Brakes servicing

muldoon74

My front brakes (2016 corsa 1.4) will be needing replaced in the next month or so. Fine just now but want them done before I go to Yorkshire at beginning of November.

Basically where's best for price, service and workmanship in the Livingston/West Lothian area? 

I'd have a pop myself (have done pads on a few cars previous) but I think the discs will need done and I don't have the tools or knowledge to do them. 

Somewhere with Jambo Discount would be good.. ;)

WorldChampions1902

Just had the front discs and pads done on my wife’s Yaris. Wanted Brembo parts and ended up using EuroCarparts online to order them and also select a local garage to do the fitting. Dearest labour charge was  £95 and cheapest was £40 !!

Not Edinburgh. Worth a look though as you can select your preferred parts and fitter to suit your budget. Don’t forget to use whatever discount code is running at the time. Managed to get the Brembos for less than half price.

2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

My front brakes (2016 corsa 1.4) will be needing replaced in the next month or so. Fine just now but want them done before I go to Yorkshire at beginning of November.

Basically where's best for price, service and workmanship in the Livingston/West Lothian area? 

I'd have a pop myself (have done pads on a few cars previous) but I think the discs will need done and I don't have the tools or knowledge to do them. 

Somewhere with Jambo Discount would be good.. ;)

Things to watch for.

Up selling..

You need your discs done 

Your calipers sticking etc

If you are in Edinburgh the national tyres along from Sainsburys have a decent couple of men work who are honest.

Or is it national auto anyway the old boy and the younger boy are sound.

Theres also a couple of decent garages around Gorgie Carnies on Westfield road .

Sainsburys in Gorgie

Also get quotes from others as they will be matched.

Edited by Ked

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Just had the front discs and pads done on my wife’s Yaris. Wanted Brembo parts and ended up using EuroCarparts online to order them and also select a local garage to do the fitting. Dearest labour charge was  £95 and cheapest was £40 !!

Not Edinburgh. Worth a look though as you can select your preferred parts and fitter to suit your budget. Don’t forget to use whatever discount code is running at the time. Managed to get the Brembos for less than half price.

Considering buying parts separately from eurocarparts (liviautoparts) as saw that brembo brakes, pads and discs were half price.. 

just a matter of getting either a mate who is happy to fit for a few beers or a garage that doesnt charge ridiculous hourly rates. 

1 hour ago, Ked said:

Things to watch for.

Up selling..

You need your discs done 

Your calipers sticking etc

If you are in Edinburgh the national tyres along from Sainsburys have a decent couple of men work who are honest.

Or is it national auto anyway the old boy and the younger boy are sound.

Theres also a couple of decent garages around Gorgie Carnies on Westfield road .

Sainsburys in Gorgie

Also get quotes from others as they will be matched.

I'm well aware of certain companies upselling techniques... (A certain Knight of the realm whose initials are TF)

Went for a new tyre a few years ago.. They said that they couldn't allow my car to leave premises legally as the brakes were in need of replacing..

They'd been done week before for MOT, tyre had a nail in an unrepairable area so needed a new one. 

I happened to know TFs PA.. So said to them "Get ******* *****" on the phone..

Supervisor/workshop manager (whatever these charlatans call their staff) asked if I knew said person.. 

Suffice to say price was halved for tyre and suddenly brakes weren't an issue. 

I'll be avoiding certain so called garages.... (nifty fit centres..;) )

14 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I'm well aware of certain companies upselling techniques... (A certain Knight of the realm whose initials are TF)

Went for a new tyre a few years ago.. They said that they couldn't allow my car to leave premises legally as the brakes were in need of replacing..

They'd been done week before for MOT, tyre had a nail in an unrepairable area so needed a new one. 

I happened to know TFs PA.. So said to them "Get ******* *****" on the phone..

Supervisor/workshop manager (whatever these charlatans call their staff) asked if I knew said person.. 

Suffice to say price was halved for tyre and suddenly brakes weren't an issue. 

I'll be avoiding certain so called garages.... (nifty fit centres..;) )

Getting a garage you can trust is priceless.

Hope you do ok mate.

Safe journey

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, muldoon74 said:

Considering buying parts separately from eurocarparts (liviautoparts) as saw that brembo brakes, pads and discs were half price.. 

just a matter of getting either a mate who is happy to fit for a few beers or a garage that doesnt charge ridiculous hourly rates. 

I probably wasn’t clear, but when you order the parts online at EuroCarParts, at the same time you can select a local garage to do the fitting. If you select “fitting”, it presents you a menu of local garages with their price to do the job. You just pick the garage you want at the price you want and EuroCarPart deliver the parts to that  garage. Then you make an appointment for the fitting. Couldn’t be easier.

National tyres were £120 cheaper for my disc brake, pads and new tyres than a local garage. Felt justified going back to the garage and asking them how the **** they could justify trying to rip me off like that.