I think if you double our average salary, you would get a more drastic improvement than doubling it at Rangers.  But I have no idea really.

Agreed. 

However, It also means our top end guys ( maybe 4/5 key players) are maybe getting £7- £9k. 

Rangers around £25-£30k

Thats when you may  get the difference of quality you are alluding to, also top dollar when selling. 

For livi, thier top end guys might be on £2-£3k. 

It generally shouldn't tell over 1 game, football isn't played on a spread sheet, but over a season it should show and generally does. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed. 

However, It also means our top end guys ( maybe 4/5 key players) are maybe getting £7- £9k. 

Rangers around £25-£30k

Thats when you may  get the difference of quality you are alluding to, also top dollar when selling. 

For livi, thier top end guys might be on £2-£3k. 

It generally shouldn't tell over 1 game, football isn't played on a spread sheet, but over a season it should show and generally does. 

Not sure our top wage would extend so high, nor Livi.  I'd imagine we have many on 3-5k a week.   If we had anyone on 9k a week, it would need to be one player who was a sort of Maradona figure.  I suppose it could work if it was Gordon.  If you have 4 or 5 key players on a high wage, it becomes a slippery slope towards having 11 players on that wage.  And any mistakes or injuries re key players becomes an absolute nightmare.

But yeah I think the getting what you pay for range is about 1-10k per week.  Doubling a wage in this range is making a big difference for me.  If we could pay 18 players 10k a week I'd expect us to win the league.  We almost did that while being managed by a revolving door and a fax machine.

17 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

I'm no Robbie fan but he is doing a fantastic job......I just wish he had stayed and not left for that pile of pish down south....That was a huge mistake....But it is all in the past.....Time to move on and get behind the club from top to bottom win lose or draw 

You think there might have been a reason he left? I'll present one aeroplane towing a banner as my first piece of evidence for the defense 

Forever Hearts
11 minutes ago, Phage said:

You think there might have been a reason he left? I'll present one aeroplane towing a banner as my first piece of evidence for the defense 

He left to double/treble his salary and move up the managerial ladder in England. It was absolutely nothing to do with a few boys hiring a plane with a daft banner. 

13 minutes ago, Phage said:

If he left because of that then that’s more of a slight on him than the fans. If that’s how he is then he doesn’t have much of a future in management. 

Edited by GinRummy

17 hours ago, south morroccan said:

THIS!

25 minutes ago, Phage said:

Not that old Chesnut again! 🙄

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hopefully he's not slept in for his test today. 

Be a bad start. 

Up swotting all night. Been through ‘football tactics made simple’ several times. I’m optimistic. 

2 hours ago, WageThief said:

Your last point is true imo. 

11 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Thier turnover is generally running about £30m, over double ours. 

The played the of In the ucl. 

They've won their league 6 times in the past ten years. 

They make the group stages regularly of the European comps. 

Their club ranking in 57, we are not in the top 300.

How is that even close to the stature of Hearts? 

We've been in the Scottish championship twice in that time. 

If Hearts get  near that level we'll all be happy and quite rightly have higher expectations. 

Malmo are far nearer the level of Rangers than us and compete as they should with the likes of rangers. 

So your idea of a clubs 'stature' is mainly based on turnover.  Can you find out what the Old Firm's turnover is and compare it to Malmo's? Cheers mate.

3 minutes ago, WageThief said:

You agree I have no idea? 😀

I believe it’s the ‘law of marginal returns’ that kicks in but I have little idea. 😄

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, WageThief said:

Not sure our top wage would extend so high, nor Livi.  I'd imagine we have many on 3-5k a week.   If we had anyone on 9k a week, it would need to be one player who was a sort of Maradona figure.  I suppose it could work if it was Gordon.  If you have 4 or 5 key players on a high wage, it becomes a slippery slope towards having 11 players on that wage.  And any mistakes or injuries re key players becomes an absolute nightmare.

But yeah I think the getting what you pay for range is about 1-10k per week.  Doubling a wage in this range is making a big difference for me.  If we could pay 18 players 10k a week I'd expect us to win the league.  We almost did that while being managed by a revolving door and a fax machine.

Aye, I'm guessing figures. £9k could be a tad high. 

Although, Wouldn't surprise me if guys like Gordon, Benni even Boyce are on around £5-£8k ish, especially if you throw in win bonuses, appearance, goals, assists then league / Cup progress bonus. 

I was told that Hanlon is on around £7.5k a week at hibs..... 

Lafferty, Naismith, Berra would have been high earners as well I imagine. Easily see them on around £6/7k

Yip, agree 2nd point. 

Regularly European football ( group stages) would be the bridge for that type of squad. 

lost in space

Not sure if I am allowed to quote from a "Mod deleted post" - if that's what it was. I have asterixed the word that may have been considered offensive (not a sweary word but not complimentary) so hope this post can be allowed.

The post was from SRB (who else?) and was quoting from Michael Smith - with the last sentence from SRB; as follows -

"we would never go for a draw, I don't think that's in the gaffers thoughts or the mentality of the squad we have here just now" 

Hopefully will silence a few ***** who bang on about us not playing to win under Bob.

--------------------------------------------

My point is that of course Bob wants us to win + and he tries to get us a win BUT in the past, he has not gone about it bravely. He has tried to keep possession/ stopped the wing backs crossing the half way line (particularly in first half)/ left Boyce on his own up front/ had no more than 2 players in opposition box at any one time.

I hope, now that he has better players, he can improve on his positivity, thereby giving us a better chance of a point/points.

That is why it is a huge test for Robbie Neilson!!!

lost in space
38 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Not sure if I am allowed to quote from a "Mod deleted post" - if that's what it was. I have asterixed the word that may have been considered offensive (not a sweary word but not complimentary) so hope this post can be allowed.

The post was from SRB (who else?) and was quoting from Michael Smith - with the last sentence from SRB; as follows -

"we would never go for a draw, I don't think that's in the gaffers thoughts or the mentality of the squad we have here just now" 

Hopefully will silence a few ***** who bang on about us not playing to win under Bob.

My point is that of course Bob wants us to win + and he tries to get us a win BUT in the past, he has not gone about it bravely. He has tried to keep possession/ stopped the wing backs crossing the half way line (particularly in first half)/ left Boyce on his own up front/ had no more than 2 players in opposition box at any one time.

I hope, now that he has better players, he can improve on his positivity, thereby giving us a better chance of a point/points.

Actually - not a deleted post of SRB - apologies to him. Found his post in the matchday thread - wasnt part of this thread.. My post stands though.

59 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, agree 2nd point. 

Regularly European football ( group stages) would be the bridge for that type of squad. 

that or a fantasy tv deal which tbf would make the league more watchable and competitive 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I believe it’s the ‘law of marginal returns’ that kicks in but I have little idea. 😄

It’s definitely a better way of putting it than me pretending I’d spent £10 on a can of beer!

Bazzas right boot

that or a fantasy tv deal which tbf would make the league more watchable and competitive 

I already have a fantasy TV deal. 

I'll pm you. 

Bazzas right boot

It’s definitely a better way of putting it than me pretending I’d spent £10 on a can of beer!

Tbf, is it not the law of diminishing returns? 

😂😂😂

We've gone all high brow. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, lost in space said:

Nope. 

However each time you post  you fail a test. 

Brick Tamland

Seems to have passed the first test of picking the same formation we have played so far and with the same personnel except Moore. 
Let’s hope the players are up for it and we start on the front foot and get ****ed right in about them.