Souttar...............off soon.....?

Section Q

I’d be really disappointed if soapy left on the cheap. If he isn’t going to sign then we need to get what we can for him in the January window. We’ve had our fingers burnt before and it stings like hell when it happens.

I don’t think he owes us anything as there’s no loyalty with any player for any club these days. It’s purely business and if it wasn’t for injury he would’ve been sold a few years ago.

Fingers crossed he signs but the longer it goes then the likelihood will be that he’s moving on imo 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

• Naisys Tackle

We need our own guys writing stories in the papers.

Can't believe Eduaord and Ajer turned down £40mil bids from AC Milan to sign for small English clubs, for undisclosed fees.

Baffled.

Carl Fredrickson

I was going to add that during the summer we heard very little about potential signings but suddenly all and sundry (apart from me as I have no contacts at the club) are aware of how things are going with contract negotiations. Time to get a plumber in to sort the leaks.

My thoughts are that during the summer the club focussed on getting ins/outs sorted for players and staff and now that the window has closed are looking into new deals for those that are performing well. I think Mr Savage said something alone these lines at the recent shareholders meeting and I may have read it on an MSM website. 

I would love John Souttar to stay but I would hope he could keep fit. He is a defender who oozes class and I enjoy watching him play. However anything I say like this is tainted by his injury record and I think due to the long term injuries he may miss games with smaller niggles that others may play through to protect him against the risk of another long term one. 

If he stays, I will be delighted but if he goes I trust our recruitment team to find an adequate replacement. 

21 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I was going to add that during the summer we heard very little about potential signings but suddenly all and sundry (apart from me as I have no contacts at the club) are aware of how things are going with contract negotiations. Time to get a plumber in to sort the leaks.

My thoughts are that during the summer the club focussed on getting ins/outs sorted for players and staff and now that the window has closed are looking into new deals for those that are performing well. I think Mr Savage said something alone these lines at the recent shareholders meeting and I may have read it on an MSM website. 

I would love John Souttar to stay but I would hope he could keep fit. He is a defender who oozes class and I enjoy watching him play. However anything I say like this is tainted by his injury record and I think due to the long term injuries he may miss games with smaller niggles that others may play through to protect him against the risk of another long term one. 

If he stays, I will be delighted but if he goes I trust our recruitment team to find an adequate replacement. 

There are two possibilities here:

1. Its the papers shit-stirring ahead of our visit to their beloved Sevco.

2. The agents are leaking stories to drive interest in their player.

Given the timing, I'd say the former.

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There are two possibilities here:

1. Its the papers shit-stirring ahead of our visit to their beloved Sevco.

2. The agents are leaking stories to drive interest in their player.

Given the timing, I'd say the former.

I agree Re the newspaper but a few posters are claiming to have been told. They may or may not have. 

20 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I agree Re the newspaper but a few posters are claiming to have been told. They may or may not have. 

There were a number of ITK posters in the Transfer threads that were proven to be talking out their arses.

Vlad the impaler

Like others have said I’d be really disappointed in Souttar considering he’s sat out half his hearts career. He should do right by the club,extend by a year with a minimum release clause inserted. If he plays there will be lots of interest and both parties win. With McNamara now in his ear I think there’s only one place he’ll end up sadly 

4 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Like others have said I’d be really disappointed in Souttar considering he’s sat out half his hearts career. He should do right by the club,extend by a year with a minimum release clause inserted. If he plays there will be lots of interest and both parties win. With McNamara now in his ear I think there’s only one place he’ll end up sadly 

Even if he signs a year's extension he'd have to be sold either in January or next summer to get a reasonable wedge for him. If he's not sold we'd be back here next year with the risk of him leaving as a free agent

And if he plans to leave at either of the next 2 transfer windows then he'd be a bit daft to pen a new deal now.

I don't buy the narrative that he 'owes' Hearts because he got injured.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Stoke and Blackburn are both pushing hard for promotion to the EPL, Stoke in a playoff spot just now and Blackburn just below them. Rangers are Scottish champions, league leaders just now, and if they stay there they're either straight into the champions league group stage next season or have a guaranteed europa league group stage fallback (can't remember which)! 

To say there's no ambition in any of those options is just nonsense. 

Not when compared with what his options would be if he had a longer run without injury and some European games under his belt.

EPL minimum in that event

wattie exploited
13 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

All we did was honour his contract - should we have sacked him for getting injured?

no :rifle:

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

good post wattie.

so many people would rather get money for our players but I would rather watch our good players stay get a couple of good seasons out off them then cash in 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Aye, said about 2 year ago Souttar would end up at Celtic. 

😭

I think it's all but done behind the scenes. 

2 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

so many people would rather get money for our players but I would rather watch our good players stay get a couple of good seasons out off them then cash in 

I’d prefer to do both, if possible. 

1 hour ago, Beni said:

Even if he signs a year's extension he'd have to be sold either in January or next summer to get a reasonable wedge for him. If he's not sold we'd be back here next year with the risk of him leaving as a free agent

And if he plans to leave at either of the next 2 transfer windows then he'd be a bit daft to pen a new deal now.

I don't buy the narrative that he 'owes' Hearts because he got injured.

Agreed. I think it’s becoming more apparent that he has other irons in the fire, and from his point of view he’d be daft not to move upwards at this stage as he might never get the chance again. I think we’ll sell him cheap in January to be honest.

12 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Porteous = Bombscare and a liability. 

Boyle = Decent to be honest.

Doig = Defensively weak.

Nisbet = Can score a few.

None of these players will make them anything like the money we will make from Beni or Cammy. 

All these players will make good money for the Hobos. Our record is crap and yet to be proven. Devlin's only played two games ffs...

SuperstarSteve

Will be gone in january. Club will get a small return John gets his move. Win/win. Let’s just hope it’s no Celtic or rangers as they will be tapping him up the next few months. 

hopefully i’m wrong and he’s here for possible European football next season 

HeartsandonlyHearts

Lots of posts about cashing in on him come January. Are we actually able to do it if he says no? Not sure we can make him go to say Middlesboro if they were the only team offering us cash. Doesn’t he have a say in it?

21 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Will be gone in january. Club will get a small return John gets his move. Win/win. Let’s just hope it’s no Celtic or rangers as they will be tapping him up the next few months. 

Where is the 'win' for us in that scenario?

We couldn't afford to reinvest a small return to replace him.

Edit: i meant it will take more than a small return to replace him.

Edited by Nookie Bear

Forever Hearts
23 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

How is a small fee a "win" for Hearts? 

15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Where is the 'win' for us in that scenario?

We couldn't afford to reinvest a small return to replace him.

Edit: i meant it will take more than a small return to replace him.

If we got say £500k for Soapy in January and if we could do a deal with Bristol City for Taylor Moore for a similar amount it would be a small consolation and perhaps soften the blow a bit knowing we had a steady replacement. That said, there will be no scenario where we lose Soapy for a pittance that could be classed as a win. 

This might be the season when it genuinely would make sense to hold on to a player in January than sell him on the cheap. Assuming that we are still in the running for at least third place then the money for qualifying for Europe with a guarantee of a group stage would likely be more than any transfer fee we could get with 6months on his contract. Of course we could sell him and still come third or keep him and fail to come third, but for once I think it probably is worth the risk. (Even more so if it turns into a dream season and we are in the race for 1st or 2nd.)

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

If we got say £500k for Soapy in January and if we could do a deal with Bristol City for Taylor Moore for a similar amount it would be a small consolation and perhaps soften the blow a bit knowing we had a steady replacement. That said, there will be no scenario where we lose Soapy for a pittance that could be classed as a win. 

I suppose we have at least more confidence in our recruitment team to adequately replace him :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, said about 2 year ago Souttar would end up at Celtic. 

😭

I think it's all but done behind the scenes. 

Folk will quite rightly go mental if we sell him to Celtic (or Rangers) this season. If he lets his contract run down and signs for either of them in the summer, then quite frankly, feck him !!

Edited by JimmyCant

SuperstarSteve
20 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

How is a small fee a "win" for Hearts? 

Small fee or no fee? If he doesn’t sign that’s ours options. Small fee is a win for the club. The bonus is if he signs an extension.

I’m praying he signs a new deal and fights for what will be a damn near impossible league title win but I’m no confident granted Souttar seems a class act. 

4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'd rather keep him and get a 3/4 million windfall from the group stages of Europe than sell him for shit pence.

We have that option? 😄

SuperstarSteve
7 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Folk will quite rightly go mental if we sell him to Celtic (or Rangers) this season. If he lets his contract run down and signs for either of them in the summer, then quite frankly, feck him !!

Agreed. If we sell to either of the OF I’d be fuming. Just starting to believe that teams are wanting to be competitive in Scotland, selling to them just kills that belief and back to the usual mindset of here to survive and nothing else. 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We have that option? 😄

If we finish 3rd we'll get it. I'd rather keep him than sell him for 200k in January.

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Hopefully not, but I really can see him going there. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Section Q said:

All these players will make good money for the Hobos. Our record is crap and yet to be proven. Devlin's only played two games ffs...

It's not great, It's not that crap tho. 

Hickey, Lafferty, Sow, ( I forget the wee ex icy winger) all sold for good profit. 

1 minute ago, Japan Jambo said:

Here is hoping Savage has this under control!!

Indeed.

I think everyone believes in Souttar to play at the highest level, but it would be a real sore one for him to run his contract down. If a club is forced to pay decent money for him, it’s a sign he’s wanted. Plenty of clubs will take a punt on a free and if he doesn’t hit the ground running it’s the bench and some pishy loan moves. 

21 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Small fee or no fee? If he doesn’t sign that’s ours options. Small fee is a win for the club. The bonus is if he signs an extension.

I’m praying he signs a new deal and fights for what will be a damn near impossible league title win but I’m no confident granted Souttar seems a class act. 

No fee please!  (well unless we quantify what "small" is)

The important thing there is precedent.  If we show we'll sell a £5m player for £500k cos his contract is running out, we lose any power we have in that market and even when negotiating new deals with guys in similar positions.

I'd prefer and expect the club to have a valuation and its meet it or beat it, no matter where he is on his contract, certainly for our key players such as Soapy.

He'll sign a new deal.  Top lad.  2 years.  That's my guess!!!!

Forever Hearts
26 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

We signed Souttar with a view to developing him and selling him on for a couple of million. That was all the chat on here at the time. To get a small fee or no fee would be a massive balls up on our part. 

HamishMcGonagall

I'm all for keeping him until his contract runs out and I'm not questioning his professionalism at all, but you have to wonder, given his injury record, would he be in the right place mentally at the tail end of the season when we're hopefully challenging for success of any degree (for the league 😜, for a European place, scottish cup), and he's got one eye on his next move, knowing another injury could ruin any 'big' move he could get.

Byyy The Light
29 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

We signed Souttar with a view to developing him and selling him on for a couple of million. That was all the chat on here at the time. To get a small fee or no fee would be a massive balls up on our part. 

You are at it 🎣

Forever Hearts
Just now, Byyy The Light said:

You are at it 🎣

At it with what? Did we sign him to let him go for nothing a few years later? 

Byyy The Light
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

At it with what? Did we sign him to let him go for nothing a few years later? 

Aye the plan was to sign him and then injure the **** out of him for half his contract, stand by him and then watch him wander off for a big pay day after half a season back fit.  Can't blame the club on this one, if they offered him a deal while crocked and he never got back fit then the likes of you would be slaughtering them for that too.

Club can't win in the Souttar situation, he holds all the cards and it's up to him to do the right thing.  

complete control
59 minutes ago, OTT said:

Indeed.

I think everyone believes in Souttar to play at the highest level, but it would be a real sore one for him to run his contract down. If a club is forced to pay decent money for him, it’s a sign he’s wanted. Plenty of clubs will take a punt on a free and if he doesn’t hit the ground running it’s the bench and some pishy loan moves. 

Souttar is too slow to play at the highest level. Also injury prone.  He's better staying where he is. 

45 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

I'm all for keeping him until his contract runs out and I'm not questioning his professionalism at all, but you have to wonder, given his injury record, would he be in the right place mentally at the tail end of the season when we're hopefully challenging for success of any degree (for the league 😜, for a European place, scottish cup), and he's got one eye on his next move, knowing another injury could ruin any 'big' move he could get.

Kind of get what you're saying but I think John seems very mentally tough so don't see that creeping in.

Also his type of injuries just as likely anyway in a way

Forever Hearts
24 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Aye the plan was to sign him and then injure the **** out of him for half his contract, stand by him and then watch him wander off for a big pay day after half a season back fit.  Can't blame the club on this one, if they offered him a deal while crocked and he never got back fit then the likes of you would be slaughtering them for that too.

Club can't win in the Souttar situation, he holds all the cards and it's up to him to do the right thing.  

The first part of your post is nonsense. I agree Souttar should do the right thing and I already said that further up the thread. But the club needs to take some responsibility if he leaves for pennies or nothing. 

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Hardly. You can't blame the club for not extending his contract when he's laid on the treatment table for most of it.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Porteous = Bombscare and a liability. 

Boyle = Decent to be honest.

Doig = Defensively weak.

Nisbet = Can score a few.

None of these players will make them anything like the money we will make from Beni or Cammy. 

This, although who knows about Beni and Cammy. I'd rather have 3 years of Beni in the team than 1 year and a few million, but I'd settle for 2.5 years and some sort of fee in the last year of his contract. 

One reason we have lost our best players for nothing or for a lower fee than they're worth at the end of their contract is they were good enough players to have good options, and they knew it. Paterson and Hickey for example.

The only player Hibs had like that recently is John McGinn and he never even signed a new contract for them, Hibs just put him on a long contract when they signed him as we've done with Beni. Even then Hibs got a fraction of what he's worth.

The only offer Boyle got was from Aberdeen (surprisingly IMO so maybe he's just found his level) so no wonder he re-signed. Hibs admitted they had no concrete offers for the others, certainly not from the kind of clubs looking at Hickey and Paterson.

Nisbet has already handed in a transfer request once after alleged interest from a lower championship team and if you look at his stats he shouldn't even be in the Scotland squad. Our LCB is ahead of him. Just look at Nisbet's shot accuracy and goal conversion stats - terrible! https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/top-scorers. If anything Tony Watt should be pushing for a Scotland inclusion ahead of him.

Naisys Tackle

The hard facts are he has already turned down massive money from Sunderland at an early age and has been a bawhair away from retirement a couple of times. He’s probably looking at that, plus the fact his wee brother is on more money on him in a bigger window than him and wants a piece of that pie.  There’s plenty players that we have signed on big money to end up absolute diddies Thant owe the club more. If he goes in the summer to make some money for him I will understand. 

35 minutes ago, complete control said:

Souttar is too slow to play at the highest level. Also injury prone.  He's better staying where he is. 

I actually think the boy Moore is as good as, if not better than Souttar and he can’t even get a game for Bristol City. Souttar has a way to go before he gets a look in at what we’d call a big club. Injury prone, slow. Not the finished article by any stretch. No where near good enough for the EPL

SuperstarSteve
6 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

The hard facts are he has already turned down massive money from Sunderland at an early age and has been a bawhair away from retirement a couple of times. He’s probably looking at that, plus the fact his wee brother is on more money on him in a bigger window than him and wants a piece of that pie.  There’s plenty players that we have signed on big money to end up absolute diddies Thant owe the club more. If he goes in the summer to make some money for him I will understand. 

Harry currently earns 2k more than John per week. Granted harry will be on a shedload more once he gets his move.

If John Souttar is chasing the money he will leave end of season for nothing as that’s his best bet a bigger wage due to no fee being needed.