Wallace remembered….

Clerry Jambo

been here before

Any of us around at the time will remember the bold Wallace for so much more than the Hibs 'merger'. Its always going to be there as part of the bigger picture of Edinburgh football but what he done for Hearts, and to an extent Scottish football as a whole should never be over shadowed by it.

From a yo-yo club with the debt collectors knocking at the door, from a club of journeymen and players not fit to wear the jersey to the most exciting team for decades, from fighting on the terraces to the Panini stickers family enclosure and discounted supporters buses, from a ramshackle crumbling old ground to layingbthe foundations of the redevelopment we see now, from first division mediocrity to that roller coaster of a season in 85-86. From league games at Alloa and QOS to qualifying and winning European ties and a hundred other things, From Back From The Brink and 'I'll see you on the highways and byeways',.

He put pride back into the club, made us believe again. By **** they were an adventure at times but those Mercer years were probably the best Ill ever experience as a Hearts fan.

Edited by been here before

9 minutes ago, been here before said:

Any of us around at the time will remember the bold Wallace for so much more than the Hibs 'merger'. Its always going to be there as part of the bigger picture of Edinburgh football but what he done for Hearts, and to an extent Scottish football as a whole should never be over shadowed by it.

From a yo-yo club with the debt collectors knocking at the door, from a club of journeymen and players not fit to wear the jersey to the most exciting team for decades, from fighting on the terraces to the Panini stickers family enclosure and discounted supporters buses, from a ramshackle crumbling old ground to layingbthe foundations of the redevelopment we see now, from first division mediocrity to that roller coaster of a season in 85-86. From league games at Alloa and QOS to qualifying and winning European ties and a hundred other things, From Back From The Brink and 'I'll see you on the highways and byeways', those Mercer years were probably the best Ill ever experience as a club.

Excellent post

My dad was a friend of Mercer. He always said Wallace married money so she was the money and the brains and he lived as a larger than life character. One story was that Wallace invited my mum and dad to stay at his house but when they turned up he'd forgotten to tell his wife! Mercer stayed in a big house but they only heated a part of it so my parents ended up shivering the night away in a freezing room! LOL If only Trip Advisor was around at the time!

Edited by Spellczech

17 minutes ago, been here before said:

From a yo-yo club with the debt collectors knocking at the door, from a club of journeymen and players not fit to wear the jersey to the most exciting team for decades, from fighting on the terraces to the Panini stickers family enclosure and discounted supporters buses, from a ramshackle crumbling old ground to layingbthe foundations of the redevelopment we see now, from first division mediocrity to that roller coaster of a season in 85-86. From league games at Alloa and QOS to qualifying and winning European ties and a hundred other things, From Back From The Brink and 'I'll see you on the highways and byeways',.

He put pride back into the club, made us believe again. By **** they were an adventure at times but those Mercer years were probably the best Ill ever experience as a Hearts fan.

Excellent post 👍

Didn’t know about the family enclosure being Mercer’s idea. That’s pretty cool and forward thinking. Do we have any acknowledgement of him at the stadium? 

Wallace was "The First person" to save the club, followed by Mrs Budge. 

At a push I could include Vlad but wont.

Hopefully never have to be saved again.

38 minutes ago, been here before said:

All of this for me. Brings back some great Hearts supporting memories for me just reading that and of course, Wallace did so much more than the takeover bid, (for Hearts and Scottish Football as a whole).

55 minutes ago, been here before said:

Great Post BHB 👍

Mr Mercer saved this club from the hands of the Hibee bookie Kenny Waugh who was the only other offer at the time. 

Hearts fans of the time know just how much we owe WM. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Wallace had sparks coming out of his backside with ideas. Not all of them came off but those that did saved and transformed a club that had been in decline for many years.

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Great Post BHB 👍

Mr Mercer saved this club from the hands of the Hibee bookie Kenny Waugh who was the only other offer at the time. 

Hearts fans of the time know just how much we owe WM. 

I always think Archie Martin deserves more credit for opening up the club to allow Mercer to come in. That eventually ended nearly 20 years of decline that I had grown up with. Not even sure if Archie is still around as he’s been long forgotten. 

1 minute ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Wallace had sparks coming out of his backside with ideas. Not all of them came off but those that did saved and transformed a club that had been in decline for many years.

Still wish I had won that house by buying a programme. 

1 hour ago, been here before said:

We'll said sir. 👏

Very good post, still have my back from the brink video somewhere, 

Some great days & some forgettable ones, but it was some journey and I'm glad I was on board,   thanks for the memories Wallace mercer, RIP never forgotten......

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

The Miller Home - my dad worked for them at the time, (retired 2 decades now).

As already stated he was so much more than the Hibs thing.

I was 13 when Wallace gained control of the club and we were a mess. To say the least.

By the time I was 18, or near enough, we were on the verge of being Scottish champions. Wallace, his board and Doddie did that. A remarkable turn around.

He was desperately unlucky not to win silverware as owner and I'll always be grateful to the "Great Waldo" for saving my/our club.

The Mercer days provided many fantastic memories.

It was a great time to be a Jambo.

Edited by martoon

Was that the St. Mirren quarter final in 1982?

What a night that was.

The one at Cameron Toll? £1 a ticket or something I think it was.

Ticket = Program.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

2 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

You can kid yourself on all you want that Vladimir Romanov didn't save Hearts but it won't change the fact that he did. Had he not stepped in there would be flats on McLeod Street. 

3 minutes ago, martoon said:

Was that the St. Mirren quarter final in 1982?

What a night that was.

No it was for the home 2nd leg of the LC Semi Final. 

Sold the programmes for £1 in the weeks leading up to the game. 

They were on sale all over the Lothians. Got mine in Asda at the Jewel fifteen numbers away from the winning programme, must have been in doing his shopping at the same time as me. 

A modern home first prize, car for second prize. 

That was just like Wallace full of ideas, he could sell sand to the Arabs😁

He was like a breath of fresh air to Hearts and we were never far from the news. 

3 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Iain Mercer - son of former Hearts owner Wallace: 'I wish he wasn't remembered purely for Hibs merger episode'

He is. He absolutely is. There's only one set of fans who remember him only for that.

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Great post.

1 minute ago, Boof said:

He is. He absolutely is. There's only one set of fans who remember him only for that.

Great post.

You are absolutely right and their opinion counts for nothing about that time in our history, in fact their opinion on anything that has to do with us is irrelevant.

section s heart
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks for posting. Good article. We owe Mercer a lot.

(Didn't realise drinking Beaujolais placed me in the 1980s though)

Beaujolais Nouveau day (in November) was a big thing in London in the late 80s, used to be a wee delivery to my work which made the afternoon a bit unproductive. The wine wasn't at all what it was cracked up to be iirc

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks for posting. Good article. We owe Mercer a lot.

(Didn't realise drinking Beaujolais placed me in the 1980s though)

I find it very disconcerting that the 80s started over 40 years ago. Can’t beat a cheeky Beaujolais. 

jambos are go!

Never bought into the love in for Wallace Mercer. Like Robinson and Deans after him he made money out of his ownership of Hearts. Paid £375k and sold for around £2million  IIRC.

13 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Never bought into the love in for Wallace Mercer. Like Robinson and Deans after him he made money out of his ownership of Hearts. Paid £375k and sold for around £2million  IIRC.

I remember you saying on here that you preferred the Waugh bid. 🤔

I loved Wallace Mercer. An absolute legend and he had a fascinating charisma. Forever grateful to him for everything. 

saved our club as did Vladimir and Ann Budge .  We owe a lot to each of them

3 hours ago, been here before said:

:spoton:

Fort Vallance
36 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

So you're just airbrushing what he put in / earned for the club during that period ?

1 hour ago, corryjambo said:

You are absolutely right and their opinion counts for nothing about that time in our history, in fact their opinion on anything that has to do with us is irrelevant.

Absolutely right.

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

He probably took a far bigger risk than Ann Budge. He put his home up as collateral for Hearts' debt. It was the only way to keep the bank at bay. He didn't have an organisation like FOH backing him up, mainly due to no internet being around.

He has a big place in Hearts' history and will never be forgotten by those of us who suffered mediocrity and amateurish running of our club before he turned up. His press conferences were always eagerly awaited and he knew how to keep the media on his side.

As for the Hibs takeover bid, it is always forgotten by those moronic Hibs followers that he was approached by a Hibs director over that episode, not the other way round. Duff and Gray had run them into the ground financially right under the noses of their adoring fans. What a bunch of mugs Hibs fans were to be taken in by those two. It could be said that Wallace saved them.

jambos are go!
51 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

So you're just airbrushing what he put in / earned for the club during that period ?

Just saying what I think. 

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

No it was for the home 2nd leg of the LC Semi Final. 

Sold the programmes for £1 in the weeks leading up to the game. 

They were on sale all over the Lothians. Got mine in Asda at the Jewel fifteen numbers away from the winning programme, must have been in doing his shopping at the same time as me. 

A modern home first prize, car for second prize. 

That was just like Wallace full of ideas, he could sell sand to the Arabs😁

He was like a breath of fresh air to Hearts and we were never far from the news. 

You're right, ld.

I'm sure there was something, too, for the St. Mirren QF but I can't remember what.

Or l could just be misremembering the entire thing? 😄

It certainly felt that there was something happening at Hearts that would finally drag us away from the long decline.

Edited by martoon

5 hours ago, been here before said:

As Clerry said 👍🏻

With all the positive views of Mercer on JKB, I sometimes think I must be imagining most folk being delighted when the FTB finally left. Or the fans chanting "Mercer get tae ****". Or supporters gathering outside the main stand, hurling abuse at him and the rest of the board. 

millerjames398
5 hours ago, been here before said:

"I'll see you on highways and bye ways" absolute classic line, from back from the brink👍🏼🇱🇻

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, Norm said:

With all the positive views of Mercer on JKB, I sometimes think I must be imagining most folk being delighted when the FTB finally left. Or the fans chanting "Mercer get tae ****". Or supporters gathering outside the main stand, hurling abuse at him and the rest of the board. 

Absolutely par for the course from some Hearts fans until the blessed Ann appeared. 

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, section s heart said:

Beaujolais Nouveau day (in November) was a big thing in London in the late 80s, used to be a wee delivery to my work which made the afternoon a bit unproductive. The wine wasn't at all what it was cracked up to be iirc

You remember correctly. I doubt Wallace ever touched Beaujolais Nouveau which was a cheap marketing gimmick which seems to have died now. 

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

As for the Hibs takeover bid, it is always forgotten by those moronic Hibs followers that he was approached by a Hibs director over that episode, not the other way round. Duff and Gray had run them into the ground financially right under the noses of their adoring fans. What a bunch of mugs Hibs fans were to be taken in by those two. It could be said that Wallace saved them.

Absolutely correct !!  It took Wallace's audacious offer to wake these muppets up.

2 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

So presumably you loathe Ann Budge too, for making an even bigger profit  out of rescuing Hearts ?     

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I always think Archie Martin deserves more credit for opening up the club to allow Mercer to come in. That eventually ended nearly 20 years of decline that I had grown up with. Not even sure if Archie is still around as he’s been long forgotten. 

Very much agree with that Dave.     Not sure about Archie's whereabouts  today, but about 15 years ago he turned up at my house as an agent for Keyline to measure up for a new kitchen.   Once I realised who he was, we had a good old chat about Hearts and start of the Romanov years.

3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Absolutely correct !!  It took Wallace's audacious offer to wake these muppets up.

So presumably you loathe Ann Budge too, for making an even bigger profit  out of rescuing Hearts ?     

Very much agree with that Dave.     Not sure about Archie's whereabouts  today, but about 15 years ago he turned up at my house as an agent for Keyline to measure up for a new kitchen.   Once I realised who he was, we had a good old chat about Hearts and start of the Romanov years.

Archie worked with my mum for a few years in the early nineties in space kitchens which was situated at haymarket. Think they were connected to westherseal in some way. 

Obviously the end of Wallace Mercers tenure was fraught with protests etc but it can't be denied he was part of a team that put Hearts back at the forefront of Scottish football. 

26 minutes ago, Norm said:

Very few "saviours" of a football club retain their popularity with the fans who initially greeted him/her and enjoyed the ride.   The Glazers, Ashley, Fergus McCann etc.     Fickle football fans .......       Ann might be an exception.

42 minutes ago, Norm said:

That’s how a lot a great people leave. The glory days stop and people want you out. We can still remember the great days.

Wallace gave us 1986, although we lost I was still hooked on Hearts after that season. I was about 10 years old. 

Francis Albert

Even the board in our glory years in the 50's came under attack especially after selling Mackay and Young. In fact our success back then was down to Davie McLean and Tommy Walker and of course the players despite rather than because of the board.

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Agreed. Archie Martin and Ian Watt paved the way for progress but then backed the wrong person to take over and had to go.

For those who dislike Mercer what do they feel for the pieman?

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Even the board in our glory years in the 50's came under attack especially after selling Mackay and Young. In fact our success back then was down to Davie McLean and Tommy Walker and of course the players despite rather than because of the board.

I will tell my chum, his grandson, that some remember his role🤤

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, deejtee said:

I will tell my chum, his grandson, that some remember his role🤤

He should certainly be remembered. He created the greatest team in Hearts history. 

Edited by Francis Albert