Huge Test for Robbie Neilson

lost in space

39 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t go on and on about it though. I happen to think he has improved slightly. I’m certainly not waiting to slaughter him because that means we’ll have had another utterly embarrassing result and no one wants that, even the rabids. It’s only come up in this thread because people fear what his approach will be on Saturday. Read the thread. Every second poster is concerned about this.

The difference here is Jo Savage with his feet under the table and a real proper transfer window where Neilson’s and Leveins previous damage was virtually undone In About 6 weeks.That’s all that’s happened here. Same manager, better players, Savage in overall charge, better results. Anyone who thinks Neilson has had some kind of epiphany is deluded. We’re going along fine. He is safe for now. We could still do better but he’ll do for now.

Could also be that Neilson appreciates the mindset that Savage has instilled and has grown into the role i.e. (and for everything that happened I still like Levein) Savage's vision is more dynamic than Levein's and he's embracing it?

I'm like you, not 100% that RN is the man to take us to the "next level" BUT so far so good and if RN can develop and grow and make us ruthless then happy days.

Given JS's overseeing role, RN must know he needs to produce. 

And that's not a bad thing, a constant sense of improvement.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

• Gambo

• lost in space

lost in space
19 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Guy who wanted Hibs to win the cup and gives Tynie a miss for the rugby telling other fans to stay away. Oh ma actual sides.

Mars, are you sure about the rugby? We all know about SRB being a hobo cup fan - but surely he wouldn't go to the rugby when he is such a Robbie/Jambo fanatic!!

I mean it doesn't make sense, him being on JKB 24/7, and choosing to go to a rugby game, rather than watch the team he pretends to love.

Well, I am shocked.

I am not sure I will ever be able to trust him again!!!

47 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t go on and on about it though. I happen to think he has improved slightly. I’m certainly not waiting to slaughter him because that means we’ll have had another utterly embarrassing result and no one wants that, even the rabids. It’s only come up in this thread because people fear what his approach will be on Saturday. Read the thread. Every second poster is concerned about this.

The difference here is Jo Savage with his feet under the table and a real proper transfer window where Neilson’s and Leveins previous damage was virtually undone In About 6 weeks.That’s all that’s happened here. Same manager, better players, Savage in overall charge, better results. Anyone who thinks Neilson has had some kind of epiphany is deluded. We’re going along fine. He is safe for now. We could still do better but he’ll do for now.

What a state.

6 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Mars, are you sure about the rugby? We all know about SRB being a hobo cup fan - but surely he wouldn't go to the rugby when he is such a Robbie/Jambo fanatic!!

I mean it doesn't make sense, him being on JKB 24/7, and choosing to go to a rugby game, rather than watch the team he pretends to love.

Well, I am shocked.

I am not sure I will ever be able to trust him again!!!

Read that on here a few times likes, however, I'm sure he'll be along in a bit to answer for himself.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

We’re going along fine. He is safe for now. We could still do better but he’ll do for now.

🤣 I don't have all the stats to hand but I'd put money on this being one of the best starts to a league season we've made for 30-40 years, maybe only bettered by Burley and his multi-million pound team of CL winners. How often do we go 8 undefeated at the start of the season, including playing Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen?

"Going along fine"

🤣

"He'll do for now"

🤣

🤣 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

🤣 I don't have all the stats to hand but I'd put money on this being one of the best starts to a league season we've made for 30-40 years, maybe only bettered by Burley and his multi-million pound team of CL winners. How often do we go 8 undefeated at the start of the season, including playing Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen?

"Going along fine"

🤣

"He'll do for now"

🤣

🤣 

We're 8 games in. Do you want Robbie knighted? 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Mars plastic said:

Guy who wanted Hibs to win the cup and gives Tynie a miss for the rugby telling other fans to stay away. Oh ma actual sides.

Tbh Some are probably already banned or in self exile until phoodle is ooT, so the job is already half done. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Arise, Sir Bobmeister!

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

How many times have we started a league campaign as well as this? Even with an easier fixture list to start with we've rarely done it. 05/06 (a better start) and 18/19 (not as good a start) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Nothing to praise anyone for though... just a regular start to the season..... going along fine.... 🤣

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

How many times have we started a league campaign as well as this? Even with an easier fixture list to start with we've rarely done it. 05/06 (a better start) and 18/19 (not as good a start) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Nothing to praise anyone for though... just a regular start to the season..... going along fine.... 🤣

And that's all we're doing, going along fine. Let's see where we are at Christmas.  

22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbh Some are probably already banned or in self exile until phoodle is ooT, so the job is already half done. 

Lost in space and Mars Plastic just itching to be able to say 'told you so' on Saturday night. 😏

7 minutes ago, Homme said:

We might win. We might lose or draw.

Not one of these results will have an overbearing impact on our season.

I remember once where a 2-0 win at an icebound Ibrox had the whole squad thinking ‘this is on’ and it propelled us to within 7 minutes of the title. Winning there would have belief surging through us. No impact my arse.

Losing ? We’ll let’s see the manner of the loss and how we recover before we declare it as ‘no impact’

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Lost in space and Mars Plastic just itching to be able to say 'told you so' on Saturday night. 😏

Space boy is probably wetting himself at the thought of it. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I remember once where a 2-0 win at an icebound Ibrox had the whole squad thinking ‘this is on’ and it propelled us to within 7 minutes of the title. Winning there would have belief surging through us. No impact my arse.

Losing ? We’ll let’s see the manner of the loss and how we recover before we declare it as ‘no impact’

Climb down off the ceiling. 

Calm down to a panic for your own sake. 

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

And that's all we're doing, going along fine. Let's see where we are at Christmas.  

Well, fingers crossed it's all gone to shit and Bobs sacked, eh? 

Edited by Smith's right boot

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Climb down off the ceiling. 

Calm down to a panic for your own sake. 

I’m on the couch chilling. Your just not enjoying the fact I just posted

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, luckydug said:

It's a risky strategy to go for it when we're in such a good position but given our historical record through there they probably think they're on safe ground so have chosen this moment to launch a new Robbie Oot campaign, having no doubt been frustrated by our good start and the lack of success of their last Robbie Oot campaign.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m on the couch chilling. Your just not enjoying the fact I just posted

Neither enjoying or not enjoying your post. 

It comes across as insanity tho. 

You are putting Way too much on this result and setting yourself up to be disappointed. 

If we win there is no basis to think we will go and win the league, likewise if we lose there is no evidence to suggest we'll crash and burn. 

No one knows what will happen either way going forward but Ofc we all want a good result for the points and momentum. 

Just seems like a lot of stress to put on yourself. 

You seem to be setting yourself up to be pissed of on Saturday or really happy only to be burst in the next few weeks. 

Fair doos tho, some folk like the emotional roller-coaster. 

Just try and save all the shite from hitting here if we do get beat tho. 😉

Fozzyonthefence
51 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

"Going along fine"

🤣

"He'll do for now"

🤣

🤣 

We were going along fine after 8 games under Levein a few seasons ago too, how did that pan out again?  Let’s wait and see what happens before we start nominating him for manager of the year.  No trophies or European places get handed out after 8 games.  It’s a very good start to the season, nothing more. 

Guest ToqueJambo

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We were going along fine after 8 games under Levein a few seasons ago too, how did that pan out again?  Let’s wait and see what happens before we start nominating him for manager of the year.  No trophies or European places get handed out after 8 games.  It’s a very good start to the season, nothing more. 

That was my point

12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Neither enjoying or not enjoying your post. 

It comes across as insanity tho. 

You are putting Way too much on this result and setting yourself up to be disappointed. 

If we win there is no basis to think we will go and win the league, likewise if we lose there is no evidence to suggest we'll crash and burn. 

No one knows what will happen either way going forward but Ofc we all want a good result for the points and momentum. 

Just seems like a lot of stress to put on yourself. 

You seem to be setting yourself up to be pissed of on Saturday or really happy only to be burst in the next few weeks. 

Fair doos tho, done folk like the emotional roller-coaster. 

Just try and save all the shite from hitting here if we do get beat tho. 😉

I’ve not set myself up for anything. I’ve not predicted anything. I’m not expecting to win really but we’ve got a chance to set a marker down here and light the touch paper.

Ill be pissed off on Saturday if we go through there and sit in and get hammered. I’ll not be the only one. A narrow defeat if we’ve actually competed, or a draw and it’s simply move on and keep doing what we’ve been doing and accept we’re not quite there yet. A win is massive for morale and belief IMO.

Im certainly not hoping or waiting to get beat so I can come on here crowing about it. I rarely venture on here after a defeat of any kind in fact.

if you don’t think this game is a key indicator then hey, that’s up to you

Edited by JimmyCant

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Nobody expects trophies or European place just now. 

However, if he does at least as good as last time we'll have Europe to look forward to at the seasons end. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I’ve not set myself up for anything. I’ve not predicted anything. I’m not expecting to win really but we’ve got a chance to set a marker down here and light the touch paper.

Ill be pissed off on Saturday if we go through there and sit in and get hammered. I’ll not be the only one. A narrow defeat if we’ve actually competed, or a draw and it’s simply move on and keep doing what we’ve been doing. A win is massive for morale and belief IMO.

Im certainly not hoping or waiting to get beat so I can come on here crowing about it. I rarely venture on here after a defeat of any kind in fact.

We won't sit in. We might get pinned back at times though. My hope is we simply aim to control the game the way we did against D Utd. It won't be easy and even in that game D Utd had a wee spell where they threatened us, so Rangers are likely to have 2-3 times more spells like that at least unless we really do play out of our skins. The key is not to concede or do anything rash, like get sent off for a silly tackle, in the first 30 mins or so. Then anything's possible.

Honestly I'm about as optimistic as I've ever been before an away OF game. I expect to get beat or draw at best but I also think we can win. I suspect they will try to negate Beni's influence, maybe even try to take him out, and put pressure on someone like Cochrane. But I'm optimistic because we have a number of players who can hurt them and Beni and Haring (or even Devlin) have the ability to control the game in the middle or at least ensure we're not overrun. As always vs the OF we'll need a great team performance and some luck to win.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We won't sit in. We might get pinned back at times though. My hope is we simply aim to control the game the way we did against D Utd. It won't be easy and even in that game D Utd had a wee spell where they threatened us, so Rangers are likely to have 2-3 times more spells like that at least unless we really do play out of our skins. The key is not to concede or do anything rash, like get sent off for a silly tackle, in the first 30 mins or so. Then anything's possible.

Honestly I'm about as optimistic as I've ever been before an away OF game. I expect to get beat or draw at best but I also think we can win. I suspect they will try to negate Beni's influence, maybe even try to take him out, and put pressure on someone like Cochrane. But I'm optimistic because we have a number of players who can hurt them and Beni and Haring (or even Devlin) have the ability to control the game in the middle or at least ensure we're not overrun. As always vs the OF we'll need a great team performance and some luck to win.

Getting pinned back at times and having to defend very well is a given. But we need to use the ball well when we have it. We need to keep it as well as we can. We need to have the ability and the willingness to go and try and hurt them and we need to stop them controlling the game for long spells. We need to get out as quick as we can and with a plan and a purpose. If we sit there with a 5 and a 4 right in front of them and let the game be played in our own half, well have no out ball and we’ll get beat, probably by a margin.

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Folk on here go on about needing players that don't fear the OF and then declare any league title ambitions being ridiculous. Guff.

We're unlikely to win a title most seasons but we should have that ambition all the same. All those going on about resources should look at our payroll from two years ago compared to the rest of the league. In terms of multiples we're the same multiple ahead of Livi as the OF are ahead of us.

Are we? Can you quote the numbers?

Hackney Hearts
40 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If we win there is no basis to think we will go and win the league

Not quite true, if you like your history stats.

As I mentioned a few days ago on another thread, the last time we won our first 2 fixtures against the OF was 1959-60.

When we won the league.

Last time before that? 1957-58.

We also managed it in 1894-95 and 1896-97.

Anybody see a pattern there...?

Hackney Hearts

I remember once where a 2-0 win at an icebound Ibrox had the whole squad thinking ‘this is on’ and it propelled us to within 7 minutes of the title. Winning there would have belief surging through us.

I remember it well, and I agree.

Yes technically it's just another 3 points, but some 3 points give you far more momentum than others. 

7 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

I remember it well, and I agree.

Yes technically it's just another 3 points, but some 3 points give you far more momentum than others. 

Indeed and it goes without saying that 3 points at home to Dundee is just as important in the grand scheme of things.Also important is your rivals NOT getting 3 points when perhaps they should or when they are playing each other, but yes, this would be a massive “3 points” if we can get them

Edited by JimmyCant

Thankfully Joe Savage and others at the club are showing more ambition than Frank or Tosh. 

Toque is an Uber fan and dreamer. Well done Toque. 

4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Folk on here go on about needing players that don't fear the OF and then declare any league title ambitions being ridiculous. Guff.

We're unlikely to win a title most seasons but we should have that ambition all the same. All those going on about resources should look at our payroll from two years ago compared to the rest of the league. In terms of multiples we're the same multiple ahead of Livi as the OF are ahead of us.

28 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Are we? Can you quote the numbers?

The stats of this site would suggest that is not the case. This is average first team player wage rather than total payroll.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/547202/average-annual-first-team-player-salaray-football-clubs-scottish-premiership/

Happy to be shown other figures @Led Tasso. Often hard to pin down exact figures for these things.

While it doesn't look like the multiple is the same for Livi to us, as us to the Old Firm, we have clearly underperformed our budget regularlly.

Hysterical pish.

We haven't even played each team once yet.

14 minutes ago, Homme said:

Hysterical pish.

I’m struggling to see where your post has a relevance to mine. But don’t worry about it. I cared for about the length of time it took to answer you 

Hackney Hearts
20 minutes ago, Homme said:

Hysterical pish.

True, we've only played 8 games (unbeaten). But if we win the 9th, away to the champions, I don't think it's hysterical to suggest it will "have an impact" on the rest of our season. Seems something of an understatement if anything.

As a fixture, 1st against 2nd, it has more weight psychologically. Pretending it's just another game is disingenuous IMO.

Of course it's not the end of the world if we lose, we'll still be ahead of where most of thought we'd be before the season started. But we do have a hell of a lot to gain if we get a result.

Forever Hearts
5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Well, fingers crossed it's all gone to shit and Bobs sacked, eh? 

Nope. You really need to drop your guard when it comes to RN and accept that he'll receive criticism. You come across as his special fan boy on here. 

There will be nothing better than the sound of the hun crowd getting on their team’s backs, whilst mental jambos in the corner are giving it laldy and wee nippy devlin is roaming the pitch with a massive grin on his face. Priceless 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Nope. You really need to drop your guard when it comes to RN and accept that he'll receive criticism. You come across as his special fan boy on here. 

I've criticised him a lot. 

I even thought he should be sacked after Brora. 

The difference is I am not wanting/ willing him to fail just so they can be right. 

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I've criticised him a lot. 

I even thought he should be sacked after Brora. 

The difference is I am not wanting/ willing him to fail just so they can be right. 

And I don't know a single Hearts fan who wants him to fail, so that is all in your head. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Not quite true, if you like your history stats.

As I mentioned a few days ago on another thread, the last time we won our first 2 fixtures against the OF was 1959-60.

When we won the league.

Last time before that? 1957-58.

We also managed it in 1894-95 and 1896-97.

Anybody see a pattern there...?

Also under Bobs first spell. 

👍

**** it, I'm in. Win at Ibrox the league is as good as done! 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

And I don't know a single Hearts fan who wants him to fail, so that is all in your head. 

You've missed th posts on here where posters have said just that them. 

Many said the same about CL. 

They are on here. It has been posted. 

Also, if folk  start threads like "Bobs failures for the season" then their thoughts are clear, despite their perceived subtlety. 

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Also, if folk  start threads like "Bobs failures for the season" then their thoughts are clear, despite their perceived subtlety. 

Can you put these posts up for me, I can't find them, I've search this topic up and down, maybe some posters are invisible to me, thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I'd agree that broadly speaking we will have a much higher average salary than Livi, St mirren etc - but in my opinion the difference between a £1k a week player and a £3k a week player is quite different to a £3k / week versus a £9k a week player - and it increases exponentially as the salary goes up.  e.g. our Gino v ryan Kent 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

Can you put these posts up for me, I can't find them, I've search this topic up and down, maybe some posters are invisible to me, thanks in advance.

No, I did at the time as did other posters. 

Been done several times, find them yourself if you have the will. 

Forever Hearts
17 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If you can show me a post where a genuine Hearts fan on here posted the words "I want Robbie Neilson to fail as Hearts manager" then I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. 

And don't be quoting somebody saying "I wouldn't mind losing the next game if it meant getting rid of him". That's entirely different.  

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Jim Panzee said:

I'd agree that broadly speaking we will have a much higher average salary than Livi, St mirren etc - but in my opinion the difference between a £1k a week player and a £3k a week player is quite different to a £3k / week versus a £9k a week player - and it increases exponentially as the salary goes up.  e.g. our Gino v ryan Kent 

I agree. 

It then narrows a gain. 

The difference between a £100k a player and £150k player can be indistinguishable. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

If you can show me a post where a genuine Hearts fan on here posted the words "I want Robbie Neilson to fail as Hearts manager" then I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. 

And don't be quoting somebody saying "I wouldn't mind losing the next game if it meant getting rid of him". That's entirely different.  

As above, it was posted several times. 

One prominent poster wanted us to lose so he'd be sacked quicker  and he could get it up other Hearts fans. 

It has been requoted several times to prove this point by myself and others. 

Also, Not minding Hearts to lose so he'd be sacked is also exactly that. 

Wanting us to fail so he'd get sacked!

That definitely counts. :vrface:

The mental gymnastics is amazing on here. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

As above, it was posted several times. 

One prominent poster wanted us to lose so he'd be sacked quicker  and he could get it up other Hearts fans. 

It has been requoted several times to prove this point by myself and others. 

Also, Not minding Hearts to lose so he'd be sacked is also exactly that. 

Wanting us to fail so he'd get sacked!

That definitely counts. :vrface:

The mental gymnastics is amazing on here. 

a very good attempt by the OP to generate debate - as proven by 6 pages of reply. 

am amused by the statement "will Nielsen revert to his previous chicken hearted tactics". No manager in the world would ever motivate their team just before kick off by saying "lads! do your damnedest to play chicken hearted!".

more likely to ask their players to defend as a team when they lose possession, when winning it back, try keep hold of the ball and make the opposition chase the game, quieten the opposition fans / get them on their players backs, try score from a set piece etc - i.e. be pragmatic

I don't see this as a test of Nielsen at all. We've done OK v the green arse cheek, aberdeen and hibs....we'll probably do 'ok' v the rangers - a closer game than usual, not many goals in it, no capitulation, a draw or one team loses by a goal.