Alan Anderson & Jim Townsend capped for Scotland

jbee647

At half time tonight Alex Ferguson was presented with a Scotland cap tonight as the 1967 Scotland tour to Australia have now been recognised as official international games

Alan Anderson’s son was also presented with a cap on behalf of his father, the late Jim Townsend and Jim Cruickshank also played for Scotland on this tour, this will add to Cruickies previous measly 6 caps and Anderson and Townsend will now be added to the Hearts international roll of honour 

Belated congratulations to them all

Edited by jbee647

8 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

At half time tonight Alex Ferguson was presented with a Scotland cap tonight as the 1967 Scotland tour to Australia have now been recognised as official international games

Alan Anderson’s son was also presented with a cap on behalf of his father, the late Jim Townsend and Jim Cruickshank also played for Scotland on this tour, this will add to Cruickies previous measly 6 caps and Anderson and Townsend will now be added to the Hearts international roll of honour 

Belated congratulations to them all

About time. 

It’s so sad to see big Alan looking so frail.

Well deserved recognition for both players.

Great news for Alan Anderson and recognition at last for Jim Townsend. who should have been given more opportunities.  Cruickie, of course, should have 10 times the number of caps he has. I remember two shut outs in the Home Internationals (including against England) in 1970 but Bobby Clark ("The Statue") was selected instead for the third game and barely had a shot to save.

I believe you don't get a physical caps per game, but more one cap per season of fixtures.....?

So did these guys get given their cap for their season, but have several 'caps' awarded to their appearance records?

Or from the summer tour and games against a variety of nations  including 3 games v. Australia, only  only one of the Australian games was formally against an opposition nationally recognised 'A' team?

Here's another photo of that era of Jim Townshend with Jim Irvine and George Miller. Miller, (for the sake of younger fans), was our captain late sixties before being transferred to Falkirk.....

images (8).jpeg

Edited by Section Q

7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Davie Holt surely has other caps for Scotland. 

Iirc we signed Holt and Cruickshank from Queens Park around the same time. 

He does. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

He does. 

I remember one cap in particular, against Austria at Hampden. 

The Austrians had been sticking the boot in all night and had a player sent off, when the referee sent off another for an assault they went crazy and were pushing and shoving the referee and assaulting various Scottish players. The referee had enough and abandoned the game with Scotland leading 4-1(I think) 

That's the gist of the story from my memory🤔

The game was meant to be a friendly 😂

jambos are go!
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

The Austrians had been sticking the boot in all night and had a player sent off, when the referee sent off another for an assault they went crazy and were pushing and shoving the referee and assaulting various Scottish players. The referee had enough and abandoned the game with Scotland leading 4-1(I think) 

All true. I was there.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, luckydug said:

My first Scotland game.

Was 4-1 when it was abandoned but it runs in my mind it was after the 3rd or 4th sending off.

Francis Albert

I remember their inclusion in that squad and the fact at the time they were not given caps. They have now deservedly got them. But the fact they now have in aggregate more caps than Conn Bauld and Wardhaugh together? To some extent it reflects the fact that caps come cheaper with far more internationals but for me it makes the measure of caps as a historic caparison even more meaningless.

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, luckydug said:

Davie Holt surely has other caps for Scotland. 

Iirc we signed Holt and Cruickshank from Queens Park around the same time. 

Holt was a very good player in the first Hearts team I really remember watching. Chris Shevlane too.

Edited by Francis Albert

12 hours ago, Section Q said:

Here's another photo of that era of Jim Townshend with Jim Irvine and George Miller. Miller, (for the sake of younger fans), was our captain late sixties before being transferred to Falkirk.....

images (8).jpeg

Jim Townshend was a class player until Doug Baillie shattered his leg at Falkirk!

7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Great photo of a fine man.

Big Alan ,a really nice guy the bus used to leave from his pub many a good trip had

13 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

I believe you don't get a physical caps per game, but more one cap per season of fixtures.....?

So did these guys get given their cap for their season, but have several 'caps' awarded to their appearance records?

Or from the summer tour and games against a variety of nations  including 3 games v. Australia, only  only one of the Australian games was formally against an opposition nationally recognised 'A' team?

The GFA are so tight you get 1 actual cap!

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 09/10/2021 at 15:30, Ked said:

Alan Anderson is my man for scoring from my plot.

Glad to hear this.

He always reminds me of our Ajax top .

I can still see his photo and profile on page 3 of the pink. I used to cut the Hearts players out every second week.

Favorite food - Shrimp Scampi

Car - Ford Cortina

etc. etc. etc.

Big fan of Alan Anderdson.

2 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I can still see his photo and profile on page 3 of the pink. I used to cut the Hearts players out every second week.

Favorite food - Shrimp Scampi

Car - Ford Cortina

etc. etc. etc.

Big fan of Alan Anderdson.

Scampi was a big thing in those days. 😄

As I said in another thread Davie Holt is the first ‘contemporary’ Hearts player that I have a memory off. 

I talked to Alan Anderson quite a bit during our bus journey to and from Contalmaison in 2008(?) as he sat just in front of me on the bus. A lot of interesting chat and lovely guy. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

As I said in another thread Davie Holt is the first ‘contemporary’ Hearts player that I have a memory off. 

Ha .. Davie Holt is the first player I recall from my early youth 😊

Maroon Sailor

Alan Anderson used to have a sports shop on Gorgie Road. Pretty sure my Mum got me a Hearts scarf from there. Still got it to this day.

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Alan Anderson used to have a sports shop on Gorgie Road. Pretty sure my Mum got me a Hearts scarf from there. Still got it to this day.

He had a pub in Infirmary Street as well - the Pivot. I remember sitting there in my late teens thinking ‘wow, that’s Alan Anderson’. I had a few pints as well of course. 😎

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

He had a pub in Infirmary Street as well - the Pivot. I remember sitting there in my late teens thinking ‘wow, that’s Alan Anderson’. I had a few pints as well of course. 😎

he did indeed - used to go across there with a jug from the original Kushi's and get three pints to wash down the curry and take it back over the road at the end of the meal - that's what passed for lunch when I was a student (aka the good old days)

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

1628247762811.thumb.png.b1b39308ca5e54c97cb06c670b386812.png

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Thinking wistfully ‘Rosewell or Australia?’. 🤔

Then plumped for Aberdeen! 🙄

That was a strange transfer. 

Heard he had a big fall out with the Board and they gave him a free! 🤷‍♂️