Interesting Robbie Article

Rudolf

Boyces beard
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Can someone post, their website is like the Internet version of herpes. 

Hearts' change in signing policy explained by manager Robbie Neilson

Hearts are prioritising high technical ability over physical attributes when they sign new players, manager Robbie Neilson explained today.

Tenacious but skilled footballers topped the Edinburgh club’s agenda during the summer months as a total of eight signings were completed.

Many of those were smaller in stature, such as midfielders Cameron Devlin and Beni Baningime, plus forwards Barrie McKay and Ben Woodburn. They have underpinned an unbeaten start after eight games in the cinch Premiership.

Previously labelled “big physical Hearts” for years by opposition supporters, Neilson’s return to Tynecastle Park has seen a change in tack with the help of sporting director Joe Savage.

The appointments of George Brown as lead recruitment analyst at Riccarton and William Lancefield as head of recruitment are also significant.

“We aren't at a level where we can afford guys who are 6ft 3in and brilliant on the ball,” Neilson told the Evening News. “They are all playing in the English Premier League. So we have to try to get guys who are really good with the ball and then deal with the physical side of it.

“You saw on Saturday against Motherwell that Cammy Devlin is in there being aggressive, winning headers and tackles. Beni is the same. Alex Cochrane went in and played left-sided centre-back [after Craig Halkett went off] against some physical players and he dealt with it.

“It's not always about the height. It's about the fight that's in there.”

Woodburn’s role is more of a roaming one, coming on off the left or right flank to find pockets of space. He had a quieter afternoon in the 2-0 win against Motherwell but Neilson pointed out that others flourished for that reason.

“We try to give Ben the freedom to go and find areas because he's a clever player. On Saturday when he was playing in that area, Stephen O'Donnell basically came in and tried to man-mark him, take him out the game,” said the manager.

“That makes it difficult for Ben but it frees up somebody else – Alex Cochrane, Liam Boyce or one of the midfield players. Sometimes you need to do that. Barrie McKay's man wasn't quite as aggressive on him, which allowed Barrie to get the ball.

“There will be weeks where one of them does it and the other guy maybe has to do the hard yards. Everyone else is the same.

“We knew that physicality was probably going to be the key. First and foremost, set-plays. Motherwell have scored a number of goals from long throws, free-kicks and corners. Secondly, there's the direct ball in and the knockdown.

“I felt comfortable that we would deal with the first contact but it's the knockdown – the second ball where they get their midfield three up on it. We only had two in there so there was a lot asked of them.

“That's the reason we put Peter Haring on near the end and changed our shape a bit to try and deal with that. I thought we did it well.”

19 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Big Fizzikul Hertz

Mental eh. I bet even with an average height of 5ft8, we'll still get tagged this.

We've had it for years and its simply not true. If anything for quite some time we weren't physical enough!!

Its as much of a myth as flairball at Lochend.

We'll play them off the park and they'll spend all game trying to k8ck everything that moves but its never reported that way and they certainly cant see it. Been that way for years. Think of Ian Murray et al. Its bullshit!

That said, i do think Levein recruited a nukber of players on physical attribute. That is important of course but not if they dont use their size/power/speed cos either they dont have the intelligence or attitude or the tactics dont allow it.

Everything seems a bit more joined up now and that's brilliant to see

upgotheheads

Spot on, it sounds like there's some serious rationality going on at Hearts just now. I liked this bit; “It's not always about the height. It's about the fight that's in there.”   

I've always believed that a good big one will usually beat a good wee one, but if you've got enough good wee ones then you can carry one or two half decent bigyins. 

I’m just glad he’s taking the time to explain tactics to the fans, especially someone like me, who will understand the on field plans if layed out like this.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Boyces beard said:

Hearts' change in signing policy explained by manager Robbie Neilson

Hearts are prioritising high technical ability over physical attributes when they sign new players, manager Robbie Neilson explained today.

Tenacious but skilled footballers topped the Edinburgh club’s agenda during the summer months as a total of eight signings were completed.

Many of those were smaller in stature, such as midfielders Cameron Devlin and Beni Baningime, plus forwards Barrie McKay and Ben Woodburn. They have underpinned an unbeaten start after eight games in the cinch Premiership.

Previously labelled “big physical Hearts” for years by opposition supporters, Neilson’s return to Tynecastle Park has seen a change in tack with the help of sporting director Joe Savage.

The appointments of George Brown as lead recruitment analyst at Riccarton and William Lancefield as head of recruitment are also significant.

“We aren't at a level where we can afford guys who are 6ft 3in and brilliant on the ball,” Neilson told the Evening News. “They are all playing in the English Premier League. So we have to try to get guys who are really good with the ball and then deal with the physical side of it.

“You saw on Saturday against Motherwell that Cammy Devlin is in there being aggressive, winning headers and tackles. Beni is the same. Alex Cochrane went in and played left-sided centre-back [after Craig Halkett went off] against some physical players and he dealt with it.

“It's not always about the height. It's about the fight that's in there.”

Woodburn’s role is more of a roaming one, coming on off the left or right flank to find pockets of space. He had a quieter afternoon in the 2-0 win against Motherwell but Neilson pointed out that others flourished for that reason.

“We try to give Ben the freedom to go and find areas because he's a clever player. On Saturday when he was playing in that area, Stephen O'Donnell basically came in and tried to man-mark him, take him out the game,” said the manager.

“That makes it difficult for Ben but it frees up somebody else – Alex Cochrane, Liam Boyce or one of the midfield players. Sometimes you need to do that. Barrie McKay's man wasn't quite as aggressive on him, which allowed Barrie to get the ball.

“There will be weeks where one of them does it and the other guy maybe has to do the hard yards. Everyone else is the same.

“We knew that physicality was probably going to be the key. First and foremost, set-plays. Motherwell have scored a number of goals from long throws, free-kicks and corners. Secondly, there's the direct ball in and the knockdown.

“I felt comfortable that we would deal with the first contact but it's the knockdown – the second ball where they get their midfield three up on it. We only had two in there so there was a lot asked of them.

“That's the reason we put Peter Haring on near the end and changed our shape a bit to try and deal with that. I thought we did it well.”

Cheers mate. 

I love the insight into how deep our thought processes are on all aspects of our game. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Interesting Robbie Article
Hungry hippo

I'd assumed Beni was taller than he actually is. A bit of googling suggests he's about 5'10. I suppose standing near Devlin would make anyone look tall.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Opens up a new market for us completely.

All too often previously we have gone for size over skill because you “need that sort of physical presence in Scottish fitba’ “.

With the right attitude you don’t!

Just one other thing to add. There has been a lot of chat previously about Robbie being the sort of manager that puts shackles on players and doesn’t allow them to play their game.

Ben Woodman effectively has a free role.

Cammy Devlin said that he and Beni have the shackles off to get in the oppo box.

We have seen Cochrane and Smith high up the pitch and in the oppo box the last couple of games.

Seems as if that was a load of shit.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

All too often previously we have gone for size over skill because you “need that sort of physical presence in Scottish fitba’ “.

Just one other thing to add. There has been a lot of chat previously about Robbie being the sort of manager that puts shackles on players and doesn’t allow them to play their game.

Cammy Devlin said that he and Beni have the shackles off to get in the oppo box.

We have seen Cochrane and Smith high up the pitch and in the oppo box the last couple of games.

Robbie Mk I seemed to think that too TBH. He's clearly seeing things a little differently this time around which is good as finding solutions and not being stuck in his ways is the sign of a good coach

Bazzas right boot

Yip. 

It was a load of shit. 

It was complete shit the first one and utte shit this time. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Robbie Mk I seemed to think that too TBH. He's clearly seeing things a little differently this time around which is good as finding solutions and not being stuck in his ways is the sign of a good coach

Diagree. 

It's far more simpler than that imo. 

He's got better players now so as a team we are better. 

14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Diagree. 

?He bought big guys the first time round - Sow, Zeefuik - and when we got promoted he said we need to be more robust for the SPL and wee guys like King were moved out...

We saw this against Livi when Beni won that penalty. Beni and Devlin essentially bullied the entire Livi team and wouldn't let them out of their own box.

I'll admit, I was fair impressed at the tactics.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

?He bought big guys the first time round - Sow, Zeefuik - and when we got promoted he said we need to be more robust for the SPL and wee guys like King were moved out...

Sow was skilful. 

Zeefuik done a job in the championship. 

King etc weren't good enough, if they were good enough his sort would have stayed. Nothing to do with size imo 

We can afford better players now. 

It's that simple imo.

Better players that who are smaller are better than crap big or crapier small players. 

We can now get better players. 

Pasquale for King

Sounds like he would still prefer to get 6’3” guys who are good on the ball but they’re all playing in Premiership, better late than never to realise this.
I wonder if it was Savage, Brown or Lancefield that pointed it out. 
Neilson is definitely still progressing as a manager and adapting new tactics to the benefit of the team, he deserves credit for that. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It was Jordan Roberts that said that, make of it what you will. 

We were short of defenders up at Ross County it shows that this area of the pitch still needs looked at when he had to force Souttar over there.

read that article and Neilson said he shoved (left/wing-back) Cochrane at left defence when Halkett (also not a natural left-sider) went off. It's seems by reading what he said that it's pretty obvious that a left central defender is missing and is a must. It's fine having one or two "filling in" but it could come back to haunt us if something isn't done about it. Gordon has seen more attacks from that side of defence than he needs to.

As for his comments on physicality...I don't know why Hearts are tagged with this as for the last few years the most physical teams defensively and upfront are Aberdeen and Motherwell. Still think having a dominant defender coming in is imperative to where we end up this season. We could lose points from someone winning headers from corners and free-kicks if we lack height and it's also good to have that upfront if we are attacking corners and free-kicks. Might well be the difference in 10 or more points being won or lost throughout the season.

Hearts are labelled big and physical for the same reasons Hibs are thought to have flair, playing the game as it should be played.

Evidence-free clichés go a long way in football punditry.

Funny old game.

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, jambonian said:

We were short of defenders up at Ross County it shows that this area of the pitch still needs looked at when he had to force Souttar over there.

read that article and Neilson said he shoved (left/wing-back) Cochrane at left defence when Halkett (also not a natural left-sider) went off. It's seems by reading what he said that it's pretty obvious that a left central defender is missing and is a must. It's fine having one or two "filling in" but it could come back to haunt us if something isn't done about it. Gordon has seen more attacks from that side of defence than he needs to.

As for his comments on physicality...I don't know why Hearts are tagged with this as for the last few years the most physical teams defensively and upfront are Aberdeen and Motherwell. Still think having a dominant defender coming in is imperative to where we end up this season. We could lose points from someone winning headers from corners and free-kicks if we lack height and it's also good to have that upfront if we are attacking corners and free-kicks. Might well be the difference in 10 or more points being won or lost throughout the season.

Unfortunately I agree with you last sentiment. 

Watch Goldson score from a set piece when we play rangers. 

I'd bet in it if I was hun *****, but I'm not, so I won't. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Whilst never making noises about it I did question what he was bringing to the club (Frear, Roberts, Popescu) last year and was worried prior to pre-season with only the unknown Cammy Devlin signed up, also when looking at the formation up to and including the first game of the season I did question our attacking threats but he's signed wisely and Smith at rwb and God in goals apart we have depth and good quality in every position. He's done well this season so far in signings and tactically and we've got a great foundation for a really good season. So I was never his biggest fan but I do think he's deserving of praise for his approach to a trying time and tbh I do quite like his chat, I like his ideas about our club and his desire to make us better and he seems to be getting a good tune from the squad. Long may it continue Robbie, well done.

4 hours ago, Spellczech said:

He also had Craig Levein and John Murray running the recruitment department :D 

Do see your point though, we were very quick to move on Holt and King IMO. Suspect Robbie has grown as a coach, and we have no idea what sort of influence Savage is on him. It could be that Devlin despite his size has stat after stat which backs up why he was our best option?

Whatever is going on is amazing to see, so I'm the happiest I've been in a long time with this Hearts side. 

17 minutes ago, Chong said:

Whilst never making noises about it I did question what he was bringing to the club (Frear, Roberts, Popescu) last year and was worried prior to pre-season with only the unknown Cammy Devlin signed up, also when looking at the formation up to and including the first game of the season I did question our attacking threats but he's signed wisely and Smith at rwb and God in goals apart we have depth and good quality in every position. He's done well this season so far in signings and tactically and we've got a great foundation for a really good season. So I was never his biggest fan but I do think he's deserving of praise for his approach to a trying time and tbh I do quite like his chat, I like his ideas about our club and his desire to make us better and he seems to be getting a good tune from the squad. Long may it continue Robbie, well done.

Agree with that. 
And ‘God in goals’ Gordon 😁👏🤩

I was concerned by some of the pedestrian football at times last season, but what an impressive improvement now! 
combination of better/different players, new recruitment team and probably better scope for bringing talent in, plus very different situation generally compared to last season.

hats off to Robbie and the whole set up - am loving it so far 

that plus owning (0.0000000001% or thereabouts in my case 🤪) the club - the feel good factor is here… and it’s bloody great. Let’s enjoy it 

6 hours ago, OTT said:

He also had Craig Levein and John Murray running the recruitment department :D 

Do see your point though, we were very quick to move on Holt and King IMO. Suspect Robbie has grown as a coach, and we have no idea what sort of influence Savage is on him. It could be that Devlin despite his size has stat after stat which backs up why he was our best option?

Whatever is going on is amazing to see, so I'm the happiest I've been in a long time with this Hearts side. 

Where are Holt and King playing these days?  Not having a go at you personally, but of all the players we've decided to let go over the last few seasons, how many are playing at a higher level than Hearts?

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, RobNox said:

Where are Holt and King playing these days?  Not having a go at you personally, but of all the players we've decided to let go over the last few seasons, how many are playing at a higher level than Hearts?

It's true tho, these guys weren't let go because he wanted big brutes, they were let go as they weren't good enough. 

It's really that simple. 

indianajones
12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's true tho, these guys weren't let go because he wanted big brutes, they were let go as they weren't good enough. 

It's really that simple. 

Holt signed for the huns not so sure he was let go.

Championship Hun yes but then started a further two seasons after they were promoted to the top league. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Holt signed for the huns not so sure he was let go.

Championship Hun yes but then started a further two seasons after they were promoted to the top league. 

Fair point, Holt left us for more money. 

Point regarding letting folk go because they were small stands tho. 

22 hours ago, Rudolf said:

Also good reasoning for not replacing Halkett with Haring that was questioned by some on here.

Robbie often explains the tactical switches after a match and it's always spot on. How some people still rant about an in game switch is beyond me. He's helped win us plenty points this season by changing it. 

19 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Diagree. 

I suspect alot of it is down to Savage and the new recruitment team.

I still can't believe we've landed players of Beni's and Devlin's quality after some of the dross we've seen in recent years...

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I still can't believe we've landed players of Beni's and Devlin's quality after some of the dross we've seen in recent years...

Possibly, but after admin we Finnished 1st, 3rd and were about 3rd when he left the first time round. 

Savage wasn't around then and we were hampered by the financing of the stand. 

Bob can build a team. 

The signs are promising but as yet this team is still to prove it's even  as good as that. 

IMO it will be but all to prove in terms of the team and the new players ability to deliver over a season.

Edited by Smith's right boot

August Landmesser
38 minutes ago, blairdin said:

We've finished the big spending on the stand, and the pitch, and most other infrastructure, and now (as AB said we would way back at the start) we can spend on players & recruitment.

Literally building foundations for a club which will be capable of challenging at the top end of things.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

We've finished the big spending on the stand, and the pitch, and most other infrastructure, and now (as AB said we would way back at the start) we can spend on players & recruitment.

Literally building foundations for a club which will be capable of challenging at the top end of things.

Yip. 

The only **** up was not doing enough to keep Bob the first time. 

A big one tho given what happened next. 

LarrysRightFoot

He’s spoken about how he wants to play before but at least now he’s starting to back it up. 

We are still at the beginning of the journey. We are still maybe 3 players short IMO opinion but I’m sure things are being worked on. It certainly a lot more positive. 

20 hours ago, Spellczech said:

In his Mk 1 time at Hearts he didnt have the same input into the type of players he wanted in the squad ... this time he obviously has

LarrysRightFoot
7 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

In his Mk 1 time at Hearts he didnt have the same input into the type of players he wanted in the squad ... this time he obviously has

Tbf to him I do think the dinosaurs that are Levein and Murray did hold a lot of influence 

11 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

He’s spoken about how he wants to play before but at least now he’s starting to back it up. 

We are still at the beginning of the journey. We are still maybe 3 players short IMO opinion but I’m sure things are being worked on. It certainly a lot more positive. 

Quality wing backs and maybe another striker short of a bloody decent team imo

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Probably a transfer window or 2 short of being able to challenge the of. 

But we can dream and hopefully keep winning. 

25 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

We’ve got to clear our current debts though. The next accounts will show us that picture. 

LarrysRightFoot
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Quality wing backs and maybe another striker short of a bloody decent team imo

We def need a RWB and I’d like to see a ruthless number 9 - I like Boyce but we must always strive for better. I’d like another buzz bomb in midfield as well tbh. 

hearts have really upped their game in the whole area of identifying and then recruiting players. Whilst Savage is more vocal and ‘known face’, we now have a newly recruited team working around this whole area. Feels more professional and business like. High stakes but if it pays off, we will have good players coming to the club to make a difference and let us win things, as well as them then bring sellable assets. good times now and ahead 👍

2 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Tbf to him I do think the dinosaurs that are Levein and Murray did hold a lot of influence 

Particularly the former ...especially if favoured agents didnt endorse the potential targets the scouting Department and/or Head Coach put forward. In our approach Hearts are polar opposites now. What was conflict is now collaboration.