SACKED IN THE MORNING

Psychedelicropcircle

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Maybe Danny Swanson ? always trouble and bother when he’s around outside a pub .

I had Goodwillie in my head when he was telling the cupboard story. Cathro must have been the one not willing to do any of the dirty work.

And Kenny Miller was 100% the one who was about to make his 50th cap at the Czech game. Sure he went running to the papers at the time.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• john thomas

• Naisys Tackle

• 1971fozzy

On 14/10/2021 at 22:41, 1971fozzy said:

Superb. Loved it. Obviously Cathro he was on about which was no surprise.

Levein is fantastic as a pundit tbf

Is it only 5 minutes long?? 

McGlynn The Money
On 14/10/2021 at 23:26, ToqueJambo said:

Some of the best players and managers are. Poor Craig. Must hurt seeing your entire career boiled down to (in the minds of some at least) first one bad Scotland result (actually nowhere near the worst we've had) and then one a bad season and a half. Not to mention having no marks like Michael Stewart slag you off for not having any medals. He'll live though - skin like a rhino. Obviously lost his managerial mojo but a great pundit - says what he thinks even if he goes a bit easy on his fellow managers as they all tend to do.

One bad season and a half? If only that were true.

7 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Is it only 5 minutes long?? 

no that was only a small episode. Almost like a taster. They are longer -about 45 minutes

Edited by 1971fozzy

Dick Campbell on the latest show, another great character.  Amy Irons mentioned that he'd won an incredible 36 manager of the month awards in his career.

Dick admits it sounds impressive, but that his wife reminds him that he's been managing so long that it only works out at around 1 award per season.

7 hours ago, RobNox said:

Dick Campbell on the latest show, another great character.  Amy Irons mentioned that he'd won an incredible 36 manager of the month awards in his career.

Dick admits it sounds impressive, but that his wife reminds him that he's been managing so long that it only works out at around 1 award per season.

Best one yet proper old school.

14 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I struggled to understand Dick Campbell for much of the podcast.  I'm usually OK with a Scottish accent, but his was just too broad and too fast for me.

Sound was terrible . Dick was over modulating

Listened to all four episodes so far the same day. Not impressed overall. Why do so many involved in football think it's a bad thing that "these days" managers have to treat players like human beings? Why do so many fans - the majority of whom I'd assume are pro-trade union, some very staunch - agree with them?

Pulis in particular went down in my estimation. Imagine being so threatened by a player wearing red boots that you'd cut off your nose to spite your face by dropping him? Then having talked about setting his stall out as a disciplinarian, he does the opposite by letting Fuller go away for a non-existent international. Couldn't he have contacted the Jamaican FA or looked at their website to check? Does he think they don't have the internet in Jamaica? 

Then Campbell, who apparently owns a recruitment company, saying he would once have physically fought players who dared to disagree with him.

By the way, the player who threatened to score an own goal if he wasn't sold is Slaven Bilic. Redknapp talks about him trying to force a move in one of his books, although he doesn't mention that particular detail.

2 minutes ago, Thaw said:

Listened to all four episodes so far the same day. Not impressed overall. Why do so many involved in football think it's a bad thing that "these days" managers have to treat players like human beings? Why do so many fans - the majority of whom I'd assume are pro-trade union, some very staunch - agree with them?

Pulis in particular went down in my estimation. Imagine being so threatened by a player wearing red boots that you'd cut off your nose to spite your face by dropping him? Then having talked about setting his stall out as a disciplinarian, he does the opposite by letting Fuller go away for a non-existent international. Couldn't he have contacted the Jamaican FA or looked at their website to check? Does he think they don't have the internet in Jamaica? 

Then Campbell, who apparently owns a recruitment company, saying he would once have physically fought players who dared to disagree with him.

By the way, the player who threatened to score an own goal if he wasn't sold is Slaven Bilic. Redknapp talks about him trying to force a move in one of his books, although he doesn't mention that particular detail.

It's all about opinions I guess. I've enjoyed them all.

Getting caught up on this, enjoying it so far! Whatever you think of CL he’s not afraid to have a laugh at his own expense. Pishing myself at the story of Robbo & the Aerotone machine :lol:

Been brilliant. Dick Campbell wanting to have a square go with sir Alex. 

Then scrapping with his brother during a team talk 

Really enjoying this podcast - I'm about half way through this weeks episode (about referees)... and already CL has told a story about when he was at Hearts - and what he was told by a referee, during a game. The ball had gone out of play, clearly touched by a Motherwell player, and the throw-in was given to Well. CL contested and was told he "...would get **** all today!" He goes on to say that referees are human, so corruption and bias definitely exists in the game... but we all knew this.

Well worth a listen, although he doesn't name the ref.

8 hours ago, jonesy said:

Got to disagree, bud. Are you not impressed with the stories they're sharing or the idea of the podcast itself?

Not a fan of Pulis, but he came across very well in the podcast, as does Levein.

The concept definitely has potential. There have been some parts I enjoyed, although I forget which... Levein does come across well at times, but I couldn't get over how pathetic I found Pulis telling Bailey he was somehow failing to put the team first by wearing red boots.

9 hours ago, jonesy said:

It seems like you are happy that we live in a different age now - perhaps it's useful for folk to hear that this kind of stuff went on to be able to laugh at the 'dinosaur' antics of the previous generation and move on.

The depressing thing is how many people, maybe a majority around my age (39) and older are sad that times have changed in this respect. I think it's mad for it even to be a debate. On one side you have people who think everyone should be able to go to work and not be assaulted or bullied by colleagues; on the other, people who think the same about other industries, but make an exception for football.

Reckon the player that Harry Redknapp mentions, now a top manager, who threatened to kick the ball into his own goal, is almost certainly Slaven Billic.

On 06/11/2021 at 13:57, Thaw said:

He also acknowledges how he's changed to modern times. Bit of a harsh assessment that, when back in the day most managers had that attitude.

Fergie, the greatest of all time (in my opinion) has come to blows with many a player...

I think Lambert has been the worst guest so far - more just stories about him and his teams than referees but in general I’m enjoying it 

6 hours ago, King prawn said:

I think Lambert has been the worst guest so far - more just stories about him and his teams than referees but in general I’m enjoying it 

yeah I agree, but good of him to go on. Personality of cardboard

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

He also acknowledges how he's changed to modern times. Bit of a harsh assessment that, when back in the day most managers had that attitude.

Fergie, the greatest of all time (in my opinion) has come to blows with many a player...

I'm not suggesting that Campbell was unique in doing that, of course, but he was the most explicit about it on the podcast. And yes, that's one reason I have mixed feelings about Ferguson, despite his incredible achievements. I don't know if most managers would have got away with the Beckham/boot incident at the time it happened...

On 10/11/2021 at 09:11, Rogue Daddy said:

Really enjoying this podcast - I'm about half way through this weeks episode (about referees)... and already CL has told a story about when he was at Hearts - and what he was told by a referee, during a game. The ball had gone out of play, clearly touched by a Motherwell player, and the throw-in was given to Well. CL contested and was told he "...would get **** all today!" He goes on to say that referees are human, so corruption and bias definitely exists in the game... but we all knew this.

Well worth a listen, although he doesn't name the ref.

Don’t think he was making it up. All to do with him having an issue with Dougie McDonald.

Tells us how corrupt Scottish football was/is.

Samuel Camazzola
On 08/11/2021 at 08:28, boag1874 said:

Getting caught up on this, enjoying it so far! Whatever you think of CL he’s not afraid to have a laugh at his own expense. Pishing myself at the story of Robbo & the Aerotone machine :lol:

Robbo's version of events on a recent Off The Ball episode was equally as good. 😄

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Now there's a celebrity boxing match that would fill Tynie.

Would last about 5 seconds !

15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

MS' ring walk would have to be carefully staged in order to avoid a pre-fight KO.

Quality:rofl:

Edited by frankblack

On 10/11/2021 at 18:37, Thaw said:

The depressing thing is how many people, maybe a majority around my age (39) and older are sad that times have changed in this respect. I think it's mad for it even to be a debate. On one side you have people who think everyone should be able to go to work and not be assaulted or bullied by colleagues; on the other, people who think the same about other industries, but make an exception for football.

I wonder if it was accepted in football due to the original nature of the development of the game. Originating in groups of mates, or work colleagues etc starting teams. 

Even nowadays, it would be more acceptable to get a bollocking etc from a 'mate' than a stranger. 

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

Dick Campbell's story about his wife had me falling of my chair. I hope they do more. For me it's the best out there of it's kind. 

Here is the last one with the wife story and a lot more. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bcc2y5

Listened to this earlier. That story was class. Dick Campbell is a legend. Proper old school manager

TyphoonJambo

A very enjoyable podcast,all the guests were good but Dick Campbell,hilarious. 

40 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Listened to this earlier. That story was class. Dick Campbell is a legend. Proper old school manager

Ok. Eventually I'll get to her, I can see she's not happy.  

At that point in the story I'm thinking I know what is coming, and in a way, I was right, however,  😆

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

That Craig Levein story about Barbados 😂

Do you think that was when he was a player? And not in the literal sense

10 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Do you think that was when he was a player? And not in the literal sense

I think he was playing. He had to spit it out.

Eggshells and treading on come to mind. 😏

Edited by niblick1874

12 hours ago, niblick1874 said:

I think he was playing. He had to spit it out.

Eggshells and treading on come to mind. 😏

...and the rest of the team had to watch 😳🤣🤣🤣

section s heart

Thought the series was really entertaining, most of the guests were funny, and CL was decent. AI liked a wee interrupt though.

Some of the "old school" stuff will be gone from dressing rooms, but the further down the leagues you go, it's probably not much different from how it used to be. Bunch of mates/ lads banter/ win bonuses/ jobs on the line, so potentially noisy dressing room. 

Have to say, I really enjoyed the series, something different to listen too when I'm out walking the dog.  Thought CL came across well and was happy to poke fun at himself and the guests were decent also.

The podcast is really well worth a listen. Levein comes over very well indeed. Can't believe I just wrote that. Arguably the best episode was Dick Campbell

18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

How do you listen to these, can never find them. 

Download the BBC Sounds app and search for sacked in the morning.

Or click on the link posted above.

Worth doing, very entertaining series.

TyphoonJambo

I use the pod bean app. Gets you Sacked in the morning,scarves around the funnel,this is my story,talking tynie,etc.

On 14/11/2021 at 13:48, jonesy said:

Now there's a celebrity boxing match that would fill Tynie.

I'd be cheering on Craig - has the making of an interesting poll that one!!

Enjoyed this podcast left me wanting more. Nearly pissed myself laughing in the first Dick Campbell episode. I listened to that episode twice. Hate or like the man he is a great football pundit who speaks with an authentic voice and brings that out in his guests. Looking forward to series 2.