Calling Someone's Bluff

CostaJambo

Been working in a sort of temporary job outside of my usual field during COVID and things came to a head where I had to decide to stay put or move on at the end of my probation. Asked my boss for a significant pay increase to stay on and he has decided to accept my resignation lol.  Not too bothered as the job is a bit of a bombscare, so when have you called someone's bluff and how did it pan out in the end?

16 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Been working in a sort of temporary job outside of my usual field during COVID and things came to a head where I had to decide to stay put or move on at the end of my probation. Asked my boss for a significant pay increase to stay on and he has decided to accept my resignation lol.  Not too bothered as the job is a bit of a bombscare, so when have you called someone's bluff and how did it pan out in the end?

What sort of job are we talking? Would be surprised if many jobs offered a payrise right after probation.

Edited by hughesie27

Not got anything to add to this...but if you want to brush up on your bluff-calling skills, there's a Mafia game sign-up thread active :lol: 

Being a modern dad I told my Mrs I'd be up for sharing some of her maternity leave and it was largely tongue-in-cheek as I fully expected her to dismiss it.

In the end I ended up with 2 months at home with the little guy. Time that I had previously envisioned spending in baby groups and having lunch with the yummy mummies I would meet at such groups. Instead I got walks in the park with him on my own and chats with elderly neighbours who were safely standing too far away to hear what I was saying. 

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

Being a modern dad I told my Mrs I'd be up for sharing some of her maternity leave and it was largely tongue-in-cheek as I fully expected her to dismiss it.

In the end I ended up with 2 months at home with the little guy. Time that I had previously envisioned spending in baby groups and having lunch with the yummy mummies I would meet at such groups. Instead I got walks in the park with him on my own and chats with elderly neighbours who were safely standing too far away to hear what I was saying. 

Could you not have got the in-laws to help??

Long-ish story. 
Many years ago a mate and I were out on the lash and as often happened in those days we ended up in the Marie Rose Bistro as it had a late licence.  By this time we were pretty hammered and ended up in a booth type seating area with 3 very pretty girls who were with a fairly rough looking bloke. As we were pissed we attempted to talk to the girls and did a bit of staring at them. After about ten minutes or so my mate went for a piss, at this point the guy leant over and said to me that if we didn’t piss of he’d knock seven bells of shite out of us for staring at “his” girls. For some reason bravado took over and I said to him “you’re not from Leith are you mate?” He replied that he wasn’t and why did that matter I fired back with “well if you were you’d know who the **** we were and who our families are and not be as daft as to threaten us”. 
This worked and he quickly finished his drink and got up and left, sadly with the girls. When my mate came back he was baffled as to where the girls had gone to. 
To this day I’m baffled at my bottle coming out with crap like that as the guy could have smashed us no bother the state we were in, added to the fact neither of us could fight sleep. 

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Lucky you. I’ve been told categorically “no” when we have kids. :lol: 
If she thinks she’s going to just be a stay at home mum after mat leave she’ll be bitterly disappointed. 😜

9 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

What sort of job are we talking? Would be surprised if many jobs offered a payrise right after probation.

Commercial Head for a regional office of a service provider. I actually jacked a few months ago just before the probation ended but my boss asked me to stay on a while until he found somebody else and it has taken him a while to do so. The company is a cluster **** and I can't really be bothered with it hence chancing my arm, it is no loss really, I am not fussed either way.

Sounds like it. :Aye:

And being a regional head, makes you part blame for the company being a cluster ****. 

Your reference won't be too good either.

7 hours ago, gjcc said:

Lucky you. I’ve been told categorically “no” when we have kids. :lol: 
If she thinks she’s going to just be a stay at home mum after mat leave she’ll be bitterly disappointed. 😜

You absolutely do not want to do this for the first one regardless. You have some idea of what you're doing with a 2nd one and should know if it's harder than your work or not.

My life at work is definitely easier but I'll always be grateful for the extra time I got to spend with wee Frankenstein. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

You absolutely do not want to do this for the first one regardless. You have some idea of what you're doing with a 2nd one and should know if it's harder than your work or not.

My life at work is definitely easier but I'll always be grateful for the extra time I got to spend with wee Frankenstein. 

:lol:

The wee man. :)

Many moons ago when my Mrs was pregnant and interest rates climbed into the high teens we were struggling with the mortgage payments when she went on maternity leave, ended up with a £30 charge for going overdrawn. I went to see the bank manager and amongst other things demanded the £30 back or we'd be moving our account elsewhere. Swine said no bother, thanks and goodbye. 😟

On 08/10/2021 at 23:31, Tazio said:

Long-ish story. 
Many years ago a mate and I were out on the lash and as often happened in those days we ended up in the Marie Rose Bistro as it had a late licence.  By this time we were pretty hammered and ended up in a booth type seating area with 3 very pretty girls who were with a fairly rough looking bloke. As we were pissed we attempted to talk to the girls and did a bit of staring at them. After about ten minutes or so my mate went for a piss, at this point the guy leant over and said to me that if we didn’t piss of he’d knock seven bells of shite out of us for staring at “his” girls. For some reason bravado took over and I said to him “you’re not from Leith are you mate?” He replied that he wasn’t and why did that matter I fired back with “well if you were you’d know who the **** we were and who our families are and not be as daft as to threaten us”. 
This worked and he quickly finished his drink and got up and left, sadly with the girls. When my mate came back he was baffled as to where the girls had gone to. 
To this day I’m baffled at my bottle coming out with crap like that as the guy could have smashed us no bother the state we were in, added to the fact neither of us could fight sleep. 

Great story, 

Don't know if this counts, I turned up to a disciplinary hearing at an old job. I knew what the outcome was going to be but I still arrived in my full work uniform half expecting to get told to get back to work. They still sacked me as anticipated. I thought they'd at least acknowledge my smart appearance and neatly pressed uniform. :laugh:

I used to work beside the 'top boy' from Falkirk's casual crew in the 80s. I always thought of him as a harmless slaver (let's call him JJ) but apparently he was quite good at beating people up when in a large group of similarly brave heroes. 

About 10 years after seeing him I was in a pub in Falkirk after a Hearts match with my pal. There was a fair bit of interest in us and it became pretty obvious that we were going to get set about. We left the pub followed by 3 or 4 boys and another 2 or 3 went out the side door to cut us off. One of them swaggered up to me and I quite  cooly asked him if he knew where I could find JJ. I was then asked how I knew him and I basically lied in front of them all without batting an eyelid. I was told he was on a banning order and wasn't about and I replied by telling the boy that I thought his banning order was up and had hoped to see him in the pub. I watched the guy call the others off and chatted away for a few minutes about things involving JJ that had never happened, and enjoyed every minute of it. The daft moron then shook my hand and told JJ he'd tell him I had asked for him before chumming as half way up the road to show up how to get to the train station. Last thing he did was apologise for nearly turning us over. My pal never said a word throughout and laughed his head off all the way home. 

On 09/10/2021 at 11:45, Awbdy Oot said:

Many moons ago when my Mrs was pregnant and interest rates climbed into the high teens we were struggling with the mortgage payments when she went on maternity leave, ended up with a £30 charge for going overdrawn. I went to see the bank manager and amongst other things demanded the £30 back or we'd be moving our account elsewhere. Swine said no bother, thanks and goodbye. 😟

Clydesdale?