Huge Test for Robbie Neilson

lost in space

56 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Did you read the OP?

He does have something to prove - in my opinion of course. That is, that he will show confidence in the new system that he has developed - and we attack when we can, rather than just keeping possession and only stopping Sevco.

Yes, he has won at Ibrox before, with a different team against a different sevco team.

We totally agree on your last para.

It is a test for Neilson, again in my opinion, that he is willing to fully compete.

I don't expect us to win but I expect us to try to (unlike recent Parkhead game).

So you want to reference the past. You want to identify the games in the psst that count. Apparently the Celtic away game we lost in the league cup. But you think it is totally irrelevant when other posters reference previous games against Rangers Neilson has won. Its almost as if you are trying to set out to find ways of 'failing' Neilson against your stupid tests. I think I'll stick with not judging his entire performance on the basis of one game away to a team with far greater resources.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

• Gambo

• lost in space

19 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

It's difficult when we go there as Rangers on average are allowed to commit 15 fouls before a card is produced, whereas everyone else is around 5-7 fouls, if we finally get a level playing field then I see no reason not to give this mob a good game, if Robbie gets them up for it...  (tbh, you shouldn't need to get players up for a game like this)

As much as the booking to foul ratios., the penalties, reds, offside - the big stuff - what bothers me is the little decisions that never get a mention.  A thow-in the wrong way, a 50/50 in the air, a tug on our CFs jersey not punished etc.

These are all things that lose us territory, which is so important.  Seen it so many times.  We're under the cosh, but do well to feed our CF.  They ask for a foul, they get it, we're back under the cosh.  Those "wee" decisions kill you through there.

Anyway, even on a level playing field, we've no right to think we SHOULD be winning at Ibrox, given the disparity.  That's not to say we can't though.

For me, this game isn't make or break but a positive performance and hopefully result could be really massive.  If we get beat, we go on to Dundee and win and the sane among us realise "yeah we're playing for third really".  But we win... well we can dream a bit longer and that'd be nice!!

lost in space
19 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

So you want to reference the past. You want to identify the games in the psst that count. Apparently the Celtic away game we lost in the league cup. But you think it is totally irrelevant when other posters reference previous games against Rangers Neilson has won. Its almost as if you are trying to set out to find ways of 'failing' Neilson against your stupid tests. I think I'll stick with not judging his entire performance on the basis of one game away to a team with far greater resources.

Oh dear, I see you have had a "balance bypass".

I will try to explain to you -

Celtic game was this season;

Win at ibrox was previous seasons.

Hope that helps.

As for your last sentence - can you quote anything i have posted, that even comes slightly close to me suggesting this??

No, I thought not.

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

And ffs it generally wouldn’t matter if the refs walked out in a Rangers/Celtic strip because our performances are usually absolutely pitiful. 

Why the ffs from your end? Where have I disagreed about our performances being pitiful through there? It was you that just started spraffing total shite out of the blue about ‘blaming the ref to make me feel better.’ Just condescending slavering based on what you’ve made up in your head. 

Edited by GinRummy

8 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Oh dear, I see you have had a "balance bypass".

I will try to explain to you -

Celtic game was this season;

Win at ibrox was previous seasons.

Hope that helps.

As for your last sentence - can you quote anything i have posted, that even comes slightly close to me suggesting this??

No, I thought not.

You think you are balanced? You admit in your OP that you aren't balanced when it comes to Neilson, "I have never been a fan of Neilson". Then you go on to use phrases like "chicken hearted" which is hardly the sign of someone who is balanced.

Where have you suggested that you will judge him on one game? Are you kidding? Your OP is literally about how the performances up until know don't matter and it is Saturday in isolation that is the "huge test". If you want to have that idiotic view, that's fine. But at least own it.

Forever Hearts
12 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Why the ffs from your end? Where have I disagreed about our performances being pitiful through there? It was you that just started spraffing total shite out of the blue about ‘blaming the ref to make me feel better.’ Just condescending slavering based on what you’ve made up in your head. 

And I'm right. You and plenty of other Hearts fans use the refs as a convenient get out for crap Hearts performances in Glasgow. This thread is littered with it. I'd rather be realistic and admit that our displays very rarely merit a point, never mind all three. 

And the "ffs" was only a return of serve for you using the same phrase. 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

And I'm right. You and plenty of other Hearts fans use the refs as a convenient get out for crap Hearts performances in Glasgow. This thread is littered with it. I'd rather be realistic and admit that our displays very rarely merit a point, never mind all three. 

And the "ffs" was only a return of serve for you using the same phrase. 

I never blamed the ref for us losing a game. You continuing to make up lies doesn’t make it the truth. 

lost in space
3 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

You think you are balanced? You admit in your OP that you aren't balanced when it comes to Neilson, "I have never been a fan of Neilson". Then you go on to use phrases like "chicken hearted" which is hardly the sign of someone who is balanced.

Where have you suggested that you will judge him on one game? Are you kidding? Your OP is literally about how the performances up until know don't matter and it is Saturday in isolation that is the "huge test". If you want to have that idiotic view, that's fine. But at least own it.

Ah, I see you aren't very good at reading/ then thinking/ then producing a logical opinion.

Fine, carry on. The more you post - the more you show how unbalanced your views are.

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how skewed, and I am entitled to mine.

I hope the rest of day is not so angry for you.

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, bmeikle said:

Just looked again at the highlights of that 3-1 Ibrox match in Oct 2018 when we were top of the league.... It didn't look like our approach/mindset was pitiful - we had a number excellent chances, which we failed to convert - and the stats were pretty even. Two of the goals we lost were howlers from individual players - Mitchell at fullback for the second, Zlamal for the third - while the opener (after 3 mins!) was that horrendous offside trap at a free kick, leading to the surreal sight of a seven-on-one for Rangers against Bobby. Let's not do something like that again, please.

Oh and Michael Smith getting a red card in 55 mins obviously didn't help!

Edited by Hackney Hearts

The Old Tolbooth
53 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

As much as the booking to foul ratios., the penalties, reds, offside - the big stuff - what bothers me is the little decisions that never get a mention.  A thow-in the wrong way, a 50/50 in the air, a tug on our CFs jersey not punished etc.

These are all things that lose us territory, which is so important.  Seen it so many times.  We're under the cosh, but do well to feed our CF.  They ask for a foul, they get it, we're back under the cosh.  Those "wee" decisions kill you through there.

Anyway, even on a level playing field, we've no right to think we SHOULD be winning at Ibrox, given the disparity.  That's not to say we can't though.

For me, this game isn't make or break but a positive performance and hopefully result could be really massive.  If we get beat, we go on to Dundee and win and the sane among us realise "yeah we're playing for third really".  But we win... well we can dream a bit longer and that'd be nice!!

Absolutely agree with you 100% on that one mate, many times the momentum has swung against us both home and away because of fouls they get that are never given the other way, it infuriates me immensely! 

We may well get edged but I hope there’s an indication in change of approach to these games. 

You can certainly argue that in the past we lacked the players to be more attacking in mindset (and to point out we are currently still growing as a team) but we need to test ourselves.

Fear is always the bigger enemy.  

Someone has to start somewhere to change the mental approach for the long term and match our ambitious Sporting Director’s outlook. I’d say we have players in there right now who look single minded and will want that matched by the manager. 

Forever Hearts
40 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I never blamed the ref for us losing a game. You continuing to make up lies doesn’t make it the truth. 

So what are you saying? Is it the Hearts performance or the refs performance that means we usually leave Glasgow with nothing? 

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Ah, I see you aren't very good at reading/ then thinking/ then producing a logical opinion.

Fine, carry on. The more you post - the more you show how unbalanced your views are.

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how skewed, and I am entitled to mine.

I hope the rest of day is not so angry for you.

Win - win for you on sat. 

We win you can pretend you're happy, post back handed praise and such on here. 

Get beat-your Bob failures thread can be risen from the ashes and you can go to town. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Yip, said as much above. 

The small decisions are the game changers. 

Most won't notice tho. 

lost in space
11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Get beat-your Bob failures thread can be risen from the ashes and you can go to town. 

I get criticised if I say anything against Bob.

Now I am getting criticised for praising Bob (presumably cos it isnt considered sincere or unquestioning).

You have to laugh................ 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, lost in space said:

I get criticised if I say anything against Bob.

Now I am getting criticised for praising Bob (presumably cos it isnt considered sincere or unquestioning).

You have to laugh................ 

We do. 👍

19 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

TBF, if we do get beat, it may not be Neilson's fault.

Which is what a lot of posters are already saying.  This is a test, for the team and also the manager.

If we play the way we have been and still get beat, then fair doos.

As others have already posted, pleasantly surprised by our good form and happy to have Neilson doing well, whilst at the same time proving me (them) wrong.

But any analysis will naturally be critical in some respects, be that of the team and/or the manager.

If you don't do critical analysis, then that's mentally not healthy, IMO.

40 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

So what are you saying? Is it the Hearts performance or the refs performance that means we usually leave Glasgow with nothing? 

Our performances through there have been largely poor in recent years. That doesn’t mean the ref’s treat both teams fairly at Ibrox and parkhead.  

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Scottish Cup game. Amoruso took out Darren Jackson and denied him a clear goal scoring opportunity. Ref bottled it to send him off. The ref had nowhere to hide as the game was live on Sky.

Strangely I’ve forgiven Amoruso for that one

On 12/10/2021 at 11:07, lost in space said:

I am delighted with our start to the season. Fantastic signings - AND positive tactics from our manager, home and away.

I have never been a fan of Neilson as a coach due to his "possession without progression" tactics and didnt think he would last until xmas - but he does seem to have changed our playing style.  He certainly deserves credit and the fans backing for his league tactics this season, until now.

So far though, all of our league games against the bigger clubs (Celtic, Aberdeen, Hobos) have been at home - where we have performed well and attacked when we could.

The only away game against a top team has been the League Cup game against Celtic (losing 3-2). The result flattered us and our first half performance was one of the worst ever.

SO, this Saturday is a HUGE test for Neilson - will he return to the chicken hearted tactics of before?  Or will he show confidence in the present squad and push forward?

I dont think anybody expects us to attack for 90 minutes but I (and most fans surely) will want us to "have a go" without being suicidal. 

I dont expect a win. We might not even draw - but if we go out, trying to impose ourselves / show confidence / actually get players into the Sevco box and make chances + have shots on goal, he will go a long way in getting the doubters (like me) behind him.

i havnt been a fan of our manager but I could become one.

It’s a 50/50 for me what he does 

The cup game  at parkhead was the usual crap defensive display and Celtic could have scored 6. He should play the way we are playing go for the win …… I hate to say this but hibs at least have a go. Nothing to lose….. go for it cause if we sit back we will bet beat easily 

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Strangely I’ve forgiven Amoruso for that one

Yes, a lot of us have, shall we say, let that one run.

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yeah but it’s more the fact that you think neilsons got something to prove as though it’s this “test” which you’ve deliberately set up for him to fail. 

Hes not got anything to prove. He has been to ibrox and won as Hearts manager. So there’s no point to prove.

They are the champions and have 5x our budget to spend on players. Did you know that more money buys better players? So it’s not really a test and there’s no real expectations for us to go there and win. We are the massive underdogs in the game. And it will come down to the players individual performances a lot more than anything the manager does. Individual mistakes and fitness are typically the thing which that 5x gulf in budget makes the difference with. No tactical magician can bridge that gap we will need a bit of luck on the day and we need Rangers to not be at their best. 

I do agree I will be disappointed if we line up anything other than our 3-4-3 though. We’ve got to test that system against the best to see how good we are and if we go down 3-0 so be it we go again. 

Neilson has actually won a league with Rangers in it. Of all the things to have a go at him for (including all the made up things), his record vs Rangers probably isn't one of them.

lost in space
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson has actually won a league with Rangers in it. Of all the things to have a go at him for (including all the made up things), his record vs Rangers probably isn't one of them.

Another "hard of thinking".

Hello, is there anyone in??

Can you tell me WHO is having a go at Neilson?

Guest ToqueJambo
37 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Another "hard of thinking".

Hello, is there anyone in??

Can you tell me WHO is having a go at Neilson?

Someone who says this in relation to his record vs Rangers probably - "will he return to the chicken hearted tactics of before"

lost in space
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Someone who says this in relation to his record vs Rangers probably - "will he return to the chicken hearted tactics of before"

The chicken hearted comment was not relative to The Rangers games.

It was in relation to all games where Neilson has not been brave enough.

To be fair, Neilson has not had as strong a team as he has now.

Now that he has a strong team, the question remains - will he have the confidence in his system and players to compete - or will he bottle it?

33 minutes ago, lost in space said:

The chicken hearted comment was not relative to The Rangers games.

It was in relation to all games where Neilson has not been brave enough.

To be fair, Neilson has not had as strong a team as he has now.

Now that he has a strong team, the question remains - will he have the confidence in his system and players to compete - or will he bottle it?

It should be noted that Neilson has repeatedly, publicly stated that winning in Glasgow should be an ambition of this team and that he spent much of the match at Parkhead screaming at the team to stop sitting back and push forward.

Since then we've added McKay, Moore, and Devlin, none of whom will shrink from this game, I should think.

We sat back far too much at Parkhead but that wasn't a result of "chicken hearted tactics."

7 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

It should be noted that Neilson has repeatedly, publicly stated that winning in Glasgow should be an ambition of this team and that he spent much of the match at Parkhead screaming at the team to stop sitting back and push forward.

Since then we've added McKay, Moore, and Devlin, none of whom will shrink from this game, I should think.

We sat back far too much at Parkhead but that wasn't a result of "chicken hearted tactics."

It is only simpletons that have difficulty accepting that Celtic actually played well and had better players than us.  Other teams tried their approach and got skelped 5 and 6 zip around that time.  Any chance of winning firstly means you have to stop them running over you.

21 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Since Neilson came back we’ve had 3 big games in Glasgow. One of which he won with a decent managerial performance. One of which we lost narrowly after recovering from his very poor set up and attitude first half and one of which was a horrible performance and approach to the game which we lost handsomely. 

One win in Glasgow from 3, and the one wasn’t against the OF strongly suggests he has something to prove. We haven’t laid a finger on either of them in Glasgow since the Sow game and that was 6 years ago.

He most definitely has something to prove. It’s not just about him though. It’s about having players who can swagger in there and don’t over respect them in their heads. It’s about getting luck and it’s about getting a good official. Mostly it’s about intent and attitude. We might still get beat with good intentions and attitude. That’s a hell of a lot better than getting beat when all you’ve done is sit in and hope it didn’t happen.

3 points here and he lays the Brora ghost and gets almost everybody back behind him. That’s a massive incentive

Edited by JimmyCant

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Since Neilson came back we’ve had 3 big games in Glasgow. One of which he won with a decent managerial performance. One of which we lost narrowly after recovering from his very poor set up and attitude first half and one of which was a horrible performance and approach to the game which we lost handsomely. 

One win in Glasgow from 3, and the one wasn’t against the OF strongly suggests he has something to prove. We haven’t laid a finger on either of them in Glasgow since the Sow game and that was 6 years ago.

He most definitely has something to prove. It’s not just about him though. It’s about having players who can swagger in there and don’t over respect them in their heads. It’s about getting luck and it’s about getting a good official. Mostly it’s about intent and attitude. We might still get beat with good intentions and attitude. That’s a hell of a lot better than getting beat when all you’ve done is sit in and hope it didn’t happen.

3 points here and he lays the Brora ghost and gets almost everybody back behind him. That’s a massive incentive

:rofl:

21 hours ago, TheBigO said:

100%.

People sometimes forget that a throw in given one way rather than the other and the entire rest of that match is completely different. The tiniest of things completely affect the rest of the match.

4 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

100%.

People sometimes forget that a throw in given one way rather than the other and the entire rest of that match is completely different. The tiniest of things completely affect the rest of the match.

Momentum is massive, especially for the smaller team.  If you can relieve pressure or exert some yourself, you really don't need it broken up by crap decisions!!  Was a massive problem with Uche playing number 9, we couldn't build momentum ever as every time the ball went near him, rightly or wrongly, he got penalised.  That's a different story of course, but it was a big part of our issue.

21 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Someone has to start somewhere to change the mental approach for the long term and match our ambitious Sporting Director’s outlook. I’d say we have players in there right now who look single minded and will want that matched by the manager. 

Correct.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Inciteful as usual frank ?

More panic merchant stuff from you.  The result at the weekend won't make a lot of difference to us one way or the other.  How well Hearts do is going to be a result of the games we are expected to win.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

More panic merchant stuff from you.  The result at the weekend won't make a lot of difference to us one way or the other.  How well Hearts do is going to be a result of the games we are expected to win.

Au contraire mon ami. A win means we are real contenders in my book and I’d expect us to really push on from it. A draw or a narrow defeat and we’re still not in a bad place. A hammering could have a big impact on morale. This is our most important and significant league match since St Mirren away 2 seasons ago.

Im far from Panicking. What will be will be.

Edited by JimmyCant

13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Au contraire mon ami. A win means we are real contenders in my book and I’d expect us to really push on from it. A draw or a narrow defeat and we’re still not in a bad place. A hammering could have a big impact on morale. This is our most important and significant league match since St Mirren away 2 seasons ago.

Complete nonsense.  These games are not remotely comparable, and we have plenty of breathing space.

We are and never were contenders and the sooner you set your expectations somewhere more realistic the better.

3 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

100%.

Exactly. The throw in the old Rangers got in the 1996 league cup final when it should have gone our way, led to Gazza scoring and ending our comeback.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Complete nonsense.  These games are not remotely comparable, and we have plenty of breathing space.

We are and never were contenders and the sooner you set your expectations somewhere more realistic the better.

My expectations are probably around the same as yours. My ambitions and dreams are considerably higher than yours. You just settle happily for mediocrity chum and I’ll remain optimistic about being a wee bit better  than that. I hope more of our players have my attitude over yours 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

My expectations are probably around the same as yours. My ambitions and dreams are considerably higher than yours. You just settle happily for mediocrity chum and I’ll remain optimistic about being a wee bit better  than that. I hope more of our players have my attitude over yours 

Don't bet your mortgage on a Hearts league title. 👍

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

We've won at Ibrox v rangers  about 8 times in 35 years. 

If it takes winning at Ibrox ( which Bob has done already) for you to get back on side you should just give up until he leaves. 

You'll forever be spitting feathers. 

Everyone apart from the rabids are already behind him and still will be if we lose. 

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

A win is massive. A defeat, as others have said, isn’t the end of the world assuming most of our probable close rivals will also lose in Glasgow. Regardless of the result, we could barely hope for a better game than Dundee at home to follow this one. 

Saturday is indeed a huge test of Robbie Neilson's credentials. Especially in light of how the match at Parkhead went. The performance at Parkhead was miserable. The first half was flat out embarrassing. If  Sevco steamroll us in that fashion on Saturday then I will lose a lot of confidence in our manager. That maybe sounds harsh in light of the great start to the season we have had but it is how I feel. 

We don't have to win this match. But we do have to compete. If we lose then at least make things really uncomfortable for Sevco in the process. That seems to be all that most people on here are asking for. I don't think it's too high a bar to set or too much to ask for.

Over to you Robbie...............

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Although if you do fancy that -  £200,000 at the current odds of 50-1 would bring in £10 million.

Just saying.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Funnily enough I stuck a modest £10 at 66/1 on it a few weeks ago.😎

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

We've won at Ibrox v rangers  about 8 times in 35 years. 

If it takes winning at Ibrox ( which Bob has done already) for you to get back on side you should just give up until he leaves. 

You'll forever be spitting feathers. 

Everyone apart from the rabids are already behind him and still will be if we lose. 

It will take something special for him to be forgiven for Brora, Alloa, Birkirkara and the money spinner. 

There are plenty non rabids who still believe we could get a better manager. They can mostly be won round but if he’s got another result like any of those round the corner he’ll get slaughtered. Mind you wanted him sacked after Brora along with 95% of the fan base ?

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It will take something special for him to be forgiven for Brora, Alloa, Birkirkara and the money spinner. 

There are plenty non rabids who still believe we could get a better manager. They can mostly be won round but if he’s got another result like any of those round the corner he’ll get slaughtered. Mind you wanted him sacked after Brora along with 95% of the fan base ?

Aye but he never got sacked so I moved on.

I am not rabid about it, I am not going on and on and on about it.

Anyone waiting on slaughtering him should just stay away from Tynecastle.

Not wanted or needed.

If these types  can't see what he was building the first time and now this time then the problem is with them.

Folk on here go on about needing players that don't fear the OF and then declare any league title ambitions being ridiculous. Guff.

We're unlikely to win a title most seasons but we should have that ambition all the same. All those going on about resources should look at our payroll from two years ago compared to the rest of the league. In terms of multiples we're the same multiple ahead of Livi as the OF are ahead of us.

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not wanted or needed.

If these types  can't see what he was building the first time and now this time then the problem is with them.

I don’t go on and on about it though. I happen to think he has improved slightly. I’m certainly not waiting to slaughter him because that means we’ll have had another utterly embarrassing result and no one wants that, even the rabids. It’s only come up in this thread because people fear what his approach will be on Saturday. Read the thread. Every second poster is concerned about this.

The difference here is Jo Savage with his feet under the table and a real proper transfer window where Neilson’s and Leveins previous damage was virtually undone In About 6 weeks.That’s all that’s happened here. Same manager, better players, Savage in overall charge, better results. Anyone who thinks Neilson has had some kind of epiphany is deluded. We’re going along fine. He is safe for now. We could still do better but he’ll do for now.

Edited by JimmyCant

38 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not wanted or needed.

Guy who wanted Hibs to win the cup and gives Tynie a miss for the rugby telling other fans to stay away. Oh ma actual sides.