• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• redjambo

• milky_26

• JudyJudyJudy

4 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

It is kinda sorta true. The distance between Moon and Earth varies as the Moon has an elliptical orbit.  Explainer here…

https://slate.com/technology/2015/02/scale-of-space-can-you-fit-all-the-planets-between-the-earth-and-moon.html

You'd be best moving Neptune out once the Moon gets below apogee.

The Real Maroonblood
22 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the actress and at one point "most beautiful woman in the world" Hedy Lamarr was an excellent inventor whose work led to the development of things like bluetooth, wi-fi, GPS. it is all the more impressive that she did not have any formal training and was pretty much self taught

Knew of her as an actress but not her other talents.

Very impressive.

15 hours ago, Ulysses said:

All of the planets in the solar system can fit in the space between the Earth and the Moon.

Fakt chek:

Planet mean diameters:

Mercury 4,879 km

Venus 12,104 km

Terra 12,756 km

Mars 6,779 km

Jupiter 142,984 km

Saturn 120,536 km

Uranus 50,724 km

Neptune 49,244 km

Total: 400,006 km

Lunar distance from Terra:

Perigee 363,104 km

Mean 384,400 km

Apogee 405,696 km

Decca records rejected the Beatles for a record deal in 1962, saying that "guitar groups are on the way out" and that "the beatles had no future in showbusiness".

Oops.............:laugh:

highlandjambo3
17 hours ago, Ulysses said:

The British and American Dennis the Menace comic strips were developed completely independently of each other by authors who had no idea of the existence of each other or their work.  Both versions went on sale for the first time on the same day, March 12th 1951 (although the U.S. version was dated the 15th).

All of the planets in the solar system can fit in the space between the Earth and the Moon.

All of the silverware in the hearts trophy cabinet can fit in the spaces in between hibs silverware at fester road with loads of space left over………FACT 👍

Barry McGuigan’s father, Enrique Iglesias’s father and Greta Thunberg’s mother all represented their country in the Eurovision Song Contest.

The only land border between France and The Netherlands is on an island in the Caribbean.

France’s longest land border is with Brazil.

The tenth president of the USA, John Tyler, who served from 1841 to 1845 (20 years before the start of the US civil war) has a living grandson.

Samuel Seymour - a witness to Abraham Lincoln’s assassination appeared on a TV game show ( I’ve Got A Secret ) in the US.

55 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Barry McGuigan’s father, Enrique Iglesias’s father and Greta Thunberg’s mother all represented their country in the Eurovision Song Contest.

The only land border between France and The Netherlands is on an island in the Caribbean.

France’s longest land border is with Brazil.

The tenth president of the USA, John Tyler, who served from 1841 to 1845 (20 years before the start of the US civil war) has a living grandson.

Samuel Seymour - a witness to Abraham Lincoln’s assassination appeared on a TV game show ( I’ve Got A Secret ) in the US.

Rasputin's granddaughter lived long enough to hear Boney M immortalise him as Russia's greatest sex machine

26 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Rasputin's granddaughter lived long enough to hear Boney M immortalise him as Russia's greatest sex machine

😂😂

The great Sir Anthony Hopkins is only in” The silence of the lambs “ For 16 minutes . So great is his performance that this is often overlooked . It permeates throughout the whole film . It’s the shortest screen time for Best Actor too . 

On 09/10/2021 at 02:11, Ulysses said:

Malta is the smallest country in the EU.  It is also the least populated.  And it has the highest population density.

If you include overseas territories, the largest country in the EU is Denmark.

Tynecastle is further west than the home ground of every club in the English Premier League.

(Feel free to correct me on the last one - I just looked it up)

It's true as Edinburgh is further West than Bristol.

15 hours ago, Ulysses said:

You'd be best moving Neptune out once the Moon gets below apogee.

Surely you’d be better getting Uranus out?

On 09/10/2021 at 08:47, Aaron78 said:

In 2014, more Scots wanted to be part of The UK, than not. 

Fact. 

Surely if you are going to say FACT it should be Scots Voters rather than Scots…..

1 minute ago, Ked said:

Edinburgh was the first city to have a fire brigade.

I think it is more correctly a municipal fire brigade as there had been previous ones but they were private and charged you if they turned up. With occasional barneys if two different companies turned up to the same job. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think it is more correctly a municipal fire brigade as there had been previous ones but they were private and charged you if they turned up. With occasional barneys if two different companies turned up to the same job. 

You pedantic git 😂

Just now, Ked said:

You pedantic git 😂

Always. I can’t help myself. Bizarrely anything I know about it I learnt in Los Angeles. There’s a little fire station museum next to the train station and I was killing time waiting for a train so went in for a wee look around. The guy who was on duty got chatting to me and when he discovered I was from Edinburgh he got all animated and told me always about the service and James Braidwoodnwho started it all. I think the poor sod probably only had about one visitor a day his daily chat was like gold dust being with an Edinburgh person. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Always. I can’t help myself. Bizarrely anything I know about it I learnt in Los Angeles. There’s a little fire station museum next to the train station and I was killing time waiting for a train so went in for a wee look around. The guy who was on duty got chatting to me and when he discovered I was from Edinburgh he got all animated and told me always about the service and James Braidwoodnwho started it all. I think the poor sod probably only had about one visitor a day his daily chat was like gold dust being with an Edinburgh person. 

Well I suppose jkb now has the full facts.

👌😛

40 minutes ago, jonesy said:

When does a person resident in Scotland become a Scot? (Not trying to be arsey, just interested in what people think. Is it immediate? Need to pass some time?)

And, as for facts - Getting your semi-literate Welsh mate to get you a 'lads trip to the World Cup' gang T-shirt with your nickname on the back when your nickname is Scots Boy and aforementioned sheep shagger pops in an apostrophe on for good measure thus indicating your moniker relates to your non-existent same sex partner is a bad idea.

Tis a good question Jonesy , I tried to have a wee look but because it comes down to who is a commonwealth resident aswell its very muddled at a quick glance to see who is classed as a Scot for voting purposes. I suppose you could argue all voters voting in Scotland are Scots if you wanted to be pedantic as they have to meet the voting criteria. 

Maybe ask Scot and get back to us 🤣 

17 hours ago, redjambo said:

Fakt chek:

Planet mean diameters:

Mercury 4,879 km

Venus 12,104 km

Terra 12,756 km

Mars 6,779 km

Jupiter 142,984 km

Saturn 120,536 km

Uranus 50,724 km

Neptune 49,244 km

Total: 400,006 km

Lunar distance from Terra:

Perigee 363,104 km

Mean 384,400 km

Apogee 405,696 km

He said all the planets. Even tho Earth is part of the bookend. You still need to include it between the Earth and  the Moon, otherwise, the question would be- All the remaining planets in our Solar System can fit between the Earth and Moon. Or all the other planets in our Solar System can fit between the Earth and the Moon. 

Facts can be twisted and so can I. :cheese:

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

FACT, even on a thread about objective facts, people on here will still manage to argue about them 😂

There are different kinds of facts though….

imagine a Martian came to earth and said give me a Fact and you replied ‘Gold is more valuable than silver’.  Well that would indeed be a fact….however it would be an Anthropocentric Fact.

Then the Martian said give me a scientific Fact,  to which you replied ‘the Earth is the third planet from the sun’  then this would be a scientific not an Anthropocentric fact.

It’s actually more nuanced than this but you get the point ..

William H. Bonney
19 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Julius Caesar lived closer in time to the Iphone being invented than he was for the Pyramids being built.

Cleopatra too. 

3 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

FACT, even on a thread about objective facts, people on here will still manage to argue about them 😂

Absolute nonsense. 

7 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Tell me about it ! 😂

A Boy Named Crow
3 hours ago, gjcc said:

Absolute nonsense. 

You know I'm right,  your brit-nat/yoon/krankie loving/cultist/covid denying/covidphobic /Tory/leftist bias blinds you though...

...apologies, Sydney came out of lockdown today,  it's been a good night 😁

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He said all the planets. Even tho Earth is part of the bookend. You still need to include it between the Earth and  the Moon, otherwise, the question would be- All the remaining planets in our Solar System can fit between the Earth and Moon. Or all the other planets in our Solar System can fit between the Earth and the Moon. 

Facts can be twisted and so can I. :cheese:

Where do you think that Terra is, ri? :wink:

Edited by redjambo

The Hogfather
45 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Where do you think that Terra is, ri? :wink:

I wonder if he thinks there's another planet in our system called Terra.

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

I wonder if he thinks there's another planet in our system called Terra.

No earthly reason to think otherwise.

On 09/10/2021 at 03:58, ri Alban said:

In 1707 and 2014, Scots wanted no part in the UK. 

If it had been more than a handful outside of Glasgow and Dundee Ri you may have had your wish... however the result in the end wasn't even close, far more wanted to remain

19 hours ago, jonesy said:

When does a person resident in Scotland become a Scot? (Not trying to be arsey, just interested in what people think. Is it immediate? Need to pass some time?)

And, as for facts - Getting your semi-literate Welsh mate to get you a 'lads trip to the World Cup' gang T-shirt with your nickname on the back when your nickname is Scots Boy and aforementioned sheep shagger pops in an apostrophe on for good measure thus indicating your moniker relates to your non-existent same sex partner is a bad idea.

Is it when they get a British passport?

It's a vexatious question for me parked down here in London. Should Indyref 2 come to pass, if it runs like last time I won't get a vote as a non-resident, kind of begs the question what passport I'd qualify for and whether I'd need a visa to stay here/visit Scotland! 

25 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

No earthly reason to think otherwise.

A classic case of Terra Incognita, you might say.