Huge Test for Robbie Neilson

lost in space

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Guaranteed this thread will be rammed with under cover Vermin and Neilson haters if we lose on Saturday. 

If Rangers play anywhere near their best they'll beat us, pure and simple.

For what it's worth i think we will lose on Saturday,  just my opinion. 

The bigger picture is that if we do lose it doesn't turn into a negative witch-hunt,  obv the usual ****wits on here will be all over any defeat but hopefully the vast majority will see it for what it is , a defeat at a very difficult venue. 

👍

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

• Gambo

• lost in space

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

A single goal defeat at parkhead a "debacle". 

Some folk are chapping at the bit to rip into Bob. 

It has got fk all to do with ripping into Robbie, it is calling that game what it was.

Powers that be and Robbie himself tbf thought that as well.

Thankfully we have folk at the club who no longer think/accept that a game in Glasgow v the OF is a free hit.

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

It has got fk all to do with ripping into Robbie, it is calling that game what it was.

Powers that be and Robbie himself tbf thought that as well.

Thankfully we have folk at the club who no longer think/accept that a game in Glasgow v the OF is a free hit.

Correct , time this free hit shite got binned,   let's bust a gut   but with a game plan also,     let's turn hearts into a team that no one likes playing g against   every game.........

losing at Ibrox is acceptable and so is anywhere else, if we have tried. not if we are beat before we have left the dressing room and the players are preserving their energy for the next game. we have a good team just now and the bench for the last game was heart warming, lets have your best at the week-end lads and wear the jersey with pride.

Morgaro Gomis

Without getting drawn into the tedious Neilson debate (people on both sides at fault imo) - I think the manner of performance in this game is important. 

I dont think many seriously expect a result, but we need to show we’ve learned from previous failures in Glasgow by starting fast and not allowing them to settle into a rhythm, dictating the pace of the game.  That is a sure fire way to get pumped. 

It’s about time we show a bit bottle through there - that’s not to say we should go gung-ho, or to say we should “go for it”, but you can be hard to break down and solid without camping on the edge of the box.

That’s the area we should be looking to get to and I believe we have the ability in the squad to do so. That all starts from team selection, we simply have to go with what has worked for us this season.

The two times we’ve changed formation have been the two games this season we’ve been at our poorest (or atleast the poorest results of the season). Celtic in the cup (result was respectable in the end, but only after we changed back to what suited us, rather than trying to nullify them) and Ross County away (where we went all out attack and had no balance at all).

32 minutes ago, lost in space said:

At last a bit of a light hearted post. You and your "Bob's Ultra" pal can be entertaining.

:lol: I've got no hard feelings towards you bud. 👍

I’m terrible at predicting results however I do predict this Hearts team will 100% have a go and bust blood vessels to try to beat Sevco.

12 minutes ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

Without getting drawn into the tedious Neilson debate (people on both sides at fault imo) - I think the manner of performance in this game is important. 

I dont think many seriously expect a result, but we need to show we’ve learned from previous failures in Glasgow by starting fast and not allowing them to settle into a rhythm, dictating the pace of the game.  That is a sure fire way to get pumped. 

It’s about time we show a bit bottle through there - that’s not to say we should go gung-ho, or to say we should “go for it”, but you can be hard to break down and solid without camping on the edge of the box.

That’s the area we should be looking to get to and I believe we have the ability in the squad to do so. That all starts from team selection, we simply have to go with what has worked for us this season.

The two times we’ve changed formation have been the two games this season we’ve been at our poorest (or atleast the poorest results of the season). Celtic in the cup (result was respectable in the end, but only after we changed back to what suited us, rather than trying to nullify them) and Ross County away (where we went all out attack and had no balance at all).

Good post. Disrupting their build up play has got us results at Tynie before, let’s do the same through there. Devlin and Beni’s styles surely makes that at least a bit easier. 

Edited by GinRummy

Let's hope he has learnt from the last 2 games in Glasgow and realises that sitting back and inviting the old firm on to you doesn't work. If he hasn't by now, he never will.

2 hours ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

Good post 👏

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Scott Leitch said:

Let's hope he has learnt from the last 2 games in Glasgow and realises that sitting back and inviting the old firm on to you doesn't work. If he hasn't by now, he never will.

Aye, because that's what he done. 

Do you think it was a written invitation? 

Fozzyonthefence
11 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

If there is even a sniff of us getting a result through there the ref will step in.

Happened so many times it’s become predictable. 

Absolute paranoia! The ref hardly ever determines the result through there - we do with our shite performances and are usually comprehensively gubbed. 

Happened so many times, aye?  List all the games / scores then at Ibrox where we’ve lost because of the ref. 

Guest ToqueJambo
12 hours ago, lost in space said:

SO, this Saturday is a HUGE test for Neilson - will he return to the chicken hearted tactics of before?  Or will he show confidence in the present squad and push forward?

Computer says WTF. Could have sworn we've gone to Ibrox in a crucial game under Neilson and got a result.

6 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Absolute paranoia! The ref hardly ever determines the result through there - we do with our shite performances and are usually comprehensively gubbed. 

Happened so many times, aye?  List all the games / scores then at Ibrox where we’ve lost because of the ref. 

You could probably mount a decent argument that any unjust decision could turn a game. Affects players I’ve no doubt. The game up here is corrupt and they’ve even been gallus enough to begin to admit it by saying they referee old firm games differently from other games. 

The ref may not have a huge effect but decisions going Rangers way at Ibrox and Celtic’s way at park head just make it all the more difficult when the odds are heavily stacked in their favour in the first place. 

Robbie wont be scared of Rangers.  He has a very positive record as manager against them for Hearts (3 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat?).  We will batter them, but only end up winnning 2-1.  Cochrane with the winner.

Forever Hearts
14 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You could probably mount a decent argument that any unjust decision could turn a game. Affects players I’ve no doubt. The game up here is corrupt and they’ve even been gallus enough to begin to admit it by saying they referee old firm games differently from other games. 

The ref may not have a huge effect but decisions going Rangers way at Ibrox and Celtic’s way at park head just make it all the more difficult when the odds are heavily stacked in their favour in the first place. 

Blaming the ref is just a convenient comfort blanket for when Hearts get beat in Glasgow. Yes, they will generally side with the home team but 99 times out of 100 the ref's performance doesn't matter because Hearts have put in another lacklustre, insipid, cowardly performance. But if it makes you feel better then crack on and give the ref both barrels. 

A_A wehatethehibs
7 hours ago, Spellczech said:

First things first - got to avoid the mistake Hibs made and get a red card. 

I'm afraid that's not possible. Craig Gordon comes out, catches a ball and the Rangers striker a yard away goes down. Penalty and red card for Gordon. The plans already been discussed between the referee and the Rangers players 

Bazzas right boot

It's a big test of our players Tbh. 

Guys like Moore, Beni, Devlin, Cochrane, Woodburn etc have been quite rightly getting praised on here, particularly in the last 2 wins v livi and well. 

However, Rangers are a different kettle of fish, especially at Ibrox. 

The midfield will need to be faster and braver on the ball and we'll need to defend more and better. 

Boyce, Woodburn, McKay must keep the ball better and not give it away in silly areas. 

It won't define our season as I think the Aberdeen and saints away will be the true acid tests but if we can get a result at Ibrox then our entire mentality could change. 

12 hours ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

That's a very good point.  One of my pet peevs with Robbie (was same with Levein) was how much he changes formation.  I much, much prefer us to have a formation (even if it's loose, lets face it 343/442/541 all that don't mean much in reality!) and a style and always try to impose that.  Identity to use a wanky football word.

I was us to go to Glasgow and say, this is the way we play, and we think it's good enough to beat you.  Of course the lads will need to adapt and box clever as they'll have less of the ball.

But then every game will have a different challenge, whether thats 10 men behind the ball or like Motherwell did leaving 3 up top and not letting our defenders have the ball (good idea by the way, I like that) or whatever.  So we need to be clever, but our overarching style shouldn't change imo.  It then comes down to bravery and decision making.

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Blaming the ref is just a convenient comfort blanket for when Hearts get beat in Glasgow. Yes, they will generally side with the home team but 99 times out of 100 the ref's performance doesn't matter because Hearts have put in another lacklustre, insipid, cowardly performance. But if it makes you feel better then crack on and give the ref both barrels. 

Do you ever read any posts you reply to or do you just decide what your going to type after the first few words?

I mean FFS you said yourself they usually side with Rangers yet seem to come to the ridiculous conclusion that is why I think we lose to them. 

Edited by GinRummy

20 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

If there is even a sniff of us getting a result through there the ref will step in.

Happened so many times it’s become predictable. 

I’m struggling to think of a game through there where we’ve played well, deserved something from the game but been done by the ref

Tom Hardy’s Dug

He has to set us up in our most effective formation and play as much as we can as we have been.

If it isn’t working he can change it once he says how the game is going.

To adjust the team because it’s Rangers just means that out of the blue the players will be being asked to play differently.

Wouldnt make any sense.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

It does matter. 

It matters a lot. 

Fans wil only concentrate on the big decisions but it's the small ones that matter the most. 

Letting a foul go-let's the of team not only attack but build up momentum. X 5 or 10 in a game. It's a game changer. 

Not booking them, means they can go in "hard" again and it stops the opposition player from playing their game - think brown on Harry, Miller and  in the championship season, McGregors karate kick. Gazza in the 4-3.

Not booking them or favouring them in the 50/50's build up pressure and momentum .

Then, reverse that. 

We don't get the 50/50's.

We get booked more easily. 

It stops us from imposing ourselves, it stops momentum in our favour. 

Any one with any football knowledge would acknowledge this unless you are Of or in this case a  rangers sympathiser. 

Throw in the big decisions at key times as well. 

Cowies goal chopped off, fyssas red card, miko gate. 

Then add in the fact refs have admitted the referee OF games different, the biggest acknowledgement that they officiate them differently, you are kidding yourself if you think that stops after that game. 

In glasgow as you quite rightly point out we aren't good enough in general so the small decisions are usually enough to turn a game but there has been big decisions especially at Tynecastle when the games were tight. 

The hibs boy deserved to be sent of last week, just so happens it was 1-0 to hibs and imo there is  no way if that's reversed the rangers player walks, he'd have been booked. Different point tho. 

In Europe the refs even this out, they don't get the majority of the 50/50's and are in general treated equal. 

They don't like it. 

Rangers and Celtic have better teams and at home are good, we have also been poor in our travels there but the refs unconscious or conscious bias help them. 

Even as a Hearts player now you're probably thinking I need to watch, I can't go in as I normally would.

Bob is probably training and coaching it as we post. 

Straight away we're at a disadvantage where as rangers players know it would need to be near enough assault to get a card. 

The fact managers need to think like that is a disgrace itself. 

I would love to beat them at Ibrox.

My Heart says we will win and my head says we will draw.

I'm hoping for a good game either way.

29 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m struggling to think of a game through there where we’ve played well, deserved something from the game but been done by the ref

There was a match around 2004 where De Vries was clean through on goal and was taken out.  Clear red for the Rangers defender but the ref bottled it.  Think we lost 4-2. But yeah I cant think of anymore.

Wasn’t that long ago Robbie prepared for a trip to Glasgow by training the players to play with 10 men.

He got a lot of stick for it.

He was right.

3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Wasn’t that long ago Robbie prepared for a trip to Glasgow by training the players to play with 10 men.

He was right.

He was wrong to say it publicly in my opinion. 

The Apprentice
33 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

He was right.

Wasn't it that he said he trained the team to play with 10 men when he knew Collum was the ref? 

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, UpThePark said:

I would love to beat them at Ibrox.

My Heart says we will win and my head says we will draw.

I'm hoping for a good game either way.

What does your body say? 

Hard boiled eggs and nuts
54 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It does matter. 

It matters a lot. 

Fans wil only concentrate on the big decisions but it's the small ones that matter the most. 

Letting a foul go-let's the of team not only attack but build up momentum. X 5 or 10 in a game. It's a game changer. 

Not booking them, means they can go in "hard" again and it stops the opposition player from playing their game - think brown on Harry, Miller and  in the championship season, McGregors karate kick. Gazza in the 4-3.

Not booking them or favouring them in the 50/50's build up pressure and momentum .

Then, reverse that. 

We don't get the 50/50's.

We get booked more easily. 

It stops us from imposing ourselves, it stops momentum in our favour. 

Any one with any football knowledge would acknowledge this unless you are Of or in this case a  rangers sympathiser. 

Throw in the big decisions at key times as well. 

Cowies goal chopped off, fyssas red card, miko gate. 

Then add in the fact refs have admitted the referee OF games different, the biggest acknowledgement that they officiate them differently, you are kidding yourself if you think that stops after that game. 

In glasgow as you quite rightly point out we aren't good enough in general so the small decisions are usually enough to turn a game but there has been big decisions especially at Tynecastle when the games were tight. 

The hibs boy deserved to be sent of last week, just so happens it was 1-0 to hibs and imo there is  no way if that's reversed the rangers player walks, he'd have been booked. Different point tho. 

In Europe the refs even this out, they don't get the majority of the 50/50's and are in general treated equal. 

They don't like it. 

Rangers and Celtic have better teams and at home are good, we have also been poor in our travels there but the refs unconscious or conscious bias help them. 

Even as a Hearts player now you're probably thinking I need to watch, I can't go in as I normally would.

Bob is probably training and coaching it as we post. 

Straight away we're at a disadvantage where as rangers players know it would need to be near enough assault to get a card. 

The fact managers need to think like that is a disgrace itself. 

I am starting to learn a thing or two about the OF duo on kickback and wow. Reading comments such as yours Smiths makes things a lot clearer, to me, their dominance in Scottish football, they really appear to be running the SFA, a fact that many south of the border seem completely oblivious to, myself included up until I started reading comments, such as this, on here. 
How this, apparent, hold over the SFA will ever be broken looks to be a fair way off, if at all, but then this makes watching Hearts and the rest of Scottish football and how they go about their business, hamstrung by these two, even more fascinating, hats off to all.

lost in space
10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Computer says WTF. Could have sworn we've gone to Ibrox in a crucial game under Neilson and got a result.

There is no logic in this post.

It's like saying that Raith Rovers were once ahead of Bayern Munich. The fact that they once were would not affect a game between these 2 teams now.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, lost in space said:

It's like saying that Raith Rovers were once ahead of Bayern Munich. The fact that they once were would not affect a game between these 2 teams now.

Although it's not like saying that, is it. 

Deary me. 

You really are lost in space when it comes to football. 

A_A wehatethehibs
10 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Yeah but it’s more the fact that you think neilsons got something to prove as though it’s this “test” which you’ve deliberately set up for him to fail. 

Hes not got anything to prove. He has been to ibrox and won as Hearts manager. So there’s no point to prove.

They are the champions and have 5x our budget to spend on players. Did you know that more money buys better players? So it’s not really a test and there’s no real expectations for us to go there and win. We are the massive underdogs in the game. And it will come down to the players individual performances a lot more than anything the manager does. Individual mistakes and fitness are typically the thing which that 5x gulf in budget makes the difference with. No tactical magician can bridge that gap we will need a bit of luck on the day and we need Rangers to not be at their best. 

I do agree I will be disappointed if we line up anything other than our 3-4-3 though. We’ve got to test that system against the best to see how good we are and if we go down 3-0 so be it we go again. 

12 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, because that's what he done. 

Do you think it was a written invitation? 

Away and troll someone else. 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Scottish Cup game. Amoruso took out Darren Jackson and denied him a clear goal scoring opportunity. Ref bottled it to send him off. The ref had nowhere to hide as the game was live on Sky.

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

Away and troll someone else. 

Don't talk utter shite then. 

lost in space
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yeah but it’s more the fact that you think neilsons got something to prove as though it’s this “test” which you’ve deliberately set up for him to fail. 

Hes not got anything to prove. He has been to ibrox and won as Hearts manager. So there’s no point to prove.

They are the champions and have 5x our budget to spend on players. Did you know that more money buys better players? So it’s not really a test and there’s no real expectations for us to go there and win. We are the massive underdogs in the game. And it will come down to the players individual performances a lot more than anything the manager does. Individual mistakes and fitness are typically the thing which that 5x gulf in budget makes the difference with. No tactical magician can bridge that gap we will need a bit of luck on the day and we need Rangers to not be at their best. 

I do agree I will be disappointed if we line up anything other than our 3-4-3 though. We’ve got to test that system against the best to see how good we are and if we go down 3-0 so be it we go again. 

Did you read the OP?

He does have something to prove - in my opinion of course. That is, that he will show confidence in the new system that he has developed - and we attack when we can, rather than just keeping possession and only stopping Sevco.

Yes, he has won at Ibrox before, with a different team against a different sevco team.

We totally agree on your last para.

It is a test for Neilson, again in my opinion, that he is willing to fully compete.

I don't expect us to win but I expect us to try to (unlike recent Parkhead game).

16 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Like most folk, for me this won't necessarily be about us losing, but more about our intention. 

I said the same thing on another thread but used about 600 words instead :lol:

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Did you read the OP?

He does have something to prove - in my opinion of course. That is, that he will show confidence in the new system that he has developed - and we attack when we can, rather than just keeping possession and only stopping Sevco.

Yes, he has won at Ibrox before, with a different team against a different sevco team.

We totally agree on your last para.

It is a test for Neilson, again in my opinion, that he is willing to fully compete.

I don't expect us to win but I expect us to try to (unlike recent Parkhead game).

"fully compete" 

You do know that Bob isn't actually playing for us. 

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

Off you pop son. 

Ah, a written invitation. 

Well done. 

Forever Hearts
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Do you ever read any posts you reply to or do you just decide what your going to type after the first few words?

I mean FFS you said yourself they usually side with Rangers yet seem to come to the ridiculous conclusion that is why I think we lose to them. 

And ffs it generally wouldn’t matter if the refs walked out in a Rangers/Celtic strip because our performances are usually absolutely pitiful. 

Edited by Forever Hearts

The Grim Reaper
5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

"fully compete" 

You do know that Bob isn't actually playing for us. 

You do know that the manager is responsible for picking the team, the tactics, the performance and the result. 

The Old Tolbooth
13 hours ago, Spellczech said:

First things first - got to avoid the mistake Hibs made and get a red card. 

It's difficult when we go there as Rangers on average are allowed to commit 15 fouls before a card is produced, whereas everyone else is around 5-7 fouls, if we finally get a level playing field then I see no reason not to give this mob a good game, if Robbie gets them up for it...  (tbh, you shouldn't need to get players up for a game like this)