Souttar...............off soon.....?

Section Q

50 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip. 

Sums it up. 

The question is then do we want a player that has his future elsewhere playing for us or punt him in January, get some £ and replace him. 

I don’t see him being the sort of player who would down tools because he’s leaving, so it depends on our league position really. If we’re still right up there in the mix I’d keep him and play him. If we’ve drifted a bit, try and sell him in January 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

• Naisys Tackle

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t see him being the sort of player who would down tools because he’s leaving, so it depends on our league position really. If we’re still right up there in the mix I’d keep him and play him. If we’ve drifted a bit, try and sell him in January 

Fair doos. 

If he's not signed an extension by close of December I'd punt him in January. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fair doos. 

Even if we’re going for anEuropean spot worth millions ? I wouldn’t, I’d keep him and write off any fee we might get. Half a million at best IMO

7 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Even if we’re going for anEuropean spot worth millions ? I wouldn’t, I’d keep him and write off any fee we might get. Half a million at best IMO

Thst half a million might get you a player that wants to play for us though. It’s not a simple decision. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

You have to assume by now he has had a concrete offer and declined to sign it. If it’s the best offer we’ve got, we’ll not be improving it and he’ll be gone. It’s not hard to grapple with really 

It is for one poster on here

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I'd rather have a player that sees at least his short term future with us. 

A player leaving won't give the same as a new player looking to impress.

Not too mention the changing room dynamic. 

Ofc it would depend on who was available, but if possible replace  and  take some cash. 

I wouldn't sell If we couldn't replace tho. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, StevenNaismith said:

I think he will sign a new contract.

It’s the smart move IMO. 

Being a free agent isn’t going to win him any better a move at the end of this season than Hearts selling him. Hearts aren’t going to stand in his way. It just gives the club a bit more time. Can probably agree a buyout clause as well so it’s in black and white for him that the club will sell for the agreed price 

If he’s not extended his deal by January, then he’s effectively handed in a transfer request and demanded Hearts to sell him in January. Hearts have invested a lot in him and we need to recoup it to replace him. I don’t believe he will want that situation to arise just now with what he’s been through. Surely he is just keen to get through this full season back playing, and focusing on getting another call up.

If Hearts are forced to look to sell in January it might be to a club he may not fully like, but he will feel an obligation for the club to get that transfer fee, the whole situation might upset his rhythm. 1 year extension has always made the most sense to me. Don’t see anything long term happening but soapy just needs to get his head down and focus on his football for this full season and worry about moves after he’s shown his body can take the full seasons work at this level 

All this talk of Souttar being tapped up shows we have developed him and made him into a better player.

However, i have doubts he will last a full season without patches of time out (now being one of them)

Will any serious suitors for souttar really chuck cash at him, or his agent, or Hearts with his injury history  ? 

The Future's Maroon
17 hours ago, sadj said:

Brilliant news pal , proper happy for ya ❤️🇱🇻

Ah fair enough , yh if we were too get any decent money we wont without him signing a new contract. However i dont agree its best for both parties. Id say its not for him at all , you didnt say touted about I said that because McNamara is doing that. 

11 hours ago, Longbaws said:

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

11 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

:rudiyas:

10 hours ago, Mdoug79 said:

Having been in a similar position in the last couple years I appreciate the magnitude of your news. The recovery takes a long time but enjoy every minute.

Although i don't know you I am genuinely delighted to read your post! All the best to you and your family.

10 hours ago, Valois No1 said:

Congrats man. Always good to hear of anyone beating this horrible disease. HHGH

Sry to have taken the thread a bit off topic…but a massive thank you to you…she (43) suffered a stroke in Jan, then found out about the Cancer in March.

As the Doctors realised it was early on she was straight into chemo/radiotherapy…it’s been a effing horrible 8/9 months, especially as I stayed working, looked after house and four kids….but honestly to see her now you wouldn’t even know she had been through both this at all.

Added to the fact the JT’s are back to where we should be just explains why I’m constantly happy at the moment!

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Thst half a million might get you a player that wants to play for us though. It’s not a simple decision. 

It’s also more or less his decision, not ours.

Dreaming a bit but wouldn't it be great if Hearts announced on Friday afternoon that John had agreed to a years extension to his contract.

39 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Sry to have taken the thread a bit off topic…but a massive thank you to you…she (43) suffered a stroke in Jan, then found out about the Cancer in March.

As the Doctors realised it was early on she was straight into chemo/radiotherapy…it’s been a effing horrible 8/9 months, especially as I stayed working, looked after house and four kids….but honestly to see her now you wouldn’t even know she had been through both this at all.

Added to the fact the JT’s are back to where we should be just explains why I’m constantly happy at the moment!

❤️ 

12 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Dreaming a bit but wouldn't it be great if Hearts announced on Friday afternoon that John had agreed to a years extension to his contract.

It would but we'd either be in the same place this time next year or he'll have been out injured. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fair doos. 

Asked yesterday. Can we just punt him for cash in January? What if he says “no thanks, I’m not playing in that $#!t-hole”

Not sure we can just punt him. He has to have some say in it. Surely?

2 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Your wife is obviously a strong women, it’s a tough disease that takes a long time to recover but I’m sure you, your wife and your kids will become stronger! You all certainly deserve some peace in life. Best of luck 👍🏻

Naisys Tackle
On 11/10/2021 at 22:44, jr ewing said:

Buy before we sell. 

I feel that clubs’ heads of recruiting may be onto such plan 👍

Naisys Tackle
18 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Delighted for you and your family. 

23 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Leveins injuries (2) were totally different to Souttars injuries and far more serious.

I actually thought it was 3 bad ones he had - the third under JJ finishing him off.

19 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Jesus mate you've been to hell and back. Glad the docs caught her early and Mrs TFM is on the high road to recovery. You deserve a medal for getting through all this. I wish you and all your family many many bright and happy days ahead. 

17 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Asked yesterday. Can we just punt him for cash in January? What if he says “no thanks, I’m not playing in that $#!t-hole”

Not sure we can just punt him. He has to have some say in it. Surely?

He will be under contract until May/June so cannot be just punted without an agreement, could advise club that he has signed pre contract with for say ' Celtic ' then they offer £100k to take him off HMFC hands and save 6 months wages or he goes for free at end of season.

Naisys Tackle
23 minutes ago, Largo said:

He will be under contract until May/June so cannot be just punted without an agreement, could advise club that he has signed pre contract with for say ' Celtic ' then they offer £100k to take him off HMFC hands and save 6 months wages or he goes for free at end of season.

Or he sits tight for six months and pockets that £100k for himself and doesn't go into a basket case Celtic team thats already fecked the league.   His agent will be advising him to make as much money as possible, understandably. 

9 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Or he sits tight for six months and pockets that £100k for himself and doesn't go into a basket case Celtic team thats already fecked the league.   His agent will be advising him to make as much money as possible, understandably. 

You are 100% correct, but if he has decided to move on then the £100k option is the best for HMFC.  They gain the paltry sum and saves on six months wages .

I only used Celtic as an example as that's the last club I hope he goes to as the lad is a player .

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Largo said:

You are 100% correct, but if he has decided to move on then the £100k option is the best for HMFC.  They gain the paltry sum and saves on six months wages .

I only used Celtic as an example as that's the last club I hope he goes to as the lad is a player .

Yeah I totally agree. 

Don't think the old firm is seen as the stepping stone it once was for any footballer with ambitions of making it down south.

Very little European exposure and the preferred route now is picking a Championship team with ambitions that you can tap into or a lower level EPL club where you can prove yourself in the big league.

To me, Souttar is top Championship level and would fit in nicely at any club with a chance of the EPL.

I think the sensible thing for both parties would be to make him our highest paid player with a new 2 year deal and a release clause for a fee both parties find acceptable. I'm sure the club are doing everything they can to make that happen and I hope Souttar agrees.

I'm not convinced he would pass a medical at the moment as he has had two achilles ops in the last couple of years and i'm sure that any slight issues will show up in a scan. 

What would concern me (and should him also) is that if he signs a pre contract agreement with another club in January and then fails the medical come June he could be goosed getting any decent deal from another club.

5 minutes ago, happyjam said:

I'm not convinced he would pass a medical at the moment as he has had two achilles ops in the last couple of years and i'm sure that any slight issues will show up in a scan. 

What would concern me (and should him also) is that if he signs a pre contract agreement with another club in January and then fails the medical come June he could be goosed getting any decent deal from another club.

It’s that whole idea of a bird in hand is worth more than 2 in a bush. 

If he decides to run his deal down and gets injured we’ll likely have already sourced his replacement and any prospective club will simply just move on. 

IMO sign a 2 year extension and have a gentleman’s agreement the club will do everything in its power to get him the move he wants for a decent fee. 

22 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Jeezo man, what a time to have! Having lost a few loved ones to that awful disease, it’s always heartening to hear good news stories about people beating it. Fantastic news that things are now going well for your family. Long may it continue 👍

4 hours ago, happyjam said:

Thats not how a medical works

I'm sure the club will have offered him a 2 year extension on a decent wage but with an agreement we will let him go if a good deal comes in at the end of the season. Win win for us as we get him for the rest of this season and then hopefully get a few million for him. 

It's up to souttar though if that's a good deal for him or if he would get a bigger contract by running his contract down and signing as a free agent. 

Hopefully he will show us a bit of loyalty for supporting him through his injuries over the last few seasons by signing an extension, giving us his all this season, then getting his reward with a bigger club coming in for him on the back of a good season. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Don't think the old firm is seen as the stepping stone it once was for any footballer with ambitions of making it down south.

Very little European exposure and the preferred route now is picking a Championship team with ambitions that you can tap into or a lower level EPL club where you can prove yourself in the big league.

To me, Souttar is top Championship level and would fit in nicely at any club with a chance of the EPL.

He's definitely that level when fully fit. One thing he might be considering is that English football these days is much more physical than Scotland. The strikers down there are often absolute units, including (or specially) in the Championship. I'm not sure it's the place for him to continue his comeback, but he'll know best where he is in terms of his recovery.

His other option could be the OF, but that comes with big risks if he wants game time, especially when both OF managers could easily be gone by this time next year. Look at Jack Hendry, signed for 1m and never given a chance.

I hope Soapy's advisors are encouraging him to prove his fitness with us and have at least one more great season here, re-establish himself as first pick for Scotland (especially likely if Clarke continues with a back 3) maybe even at the WC finals. Then he'll likely have a lot more options and we'll hopefully not demand a huge fee if he signs an extension. He'll still only be 26 when the WC is played - approaching his peak years.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Thinking about some of the comments above I wonder if a decent quality European team would be the best type of initial move for Souttar?

57 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Thinking about some of the comments above I wonder if a decent quality European team would be the best type of initial move for Souttar?

Italy or Germany ne good move for him.

Should’ve been sold in the summer if he wasn’t signing a new deal, sick of us letting players with value run down their deals.

August Landmesser
34 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Italy or Germany ne good move for him.

Bologna can buy him with half of the €100m they'll get for Hickey.

:wonga:

Edited by August Landmesser

39 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Should’ve been sold in the summer if he wasn’t signing a new deal, sick of us letting players with value run down their deals.

He had only played a few games after injury - where would the buyers come from?

54 minutes ago, Shanks said:

There is only interest in him now because he has played for a few months without any major injuries.

It will be interesting to see if he is fit for Saturday and if so how he performs.

These are the sort of games that show what a player is really made of.

At the shareholders meeting which was only a couple of weeks ago Joe Savage was suggesting that they were only just getting to the stage of talking to him and his agent now which is probably quite a wise tactic.

If we shows signs of being too eager to extend his deal then that maybe gives him the upper hand. Play it cool and give the impression that yes it would be nice to keep him but no big deal if he leaves might make him think a bit.

If he is money oriented then no doubt he will be away to the highest bidder. He will know what sort of wage his brother is on and therefore have a benchmark as to what he can expect which will probably be much more than we can offer him.

Any club that signs him though with his injury record would be well advised to have him on a deal that is based on the number of games he plays rather than a straight wage.

It would be nice if he were to sign a new deal with a release clause and even better for him if he were to win a place back in the Scotland squad which would help him be noticed more especially if he plays well.

1 hour ago, Boyces beard said:

I think John Souttar will sign a new contract with a release clause inserted to suit both the player and the club.

This is the most sensible arrangement IMO, it gives him game time with us (thus proving - hopefully - his injuries are a thing of the past) which will, in turn, probably get him a better move and, us, a decent fee 🤞

57 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

There is only interest in him now because he has played for a few months without any major injuries.

It will be interesting to see if he is fit for Saturday and if so how he performs.

These are the sort of games that show what a player is really made of.

At the shareholders meeting which was only a couple of weeks ago Joe Savage was suggesting that they were only just getting to the stage of talking to him and his agent now which is probably quite a wise tactic.

If we shows signs of being too eager to extend his deal then that maybe gives him the upper hand. Play it cool and give the impression that yes it would be nice to keep him but no big deal if he leaves might make him think a bit.

If he is money oriented then no doubt he will be away to the highest bidder. He will know what sort of wage his brother is on and therefore have a benchmark as to what he can expect which will probably be much more than we can offer him.

Any club that signs him though with his injury record would be well advised to have him on a deal that is based on the number of games he plays rather than a straight wage.

It would be nice if he were to sign a new deal with a release clause and even better for him if he were to win a place back in the Scotland squad which would help him be noticed more especially if he plays well.

I watched him training yesterday and he looks ready to play on Saturday 👍 

I would be disappointed if we didn’t offer Souter a strong contract of 7 or 8k a week. If we are serious about challenging in the top 3 then we should have some players on bigger contracts….especially if they are performing like Souter does. I get it’s risky with him due to injuries but we should be doing it with all our best players that have resale value. Maybe we are for all I know lol.

48 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

I watched him training yesterday and he looks ready to play on Saturday 👍 

Agreed just watching them train just now and reckon he'll start on Saturday

18 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

I would be disappointed if we didn’t offer Souter a strong contract of 7 or 8k a week. If we are serious about challenging in the top 3 then we should have some players on bigger contracts….especially if they are performing like Souter does. I get it’s risky with him due to injuries but we should be doing it with all our best players that have resale value. Maybe we are for all I know lol.

Lets face it one of Robbie's predecessors handed out several deals like this to far worse players than Souttar.

30 minutes ago, jambocub said:

Agreed just watching them train just now and reckon he'll start on Saturday

Was Halkett training as well?

18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Lets face it one of Robbie's predecessors handed out several deals like this to far worse players than Souttar.

Very true.

I just think with the FOH money and good st sales we defo can afford a few ‘senior’ players to be earning higher end salaries. I don’t want us to go bust but a few players would be fine. 

32 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Very true.

I just think with the FOH money and good st sales we defo can afford a few ‘senior’ players to be earning higher end salaries. I don’t want us to go bust but a few players would be fine. 

Can't really disagree with that.