muldoon74

Wife and I looking to get away for 2/3 nights mid November. 

Trying to find somewhere new to wander around and get drunk in. 

Anyone know if Carlisle any good? 

Basically after a nice wee town that's got a few good, comfy, friendly pubs... 

Would say no for a weekend but just a day trip, could then take the train along the line towards Hexham and do a few other we country towns, Haltwhistle, Haydon bridge etc , nice train ride too.

4 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Wife and I looking to get away for 2/3 nights mid November. 

Trying to find somewhere new to wander around and get drunk in. 

Anyone know if Carlisle any good? 

Basically after a nice wee town that's got a few good, comfy, friendly pubs... 

Penrith is nice 

14 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Penrith is nice 

Bit too far, tbh Carlisle is, at the very limit of how far I want to drive! It's only for maybe 3 nights. . But I'll bear it in mind for future ventures, always looking for new favourites! 

2 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Bit too far, tbh Carlisle is, at the very limit of how far I want to drive! It's only for maybe 3 nights. . But I'll bear it in mind for future ventures, always looking for new favourites! 

Yeah its only another 20 miles on the motorway. 

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Yeah its only another 20 miles on the motorway. 

Thought it was further than that... 

I'll do some looking at it in that case.. 👍

2 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Thought it was further than that... 

I'll do some looking at it in that case.. 👍

No far mate about another 25 minutes south of Carlisle 

Auld Reekin'
2 hours ago, cheetah said:

Would say no for a weekend but just a day trip, could then take the train along the line towards Hexham and do a few other we country towns, Haltwhistle, Haydon bridge etc , nice train ride too.

Good ideas here: Haltwhistle is a nice wee place and is very handy for visiting Hadrian's Wall. There's nice countryside around it too. Somewhere else I'd suggest which wouldn't be much further than Carlisle is Kirkcudbright.

Alnwick and Alnmouth are also cracking places as is Berwick.

2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Penrith is nice 

This. It compares very favourably with Carlisle which isn't. There're loads of pubs there - don't know if any of them are any good, but there're bound to be some that are decent! Nice countryside nearby too.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Auld Reekin'
26 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

2 guys at work went to stag nights in Carlisle recently (separate stags). Both said it was a brilliant night/day.

Depends what you're looking for right enough, but it's always seemed a bit of a toilet to me whenever I've spent any time there...   :ermm:  I'd stay on the train and get off at Penrith instead. :icon14:

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, henryheart said:

I prefer Lancaster. It's only 3 hours down the road.  

Never stopped there; you'd recommend it? Interesting and historic centre? Nice pubs and eating places?  :huh2:

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Never stopped there; you'd recommend it? Interesting and historic centre? Nice pubs and eating places?  :huh2:

Quite a historical place - a visit to the castle is worth the trip alone https://www.visitlancashire.com/things-to-do/lancaster-castle-p1787

The Lancaster witch trials are fascinating and horrific. 

I personally would avoid Carlisle. 

Just now, Auld Reekin' said:

I highly recommend it. It's a very attractive, prosperous and compact historic town which is easy to walk around with a castle and great canal towpath walks. As for eating in drinking, it is a typical university town with a great range to cover all tastes.   

The Lake District is worth the extra 35-40 mins travelling. Ambleside is lovely. With lots of walkers. I'm seriously looking at retiring there. 

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Quite a historical place - a visit to the castle is worth the trip alone https://www.visitlancashire.com/things-to-do/lancaster-castle-p1787

What time of year do they have them?

2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

2 guys at work went to stag nights in Carlisle recently (separate stags). Both said it was a brilliant night/day.

TBF Carlisle does have some reasonable pubs. Don't ask me the names though

Swahili Jambo

Be careful!!

If you are Scottish, it’s best to avoid visiting Carlisle

In Carlisle, any Scot found wandering around may be whipped or jailed. This probably dates back to 1157, when King Malcolm IV of Scotland surrendered his lands granted to the Scots in 1136 following the Scots invasion of Cumbria led by King David I. In the period directly after this, many Cumbrian castles were fortified as a precaution, so it seems likely that this law is linked to the 12th century battles.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

Maryport will be nearer

You need 6 fingers on each hand to get welcomed there, yes I do have experiance of the Dumbrian coastline.

21 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

You need 6 fingers on each hand to get welcomed there, yes I do have experiance of the Dumbrian coastline.

the scaryport blues festival is ok, i doubt i would go near it at any other time

Many thanks for all the replies.. After looking at stuff all day picked wife up from work, she didn't fancy Carlisle so we're going to Oban instead. 

Worth it for the drive imo.. 

Found a decent deal on booking.com, £230 for 3 nights, highly rated hotel. (The Scot).. 

Edited by muldoon74
Mistakes

18 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Many thanks for all the replies.. After looking at stuff all day picked wife up from work, she didn't fancy Carlisle so we're going to Oban instead. 

Found a decent deal on booking.com, £230 for 3 nights, highly rated hotel. (The Scot).. 

Good choice, would take Oban ahead of Carlisle any day.

Auld Reekin'
3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

3 hours ago, henryheart said:

I highly recommend it. It's a very attractive, prosperous and compact historic town which is easy to walk around with a castle and great canal towpath walks. As for eating in drinking, it is a typical university town with a great range to cover all tastes.   

Cheers guys - sounds good - I'll try and make a point of visiting one of these times!  

I'd only ever passed through it before and I suspect hides its charms as far as the view from the train is concerned.  :ermm: 

Auld Reekin'
31 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Many thanks for all the replies.. After looking at stuff all day picked wife up from work, she didn't fancy Carlisle so we're going to Oban instead

After all that... :muggy:  :taz:  :seething:   :facepalm:

Nah, Oban's nice and a whole lot better than Carlisle. :thumbsup: We weren't impressed with Ee-usk, the seafood restaurant there that many rave about, but there're are plenty other places to eat and drink there.

Auld Reekin'
15 minutes ago, benny said:

Durham is nice,heard good reports on Oban as well.Never recently been though.

Over 50 years.😄

Yup, very nice. Avoid those pubs full of pissed-up Makems and it's grand.  :icon14:

49 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

After all that... :muggy:  :taz:  :seething:   :facepalm:

Nah, Oban's nice and a whole lot better than Carlisle. :thumbsup: We weren't impressed with Ee-usk, the seafood restaurant there that many rave about, but there're are plenty other places to eat and drink there.

That's the good thing about JKB, plenty experience out there on all sorts of subjects and places.. 

Those places mentioned down south (Penrith etc) are on the "definate possibles" list now. 

We've wanted to go to Oban to stay a couple of nights for a few years but always found it just that little bit too expensive.. Booking.com is awesome. 

35 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yup, very nice. Avoid those pubs full of pissed-up Makems and it's grand.  :icon14:

Find the Mackems grand.

The league Cup final with City was a great day in the  pubs before and after.

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Good ideas here: Haltwhistle is a nice wee place and is very handy for visiting Hadrian's Wall. There's nice countryside around it too. Somewhere else I'd suggest which wouldn't be much further than Carlisle is Kirkcudbright.

Alnwick and Alnmouth are also cracking places as is Berwick.

This. It compares very favourably with Carlisle which isn't. There're loads of pubs there - don't know if any of them are any good, but there're bound to be some that are decent! Nice countryside nearby too.

Haltwhistle lol that brings back memories. A load of us were heading to liverpool a few years ago for our Christmas night out and rain had been so bad train stopped at Carlisle. Cue a taxi across to Newcastle but a couple of hours in the black bull in haltwhistle was tremendous. The taxi ride all the way across took hours and is still fondly remembered 🤪😂

Auld Reekin'
54 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Haltwhistle lol that brings back memories. A load of us were heading to liverpool a few years ago for our Christmas night out and rain had been so bad train stopped at Carlisle. Cue a taxi across to Newcastle but a couple of hours in the black bull in haltwhistle was tremendous. The taxi ride all the way across took hours and is still fondly remembered 🤪😂

Good pub!  :thumbsup:

Other nice wee places nearby are The Wallace Arms at Rowfoot and the Twice Brewed Inn at, erm, Once Brewed.  :ermm:

I had half an hour between trains in Carlisle last week. Two different Wetherspoons within yards of each other can't be a good sign.

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, benny said:

Find the Mackems grand.

Yeah, there's worse, I suppose...  :mw_rolleyes:

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, Darren said:

I had half an hour between trains in Carlisle last week. Two different Wetherspoons within yards of each other can't be a good sign.

On the plus side, they'd probably both run out of beer and had no serving staff anyway. Every cloud, etc., etc..

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

i think the two wetherspoons on george st are a similar distance apart

3 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Good choice. Oban is great. Inveraray is good too. The jail is a good laugh. 

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

i think the two wetherspoons on george st are a similar distance apart

You could see these two next to each other.

The Picturehouse is pretty close to the west end Wetherspoons as well, unfortunately.

Paddy Crossan
3 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

It’s 10 years since I’ve been to Oban but there are a few good pubs. Get yourself on the ferry to Isle of Mull for the day, ferries used to be regular, drop you of at Craignure I think: then take a bus to Tobermory for fantastic wildlife and a few good pubs and fantastic fish and chips.

heartsfc_fan

Durham or York are a good shout.

In the Lakes: Bowness or Kendal are decent wee places.

On the other flip of the coin, visited Dunblane for a wee over night stay a year ago then along to Callandar. Would do that again 👍

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, benny said:

Find the Mackems grand.

Thats a naw according to Mrs Saunders (shes Geordie). Hibs of the North East is how she describes them.

27 thousand empty seats.......

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Henry. Henry.
7 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

The Lake District is worth the extra 35-40 mins travelling. Ambleside is lovely. With lots of walkers. I'm seriously looking at retiring there. 

Love Ambleside!   Down that way most October breaks (although not this year). Base ourselves in run the wonderful wee village of Chapel Stile.  

On 08/10/2021 at 19:56, benny said:

Find the Mackems grand.

Second this!

I have been to many Newcastle games and I’ve been to a few Liverpool away games in Sunderland right off the metro into the Sunderland pubs not a issue at all! Never have had issues . You go to a Newcastle game head into the pubs before matches and they are full of stag nights and groups of lads down for a match before a night out in town . 

I know what one I’d prefer to be in. 🇵🇪

On 08/10/2021 at 22:38, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Thats a naw according to Mrs Saunders (shes Geordie). Hibs of the North East is how she describes them.

27 thousand empty seats.......

Newcastle before the Keegan days had quite a few under 10,000 crowds.

Makes them the wee team of the north east.😄

54 minutes ago, benny said:

Newcastle before the Keegan days had quite a few under 10,000 crowds.

Makes them the wee team of the north east.😄

One of the great football myths the Toon Army. 

Look at the N E coast between Berwick and Newcastle. Stunning beaches , nice pubs and plenty of good walking. Lindisfarne is stunning (I'm assuming the refurb work is complete now). And it's quiet.

Lake Distict should come with a warning at the moment : my neighbour's daughter lives up there somewhere and he's just come back from a 2 week holiday saying it was horrendously busy.