• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• john thomas

• Naisys Tackle

• wavydavy

59 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Brilliant podcast and CL comes across really well. 

Why? Did he apologise for the shitfest he created at Hearts? 😏

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He did quite a while back. 

Did he? When?

Abiola Dauda
On 28/10/2021 at 22:53, Uncle Buck said:

I had Goodwillie in my head when he was telling the cupboard story. Cathro must have been the one not willing to do any of the dirty work.

And Kenny Miller was 100% the one who was about to make his 50th cap at the Czech game. Sure he went running to the papers at the time.

I thought it was about Stendel after he made Levein tell Berra that he was no longer needed. 

Levein didn't like Stendel at all

Edited by Abiola Dauda
Error

Naisys Tackle
46 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Why? Did he apologise for the shitfest he created at Hearts? 😏

Of course not.  He does take the piss out his own managerial skills though.  

On 22/10/2021 at 18:21, john thomas said:

Don't think so it was someone on 49 caps .

Also prefer to think Miller more likely to do that than McFadden

I do know that Gary Naysmith was livid with Levein when he only found through the papers that Levein had dropped him from the Scotland squad. Gary was on 46 caps. Source? Gary himself.

20 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I do know that Gary Naysmith was livid with Levein when he only found through the papers that Levein had dropped him from the Scotland squad. Gary was on 46 caps. Source? Gary himself.

Would he have done the dirty though ?

1 minute ago, john thomas said:

Would he have done the dirty though ?

No I’m not suggesting that.

2 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

Can’t bring myself to listen to Levein. It bothers me that he actually gets paid by the BBC. 

He reeks of arrogance

2 hours ago, Abiola Dauda said:

I thought it was about Stendel after he made Levein tell Berra that he was no longer needed. 

Levein didn't like Stendel at all

I thought it was about stendel as well

Craig Levein walking into some random buggers hotel bathroom in Cyprus and confronting the poor guy while he was in the shower. :lol: 

Casually minding your own business then the Scotland national team manager walks in on you in the scud having a wash. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Not doubting that CL could've handled that better, but bit harsh on Levein to suggest he 'dropped' him. Naysmith spent most of 2009 out injured and only played 2 games the rest of the season for Sheffield United in the English Championship. 32 years old into the bargain.

Regardless of the manager or how they handled it, I think Naysmith would've done remarkably well to make it to 50 caps.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Did he? When?

Last year. Of course at the same time Levein being Levein he also said he thought he could have turned us around or at least avoided relegation. So that probably over-shadowed the apology in the eye of some. It would have been hard for anyone to do as woeful a job as Stendel mind you. Anyhow, all good now. We have a better manager and sporting director and a better pundit to listen to than some of the other muppets.

1 hour ago, Apache Mal said:

Can’t bring myself to listen to Levein. It bothers me that he actually gets paid by the BBC. 

surely better than feeding Miller, Bonner or Chick Young?

Naisys Tackle
42 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Last year. Of course at the same time Levein being Levein he also said he thought he could have turned us around or at least avoided relegation. So that probably over-shadowed the apology in the eye of some. It would have been hard for anyone to do as woeful a job as Stendel mind you. Anyhow, all good now. We have a better manager and sporting director and a better pundit to listen to than some of the other muppets.

He apologized for his part in our demotion (note not relegation) then claimed it wouldn't have happened had he been still in the job.

He in no way said sorry for 5 years of crap and millions wasted of our money. 

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

No I’m not suggesting that.

Sorry , cba checking back , thought that was what the topic was 

Guest ToqueJambo
38 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He apologized for his part in our demotion (note not relegation) then claimed it wouldn't have happened had he been still in the job.

Demotion wasn't a possibility when he was still in charge, relegation was. He has a point - he'd more than likely have done a better job than Stendel with all the players fit again that Stendel had access to plus. As I say it would have been hard to do a worse job but maybe he would have who knows. He's hardly going to admit that though is he, no manager admits they're rubbish.

It wasn't 5 years of crap anyhow given 14/15, 15/16, and the first half of 16/17 and the start of 18/19 were above average seasons or starts to seasons. We had one meh season when he was sorting out Cathro (and his) mess, one injury hit season in 18/19 when we still nearly won a cup and one disastrous season in 19/20 but then let's not get into that again. Anyhow, he's top entertainment on the radio and always sticks up for Hearts.

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Demotion wasn't a possibility when he was still in charge, relegation was. He has a point - he'd more than likely have done a better job than Stendel with all the players fit again that Stendel had access to plus. As I say it would have been hard to do a worse job but maybe he would have who knows. He's hardly going to admit that though is he, no manager admits they're rubbish.

It wasn't 5 years of crap anyhow given 14/15, 15/16, and the first half of 16/17 and the start of 18/19 were above average seasons or starts to seasons. We had one meh season when he was sorting out Cathro (and his) mess, one injury hit season in 18/19 when we still nearly won a cup and one disastrous season in 19/20 but then let's not get into that again. Anyhow, he's top entertainment on the radio and always sticks up for Hearts.

We didn't get relegated.  End of.

No he wouldn't have, he was correctly sacked after a year of utter shite on the pitch and so much spent on pish.  He appointed Cathro remember.  

I agree he's decent on the podcast when he doesn't take himself seriously.  Other times on sportsound he comes across as up himself. 

I have enjoyed the podcasts , however CL is still a bawbag who oversaw one of the worst periods of leadership at the club in my lifetime. He blew what was an amazing opportunity for us to grow into a real force when we’d came out of administration, we are still clawing back the lost ground through his mis management 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Pilmuir said:

Download the BBC Sounds app and search for sacked in the morning.

Or click on the link posted above.

Worth doing, very entertaining series.

Thanks👍

2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

When it boils down to it, Levein wasn’t an innovator and he just didn’t move with the times or adapt in anyway to modern football. Things that worked 15 years before were old hat. When he was stripped down he was found out to be a very poor coach, tactician and manager. Ann Budges biggest mistake by miles was appointing the guy along the corridor, closely followed by not realising it was a catastrophic mistake until way too late.

Now that he has gone, I’m comfortable accepting that he tried his absolute best, loves the club and deserves a bit of respect for his service over many years

Edited by JimmyCant

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

When it boils down to it, Levein wasn’t an innovator and he just didn’t move with the times or adapt in anyway to modern football. Things that worked 15 years before were old hat. When he was stripped down he was found out to be a very poor coach, tactician and manager. Ann Budges biggest mistake by miles was appointing the guy along the corridor, closely followed by not realising it was a catastrophic mistake until way too late.

Now that he has gone, I’m comfortable accepting that he tried his absolute best, loves the club and deserves a bit of respect for his service over many years

i think the main reason he didn’t succeed was because he had other duties than just first team manager and he couldn’t handle it. 

19 minutes ago, McCrae said:

i think the main reason he didn’t succeed was because he had other duties than just first team manager and he couldn’t handle it. 

Excuse No 2 in the Levein fanboy manual…..😉

Edited by Thomaso

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Not doubting that CL could've handled that better, but bit harsh on Levein to suggest he 'dropped' him. Naysmith spent most of 2009 out injured and only played 2 games the rest of the season for Sheffield United in the English Championship. 32 years old into the bargain.

Regardless of the manager or how they handled it, I think Naysmith would've done remarkably well to make it to 50 caps.

Dropped or omitted from the squad - whatever terminology you want to call it.

What got Gary was the lack of respect shown by Levein when he decided to end his international career, especially as they both had a strong Hearts connection.

3 hours ago, McCrae said:

He didn’t have a more important and pressing duty than being first team manager. He failed miserably at it. Sorry but he did. On his other supposed roles, many of which were self appointed because he couldn’t  trust or delegate, I can’t think of one you could look at in isolation and think ‘know what he was really good at that’

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

He didn’t have a more important and pressing duty than being first team manager. He failed miserably at it. Sorry but he did. On his other supposed roles, many of which were self appointed because he couldn’t  trust or delegate, I can’t think of one you could look at in isolation and think ‘know what he was really good at that’

Well said Jimmy! 👍

The last bastion for the JKB Levein fanboys on here was that he was really good at transforming our academy - as with everything else it was a total failure!

9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I agree. It’s not an excuse.  If he had focused only on the first team I reckon things would have been better. I don’t buy the he was a crap coach line.

8 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I agree. It’s not an excuse.  If he had focused only on the first team I reckon things would have been better. I don’t buy the he was a crap coach line.

In hindsight, having kept him in place longer than we should have, we couldn’t have picked a worse time to launch him and bring in a revolution like Stendel. I think he’d have kept us up, but he WAS pretty crap, or at least WE were crap under him which is slightly different I spose.

3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Well said Jimmy! 👍

The last bastion for the JKB Levein fanboys on here was that he was really good at transforming our academy - as with everything else it was a total failure!

Why are we still talking about someone who set the club back years?

Psychedelicropcircle
3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Because whilst he’s a shite football manager he’s a good podcast host!

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Some here absolutely love looking back on bad times rather than forwards to good times.

Quite why I don’t know.

28 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Some here absolutely love looking back on bad times rather than forwards to good times.

Quite why I don’t know.

👍

29 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Because whilst he’s a shite football manager he’s a good podcast host!

Will have to take your word for it, never listen to the man.

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Will have to take your word for it, never listen to the man.

Then you cannot comment on the podcast show he does.

32 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Then you cannot comment on the podcast show he does.

I was responding to posts that did not relate to his podcast. I have no intentions of commenting on that because I don't listen to it.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Why not?

Can’t believe people still having a go at Levein. He’s well gone, we’ve moved on in every part of the club from the old regime and the guy is a good pundit on the radio. If some people have had personal issues with the guy then fair enough,  but he clearly has a soft spot for Hearts. 🤷‍♂️

TyphoonJambo
3 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Can’t believe people still having a go at Levein. He’s well gone, we’ve moved on in every part of the club from the old regime and the guy is a good pundit on the radio. If some people have had personal issues with the guy then fair enough,  but he clearly has a soft spot for Hearts. 🤷‍♂️

seconded.

17 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Dropped or omitted from the squad - whatever terminology you want to call it.

What got Gary was the lack of respect shown by Levein when he decided to end his international career, especially as they both had a strong Hearts connection.

He must have been really bitter when he accepted the role of Loans Manager under Levein a few years back.

Think it's a shame this thread about a really good podcast has been hijacked by the Anti-Levein crew again.....plenty other Levein threads to do that on chaps.

5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

In hindsight, having kept him in place longer than we should have, we couldn’t have picked a worse time to launch him and bring in a revolution like Stendel. I think he’d have kept us up, but he WAS pretty crap, or at least WE were crap under him which is slightly different I spose.

I actually blame AB for this… when it was clear CL was struggling to handle his workload she should have stripped him of everything else he was doing and have him focus on the 1st team.

7 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I actually blame AB for this… when it was clear CL was struggling to handle his workload she should have stripped him of everything else he was doing and have him focus on the 1st team.

or the u18's 🙂 

vlad on the tyne

Had to laugh at CL when he said he found team selection very difficult and lost sleep because of it. Well, if he hadn't overseen so much keek that came into the club he wouldn't have had an issue. 

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Best forgotten about in my opinion.

Well you could say that about 1965, 1986, lost cup finals, shit signings…..but it’s a fans forum and these things are discussed Dave. 🤷‍♂️