Scotland V Israel/Faroes. Official double match thread.

John Findlay

4 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

India and Faroes probably have the same number of people playing football! I spent three months in India. Saw loads of kids playing cricket and none playing football.

10% of population of Faroes are registered footballers. They are making an effort.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/58863401.amp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• ri Alban

• Maroon Sailor

• Harry Potter

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Football is very popular in Bengal. 

And Goa, down to the Portuguese influence (imperialism).

1 hour ago, Boab said:

I'll hang off pondering the play offs till after the Moldova game.

In true Scottish style, this could still go wrong. 😂

Austria are now out of it and it wouldn't surprise me if Israel take even a win there.

All good though, it wouldn't be us to qualify normally !

When is the play off draw 

A_A wehatethehibs
28 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

When is the play off draw 

Groups end on 16th November so presumably on that date after the final whistle 

4 hours ago, Boab said:

I'll hang off pondering the play offs till after the Moldova game.

In true Scottish style, this could still go wrong. 😂

Austria are now out of it and it wouldn't surprise me if Israel take even a win there.

All good though, it wouldn't be us to qualify normally !

Austria are guaranteed a playoff spot, so they'll be looking to hit some form. And they will be desperate to avenge the 5-2 they suffered at the hands of Israel.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Groups end on 16th November so presumably on that date after the final whistle 

Would never be that quick. 🤣

26 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Austria are guaranteed a playoff spot, so they'll be looking to hit some form. And they will be desperate to avenge the 5-2 they suffered at the hands of Israel.

How are they guaranteed one? 

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nation's league group winners.

I thought there had to be a new nations league starting soon. Was the last one not for the euros? 

I'm confused 

A_A wehatethehibs
32 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Would never be that quick. 🤣

Isn’t that usually the way it happens? I dunno when the 2nd round begins, maybe they make a big song and dance of it 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I'm confused.

Is this not the world cup qualifying.

Francis Albert
18 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

53,000 (Dunfermline, roughly) - but it's not all about population, is it? The Faroes have a similar FIFA ranking to India, whose population is 1.38 billion.

Faroes not so great at cricket. Anyway my insult shamed Scotland into scoring the instant I posted!

Fozzyonthefence
6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I see you are logical and think that outcomes will follow to a logical conclusion, in terms of who we are more / less likely to beat... You can’t have been following Scotland for too long… :lol: 

I’ve been watching Scotland since the 1978 World Cup and remember us qualifying for 5 World Cups in a row, sometimes by beating top teams like Spain and France. But these days are long gone, we simply don’t beat tier 1 teams anymore so to suggest we have more chance if we’re drawn against Spain or Portugal rather than the likes of Romania is laughable.  

Look at our route to the Euros - we beat nobody of note and in the proper qualifiers got our arses well and truly felt by both Belgium and an average Russia team.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm calling it, we'll hammer Moldova 0-1 in their back yard and that's us in the play offs, then we'll beat the Czechs (I'd be delighted with them), and meet Serbia again, and beat them too, is that enough, or do we need to win 3 rounds? 🤔

If we hold on to a seeded place, Wales or Austria would be my preference of the six we could draw. 

Samuel Camazzola
58 minutes ago, benny said:

I'm confused.

We went through Nations League playoff to qualify for Euros. 

In the last Nations League, we lost out to Czech Republic to have the playoff 'safety net' for World Cup qualification. 

We can only rely on a second spot from our World Cup qualification section to get into the play offs. 

Three nations from the play offs will join the 10 group winners at the Finals next year. 

World Cup 2022: How far are Scotland from qualifying for Qatar? - BBC Sport

As it stands, the unseeded teams Scotland could face in the semis are Norway, Romania, Ukraine, Albania, Wales, or Austria.

This might have been spotted already. 

I can't remember when we last had a good result against Wales, Norway would be tough, Austria ditto at least theywould be home games.

What are the opinions?

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

World Cup 2022: How far are Scotland from qualifying for Qatar? - BBC Sport

As it stands, the unseeded teams Scotland could face in the semis are Norway, Romania, Ukraine, Albania, Wales, or Austria.

This might have been spotted already. 

I can't remember when we last had a good result against Wales, Norway would be tough, Austria ditto at least theywould be home games.

What are the opinions?

Ukraine please. Couldn't comment on Romania as I haven't seen any of their games but I can't think of any decent Romanian players.

Wales are a team I'd want to avoid, they are a tough side and Norway have Haaland and our defence couldn't cope with him. So aye, Ukraine imo are the weak link there and we've beaten them fairly recently. 

1 hour ago, benny said:

I'm confused.

Yes, but Austria have a second chance with The nation's league. Just like Scotland had for the Euros.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ukraine please. Couldn't comment on Romania as I haven't seen any of their games but I can't think of any decent Romanian players.

Wales are a team I'd want to avoid, they are a tough side and Norway have Haaland and our defence couldn't cope with him. So aye, Ukraine imo are the weak link there and we've beaten them fairly recently. 

Ukraine would pump us.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

2007 from memory. Have we played them more recently? 

I wouldn't be keen on them and would fear being ragdolled by their forward line. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

2007 from memory. Have we played them more recently? 

I wouldn't be keen on them and would fear being ragdolled by their forward line. 

Just checked, you're correct. 👍

4 minutes ago, Homme said:

Ukraine would pump us.

No they wouldn't. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Just checked, you're correct. 👍

I recall McCulloch scoring in the game we won. 

In the reverse fixture, Robbie started in defence. It was quite a grim performance from us in Kiev. 

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Faroes not so great at cricket. Anyway my insult shamed Scotland into scoring the instant I posted!

👍 Ok, you're on insults for the Moldova game.

(I'm sure you'll manage!)

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

In the reverse fixture, Robbie started in defence. It was quite a grim performance from us in Kiev. 

Remember that game in Kiev, Robbie had a mare. Sure Bob got whipped by Shevchenko and Elvis took him out and was sent off. 

14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Romania have a solid defense. Hagi for Rangers gets a game for them

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Remember that game in Kiev, Robbie had a mare. Sure Bob got whipped by Shevchenko and Elvis took him out and was sent off. 

I'm sure it was a game we had to suffer through Rob McLean's ropey commentary where he kept saying it was Robbie's 'dayboo'. Fud! 

World Cup 2022 Qualifiers: Who has already qualified? Who is in danger? Groups, fixtures, format | Daily Mail Online

The race for second place is in reality a race to reach the last 12 who will then split into 3 groups of 4 who will play a 'semi-final' then a final for those last qualification places

10 group runners up plus 2 best from the Euro Nations League who have not already qualified

It would be nice to get a home 'semi final ' draw but the 'final' may well be an away tie if we are successful at the semi final stage.

Not a massive scotland fan these days but Clarke does seem to be making a difference to the national teams fortunes, he's like a Robbie Neilson or Derek Mcinnes, in that he divides opinion of the support but always seems to get results.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Not a massive scotland fan these days but Clarke does seem to be making a difference to the national teams fortunes, he's like a Robbie Neilson or Derek Mcinnes, in that he divides opinion of the support but always seems to get results.

Scotland are still miles away from being a really good team.

The results scraped against Israel and Faroe Islands paper over some pretty dire stuff

Clarke would have been on a shoogly peg but for 2 late bundled in winners

Having said that the players seem to be playing for him and keep digging him out of a hole.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Isn’t that usually the way it happens? I dunno when the 2nd round begins, maybe they make a big song and dance of it 

Play offs are in March 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’ve been watching Scotland since the 1978 World Cup and remember us qualifying for 5 World Cups in a row, sometimes by beating top teams like Spain and France. But these days are long gone, we simply don’t beat tier 1 teams anymore so to suggest we have more chance if we’re drawn against Spain or Portugal rather than the likes of Romania is laughable.  

Look at our route to the Euros - we beat nobody of note and in the proper qualifiers got our arses well and truly felt by both Belgium and an average Russia team.

You know full well it’s a tongue in cheek nod to Scotlands infamous history of rising to the big occasion, but flopping against the minnows. Thankfully Clarke does seem to be changing that script and getting these bread and butter points (touch wood) and getting wins against teams we are close to. 

But folk banging on about needing to be seeded for a nice easy draw like Romania… aye they’ll be easier than Spain eh :lol: sure they will. For me, seeded, unseeded, it’s going to be a hard couple of games against in form 2nd placed European sides we just need to get our names in there. All comes down to Moldova away. Then the Denmark game takes care of itself. I say I would happily take Spain, Romania, whoever it ends up, because we’d be in there and that’s the main thing. Get our name in that hat 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Was in Majorca on holiday in Oct.

The game was on the Sat, we went 2-0 very early. Won 3-1.

We then went away on the Wed and totally ****ed up. Can't remember who against.

Edit

It was Georgia. 

Edited by Tommy Brown

To cheer all Scots up a bit, the US just lost to Panama and now we're losing to Costa Rica.

We are not very good at soccer.

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

To cheer all Scots up a bit, the US just lost to Panama and now we're losing to Costa Rica.

Neither are we, we're also shite at fitba.

7 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

you managed to get the W v costa rica. looking at the line ups for both games it looks like it was more of a first team v costa rica

manaliveits105
12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm sure it was a game we had to suffer through Rob McLean's ropey commentary where he kept saying it was Robbie's 'dayboo'. Fud! 

Was at that game a hairy few days

neo nazi skinheads attacked Scotland fans sitting in main square including women and children night before - some of them got more than they bargained for - attacked Scots March to ground before game and whole atmosphere was pretty tense - after game police lined streets 

- still a great place and the women 👌

8 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I don't think that's true. Maybe not as good as they were in the previous decade when they had a host of top players but there will come a time when the US hits peak football and they will compete at a WC. Although, this also highlights how bullshit the World Rankings are because the US are meant to be 13th in the world. 

17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, forgot about that other way in for them.

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Was at that game a hairy few days

neo nazi skinheads attacked Scotland fans sitting in main square including women and children night before - some of them got more than they bargained for - attacked Scots March to ground before game and whole atmosphere was pretty tense - after game police lined streets 

- still a great place and the women 👌

It's nuts that there are still places that have these groups that just want to cause bother. 

Just before the 2018 World Cup, there was a programme (either BBC or Channel 4) showing the organised fights in Russia. They'd rock up in isolated fields for a scrap complete with their own medical guy then shake hands at the end. 

On 13/10/2021 at 19:16, Homme said:

Ukraine would pump us.

Agreed, I think they would gub us. A bunch of big lads who have some pretty skillful players like Yarmelenko, Zinchenko, Konoplyanka, and had a great run in the Euros. 

Ideally, we want Romania or Norway out of that lot, teams that missed out on the Euros and haven't really done anything special in recent years. 

11 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think that's true. Maybe not as good as they were in the previous decade when they had a host of top players but there will come a time when the US hits peak football and they will compete at a WC. Although, this also highlights how bullshit the World Rankings are because the US are meant to be 13th in the world. 

It's a weird one. Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey were EPL-standard players in their primes but not world beaters, but we made the quarter-finals with them once and routinely made the group stages. Meanwhile right now we have Christian Pulisic, who is very likely the greatest player the US has ever produced, and decent share of other players in top leagues, and we struggle to even qualify.

14 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Neither are we, we're also shite at fitba.

I generally roll my eyes at the "it's football, not soccer!" linguistic purists, because soccer is a perfectly fine short version of "association football" that can't be confused with American-style football, but I'd be 100% on board if we got this country calling it "tha fitba." :lol: