Facts

Greedy Jambo

On 10/10/2021 at 16:10, scottishguy said:

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary, those who do and those who don't.

Haha.  Clever.  :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• redjambo

• milky_26

• JudyJudyJudy

On 10/10/2021 at 11:10, scottishguy said:

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary, those who do and those who don't.

29 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Haha.  Clever.  :)

It certainly is.  :thumb:

Mexico exports more beer than any other country.  The USA is the world's leading importer.

Thailand exports more condoms than any other country.  The USA is the world's leading importer.

5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Mexico exports more beer than any other country.  The USA is the world's leading importer.

Thailand exports more condoms than any other country.  The USA is the world's leading importer.

The Uk produces the most hot-air, but no-one is buying it .

AN often forgotten fact about the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 was that the Pope of the day supported the Protestant King William of Orange against the Catholic King James II.

This unusual alliance came about because the Papacy, then a world power, was at odds with King Louis XIV of France, who was an ally of King James. It is said that a Mass of deliverance was celebrated in Rome after King William's victory.

The Canary Islands are named after dogs not birds, the name is actually the latin Canariae Insulae meaning Island of dogs

The quietest room on earth is inside the Microsoft HQ, the test lab has an ambient noise level of -20.35 DbA, 20 decibels less than what humans can hear

The number of humans alive today represents 7% of all the humans to have ever walked the earth

7 minutes ago, Ribble said:

The Canary Islands are named after dogs not birds, the name is actually the latin Canariae Insulae meaning Island of dogs

The quietest room on earth is inside the Microsoft HQ, the test lab has an ambient noise level of -20.35 DbA, 20 decibels less than what humans can hear

The number of humans alive today represents 7% of all the humans to have ever walked the earth

This made me think of something that's more suited to the things you've wondered about thread, but it's topical so I'll ask it here.

Gran Canaria...how are people pronouncing that?

Gran Can aria for me.

My girlfriend says Gran Can ayria.

Is this a Scotland/England thing or am I just wrong?

Admittedly, I say Canayry islands so my logic is already flawed.

Edited by Taffin

57 minutes ago, Ribble said:

The quietest room on earth is inside the Microsoft HQ, the test lab has an ambient noise level of -20.35 DbA, 20 decibels less than what humans can hear.

The assumed quietest “open space” on record was the Hibs end on 19/5/12 once the few that had remained behind had stopped weeping. Though, noise emanating from the hearts end made it impossible to record officially. 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

This made me think of something that's more suited to the things you've wondered about thread, but it's topical so I'll ask it here.

Gran Can aria for me.

The Spanish pronounce it like you do, but many Brits pronounce it like your girlfriend. Your logic isn't flawed - the islands in English are the "Canayry" Islands. I would say it sounds best pronouncing the island itself the Spanish way.

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

I wouldn't mind a night's sleep there to make a change from being woken up by the neighbour shouting at her crackpot dog.

Just now, redjambo said:

I wouldn't mind a night's sleep there to make a change from being woken up by the neighbour shouting at her crackpot dog.

Seemingly most folk can't handle how quiet it is, it's so quiet that the sound of your own breathing becomes unbearably loud  in comparison 

Just now, Ribble said:

Seemingly most folk can't handle how quiet it is, it's so quiet that the sound of your own breathing becomes unbearably loud  in comparison 

Interesting. I'd probably have to cut down on the farting in bed too then.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

The Spanish pronounce it like you do, but many Brits pronounce it like your girlfriend. Your logic isn't flawed - the islands in English are the "Canayry" Islands. I would say it sounds best pronouncing the island itself the Spanish way.

Glad I've not got it totally wrong...however I'd likely turn my nose up at a Brit calling Paris, Pari...which is effectively what I'm doing with Gran Canaria. Disappointing 😂

Edited by Taffin

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

I think the phrase silence is deafening is how people describe it

9 hours ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

AN often forgotten fact about the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 was that the Pope of the day supported the Protestant King William of Orange against the Catholic King James II.

This unusual alliance came about because the Papacy, then a world power, was at odds with King Louis XIV of France, who was an ally of King James. It is said that a Mass of deliverance was celebrated in Rome after King William's victory.

The other little-remembered fact about the Battle of the Boyne is that it took place on July 1st, not July 12th.  The original purpose of the Orange Twelfth celebrations was to commemorate the Williamite victory at the Battle of Aughrim, which took place a little over a year later on July 12th, 1691, and which was a far more significant battle.  However, for a number of reasons, Aughrim fell out of fashion in favour of the Boyne in the early part of the 19th century.

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Gran Can aria for me.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I've never heard anyone say "Gran Can Ayria".  I don't think I could cope.  :eek:

15 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I've never heard anyone say "Gran Can Ayria".  I don't think I could cope.  :eek:

Neither had I, but everyone I've asked down here has sided with my girlfriend. 

10 hours ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

It was also a relatively bloodless battle too.

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

The other little-remembered fact about the Battle of the Boyne is that it took place on July 1st, not July 12th.  The original purpose of the Orange Twelfth celebrations was to commemorate the Williamite victory at the Battle of Aughrim, which took place a little over a year later on July 12th, 1691, and which was a far more significant battle.  However, for a number of reasons, Aughrim fell out of fashion in favour of the Boyne in the early part of the 19th century.

Alliteration is a powerful tool. ;)

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Glad I've not got it totally wrong...however I'd likely turn my nose up at a Brit calling Paris, Pari...which is effectively what I'm doing with Gran Canaria. Disappointing 😂

Except of course if you were emphasising Paris' gayness. "Gay Par-iss" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Language is a funny thing.

8 hours ago, Ribble said:

I think they limit the amount of time you can spend in there to around 20 minutes for the sake of your sanity. Reported that you can hear your blood pumping in your veins. 
I think the record is just around an hour. 

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

My ex wife is a revolting fat ugly smelly tramp, FACT.

I wasn’t my ex wife’s first Husband. Sounds like you were 😉

6 hours ago, Taffin said:

Neither had I, but everyone I've asked down here has sided with my girlfriend. 

In that case, change the pronunciation or you're toast.  :laugh:

26 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The world's largest population of wild camels is in Australia.

Topically, the first camel in Australia came from the Canary Islands.

6 hours ago, Section N Rules said:

It was also a relatively bloodless battle too.

Relatively.  A lot more were killed at Aughrim. 

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

Alliteration is a powerful tool. ;)

Indeed.  It also helps that William and James were also actually present in Drogheda but not in Aughrim.  It also helps that James' army ****ed off quite quickly from the Boyne, whereas the Jacobites got much more stuck in at Aughrim, so the Williamite losses at Aughrim were a lot higher.  This made it easier to eulogise the Boyne rather than Aughrim.

James was William's father-in-law.

Doctor FinnBarr
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Not saying you're wrong Uly but I was always led to believe the 1st changed to the 12th because of the style of calendar we used, Gregorian to Julian or something. I know it caused riots in England because the "plebs" thought they were losing 11 days wages.

4 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Topically, the first camel in Australia came from the Canary Islands.

I believe that its name was Rover.

On the first day of the Battle of the Somme, British forces had suffered 57,470 casualties, of whom 19,240 were killed.

In total, the Battle of the Somme British and Commonwealth forces had 108,700 troops killed.  France had 50,000 killed and Germany had 160,000 killed.

The Battle of the Somme was designed to draw German firepower away from Verdun, where the ongoing battle in 1916 killed 163,000 French troops and 143,000 German troops.

From the beginning of the Battle of Verdun to the end was 300 days exactly.  That means that 2,082 men were killed every day during that period.

Neither battle was decisive and the war obviously continued for another 2 years.

Adolf Hitler fought and was wounded on the Somme.  Otto Frank, the father of Ann Frank, fought for the Germans on the Somme.  His daughter and the rest of his family was murdered by Adolf Hitler's Nazis during WW2.

JRR Tolkien and future Prime Minister Harold McMillan both fought on the Somme.  McMillan was badly wounded. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
On 09/10/2021 at 10:53, Nunya Business said:

If you have two arms, you have an above average number of arms.

Finally above average in something..

11 hours ago, Herbert said:

My ex wife is a revolting fat ugly smelly tramp, FACT.

Be interesting to hear what she says about you. For balance.

8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Relatively.  A lot more were killed at Aughrim. 

Indeed.  It also helps that William and James were also actually present in Drogheda but not in Aughrim.  It also helps that James' army ****ed off quite quickly from the Boyne, whereas the Jacobites got much more stuck in at Aughrim, so the Williamite losses at Aughrim were a lot higher.  This made it easier to eulogise the Boyne rather than Aughrim.

James was William's father-in-law.

All the best battles are kept in the family.

16 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I was going to say this but I couldn't remember the details

9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

In that case, change the pronunciation or you're toast.  :laugh:

Indeed.

Gran Canayria it is!

I'll also have to stop calling Llamas, Yamas 🙁

46 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Probably that I'm right she does need a good wash.

The film “ Psycho” was the first film to show a toilet being flushed !

Also the “ Blood “ in the shower scene was actually chocolate 

Toto the dog got paid more than the Munchkins in “ The wizard of Oz. “ 

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

The film “ Psycho” was the first film to show a toilet being flushed !

Also the “ Blood “ in the shower scene was actually chocolate 

Toto the dog got paid more than the Munchkins in “ The wizard of Oz. “ 

I'm sure I have read that no film crew wanted to film psycho so Hitchcock had to use a TV crew

6 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I’d like to read that too, John.  😎

14 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

In your lifetime, there is a fair chance that some of the water molecules you drink were once drunk by dinosaurs, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, or any other historical figure you can name.

http://factmyth.com/factoids/we-drink-the-same-water-that-socrates-jesus-and-buddah-drank/

similarly in 2003 a study showed that around 16 million men who were alive were decendents of gengis khan

17 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Not saying you're wrong Uly but I was always led to believe the 1st changed to the 12th because of the style of calendar we used, Gregorian to Julian or something. I know it caused riots in England because the "plebs" thought they were losing 11 days wages.

The 1st became the 11th, but the didn't trust the new calendar, so added on another day. :rofl: