muldoon74

20 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Look at the N E coast between Berwick and Newcastle. Stunning beaches , nice pubs and plenty of good walking. Lindisfarne is stunning (I'm assuming the refurb work is complete now). And it's quiet.

Lake Distict should come with a warning at the moment : my neighbour's daughter lives up there somewhere and he's just come back from a 2 week holiday saying it was horrendously busy. 

I very much agree. :icon14:  From Berwick down to Amble and beyond, the north Northumbrian coast is superb, with loads of nice towns and villages and good pubs and restaurants: I particularly like Alnmouth, and the Ship Inn at Low Newton By-The-Sea is brilliant. There's great walking on the Northumbrian coastal path as well as inland.

I also agree about what you're saying about the Lake District. We were in Coniston in the summer - we'd only been previously in October - and it was very busy. Coniston isn't usually the most hectic spot on the Lakes either. Went up the Old Man of Coniston one day and it was nose-to-tail most of the way up and hoaching at the top, so I went off-piste and followed sheep-tracks back down to the Walna Scar track as I couldn't face re-joining in the procession on the main path.  :ermm:  It's lovely there in autumn though.

4 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I very much agree. :icon14:  From Berwick down to Amble and beyond, the north Northumbrian coast is superb, with loads of nice towns and villages and good pubs and restaurants: I particularly like Alnmouth, and the Ship Inn at Low Newton By-The-Sea is brilliant. There's great walking on the Northumbrian coastal path as well as inland.

I also agree about what you're saying about the Lake District. We were in Coniston in the summer - we'd only been previously in October - and it was very busy. Coniston isn't usually the most hectic spot on the Lakes either. Went up the Old Man of Coniston one day and it was nose-to-tail most of the way up and hoaching at the top, so I went off-piste and followed sheep-tracks back down to the Walna Scar track as I couldn't face re-joining in the procession on the main path.  :ermm:  It's lovely there in autumn though.

👍