Things you would go back to...

Morgan

...If you were really young again...

Me?

Drinking far too much, and getting away with it (no hangovers).

Having no fear.

Thinking you’d live forever.

Playing football.

After cub football went to Eskmills in Penicuik. It was awful. Poorly run is an understatement. 11 aside team had a squad of well over 20 so plenty times kids travelled to games with no hope of getting on.

I was a better RB than the squad player (my Dad and other parents said to me many times) but his Dad was good pals with one of our many coaches so hardly got picked.

Coaches were more concerned with drinking than the kids fitba which they proved on trips away to fitba festivals. Once tried to get the bus to not stop at services coming back from Liverpool as worried about last orders in Penicuik despite bus full of kids bursting on a pee.

I loved fitba but that team just blew my confidence away. If I could go back I'd be brave and move to another local team rather than just jacking it in.

My first tattoo

In fact the majority of them 

Got 14 now but only like about half of them 🤦‍♂️

Still number 15 coming in Nov 😊

Malinga the Swinga

Dancing, long hair, late nights that went into early mornings, Tequila, going to Blue Lagoon on Saturday for opening time, watching game, going for chippy, back to Lagoon, copy of pink news and then a curry at Golden Bengal or elsewhere before getting home whenever.

Trying to chat up the ladies with varying successes.

Not caring what I spent cash on.

Aged 14, my trial with St Mirren when a certain Mr Ferguson was their manager and this time ramming his words " you're not a winner son and nae good to me", back down his throat.

This he said to me as I didn't take the legs from a guy who was clean through on goal. I've never played football that way and never will.

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

SAF was correct in fairness. 

Awful decades for music imo. 

He wasn't then and he wouldn't be now.

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You didn’t have the same winning mentality as him. No biggy, but lots of players would have zero issue with doing it. 

You valued playing football the right way. That’s not how SAF works, hence your were no use to him as you didn’t share some core values. 

As a matter of interest was you trial as good as got or did you go on to play at meaningful level?

Full professional it was as good as it got.

Aged 27 I was going to sign semi professional with Waterlooville down in Hampshire, but they sacked there manager, and Billy Gilbert and Vince Hilaire(both ex Crystal Palace) took over, as I was 27 at the time they withdrew the offer, as they wanted younger. That was that.

Malinga the Swinga

Conversely, Years back, I went for few trials in field hockey before I decided on a club and club decided on me.

During a friendly for one team, i brought down one the opposition players when they were clean through and got warning from ref.

After game, the club captain came to me in changing rooms and said that wasn't how they played game, that winning wasn't everything and that I'd have to change attitude now I was representing them.

Never played for them again as I hadn't registered and used to love playing against them as it had become personal.

If you play sport to any level, you play to win. At end of day, that's what matters.

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Full professional it was as good as it got.

Aged 27 I was going to sign semi professional with Waterlooville down in Hampshire, but they sacked there manager, and Billy Gilbert and Vince Hilaire(both ex Crystal Palace) took over, as I was 27 at the time they withdrew the offer, as they wanted younger. That was that.

Who did you play for in between ?

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Excuse my ignorance how was playing for Royal Navy professional or have I misread a previous post? 

You've misread.

The knockback at St Mirren really dented my confidence, and my form went out the window, so no more trials at clubs, so aged 16 I joined the navy,  my confidence came back as I played with some brilliant players. One guy Willie Mcdonald, was  probably the most skilful. West Ham went to his door, only to be told he had joined up.

Kevin Maddocks, he played semi professional for Fareham Town.

10 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

My bad, can’t find my reading glasses which is only aiding in my shit posting. 

Can imagine it was a decent standard. Did you just play against the pongos (my bad if used term wrong). Always quite like in US when the army and navy go at it, as it’s looks a wacky atmosphere. Not sure same sort of thing in UK with rivalry, crowds etc. 

I did see something on forces TV  once, which was like it’s a knock out for the forces but gave me impresarion a fair bit of competition between the services.

Matelot=Sailor

Pongo=soldier

Crabfat=RAF.

Yes very healthy rivalry sporting wise between the three services.

When I was in the Navy we had an excellent boxing team. Remember going up to RAF Cosford in 1980 and the Navy hammering them 9 bouts to 1 at the boxing. Then we did have the likes of Wayne Green, John O'Driscoll, and future World champion Terry Marsh in our team. Although Terry was a Royal Marine he fought under the White Ensign as the Marines are the Navy's soldiers, and affectionately referred to as booties(bootnecks).

20 hours ago, redjambo said:

70s and 80s music. :)

Sorry I read that topic wrong ! Thought it was things you wouldn’t back to ( the similar thread 🧵

Bring able to function the next day after a big night out on the bevvy 

Being physically fit with no health issues 

Getting a good nights sleep without having to go for a piss during the night 

Getting advice and support from my mum when I was needing it 😢

HamishMcGonagall

The Citrus (assuming I'd be going back in time if I was really young again, so it would still be open).

Edited by HamishMcGonagall

14 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

The Citrus (assuming I'd be going back in time if I was really young again, so it would still be open).

Free Curly Wurlys at the door as well.....

(Not a euphemism for younger folk looking in)

Sometimes a finger of fudge at the door.

(Again....still not a euphemism)

Realised I should have taken drum lessons at an early age. Thought I knew it all at 17 . No one could teach me anything resulting in picking up all the bad habits. A lot of drummers find it comes naturally to them I was not in that group, I have to work at it. If I could go back I would do it all differently......still rock oot...🤘🤘

My 18th birthday, I would burst into the Chinese I was at and drag my already pissed self home so I wouldn't on to a nightclub and meet someone who ruined my life. I had it made until she appeared.

Actually on reflection March 2017. I got a hip resurfacing which meant I can’t do the amount of running and football I really want to. I got back into running during lockdown and I love it but can only do maybe twice a week 🙁