Facts

Greedy Jambo

1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

More than half the states in the USA, 27, are further north than Canada. 

It would have been 28 if Trump had managed to buy Greenland. :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• redjambo

• milky_26

• JudyJudyJudy

1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

More than half the states in the USA, 27, are further north than Canada. 

We'll, further north than the southern most tip of Canada certainly. 

Samuel Camazzola

Just saw a clip for the new Halloween film. Reminded me that Michael Myers mask is a mould of William Shatner's face from his Star Trek days. 

On 13/10/2021 at 00:24, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Not saying you're wrong Uly but I was always led to believe the 1st changed to the 12th because of the style of calendar we used, Gregorian to Julian or something. I know it caused riots in England because the "plebs" thought they were losing 11 days wages.

Aughrim was the more commemorated event through the 18th century, which is no surprise because it was the battle that guaranteed the Williamite supremacy.  The changes in the commemoration followed the foundation of the Orange Order in 1795.  In effect, the Boyne made for a better "origin story" than Aughrim, even though Aughrim was the more important historical event.  In those days, it was common for battles to be resolved very quickly.  Once there was a significant breakthrough in one part of the battlefield, the side with the disadvantage would usually surrender or retreat quickly with a strong rearguard cover to try to prevent heavy casualties.  That's exactly what happened at the Boyne, but because Aughrim was a "make-or-break" battle neither side was willing to retreat or surrender quickly.  Consequently, Aughrim was very bloody, and crucially Williamite losses were very heavy.  But at the Boyne very few of the WIlliamite army were killed, while after some losses the losing side did the usual and legged it - and the history records that the Jacobite rearguard fought well, and that William had no interest in seeing his son-in-law killed.  Add to that the fact that William and James were both present at the Boyne but absent from Aughrim, and you have a perfect narrative of an easy hammering of both James and his army.  The adoption of the Gregorian calendar was helpful in providing cover for the switch, but it wasn't the cause.  That said, nationalists and republicans in NI got amusement out of the notion of the Orange Order marching on the 12th of July at the behest of Pope Gregory.

Prior to the adoption of the Gregorian calendar in England, New Year's Day was March 25th, and there remains an echo of that.  When New Year's Day was shifted to 1 January, businesses refused to pay taxes early, so the start of the tax year remained as it was - but bumped out by 12 days to April 6th.

Doctor FinnBarr
6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Aughrim was the more commemorated event through the 18th century, which is no surprise because it was the battle that guaranteed the Williamite supremacy.  The changes in the commemoration followed the foundation of the Orange Order in 1795.  In effect, the Boyne made for a better "origin story" than Aughrim, even though Aughrim was the more important historical event.  In those days, it was common for battles to be resolved very quickly.  Once there was a significant breakthrough in one part of the battlefield, the side with the disadvantage would usually surrender or retreat quickly with a strong rearguard cover to try to prevent heavy casualties.  That's exactly what happened at the Boyne, but because Aughrim was a "make-or-break" battle neither side was willing to retreat or surrender quickly.  Consequently, Aughrim was very bloody, and crucially Williamite losses were very heavy.  But at the Boyne very few of the WIlliamite army were killed, while after some losses the losing side did the usual and legged it - and the history records that the Jacobite rearguard fought well, and that William had no interest in seeing his son-in-law killed.  Add to that the fact that William and James were both present at the Boyne but absent from Aughrim, and you have a perfect narrative of an easy hammering of both James and his army.  The adoption of the Gregorian calendar was helpful in providing cover for the switch, but it wasn't the cause.  That said, nationalists and republicans in NI got amusement out of the notion of the Orange Order marching on the 12th of July at the behest of Pope Gregory.

Prior to the adoption of the Gregorian calendar in England, New Year's Day was March 25th, and there remains an echo of that.  When New Year's Day was shifted to 1 January, businesses refused to pay taxes early, so the start of the tax year remained as it was - but bumped out by 12 days to April 6th.

K,nell Uly, think its safe to say you know more Irish history than I'll ever know

1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

K,nell Uly, think its safe to say you know more Irish history than I'll ever know

They did teach it to me at school.  It also helps that the house I grew up in was approximately 2 miles from the site of the Battle of the Boyne.  It was a bit of history of particular interest to the locals.  We never liked that oul' Aughrim story, but unfortunately we had to put up with it.  :laugh:

9 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Him being an Irish man, I should think so.